News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Changes to Flickr Photos

Started by US71, November 01, 2018, 12:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quote from: MNHighwayManThat is, unless you're willing to kill links in your old posts (sucks to be anyone who finds an old thread pictureless!)

In my experience, those links get killed even without changes to Flickr's upload/storage quotas.  I've had a Flickr Pro account for years and I've still seen several old photos of mine go bad.  The page links remain good, but the direct photo hotlinking changes.

cjk374

I found a link to their explanation of changes when I logged into my account this morning. I knew greed was gonna come into play at some point. This really sucks.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Bruce

One option (for now) is to use Google Photos, which allows for free backups at "high" quality for a large amount of photos, or plugs into Google Drive for original quality photos. It can also generate decent links to share.

The Google Photos backup tool, however, was recently downgraded and now requires pulling teeth to run in the right folders.

hbelkins

Might as well ask this now -- can anyone recommend a good Flickr download utility, either a browser plugin or a standalone app? Either Mac or PC would work.

Yes, I have all my Flickr albums saved, but I'm not sure they're all in the same place and it might be handy to pull all my pics down and have yet another backup that I can use to upload all my albums to Facebook.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on November 05, 2018, 02:08:41 PM
Might as well ask this now -- can anyone recommend a good Flickr download utility, either a browser plugin or a standalone app? Either Mac or PC would work.

Yes, I have all my Flickr albums saved, but I'm not sure they're all in the same place and it might be handy to pull all my pics down and have yet another backup that I can use to upload all my albums to Facebook.

If you're downloading FROM Flickr they have a downloader.  Go to camera roll and choose which photos you want, They will download then to a Zip file.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bruce

Anything uploaded before November 1, 2018, with a Creative Commons license will be spared from deletion, apparently.

http://blog.flickr.net/2018/11/07/the-commons-the-past-is-100-part-of-our-future/

US 89

Quote from: Bruce on November 08, 2018, 02:09:51 AM
Anything uploaded before November 1, 2018, with a Creative Commons license will be spared from deletion, apparently.

http://blog.flickr.net/2018/11/07/the-commons-the-past-is-100-part-of-our-future/

I’m having a hard time figuring out whether that includes the CC BY-SA (Attribution-ShareAlike) license. If it does, that saves all of my currently uploaded photos.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on November 08, 2018, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 08, 2018, 02:09:51 AM

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether that includes the CC BY-SA (Attribution-ShareAlike) license. If it does, that saves all of my currently uploaded photos.

That covers about 99.5% of my photos, which are CC Attribution-ShareAlike.

Quote from: Flickr
Photos that were Creative Commons licensed before our announcement are also safe. We won't be deleting anything that was uploaded with a CC license before November 1, 2018. Even if you had more than 1,000 photos or videos with a CC license. However, if you do have more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded, you'll be unable to upload additional photos after January 8, 2019, unless you upgrade to a Pro account.

Bottom line: Flickr Commons photos will not be deleted. Anything uploaded with a CC license before November 1, 2018, won't be deleted, but users will need to upgrade to Pro to upload more than 1,000 photos or videos.

You can change the permissions on multiple photos though the Organizer feature, and choose the Permissions drop-down menu for Change Licensing. There's default settings for uploads, as well. But can't say for sure if changing them over will have any effect (they make it seem that settings/changes before November 1st are okay).

I'm going to guess this will count against your total, if you're not a Flickr Pro member. Unless I pay for a subscription, I'm going to be frozen at roughly 15,000 photos. They lost some Pro members who thought giving 1TB to everyone wasn't benefiting their paid subscription, but I knew the free buffet couldn't last forever.

vdeane

I'm guessing they specified a date to prevent people from changing the licence now to avoid deletion on a free account.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mdcastle

Looks like I'll be going out and deleting my account when I get around to it. Now that I'm locked out of my Wordpress Account and am over the new limit on Flickr I'm back to just occasional writing on streets.mn.

freebrickproductions

I bought Pro, since I have over 6,000 photos hosted on Flickr and don't want all of the various ones I've posted to go dead, along with having to back-up everything elsewhere. TBH, $50/year ain't that bad, less than $5 a month when you do the math. Certainly better than some other hosting services out there.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Is Ian aware of this, he is the head of the Pennsylvania roadgeek community, and I don't want to see his content deleted

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.