Rarest sign type in the USA

Started by RobbieL2415, November 28, 2018, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2018, 05:37:51 PM
The rarest sign type is probably the fluorescent pink incident management signs. I still have never seen one in the wild.

I've seen a handful in the wild around Wisconsin. Most commonly, I've seen them used to warn of controlled burn areas or fire department training. About a month ago I saw a couple in Dodge County  warning of speed enforcement areas, yet there wasn't one person pulled over nor a squad car to be found (and the highway wasn't set up for aerial enforcement).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Beltway on November 28, 2018, 09:04:43 PM
How about the signs in Pennsylvania --

WAIT
FOR
GREEN
LIGHT

Somewhat common when there's a split phase at a light, at least in PA and NJ.  Often the street that gets the 2nd phase has a 'Delayed Green' or 'Wait for Green' type sign.

riiga

Quote from: formulanone on November 29, 2018, 12:07:07 PM
How about the combo standard / metric speed limit signs? I've not even seen a photo of those in the field.

6a

Quote from: webny99 on November 28, 2018, 07:43:20 PM
As far as I can tell, there are five criteria:

(1) Shape
(2) Size
(3) Color
(4) Location/Mount
(5) Message

If we can find a sign that is unique with regards to all five, then we have a winner. The pink one two posts above is pretty good, scoring big on (3), (4), and (5), despite having a very common shape and size. Speaking of which, what is fair information, anyways?  ;-)

I believe it's parking info for the county fair.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: vdeane on November 29, 2018, 12:43:04 PM
How about the combo standard / metric speed limit signs? I've not even seen a photo of those in the field.
Look closely on the far right: http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=ny812&state=NY&file=100_6498.JPG

Going off of this, dual imperial/metric signs. I know the Maine Turnpike uses them fairly extensively, but the only other one I can think of is the out-of-left-field one on westbound I-40 coming into Knoxville.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 29, 2018, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 28, 2018, 09:04:43 PM
How about the signs in Pennsylvania --
WAIT
FOR
GREEN
LIGHT
Somewhat common when there's a split phase at a light, at least in PA and NJ.  Often the street that gets the 2nd phase has a 'Delayed Green' or 'Wait for Green' type sign.

'Delayed Green' is common around the country for handling the split phase signal.

Telling someone to "wait for green light" doesn't make sense, as that implies that if there were no such sign that it would be ok to run the red light.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

formulanone

Quote from: riiga on November 29, 2018, 01:45:07 PM

I've seen those the the flesh, even posted my own photo to Wikipedia. :)

There's a few in the MUTCD range of R2-1 through R2-4a (Metric) - the metric speed limit is circled - which I've never seen photos of, just diagrams.

I've also never seen the R9-13 "No Skaters" sign.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on November 29, 2018, 04:20:12 PM
There's a few in the MUTCD range of R2-1 through R2-4a (Metric) - the metric speed limit is circled - which I've never seen photos of, just diagrams.

I've also never seen the R9-13 "No Skaters" sign.

What the heck is R5-5 supposed to be for?
I've never seen R9-1.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Going back to the yellow stripe for a second....how about remaining single white stripes? That's gotta be even rarer. Only two streets in Tacoma with single white stripes (N Yakima in Stadium and E 26 St near the Tacoma Dome). No idea how (or why) they haven't been repainted.

BrianP

Wait for green is the same as a delayed green.  In the past, when there were only two phase signals, people could assume that since the opposing traffic is going that they can go too. Thus they may not check what their signal displayed.  This sign was a warning that the assumption was wrong.  It must have been a problem enough that the signs became necessary. 

jakeroot

Quote from: BrianP on November 29, 2018, 04:33:40 PM
Wait for green is the same as a delayed green.  In the past, when there were only two phase signals, people could assume that since the opposing traffic is going that they can go too. Thus they may not check what their signal displayed.  This sign was a warning that the assumption was wrong.  It must have been a problem enough that the signs became necessary.

Thanks for the explanation. I've never seen any sort of "wait for green" or "delayed green" sign in WA, and I've wondered what their purpose was. I've seen "delayed" plaques in British Columbia, at lead/lag left turns, but still never at regular intersections with split phasing, etc.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2018, 04:25:53 PM

I was wondering that, too...I think of "lugs" as the nut that tighten the wheel onto the wheel stud. Maybe it refers to "studded tires"?

I don't think I've ever seen that sign, either.

QuoteI've never seen R9-1.

I've only noticed that recently, in NYC. It seems to be for oddly-angled intersections, but I claim no expertise in crosswalks and signals.

1995hoo

Regarding metric speed limit signs, I believe there are–at least there used to be, don't know if they're still there–several of them around the FGCU area near Fort Myers. They're dual-unit signs similar to what formulanone posted.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HTM Duke

Quote from: formulanone on November 29, 2018, 04:39:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2018, 04:25:53 PM

I was wondering that, too...I think of "lugs" as the nut that tighten the wheel onto the wheel stud. Maybe it refers to "studded tires"?

I don't think I've ever seen that sign, either.[/qoute]
Reading this article, it appears that this sign would matter more in the early 20th century than today.  Due to tractor designs using steel wheels with lugs attached (think cleats), said lugs invariably wreaked havoc with paved roads and those unfortunate enough to be injured by them.

QuoteI've never seen R9-1.
I've only noticed that recently, in NYC. It seems to be for oddly-angled intersections, but I claim no expertise in crosswalks and signals.
The rare instances I've seen this sign in Virginia, it was placed on the shoulder of more rural roads lacking sidewalks that passed through areas with decent clustering of houses and businesses.  I also found the exception to this rule out near Falls Church, VA, on the frontage road that parallels US-50 west.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Beltway

I've seen multi-phase signals since I started driving in the 1960s.  Seeing opposing traffic going while I had a red light was a common experience.  I also saw "delayed green" signs at some signals there.  I would never have assumed that it was ok to run a red light for any reason, so "wait for green light" is an oxymoron because it is saying "don't break one of the most basic traffic laws".

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 29, 2018, 12:24:30 PM

Not really a "sign" per se, but I just went to the post office on Barclay Drive and found myself wondering how many other roads in the USA still have a single yellow center stripe. See satellite view link below. I suppose I should note that I don't know who maintains the street, but I suspect it may be the developer (Halle Corp.) because the nearby shopping center parking also uses single yellow stripes to separate opposing traffic. (I note if you click into GSV, it shows a double yellow line, so it's an old image. As of this morning it definitely had a single line.)

https://goo.gl/maps/k6d8G7vDt7w

I got confirmation via the new issue of our community newsletter (came in yesterday's mail, which I only retrieved this morning) that the street in question is indeed privately maintained by Halle Corp. The unusual striping is thus perhaps less of an oddity in my mind since we all know privately-maintained roads sometimes have all sorts of unusual signs or other markings. (The newsletter mentioned that street as part of an article about who plows what roads.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

A rare sign that's just interesting: https://goo.gl/maps/2pB9Cn5eMhv .  NJDOT does have a project in the works to widen the road and add in proper left turn channels.

Quote from: Beltway on November 30, 2018, 12:58:18 AM

I've seen multi-phase signals since I started driving in the 1960s.  Seeing opposing traffic going while I had a red light was a common experience.  I also saw "delayed green" signs at some signals there.  I would never have assumed that it was ok to run a red light for any reason, so "wait for green light" is an oxymoron because it is saying "don't break one of the most basic traffic laws".

Like I said above, this sign seems to be more commonly used in NJ and PA, and maybe in some localized areas.  It also seemed to be used quite often at intersections where only one direction had an arrow for a protective/permissive phase.

Yes, it's a common-sense sign.  But it probably originated at a time when arrows weren't common, and thus motorists simply expected their direction to have a green light the same time the opposing direction had a green light.  Most of those signs are older as well, signifying the time period they were used.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2018, 12:53:00 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 30, 2018, 12:58:18 AM
Like I said above, this sign seems to be more commonly used in NJ and PA, and maybe in some localized areas.  It also seemed to be used quite often at intersections where only one direction had an arrow for a protective/permissive phase.
Yes, it's a common-sense sign.  But it probably originated at a time when arrows weren't common, and thus motorists simply expected their direction to have a green light the same time the opposing direction had a green light.  Most of those signs are older as well, signifying the time period they were used.

I saw the sign when I lived in SE PA in the 1970s.  Even then it was a nonsense sign, implying that at a signal without that sign that you don't need to wait for the green light, that you can go thru on a red light.  Why be told at one intersection to "wait for green light" but not at another..

That was 45 years ago.  Nowadays multi-phase intersections are so common that nobody should be unaware of the concept.  If your signal is red, you DON'T G0.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT isn't just for delayed green approaches, in NY it can be used anywhere there is an issue with drivers proceeding on a red signal. In this situation, for example, the sign provides valuable information because it may not be clear that continuing from 403 South to 9 South is considered a through movement instead of a right-turn movement that would allow RTOR.

Pink Jazz

As for fluorescent pink incident management signs, some states did not approve them initially when they were first introduced in the 2003 MUTCD.  I think the last state to approve them was Minnesota, which I think was added in the 2011 Minnesota MUTCD.

Beltway

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 30, 2018, 04:30:50 PM
WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT isn't just for delayed green approaches, in NY it can be used anywhere

When is it ever NOT OK to "wait for green light"?

there is an issue with drivers proceeding on a red signal. In this situation, for example, the sign provides valuable information because it may not be clear that continuing from 403 South to 9 South is considered a through movement instead of a right-turn movement that would allow RTOR.

NO RIGHT TURN ON RED

That is how to sign for RTOR prohibited.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Beltway on November 30, 2018, 05:59:53 PM
WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT isn't just for delayed green approaches, in NY it can be used anywhere

Regulatory signs notify drivers of rules, they don't establish them; e.g., speed limit signs don't make a speed limit exist–the speed limit is entered somewhere as an official order or regulation and that's where the limit's legal authority comes from. The sign is technically just reminding you of the existence of the official rule.

WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT reinforces the road user's obligation under the Vehicle & Traffic Law to stop and wait at a red light. The law's provisions apply regardless of whether a sign exists reminding drivers of it. If we apply your logic to orders and regulations in addition to legal codes, we shouldn't post any regulatory signs at all because drivers should just know which streets have been designated as one-way, where stop signs are authorized, etc.

there is an issue with drivers proceeding on a red signal. In this situation, for example, the sign provides valuable information because it may not be clear that continuing from 403 South to 9 South is considered a through movement instead of a right-turn movement that would allow RTOR.

NO RIGHT TURN ON RED

The reason the movement is illegal on a red light is that it's considered a through movement, not a right turn movement. NO TURN ON RED is not meaningful because there is no possible right turn movement from that approach. The existing sign is more consistent with the legal situation at this intersection.

jeffandnicole

WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT isn't just for delayed green approaches, in NY it can be used anywhere there is an issue with drivers proceeding on a red signal. In this situation, for example, the sign provides valuable information because it may not be clear that continuing from 403 South to 9 South is considered a through movement instead of a right-turn movement that would allow RTOR.

Depends on state law. In NJ, the law states there must be a 'No Turn On Red' sign to prohibit turns on red.  A 'Wait for Green' sign is not the same thing.

Beltway

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on November 30, 2018, 06:46:18 PM
Regulatory signs notify drivers of rules, they don't establish them; e.g., speed limit signs don't make a speed limit exist–the speed limit is entered somewhere as an official order or regulation and that's where the limit's legal authority comes from. The sign is technically just reminding you of the existence of the official rule.

The illuminated red signal lens already tells you what is the official rule -- stop and remain stopped while the red signal is illuminated.  You can't tell the officer that you needed an additional reminder.

WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT reinforces the road user's obligation under the Vehicle & Traffic Law to stop and wait at a red light. The law's provisions apply regardless of whether a sign exists reminding drivers of it. If we apply your logic to orders and regulations in addition to legal codes, we shouldn't post any regulatory signs at all because drivers should just know which streets have been designated as one-way, where stop signs are authorized, etc.

If we apply your logic here, we should post extra redundant regulatory signs everywhere.  But you don't see that, at least not in the vast majority of places.

WAIT FOR GREEN LIGHT only at a few intersections implies that waiting is optional at other intersections.  Someone on the autistic spectrum or someone from another country who doesn't yet know English very well might be confused by such signage.  New drivers might be confused as well.  Why take a chance? 

Like I said, multi-phase signals have been common for at least 50 years, so drivers don't need extra redundant signs, and if you really insist then use DELAYED GREEN, which is a neutral way to inform.

I don't really see the point of DELAYED GREEN, either, while they used to be common in Virginia, nowadays multi-phase signals are so common that they apparently don't see the point and don't use that sign.

NO RIGHT TURN ON RED
The reason the movement is illegal on a red light is that it's considered a through movement, not a right turn movement. NO TURN ON RED is not meaningful because there is no possible right turn movement from that approach. The existing sign is more consistent with the legal situation at this intersection.

That does appear true that it is not an actual right turn.  That sign is still not needed or appropriate, IMHO, because the two signal heads make it perfectly clear when the red lenses are illuminated, that the driver must stop and remain stopped during that indication. 

If he doesn't get that and needs more signs, then you could put up strobe lights and audio broadcasts saying "wait for green light!" over and over again, and none of that is likely to help him.  An accident going someplace to happen.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2018, 12:53:00 PM
A rare sign that's just interesting: https://goo.gl/maps/2pB9Cn5eMhv .  NJDOT does have a project in the works to widen the road and add in proper left turn channels.

I have never seen backplates in NJ. Have I not been paying attention or is this indeed an anomaly (or unique to this jurisdiction)?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.