Freeways that only use or are missing a certain interchange type

Started by Bruce, September 19, 2018, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Just curious if there's other examples of this. Either a freeway that lacks a common kind of interchange (diamond, cloverleaf, etc.) or only uses one broad type.

Example: Interstate 182 in the Tri-Cities region of Washington has no interchanges that don't include some kind of loop ramp. Two of them used to be diamond-only, but loop ramps were added fairly recently.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Bruce on September 19, 2018, 10:14:32 PM
Just curious if there's other examples of this. Either a freeway that lacks a common kind of interchange (diamond, cloverleaf, etc.) or only uses one broad type.

Example: Interstate 182 in the Tri-Cities region of Washington has no interchanges that don't include some kind of loop ramp. Two of them used to be diamond-only, but loop ramps were added fairly recently.
IL's portion of I-24 in Southern IL only has Diamond Interchanges for its (few) exits. Its termination @ I-57 is some kind of Trumpet/Y Interchange Hybrid, kinda looking thing...

I'm guessing that "creative"  termination was designed, with a thought of some (probably never to be) direct to STL Freeway I-24 extension across Southwestern IL

plain

There are 20 interchanges along I-295 in Virginia. Of which only 5 of them are not full cloverleafs:

-The two endpoints, though one of them (Exit 53) was originally supposed to be one.

-a trumpet interchange at VA 895 (Exit 25).

-a diamond diamond interchange at SR 618 (Exit 16) just north of Hopewell. This one is designed to be upgraded to a cloverleaf in the future.

-the northern I-295/I-95 junction (Exit 43 A-B) is almost one except it has a directional ramp from 95 SB to 295 SB instead of a loop.
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Interesting thread idea; I recall discussion along similar lines in another thread several months ago.

*The Lake Ontario State Parkway uses folded diamonds exclusively, with just one or two exceptions.
*NY 104 only has traditional diamonds (often involving slip ramps to and from the service road). The entire 13-mile freeway has exactly two loop ramps - both eastbound off-ramps -here and here.
*The tolled segments of the NYS Thruway have only trumpet interchanges, which goes without saying.

Other than that, interchange types on all the other freeways around here are fairly varied. The only other noteworthy thing being that full cloverleaves are entirely absent from the entire Rochester metro (I-490 and NY 33 comes very close, but even it is incomplete - NY 33 WB to I-490 EB requires a left turn).

To answer the OP directly, yes, I-590, I-390, and the NY 531 and NY 104 freeways are entirely devoid of cloverleaves, and I'd say I-490 as well, except for the interchange linked to above. As such, NY's Finger Lakes Region probably has the lowest cloverleaves-per-capita in the nation; and I limit it just to the Finger Lakes because Buffalo is full of them - three on I-90, one on US 219, and, depending on technicalities, up to four (but at least two) on I-290.

Brandon

I-355, Veterans Memorial Tollway (aka North-South Tollway), lacks any cloverleafs.  There are a grand total of four loop ramps; one at Lake St, two at Army Trail Rd, and one at I-55.  There are no SPUIs or DDIs either.

I-180 only has the following: diamond, three-level, and trumpet (at I-80).

IL-390 currently has diamonds and a three-level stack with two loops.

And to top that off, no four-level stacks exist anywhere in the entire state of Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2018, 11:37:09 AM
*The tolled segments of the NYS Thruway have only trumpet interchanges, which goes without saying.
*ahem*

Other than that, interchange types on all the other freeways around here are fairly varied. The only other noteworthy thing being that full cloverleaves are entirely absent from the entire Rochester metro (I-490 and NY 33 comes very close, but even it is incomplete - NY 33 WB to I-490 EB requires a left turn).

To answer the OP directly, yes, I-590, I-390, and the NY 531 and NY 104 freeways are entirely devoid of cloverleaves, and I'd say I-490 as well, except for the interchange linked to above. As such, NY's Finger Lakes Region probably has the lowest cloverleaves-per-capita in the nation; and I limit it just to the Finger Lakes because Buffalo is full of them - three on I-90, one on US 219, and, depending on technicalities, up to four (but at least two) on I-290.
There used to be some.  NY 47/US 104 (now NY 590/NY 404) was a cloverleaf until the loop ramps on the western half, as well as the entire northeastern quadrant, were removed and the remaining ramps realigned to support left turns.  Half of what is now Warrenton Street was part of the ramps (the remainder of the street was inside the interchange).  The ramp from NY 590 south was realigned (the original path is visible in the aerial imagery), but the other ramps are original to the interchange.  I-490/NY 31F was also a cloverleaf, but only the southern half shows evidence of this.  And, of course, the Thruway/NY 96, before the Thruway was made into a toll road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheStranger

Every single exit on the Warren Freeway/Route 13 in Oakland/Berkeley, except for the freeway's north terminus at Route 24, uses at least one ramp to or from a frontage road.

All of the portions of Route 58 that are freeway (including the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield) do not have a single full cloverleaf interchange.  Same is true for all the freeway segments of Route 198.

Every interchange on Route 23 north of US 101 has a loop ramp, as all but one are full parclos.  The junction with Route 118 is half-diamond, half-parclo.

I-105/Century Freeway (completed ca. 1992) does not have a single full cloverleaf interchange.

All of Route 15/Interstate 15 from start to finish (San Diego to Canada) does not have a full cloverleaf!
Chris Sampang

Roadsguy

I don't think any roads in PA use only one interchange type. The Turnpike once qualified (with trumpets) but hasn't for decades since the "new" Mid-County and Virginia Drive interchanges were added.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on September 20, 2018, 11:50:30 AM
I-355, Veterans Memorial Tollway (aka North-South Tollway), lacks any cloverleafs.  There are a grand total of four loop ramps; one at Lake St, two at Army Trail Rd, and one at I-55.  There are no SPUIs or DDIs either.

And to top that off, no four-level stacks exist anywhere in the entire state of Illinois.
Does not 355 have a loop ramp @ US 6 on the Will County Extension?

hotdogPi

US 3 in Massachusetts has no standard diamonds with one segment in each quadrant.

I-93 in Massachusetts has only one (Exit 3).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

briantroutman

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 20, 2018, 01:36:19 PM
I don't think any roads in PA use only one interchange type. The Turnpike once qualified (with trumpets) but hasn't for decades since the "new" Mid-County and Virginia Drive interchanges were added.

The window of time becomes even smaller when you consider that there was the old Carlisle Interchange (today's Carlisle Interchange was called Middlesex) that existed from 1940 until the Philadelphia Extension opened in 1950 and the original New Stanton Interchange with lasted from 1940-1964.

So the "trumpets-only"  era ran from 1964-1992, 28 years out of the Turnpike's 78-year history.

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 20, 2018, 01:47:42 PM

They're loops in that it's a folded diamond, not a parclo.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 89

I-70 is the only interstate in Utah missing a SPUI.

There is only one full cloverleaf in the entire state of Utah, and that is the I-215 and SR-201 interchange in West Valley. There were previously a couple on I-15, but they were removed maybe ten years ago. One is now a standard diamond; the other is now an interesting design combining a diamond interchange with a Texas U-turn.

Quote from: Brandon on September 20, 2018, 03:03:18 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 20, 2018, 01:47:42 PM

I was always under the impression that a folded diamond was a type of parclo.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2018, 03:07:19 PM

A parclo functions like a cloverleaf with two missing ramps, while this type of interchange has no functional comparison to a cloverleaf. Functionally, it has much more in common with a diamond, just with loop ramps (meaning no getting off and right back on).

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 20, 2018, 01:05:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2018, 11:37:09 AM
*ahem*

Yeah, I figured someone would come up with a counter, but I couldn't think of any as I composed that post (and I've frustratingly never been on that segment of I-87).

QuoteThe ramp from NY 590 south was realigned (the original path is visible in the aerial imagery), but the other ramps are original to the interchange.

Interesting; I always wondered why that ramp to NY 590 South takes such a lopsided course with that 30 mph curve. It would've aided morning traffic flow (and evening, for that matter) if they'd straightened it so traffic could merge at-speed.

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on September 20, 2018, 01:33:01 PM
Every single exit on the Warren Freeway/Route 13 in Oakland/Berkeley, except for the freeway's north terminus at Route 24, uses at least one ramp to or from a frontage road.

All of the portions of Route 58 that are freeway (including the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield) do not have a single full cloverleaf interchange.  Same is true for all the freeway segments of Route 198.

Every interchange on Route 23 north of US 101 has a loop ramp, as all but one are full parclos.  The junction with Route 118 is half-diamond, half-parclo.

I-105/Century Freeway (completed ca. 1992) does not have a single full cloverleaf interchange.

All of Route 15/Interstate 15 from start to finish (San Diego to Canada) does not have a full cloverleaf!

Caltrans has shied away from full cloverleaves for well over 30 years because of the conflicting traffic movement aspects of that design.  Many of the previous cloverleaves have been converted to parclos (especially along US 101 in Santa Clara County); D4 is particularly "allergic" to them (the 101/880 interchange is a prime example of the limitations and/or hazards of that design).  When it comes to C/D roads, it's clear that even when cloverleaves were being built, the additional space required for those additional lanes were considered inappropriate for urban construction.  And the few freeway-to-freeway cloverleaves have almost all been modified with flyovers for the more heavily-trafficked movements (the 60/91/215 interchange in Riverside being a prime example of this; the 5/55 interchange in Tustin being another).  The last freeway-to-freeway cloverleaf to be constructed in the state, the I-5/I-80 (originally the first I-880 iteration at time of construction) did utilize C/D lanes (they had the room to do so) as well as a single flyover ramp for the most heavily-trafficked direction otherwise consigned to a loop (WB 80>SB 5).  At present, it's unlikely that any additional cloverleaves, C/D-equipped or not, will be deployed within the state in the near term, given the less than robust level of new facility development.

Curiously, very early examples of cloverleaves with C/D roads on the freeways could be found in the L.A. area on the San Bernardino/I-10 freeway between I-710 and Rosemead Blvd./CA 19(164); there were also a couple on I-5 in the Glendale/Burbank area at the Western Avenue and Alameda Avenue interchanges.  Originally, the right lane in either direction (on a generally 4+4 arrangement) exited onto and became the C/D road with the original 1957 construction; a 4th through lane was added as part of the adjacent I-5/CA 134 freeway interchange project in the late 1960's. 

CapeCodder

I've noticed here in MA that the parclo is used extensively in this region of the state. Practically every exit on 6 and 3 are of this design.

cwf1701

The eastern part of I-696 (Between I-75 and I-94, except for Mound Rd.) exits onto and enter from the 11 Mile road service drive.

GaryV

On Ontario 402, most if not all the 4-ramp interchanges are folded diamonds.  There are some parclo interchanges with 5 or 6 ramps.  But no regular diamonds.  There's a lot of folded diamonds on 401 too.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2018, 03:46:11 PM
Quote from: US 89 on September 20, 2018, 03:07:19 PM

A parclo functions like a cloverleaf with two missing ramps, while this type of interchange has no functional comparison to a cloverleaf. Functionally, it has much more in common with a diamond, just with loop ramps (meaning no getting off and right back on).

It's still a parclo. Any interchange where one or more ramps involves a 180 turn is a parclo. At least for the purposes of this thread, as Bruce's OP (I-182 in WA) has a folded diamond (otherwise his statement that every interchange involves a loop would be false). "Folded diamond" is a type of parclo.

vdeane

I don't think I've heard of anyone referring to a folded diamond as a parclo before this thread.  The definitive guide has them in with diamonds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

^ Actually, the definitive guide you linked captions the illustration as "4-ramp partial cloverleaf variants"  under the section heading "Diamonds and other 4-ramp interchanges".

US 89

From the Wikipedia article for Partial cloverleaf interchange:

QuoteParclo designs with only two quadrants are commonly referred to as folded diamonds, due to their similarity with diamond interchanges.

B2 configuration for right-hand traffic, or A2 for left-hand traffic. Also known as a folded diamond.

A parclo AB2 interchange or folded diamond

mrcmc888

DE-1 does not have any full cloverleafs across its entire length.  There are a couple instances where it has 3 loop ramps, but never all four at once.

TheOneKEA

In Maryland, none of the two-digit Interstates except for I-70 have any SPUIs, and none of them except for I-70 and I-95 have four-level stack interchanges of any sort.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.