News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locally Maintained Freeways and Interchanges

Started by thefraze_1020, August 05, 2018, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

There is St. Johns County Road 210 (Nocatee Parkway) is not state maintained near Jacksonville.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: ilpt4u on August 07, 2018, 04:13:53 PM
How about Clark County 215/Northern/Western part of the Vegas Beltway/(the non-I-215 part)

Of the roughly 51 miles of the entire Las Vegas Beltway (I-215 and CC-215), only about 4 miles are maintained by NDOT: The portion from the I-515/US 95 to about 2 miles west, and the 2-mile portion between I-15 and the Warm Springs Rd interchange. The part of I-215 between these sections is currently owned and maintained by Clark County.

Quote from: bing101 on August 07, 2018, 06:42:46 PM
All of Summerlin Parkways exits are made by the city of Las Vegas or Clark County, NV.

Summerlin Pkwy is maintained by the City of Las Vegas, interchanges and all. The area at the CC-215 interchange may be jointly maintained by Clark County. The first half mile or so near the US 95 interchange (within the ramp areas) may actually be maintained by NDOT.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

"Airport Expressway", the "freeway" connector between Seatac Airport and WA-518 may not count as a freeway, especially because of the 40 (instead of 60) limit, though it has a freeway look to it, and the exit ramps are marked with "EXIT" gore signs.

The road was built and maintained by the Port of Seattle. I guess the port got permission to use Clearview; all the road signs use the font.

SSOWorld

Lake Shore Drive and the Skyway are maintained by CDOT and a private entity (Skyway Concessions) leasing it respectively in Chicago.  Only within the last few years did CDOT finally put up MUTCD compliant signs along LSD.

LSD is very substandard as a freeway and without shoulders or regulation ramps is dangerous for high speeds.  Despite the low speed limit (45?) it's average speed is way over 55.

The Skyway was marked "TO I-90" for a long time and only recently the "TO" signs were removed while exit tabs were installed on the signs.  It also lacks shoulders as it is an older freeway.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

cpzilliacus

Baltimore City, Maryland maintains all of I-83 (Jones Falls Expressway) within its city limits.  The city also maintains the freeway part of U.S. 40 along Franklin Street (former I-170)  and MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) inside city limits.

Other Interstates in or passing through Baltimore City (I-95, I-395, I-695 and I-895) are considered toll maintenance, and thus  maintained by the state through the Maryland Transportation Authority.

In Northern Virginia, the "free" Dulles Airport Access Road (unsigned VA-90004) legally for traffic to and from the airport only and the parallel Dulles Toll Road (VA-267) are maintained and operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

abefroman329

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 12, 2018, 06:23:02 PMLSD is very substandard as a freeway and without shoulders or regulation ramps is dangerous for high speeds.  Despite the low speed limit (45?) it's average speed is way over 55.
40 from the northern terminus to the Michigan Ave exit, 45 south of the Stevenson, not sure about the speed limit in between. I usually do 60 from Hollywood south.

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 12, 2018, 06:23:02 PMThe Skyway was marked "TO I-90" for a long time and only recently the "TO" signs were removed while exit tabs were installed on the signs.
That's because there was some uncertainty over whether the Skyway had ever been officially designated I-90.

theline

Maybe it's a bit of a stretch calling it a freeway, but how about Veterans Memorial Parkway in Evansville? The only interchange is at the west end, at US-41 and I-69, and at the west end it becomes Riverside Drive, a surface street. In between, it is controlled access.

roadman65

Most airport freeways leading in and out of the terminals are not state or even city maintained.  The JFK access road in NYC is, I think, maintained not by NYCDOT or NYSDOT, but the PANYNJ due to them operating the airport.

Sheryl Crowe

thefraze_1020

Although not a freeway, in Mount Vernon, WA, there is a pseudo-interchange on Riverside Drive at the south end of the bridge over the Skagit River. This was put in when the bridge opened in 2003.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4432119,-122.3355057,250m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Mccojm

The only one that comes to mind for me on Long Island, ny is Suffolk county DPW maintained CR-97 Nicolls Rd which is sorta a freeway between green belt pkwy intersection just north of ny27 North to intersection with Suffolk county community college. The rest of the highway has at grade signalized intersections.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Westchester County maintains its stretch of the Bronx River Parkway. You can instantly tell the difference between state and county maintained parkways in Westchester based on the lane striping–NYSDOT uses the standard 10'—30' interval while Westchester uses 20'—20'.

vdeane

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on August 15, 2018, 12:27:31 AM
Westchester County maintains its stretch of the Bronx River Parkway. You can instantly tell the difference between state and county maintained parkways in Westchester based on the lane striping–NYSDOT uses the standard 10'—30' interval while Westchester uses 20'—20'.
Not to mention all the signage in Clearview.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Laura

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 12, 2018, 06:35:47 PM
Baltimore City, Maryland maintains all of I-83 (Jones Falls Expressway) within its city limits.  The city also maintains the freeway part of U.S. 40 along Franklin Street (former I-170)  and MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) inside city limits.

Other Interstates in or passing through Baltimore City (I-95, I-395, I-695 and I-895) are considered toll maintenance, and thus  maintained by the state through the Maryland Transportation Authority.

Correct, and it's painfully obvious what City DOT maintains...those roads are a living museum, which is great for us roadgeeks, but really bad for driving on. I had to drive through a flood once (with Fire dept guidance) on the BW Pkwy...not fun...they ended up closing the road not long after I went through.

Quote from: plain on August 07, 2018, 10:11:46 PM
Not sure about Fredericksburg or Lynchburg.

Yes to Lynchburg - once again the lack of maintenance is the giveaway...the Lynchburg Expressway was a mess when I lived there from 2005-2009. That said, I heard that they've updated a lot of the city's roads, and either added or are in the process of adding a new interchange with Odd Fellows Rd, so my info could be out of date. (How is 2009 nine years ago!?)

iPhone

roadman65

Who maintains the All American Freeway in Fayetteville, NC?

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

^ Unless they have an agreement with the local jurisdictions, it would be NCDOT, since the roadway is officially part of NCDOT's secondary road network (SR 1007 in this case).  On base would be DOD, but I'm not sure where the transition would be, whether it's at the base gate or at the 295 interchange.

wriddle082

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2018, 08:52:47 PM
^ Unless they have an agreement with the local jurisdictions, it would be NCDOT, since the roadway is officially part of NCDOT's secondary road network (SR 1007 in this case).  On base would be DOD, but I'm not sure where the transition would be, whether it's at the base gate or at the 295 interchange.

NCDOT has precedents with state-maintained unnumbered freeways, with Bryan Blvd and parts of Wendover Ave in Greensboro, and Wade Ave in Raleigh.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on August 07, 2018, 10:11:46 PM
Not sure about Fredericksburg or Lynchburg.

Pretty sure Fredericksburg maintains the US 1/VA 3 interchange, even though a lot of the signs in that area are VDOT installs. I think the same is true for the VA 3/US 17 Bus-VA 2 interchange.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

roadman65

Sam Jones Expressway in Indy before being downgraded to arterial.  It never had a number, and was full freeway between I-465 and I-70 until the airport terminal relocated thus not making it the important freeway it used to be anymore.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2018, 05:38:33 PM
Sam Jones Expressway in Indy before being downgraded to arterial.  It never had a number, and was full freeway between I-465 and I-70 until the airport terminal relocated thus not making it the important freeway it used to be anymore.

Isn't it still the most direct mostly-freeway route from I-74 to the west into downtown? Seems like they should've squeezed in an SB-EB flyover at the interchange with 465.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

mgk920

The last that I heard, Campus Dr in Madison, WI is owned/maintained by the City of Madison.

Mike

westerninterloper

Quote from: Roadsguy on August 23, 2018, 09:44:42 AM

Isn't it still the most direct mostly-freeway route from I-74 to the west into downtown? Seems like they should've squeezed in an SB-EB flyover at the interchange with 465.

No, that's farther north. Sam Jones is farther south leading to the old airport terminal area.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Roadsguy

Quote from: westerninterloper on August 23, 2018, 10:24:46 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on August 23, 2018, 09:44:42 AM

No, that's farther north. Sam Jones is farther south leading to the old airport terminal area.

I meant this. It being the fastest route, plus the heavy volumes of that movement necessitating a triple-left onto Sam Jones Expressway, suggests turning the road into a high-speed freeway-freeway link for those movements would be warranted.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: mgk920 on August 23, 2018, 10:14:10 AM
The last that I heard, Campus Dr in Madison, WI is owned/maintained by the City of Madison.

Mike

This isn't a freeway though?

Oh, missed the section about single interchanges.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mapman1071

City of Phoenix, AZ: E. Sky Harbor Blvd & S. 44th Street & S. 41st Street/S. 42nd Street Interchange
City of Tempe AZ: N. Mill Avenue/ W. Van Buren Street & W. Center Parkway

sprjus4

Adding to Virginia examples, the recent US-17 expansion to a freeway, and the VA-168 Chesapeake Expressway, both in Chesapeake, are maintained by the city. Interestingly enough, Chesapeake also built the US-17 expansion, and most of the Chesapeake Expressway themselves (with the Great Bridge Bypass in 1981 being the exception), most of it toll financed though. VDOT doesn't control anything south of I-64.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.