News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-14 in Georgia

Started by Grzrd, August 01, 2018, 11:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This article reports on the efforts of a freshman at the University of Georgia to continue I-14 through Georgia and Alabama:

For more than nine months, Frank Lumpkin IV has been promoting the need and benefits of creating an Interstate 14 with a path that also would move traffic through the Columbus-Phenix City area.
The Columbus High graduate and University of Georgia student, who launched a nonprofit organization earlier this year with two Phenix City friends, Justus Armstrong and Carsen Story, now has a polished video to go with the efforts.
Its goal is simple: To draw attention to the proposed Interstate 14 and why it will help reduce poverty, create businesses and improve the lives of residents in communities along its route. The major highway eventually would stretch from west Texas across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and into Georgia, where after "I always start out by saying the biggest thing holding this back is lack of awareness. We have to get the word out about this,"  Lumpkin said. "The politicians aren't going to listen unless the constituency base is for this project, and for that to happen, they have to know about it."
."I always start out by saying the biggest thing holding this back is lack of awareness. We have to get the word out about this,"  Lumpkin said. "The politicians aren't going to listen unless the constituency base is for this project, and for that to happen, they have to know about it."
There has been some success there, with Columbus Council having approved a resolution last fall supporting an Interstate 14. Russell County in Alabama also has given its stamp of approval. Lumpkin said he expects Macon to approve a resolution at some point, and he will be speaking to residents of Talbot County next week.
All of the Georgia cities and counties that Lumpkin's Youth Infrastructure Coalition is focusing on most intently are those along what is known as the Fall Line Freeway, which runs from Columbus through the Macon area and northeast Augusta.

"We're working on getting some very minor legislation passed in local communities,"  Lumpkin said. "This isn't going to be something that Congress just says we want to do. They're going to want approval from their constituents, and the local municipalities. What we're doing currently is going from local community to local community to local community that's on the I-14 route, and we're requesting that they pass resolutions advocating for Interstate 14."
The new video, called "My14"  and produced by Columbus-based Naartjie Multimedia, lays out a logical, methodical case for why a new east-west interstate located between the existing east-west Interstates 20 and 10 is necessary to improve areas that have been economically depressed for decades.
"Whether you are young or old, if you live within 100 miles of the proposed route, completing or abandoning this project will impact your future. This highway is crucial and your support can guarantee its completion,"  a narrator tells viewers.
The promotional video notes that a federal study was commissioned in 2010 to explore alternative routes from Natchez, Miss., to Augusta, Ga., with the report presented to Congress.
It also said much of the infrastructure work already has been accomplished in the form of limited-access highways such as J.R. Allen Parkway in Columbus that could be converted to interstate standards with "minor modifications."
"So we're not so much building a new highway as we're taking what's already there, upgrading it, and connecting it to other roads,"  the video explains. "There will be little disruption in existing communities and minimal imminent domain land acquisition costs."
Lumpkin said he isn't sure what route the proposed I-14 could take after it leaves Montgomery, Ala., then hitches a ride on Interstate 85 north until moving eastward toward Columbus. It could be either U.S. Highway 80 near Tuskegee or U.S. Highway 280 in Opelika, both eventually funneling traffic through congested areas as they approach Phenix City.

On the topic of reducing poverty, the My14 video flashes a sign that proclaims: "The gateway to economic prosperity is lined with concrete and asphalt."  The highway's proposed route moves through areas where median household incomes are significantly lower than the nation's average, it says.
"Economic prosperity comes from trade, and Interstate 14 is about connecting places,"  the narrator says in the video. "It will connect forts, it will connect ports, it will connect major cities. It will intersect 12 other interstate highways and a multitude of secondary routes. A robust transportation network that will improve access and destination traffic that will stop as needed for hotels,fast food, gas, etc., as well as local attractions like museums, theaters and historic sites."
Portions of the video show the whitewater course on the Chattahoochee River in the Columbus-Phenix City downtown area, as well the area around the National Infantry Museum, and aerial shots of Columbus Park Crossing and J.R. Allen Parkway.
"All of these businesses and more will benefit directly from the increased volume of consumers because it's cheaper to ship products along interstates. Warehousing and manufacturing firms seek locations connected to the grid,"  the video says. "This interstate will attract these sorts of businesses to the area surrounding I-14. And businesses already on the route can more easily expand their operations as they reap the benefits of enhanced connectivity."  
Before closing, the clip ticks off even more benefits of an I-14. They include construction jobs along the route for its building and long-term maintenance. Military bases will be better connected to each other and training sites, as well as to ports from where they might deploy, it says. Finally, it notes that a new interstate will take some pressure off of existing corridors, with an implication that cities like Atlanta will be among the benefactors.
"This is the idea that I-14 encompasses,"  the video says in closing with quick clips of business people, a farmer, a truck driver, a fireman and families, all holding a mock Interstate 14 sign.
"Tell your friends about it. Tell your local representatives about it. And tell your state and national representatives that you want this road built,"  the clip says. "Every place on the I-14 route has nothing to lose, but so much to gain. This will be your interstate. Together, let's make I-14 a reality. The future of our region depends on it."

He's a one-man booster group.

bigdave

Quote from: Grzrd on August 01, 2018, 11:41:56 AM

He's a one-man booster group.

Great post, I always wondered what FritzOwl looks like.  :bigass:

Just kidding, it's nice to see a young man who cares and I wish him well with his efforts here.

sparker

I remember the original I-14 proposal -- essentially an eastern extension of what's being proposed in TX, LA, and MS but extended into AL and approaching Montgomery from the southwest so as to utilize the proposed southern bypass of that city.  IIRC, it featured a convoluted route east of Columbus along GA 26 -- which seemed a bit gratuitous (probably someone involved in the planning lived or owned property in that area), as there's an upgradeable (US 80/GA 96) corridor heading more directly toward Macon and the eastern portion of the Fall Line expressway.  Personally, I'd be more inclined to consider this a western extension of I-16, with the eastern Fall Line receiving another designation.  However, since the "I-85" extension along US 80 west of Montgomery toward I-20/59 seems to be in limbo these days, perhaps if Mr. Lumpkin's efforts were to encompass a revival of the original Laurel (MS)-Montgomery corridor concept it might gain some initial traction (whereas the original was just an unexplored line on a paper since the early '00's).  I don't think the Congressperson who proposed the original I-14 alignment 15-odd years ago is still around (IIRC, he was also partially responsible for the fatally flawed "I-3" corridor plans), so it'll be interesting to see if a "bottom-up/grass roots" effort will provide more favorable results than the original concept.   

I just hope he doesn't present a proposal with the term "imminent domain" within its text -- folks like him need to come off as both knowledgeable and credible in order to get their projects to the next level -- and silly mistakes can undermine the most earnest of efforts. 

The Ghostbuster

I wish the student luck. Since Interstate 14 seems unlikely to me outside of the existing route in Texas, he's going to need all the luck he can get.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 03, 2018, 05:44:36 PM
I wish the student luck. Since Interstate 14 seems unlikely to me outside of the existing route in Texas, he's going to need all the luck he can get.

If there's any place where the odds aren't abjectly stacked against efforts of this sort, it's that section of the country between (and including) North Carolina and Texas.  Except in the older inner cities (Memphis & New Orleans come to mind) there were never many consistent and/or vehement objections to Interstate development in general in the South (save the incredibly clueless I-3 proposal).  Maybe it's a desire to "stick it" to those damn urbanist Yankees, or just a longstanding regional "car culture" rearing its head, but the record is quite clear -- if you want to get an Interstate corridor rolling, your odds increase as you near the Gulf (with FL being an outlier!).

Eth

Quote from: sparker on August 04, 2018, 02:33:54 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 03, 2018, 05:44:36 PM

If there's any place where the odds aren't abjectly stacked against efforts of this sort, it's that section of the country between (and including) North Carolina and Texas.  Except in the older inner cities (Memphis & New Orleans come to mind) there were never many consistent and/or vehement objections to Interstate development in general in the South (save the incredibly clueless I-3 proposal).  Maybe it's a desire to "stick it" to those damn urbanist Yankees, or just a longstanding regional "car culture" rearing its head, but the record is quite clear -- if you want to get an Interstate corridor rolling, your odds increase as you near the Gulf (with FL being an outlier!).

Considering that the only new freeway development in Georgia since 2000 not carried out by county DOTs is the GA 316 upgrade, which can be generously described as glacial, I wouldn't be holding my breath on this one.

sparker

Quote from: Eth on August 04, 2018, 01:11:18 PM
Considering that the only new freeway development in Georgia since 2000 not carried out by county DOTs is the GA 316 upgrade, which can be generously described as glacial, I wouldn't be holding my breath on this one.

Yeah, the kid's definitely got an uphill battle in front of him.  The only real path to success here is for him to get as many of the original corridor promoters (if still around & active) behind him, provided they've maintained their "connections".  Also -- if he can get folks connected to Ft. Benning in his corner (it being the most prominent military establishment in the region -- and as such the singular exception to the "McGuffin" that is connectivity between various bases) it may give him additional traction.  Still, never an easy row to hoe!

bing101

sparker

Quote from: bing101 on August 07, 2018, 10:47:43 PM
https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/a_new_interstate_for_alabama_p.html

Here more on the I-14 talks. it includes Texas and it meets near I-10.

Looks as if the newfound emphasis on an eastern (past I-59) extension of I-14 is simply an appropriation of the long-dormant I-85 western extension from Montgomery to I-20/59 via Selma along with a multiplex with I-59 in MS (as if that route isn't multiplexed enough!).  From a fiscal POV, it makes more sense than a completely new-terrain corridor SW of Montgomery, as at least some of US 80 might be feasible for upgrades, since much of the 4-lane facility is relatively recent, including the high-level bridge over the navigable Tombigbee River.  Also, there is likely documentation of the initial planning efforts for the old I-85 concept, so the I-14 planners won't have to start from scratch.   

froggie

^ The I-85 extension got as far as a Draft EIS, but I don't think they ever finished a final EIS.  ALDOT would have to revisit that for any "I-14".

Tomahawkin

Just a quick thought that the Savannah port expansion might necessitate this corridor, as alternatives to IH 10 and IH 20. I wish they would provide more North/South routes through north Florida and Georgia to alleviate summer/hurricane traffic. But thats a different issue...

sparker

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2018, 04:12:52 PM
^ The I-85 extension got as far as a Draft EIS, but I don't think they ever finished a final EIS.  ALDOT would have to revisit that for any "I-14".

That would be pretty much a given, seeing as how the major push for the "I-85" extension occurred between 12 and 18 years ago.  Also, since development of the southern Montgomery bypass corridor has been seemingly stalled, revisiting that project may well be a prerequisite to any planning of the westerly extension along US 80.  As a side note:  if a I-14 corridor is indeed routed over that bypass, then the plans to reroute the I-85 mainline over it (largely as part of the previously planned western extension) and redesignate the present in-town segment of I-85 as I-685 will likely also require revisiting, unless I-85 is simply multiplexed with I-14 west to its I-65 terminus.

froggie

^ Was a bit more recent than that.  The I-85 Draft EIS was completed in 2010.

sparker

Quote from: froggie on August 08, 2018, 07:06:17 PM
^ Was a bit more recent than that.  The I-85 Draft EIS was completed in 2010.

Sounds like the EIS was completed well after most of the hubbub about the extension had died down; hadn't heard much about significant activities, promotional or otherwise, after about 2008 or so.  But I've got a question regarding the Montgomery bypass; the connection to I-85 was made several years ago, but with little more than a "stub end" extending south from the interchange.  Were the plans (a) put on hold pending funding identification, (b) stopped because of political opposition, (c) postponed until the disposition of the I-85 extension was addressed? (or any combination of the above).  If anyone can shed light on this situation, please do! 

froggie

sparker

Quote from: froggie on August 09, 2018, 06:40:22 AM
A

Thanks, sort of figured as much.  Addressed this in more detail in one of the other I-14 threads (looks like we've now got at least 3 of those going!); Mr. Lumpkin and associates have their work cut out for them.  Hope they're stockpiling plenty of Aleve; they're going to need it!

Gnutella

If this highway gets built, then it should be numbered I-18, not I-14.

sparker

Quote from: Gnutella on August 15, 2018, 03:44:03 AM
If this highway gets built, then it should be numbered I-18, not I-14.

The chances of it getting built anytime in the next 25 years are miniscule; but it's possible that the portion in AL (following US 80) and GA might be considered a logical western extension of I-16, since it would take yet another I-59 multiplex to shunt I-14 up from its east-from TX trajectory along US 84 through south-central MS.  But what it'll be designated is a matter for posterity; if it's I-16, then if and when the Fall Line from Macon to Augusta is brought up to Interstate standards, that could conceivably be I-18 (particularly if GA were ever to catch "NC Fever"!).

Gnutella

If I could build an I-14, then it'd be built from Midland, TX to Brunswick, GA.

sparker

^^^^^
Mr. Lumpkin and his friends had better have a miracle up their sleeve when dealing with Alabama; that state just functionally cancelled every "future but not immediate" freeway project via the EIS recission route; the only things left are the I-422 Birmingham bypass and the AL 108 Montgomery bypass (the latter simply stopped due to funding shortfalls).  The I-85 extension west of Montgomery to I-20/59 near Cuba -- which was to be utilized as part of the Lumpkin-suggested corridor -- was among the corridors effectively cancelled. 

Given this development it might be more germane if this gentleman's group concentrated on getting a Columbus-Macon in-state corridor developed, possibly as a I-16 westward extension, and then consider the eastern Fall Line from Macon to Augusta as a separate route (maybe I-18?).  His concept may fare better, at least in the short haul, as a purely GA undertaking.   

Grzrd

This Oct. 5 article reports that an initial bipartisan I-14 Caucus has been created to follow up on the proposed legislation of HR 6111, but with the interesting twist that it includes a legislator from Georgia (even though Georgia is not included in the legislation):

Congressmen Ralph Abraham, M.D., R-Alto, and Brian Babin, R-Texas, have created a bipartisan I-14 Caucus with the goal of expanding Interstate 14 through Central Louisiana.
This news follows the announcement this summer of legislation, HR 6111, the I-14 Expansion and Improvement Act of 2018, to designate existing roads into the congressionally designated I-14 corridor to include communities from Midland, Texas, to Laurel, Mississippi within a strategic corridor effectively connecting military bases from El Paso, Texas, to Charleston, South Carolina, with strategic ports where military equipment can be shipped in support of  our armed forces deployed around the world ....
But the interstate will extend through Mississippi and Alabama and continue to Augusta, Georgia, where it would connect, presumably, with Interstate 20 which connects with Interstate 26 to the Atlantic Coast.
Charter members of the caucus include congressmen from Texas, Louisiana and Georgia,
but it is anticipated that Mississippi and Alabama lawmakers will join the coalition, too, as military readiness for bases in their states will benefit as well ....
Joining Dr. Abraham and Babin as charter members of the I-14 Caucus are U.S. Reps. Drew Ferguson, R-Ga.; Roger Williams, R-Texas; Mike Conaway, R-Texas; Bill Flores, R-Texas; Mike Johnson, R-La.; Gene Green, D-Texas; and John Carter, R-Texas.

The college student has his first politician on board for his excellent adventure. It is interesting that Mississippi does not have a member on the Caucus even though the legislation included that state.

The Ghostbuster

Which Interstate do you all think will be completed in its entirety first? Interstate 14 or Interstate 69?

US 89

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 11, 2018, 04:57:48 PM
Which Interstate do you all think will be completed in its entirety first? Interstate 14 or Interstate 69?

Put it this way: I can see the reason for I-69 (although I don't know if we really needed all three of the W/C/E spurs in Texas). I don't see why we need I-14.

The Ghostbuster

I completely agree with you US 89. Interstate 14 outside of Texas seems like a pipe dream to me.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
With one unfunded corridor (I-69) already on the back burner due to funding shortfalls, it's likely the position of MS (both its DOT or any other state entity involved in such activities) is to simply let others plan as many corridors as they like within their state -- knowing full well that nothing will be done without funds from external sources -- and when and if such occurs, it will jurisdictionally fall to them to actually deploy the facility.  Right now there's little they can or will do -- and I-14 in MS is slated to follow an existing cross-state arterial (US 84) closely in any case -- so without the funding to even conduct studies regarding corridor specifics, MS is probably electing to sit back and let these ad hoc committees and "caucuses" do their thing; they'll get officially involved when there's reason to do so (read: available $$$$ !). 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.