News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locally Maintained Freeways and Interchanges

Started by thefraze_1020, August 05, 2018, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefraze_1020

Like the title says, what are some examples of interchanges or even whole freeways that are maintained at the local level? That is, below the state route, US route, and Interstate level. This could be city roads, county roads, etc.

Two examples that come to mind for me are the Delta Highway in Eugene, Oregon, and the West Seattle Freeway from I-5 to West Seattle.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

NE2

mostly complete list here (along with state maintained freeways with no posted number): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NE2/unnumbered_freeways
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US 89

Quote from: NE2 on August 05, 2018, 04:26:56 PM
mostly complete list here (along with state maintained freeways with no posted number): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NE2/unnumbered_freeways

The Gilcrease Expressway and LL Tisdale Parkway in Tulsa didn't make that list--presumably because they were built after the page was last edited.

NE2

Quote from: US 89 on August 05, 2018, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 05, 2018, 04:26:56 PM

The Gilcrease Expressway and LL Tisdale Parkway in Tulsa didn't make that list--presumably because they were built after the page was last edited.

Hm. For some unknown reason I included the Tisdale here instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:NE2/freeways
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

All the NYSDOT-owned freeways in NYC have maintenance done by NYCDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: vdeane on August 05, 2018, 08:38:50 PM
All the NYSDOT-owned freeways in NYC have maintenance done by NYCDOT.
They're also subject to NYC speed limit laws, hence why the city-wide freeway speed limit is 50mph.

wxfree

In Texas we have toll roads owned by regional authorities.  That's not exactly local, but it's below the state level.  One of them, in Brownsville, is numbered as a state highway and as I-169, but is owned by a regional authority.  I don't think there are any other regional authority roads that are designated state highways.  (Some people incorrectly refer to Toll 49 as Loop 49.  The section that is open was undesignated when the project was transferred to the regional authority.  It also isn't a freeway, so it doesn't relate to this topic.) There are also some county toll roads, which are truly local.  As far as I know, those exist only in the Houston area.  I don't know of any local non-toll freeways.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

sparker

It's not a freeway by any means, but in Santa Clara, there's a 3-way directional "stack" interchange between Coleman Ave. (coming in SE from San Jose), De La Cruz Blvd. (from the northern reaches of Santa Clara, directly north), and Davis St. in central Santa Clara; this branch includes a bridge over the UP/Caltrain tracks and El Camino Real (CA 82); this provides access to downtown Santa Clara as well as the University of Santa Clara, directly to the south.  The interchange is located within and maintained by the City of Santa Clara -- although the bridge over CA 82 does have a Caltrans inventory number (as with all bridges over state highways regardless of maintenance arrangement).   

WillWeaverRVA

Norfolk and Virginia Beach have a number of interchanges that were probably built by VDOT at one time but, as far as I can tell, are currently maintained by the cities (which maintain all non-interstate roads in the city limits, like other independent cities in Virginia). US 13/VA 225, US 13/US 60, US 13/US 58, and US 460/VA 168 come to mind.

Ferrell Pkwy (which isn't a freeway) in Virginia Beach ends at an interchange with Salem Rd and VA 165 (VA 165 northbound actually has a left exit onto Ferrell Pkwy).

VA 168 in Norfolk has some interchanges with surface streets since it has to go above-grade due to a rail line in the area.

I'm not sure who maintains the interchanges along the new US 17 toll road in Chesapeake.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NWI_Irish96

An interchange in Clarksville, IN, between what used to be IN 62 and IN 131 is now locally maintained since 62 was rerouted and 131 decommissioned.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Joe The Dragon

ilpt4u

How about Clark County 215/Northern/Western part of the Vegas Beltway/(the non-I-215 part)

TheStranger

Interchanges in SF along municipally-maintained streets:

- the Geary Expressway, specifically in Japantown (Fillmore Street exit) and Laurel Heights (Masonic and Presidio Avenues)

- Sunset Boulevard at Lincoln Way on the south edge of Golden Gate Park
Chris Sampang

froggie

QuoteI'm not sure who maintains the interchanges along the new US 17 toll road in Chesapeake.

It and VA 168 south of 64 are owned and operated by the city.

Techknow

Quote from: TheStranger on August 07, 2018, 04:27:47 PM

- the Geary Expressway, specifically in Japantown (Fillmore Street exit) and Laurel Heights (Masonic and Presidio Avenues)

There's also San Jose Avenue from Randall Street to the I-280 Interchange. The northbound section has an at-grade intersection so it's not a freeway but the southbound section only has exits and even has an old BGS.

From what I found in cahighways (which mentions you), this is the current remains of the "Mission Freeway", does that sound right?

bing101

Air Base Parkway and North Texas Street interchange is made by the City of Fairfield, CA.

All of Summerlin Parkways exits are made by the city of Las Vegas or Clark County, NV.

TheStranger

Quote from: Techknow on August 07, 2018, 06:31:24 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 07, 2018, 04:27:47 PM

There's also San Jose Avenue from Randall Street to the I-280 Interchange. The northbound section has an at-grade intersection so it's not a freeway but the southbound section only has exits and even has an old BGS.

From what I found in cahighways (which mentions you), this is the current remains of the "Mission Freeway", does that sound right?

Oh yeah, that's correct. (IIRC Mission Freeway was an early proposal that followed off of 101 originally using the Southern Freeway/El Camino Real routing in the 1950s)  What is tricky - are the interchanges all tied into the I-280 junction (and possibly state maintained) or actually entirely city-maintained?
Chris Sampang

plain

Even though it's an interstate, isn't I-83 inside Baltimore maintained by the city?

Also, adding to the aforementioned Virginia examples:

Charlottesville maintains most of the interchanges along US 250 (Charlottesville Bypass) in that city.

Danville maintains all interchanges in that city except those along US 29 (Danville Bypass).

Hampton maintains the interchanges at US 258 & LaSalle Ave (former VA 167), US 258 & VA 278, and VA 134 & VA 172.

Newport News maintains the US 17/258 & US 60 interchange.

Richmond maintains the US 60 & VA 161 interchange, as well as its portion of VA 150 (Chippenham Pkwy).

Arlington County may maintain some interchanges within its borders, not sure which ones though.

Based on certain signage I saw a few weeks ago, I believe the Suffolk Bypass might be now maintained by Suffolk, not 100% sure.

Not sure about Fredericksburg or Lynchburg.
Newark born, Richmond bred

froggie

Quote from: plainArlington County may maintain some interchanges within its borders, not sure which ones though.

None of them, actually, as VDOT maintains all primary routes within Arlington...not just the Interstates.

GreenLanternCorps

I think the Harshman Road & Springfield Street interchange in Riverside, Ohio (near Dayton) is maintained by Riverside since neither road is a state highway.

Big John

County CE and County N interchange east of Appleton, WI.

SD Mapman

Closest example I can think of is the Shawnee Mission Parkway in Johnson County Kansas (the section just east of I-435)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Beltway

What about a local/regional toll road authority?

The Richmond Metropolitan Authority administered the construction and the administers the maintenance of the VA-195 Downtown Expressway and the VA-76 Powhite Parkway.

These freeways are entirely within the City of Richmond.

(The VA-76 Powhite Parkway Extension in Chesterfield County is adminstered by VDOT).
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Flint1979

I can't think of anything in Michigan that would resemble this. M-8 use to be like this, it's the Davison Freeway in Detroit and it was built in the 1940's as a quick way to get across Highland Park and on both ends it goes back to a city street. The Davison was closed completely in 1996 to completely rebuild the highway three years after it became M-8, before 1993 it was a county freeway.

Davison was the only street in Highland Park that went border to border connecting with a Detroit street as every other east-west street ends at Oakland Avenue. Oakland, Woodward, 2nd, 3rd and Hamilton are the only north-south streets to go border to border. Back when this freeway was built you had 50,000 people living in Highland Park, 1.6 million people living in Detroit and 50,000 people living in adjoining Hamtramck.

tdindy88

Shadeland Avenue from Washington Street to I-465 in Indianapolis, used to be a state highway.

Also the Sam Jones Expressway from I-465 to I-70 near the old entrance to the Indianapolis International Airport. To my knowledge it's always been a city highway.

And Keystone Parkway from 96th Street to 146th Street in Carmel, for all intents and purposes nearly a freeway-style road and formerly a state highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.