News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Custom signs

Started by Amtrakprod, November 17, 2018, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Signs other road geeks have created
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

jakeroot

I'm guessing this might have been partly inspired by the HAWK thread.

Here's some custom signs I've drawn up before (not always for any particular reason):

Tonytone

That *Left turn yield on green* sign would confuse the hell outta people. I think a green orb inside the yield would work fine.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Amtrakprod

I've made two FRA signs.
RIGHT TURN (2) by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
RIGHT TURN (1) by Petru Sofio, on Flickr
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

mrsman

Jakeroot, what is the third sign for?

Nexus 5X

Amtrakprod

Quote from: mrsman on November 22, 2018, 11:01:27 AM

Nexus 5X
Rader zone?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 22, 2018, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: mrsman on November 22, 2018, 11:01:27 AM

Nexus 5X
Rader zone?

New Mexico ahead (the state has bad pavement quality).
Minecraft roundabout ahead.
Crosshair.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

jakeroot

I think I was trying to find a way to warn of an unsigned intersection. Obviously a failure :-D

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on November 22, 2018, 03:51:23 PM
I think I was trying to find a way to warn of an unsigned intersection. Obviously a failure :-D
I think you should try to make a priority sign

iPhone

kphoger

I assumed it was for a town square, such as in Benton, IL.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

Guess it could be repurposed for that! Might need a plaque below it though.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on November 23, 2018, 03:30:28 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

Guess it could be repurposed for that! Might need a plaque below it though.
I would say underneath strange intersection, use caution. For the unsigned intersection, I'd stick to words.

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: Amtrakprod on November 23, 2018, 04:51:50 PM
I would say underneath strange intersection, use caution. For the unsigned intersection, I'd stick to words.

You know what?  If there's reason enough to put up a warning sign for an uncontrolled intersection, then I'd say there's reason enough for it to not be an uncontrolled intersection anymore.  So maybe that would be a sign with no useful application.
Male pronouns, please.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 06:21:19 PM

You know what?  If there's reason enough to put up a warning sign for an uncontrolled intersection, then I'd say there's reason enough for it to not be an uncontrolled intersection anymore.  So maybe that would be a sign with no useful application.

That's a really good and obvious point.

jakeroot

That's why I never put much effort into it. No signs at all is hardly any different than saying "no control ahead" (though drivers still have ROW rules to follow).

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on November 24, 2018, 01:52:43 AM

That's right.  At least put in two yield signs.  If there's nobody there, don't stop, but at least allow for the possibility of being aware of cross traffic.  There are so many intersections where lack of signs mean that you have the right of way, so we don't want to add to the confusion.

That's why I never put much effort into it. No signs at all is hardly any different than saying "no control ahead" (though drivers still have ROW rules to follow).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: mrsman on November 25, 2018, 10:32:29 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 24, 2018, 01:52:43 AM

That's right.  At least put in two yield signs.  If there's nobody there, don't stop, but at least allow for the possibility of being aware of cross traffic.  There are so many intersections where lack of signs mean that you have the right of way, so we don't want to add to the confusion.
Good point, Please format correctly though

iPhone

jakeroot

Most unsigned intersections in Seattle (and there are many) have circles in the middle, and/or are at the intersection of single lane (two way) roads. Either way, very low speed approaches. Never heard of a crash at these intersections. Higher perception of danger without signs so people are more cautious.

MCRoads

IDK if it is custom, but it is certainly unusual:
I have a sign in my (small) arsenal which is suppose to raise awareness of workers' safety. It is:

mY DAddY WoRks hERe!
(It has a crude picture of a person on it as well)

I thought it was a great idea... gender equality people said it was sexist though, so the FHWA said to stop using it.

If this was about custom traffic control stuff, I would talk about the weird drums they have there, but... maybe another thread.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

jakeroot

Quote from: MCRoads on November 26, 2018, 07:21:41 PM
I have a sign in my (small) arsenal which is suppose to raise awareness of workers' safety. It is:

mY DAddY WoRks hERe!

I think it was posted in the "unique" thread at one point.

Judging by the OP, this thread is geared towards custom signs that were created by us, not others.

MCRoads

Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2018, 07:35:31 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on November 26, 2018, 07:21:41 PM

mY DAddY WoRks hERe!

I think it was posted in the "unique" thread at one point.

Judging by the OP, this thread is geared towards custom signs that were created by us, not others.
Believe said post was also by me, could be wrong though...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

jakeroot

Quote from: MCRoads on November 26, 2018, 07:36:42 PM

The OP is Amtrakprod.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on November 26, 2018, 08:10:13 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on November 26, 2018, 07:36:42 PM

The OP is Amtrakprod.
I meant for it to be signs created by roadgeeks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.