News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

All exit ramps have traffic signals

Started by SkyPesos, February 28, 2022, 11:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

webny99

You left out a very key piece of information: all exit ramps built prior to what year?  :sombrero:

hotdogPi

This thread is NSFW according to one of the URLs.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jmacswimmer

In your last link, the bridge to the left doesn't have any fencing even though it crosses a railroad! :-o
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

tolbs17

Your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th links are at busy intersections with a lot of traffic coming off the ramps.

The first link is at an intersection with many lanes so it makes sense to signalize it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: webny99 on February 28, 2022, 11:24:59 AM
You left out a very key piece of information: all exit ramps built prior to what year?  :sombrero:
Oh yea, I forgot. Let's go with 2023 for this one.

Quote from: 1 on February 28, 2022, 11:26:25 AM
This thread is NSFW according to one of the URLs.
And it happens to be the Greenville, NC example I picked. Totally not a coincidence  :clap:

Hobart

What about this example, in Palos Hills, Illinois, a very different location with different management than every example provided?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6674175,-87.8282718,3a,55.8y,196.04h,79.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNMEeiHOMZJaQ_QeD-XmQ0A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Tom958

Every offramp within thirty miles of here has a traffic signal (except for one roundabout interchange), but sometimes people forget, so...

https://goo.gl/maps/frkDp2UFnrxKzBXb7

US 89

Quote from: Tom958 on March 02, 2022, 05:47:09 AM
Every offramp within thirty miles of here has a traffic signal

I wish that were actually true. This one off northbound 75/85 at University Ave in Atlanta does not, probably because it's too close to the Pryor Rd intersection, and as a result it's damn near impossible to turn left there. I've exited there to hop over to Metropolitan/Northside and avoid Downtown Connector traffic a few times, but I'm not sure it has ever saved me any time in the end with how long it takes the typical huge line of cars to make that turn.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on March 02, 2022, 10:25:08 PM
Every offramp within thirty miles of here has a traffic signal

I wish that were actually true. This one off northbound 75/85 at University Ave in Atlanta does not, probably because it's too close to the Pryor Rd intersection, and as a result it's damn near impossible to turn left there. I've exited there to hop over to Metropolitan/Northside and avoid Downtown Connector traffic a few times, but I'm not sure it has ever saved me any time in the end with how long it takes the typical huge line of cars to make that turn.

Reminds me of the NY 31 intersections at NY 390 NB and Lee Road prior to reconstruction. It's now a single intersection, as you can see on the map and in the current Street View.

I'm not sure such a reconfiguration would be feasible in the Atlanta example, though, since the cross street (Pryor Rd) goes in both directions and the corresponding on-ramp is straight ahead. I'm actually surprised left turns are even allowed here given the poor alignment and the fact that you have to cross lanes of traffic - with no traffic control - at a point where there's not even any break in the pavement markings! If it ever was signalized, imagine how far back the stop line would have to be for traffic turning left onto the freeway!  I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it - and I'm also not used to traffic not having the option to re-enter the freeway, which is basically impossible by design here.  Come to think of it, this seems like a good location for a SPUI - that would certainly be a lot better than the current setup unless the overpass is too wide too allow for it.

Occidental Tourist

Every offramp within thirty miles of here has a traffic signal (except for one roundabout interchange), but sometimes people forget, so...

https://goo.gl/maps/frkDp2UFnrxKzBXb7

I've got two within six miles of me that have only stop signs despite living in the LA Basin.  Most surprising is that the 605 has seven interchanges that are stop-sign only.

Anyway, can someone help me start a new thread here about how all states' highway shields since 1964 have been printed white on green?

webny99

The nearest full interchange to me without stoplights (excluding at least 3-4 partial interchanges that are closer) appears to be I-490 at NY 31, which I actually started a thread about several years ago: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21276.0

(And of course, the very existence of that thread proves the premise of this one wrong  :D)

MATraveler128

The nearest non signalized off ramp to me is off I-95 Exit 59 in Lynnfield, Massachusetts.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jeffandnicole

Signalized, unsignalized, and merge-only interchanges all exist within 2 miles of me. The only other general type - roundabouts - aren't common in NJ, but even then there's one on NJ 42 about 10 miles away.

GaryV

The nearest intersection to my house has one side with traffic lights, the other without. The side with traffic lights does not have a porkchop median; the one without the lights does. The right turn there has a yield, the left turn has a stop sign. How's that for variety?

Hobart

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody brought this up, but the very existence of cloverleaf interchanges causes this discussion to crumble. Same with most other interchanges that connect two interstates together.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Hobart on March 03, 2022, 10:37:03 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised nobody brought this up, but the very existence of cloverleaf interchanges causes this discussion to crumble. Same with most other interchanges that connect two interstates together.
This was intended to be a parody thread in the first place, it's a miracle that there's serious discussion going on  :-D

XamotCGC

The Eastern Parkway off ramp off I 65 in Louisville has a stop sign.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

kphoger

Quote from: XamotCGC on March 08, 2022, 09:45:55 PM
The Eastern Parkway off ramp off I 65 in Louisville has a stop sign.

Aw crap, |SkyPesos|, he got you there!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

skluth

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 03, 2022, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Hobart on March 03, 2022, 10:37:03 PM
This was intended to be a parody thread in the first place, it's a miracle that there's serious discussion going on  :-D
If it helps, I privately giggled when I read it. I knew exactly why you started this. Or maybe I should say, about whom you started this?

thspfc

I would say that the interchange between I-70 and I-76 in south-central Pennsylvania doesn't have traffic signals, but that's not true.

skluth

One exit that would work much better without traffic signals is that annoying Breezewood exit

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on March 09, 2022, 07:16:27 PM
I would say that the interchange between I-70 and I-76 in south-central Pennsylvania doesn't have traffic signals, but that's not true.

Quote from: skluth on March 10, 2022, 12:38:25 PM
One exit that would work much better without traffic signals is that annoying Breezewood exit

Surprised nobody mentioned that yet.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

I'm not sure it would work better as-is without traffic signals. Of course, it should have been designed without them, but since they're there, we're kind of stuck with them until the whole interchange gets redesigned.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 10, 2022, 03:26:56 PM

I'm not sure it would work better as-is without traffic signals. Of course, it should have been designed without them, but since they're there, we're kind of stuck with them until the whole interchange gets redesigned.

roundabout!
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.