News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

California inspection station on I-15 moved to the border

Started by MarkF, December 29, 2018, 03:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2019, 12:39:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:06:15 PM
Does anyone know if there is some sort of probhibition that only allows the state to put up stations only state maintained roadways?  There are several county or local roadways into California which don't have agricultural inspection stations or one by proxy on an adjoining highway.  The crossing over the Colorado River into Needles on N Street comes to mind off the top of my head. 

It's probably a budgetary issue more than a legislated or administrative edict that has limited inspection stations to state highways; constructing and manning them, while certainly with considerable Caltrans input, is the parvenu of the state ag department, which conceivably could locate them on local roads as well.  The Yermo station was located to not only address inbound I-15 traffic but also that of CA 127, Nipton Road/NV 164, and anything else "funneling" onto the freeway.  Now that the I-15 station has been moved to near the state line, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of inspection station -- even a "roadblock" setup manned during daylight hours only (similar to smaller stations statewide like those on CA 88) -- likely some "minimalist" approach on CA 127 or other less-trafficked area highways.  But the previous configurations like Yermo seemed more aimed at stopping "tainted" fruit and veggies from reaching the main areas of agricultural production rather than simply functioning as a border-bound entry facility -- fruit flies et. al weren't considered a danger to much of the Mojave Desert!

I wouldn't surprise me if 127 doesn't get anything considering 190 already doesn't and neither does the much more busy US 95 out of Nevada. 

Mark68

Last drove to California Thanksgiving weekend 2017. Got stopped at Yermo. In fact, EVERYONE got stopped at Yermo. It was a damn traffic jam.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:53:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if 127 doesn't get anything considering 190 already doesn't and neither does the much more busy US 95 out of Nevada. 

Since 190 terminates at 127 and the "extension" east toward Pahrump is a county road, I wouldn't expect to find any facilities there.  But if the Ag Dept. gets anal about things, they can put a prefab next to 127 at the border with a flashing red along the road, man it sporadically (likely daylight only) and that'll be it -- sort of like what the Border Patrol does with their advance checkpoints along CA 86 and 111 near the Salton Sea.  But the traffic on 127 is sparse enough that they may just "shine it on". 

Originally the checkpoint on I-40 was near Daggett, due south of the I-15 Yermo installation.  But I haven't been WB on 40 in decades, so I have no idea where that station is currently located.  As far as US 95 goes, NB it's dealt with along with I-10 at the inspection station just west of the Colorado River bridge, while there's nothing SB unless the Vidal Jct. station elects to stop traffic on that highway as well as CA 62. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2019, 07:13:01 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2019, 12:53:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if 127 doesn't get anything considering 190 already doesn't and neither does the much more busy US 95 out of Nevada. 

Since 190 terminates at 127 and the "extension" east toward Pahrump is a county road, I wouldn't expect to find any facilities there.  But if the Ag Dept. gets anal about things, they can put a prefab next to 127 at the border with a flashing red along the road, man it sporadically (likely daylight only) and that'll be it -- sort of like what the Border Patrol does with their advance checkpoints along CA 86 and 111 near the Salton Sea.  But the traffic on 127 is sparse enough that they may just "shine it on". 

Originally the checkpoint on I-40 was near Daggett, due south of the I-15 Yermo installation.  But I haven't been WB on 40 in decades, so I have no idea where that station is currently located.  As far as US 95 goes, NB it's dealt with along with I-10 at the inspection station just west of the Colorado River bridge, while there's nothing SB unless the Vidal Jct. station elects to stop traffic on that highway as well as CA 62.

With I-40 it's now a couple miles west of the Colorado River.  The Vidal Junction checkpoint on CA 62 is immediately east of US 95 and doesn't directly interact with the Highway. 

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Guessing that the I-40 inspection station is well before the multiplex with US 95 (which wouldn't handle SB 95 in any case!). 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on January 03, 2019, 07:32:10 PM
^^^^^^^^
Guessing that the I-40 inspection station is well before the multiplex with US 95 (which wouldn't handle SB 95 in any case!).

Correct, it is east of the split in US 95 and I-40.

AndyMax25

I've always joked with my friends that when you cross into Mexico they are likely to stop you and ask you "Do you have any firearms?" .  But when you cross back into California (or at any US Int'l airport) they ask you "Do you have any fruit?"

kphoger

Quote from: AndyMax25 on January 04, 2019, 01:22:55 AM
I've always joked with my friends that when you cross into Mexico they are likely to stop you and ask you "Do you have any firearms?" .  But when you cross back into California (or at any US Int'l airport) they ask you "Do you have any fruit?"

Fruit is also contraband heading south, but they usually have more important things to worry about.  I personally know someone who had a customs agent in Mexico say he could technically fine him quite a bit of money for the apple sitting on the dashboard; he instead opted to just throw it away.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

theroadwayone

How do you now get into CA without going through one of those inspection stations?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: theroadwayone on January 09, 2019, 11:36:31 PM
How do you now get into CA without going through one of those inspection stations?

State Line Road or CA 127 in Inyo County come to mind off the top of my head.  I mentioned taking AZ 95 into Needles but you can also get in via the Needles Highway with no inspection station and US 95.  NV 164 to Nipton Road also works if you're willing to go through a really haggard trip in the Mojave Preserve to avoid I-15.  I don't think there is an inspection station on Agnes Wilson Road near the US 95/CA 62 junction.

djsekani

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2019, 12:06:42 AM

State Line Road or CA 127 in Inyo County come to mind off the top of my head.  I mentioned taking AZ 95 into Needles but you can also get in via the Needles Highway with no inspection station and US 95.  NV 164 to Nipton Road also works if you're willing to go through a really haggard trip in the Mojave Preserve to avoid I-15.  I don't think there is an inspection station on Agnes Wilson Road near the US 95/CA 62 junction.

164/Nipton Road isn't the worst option if your car is in good shape. When I used to live in Palm Springs, everyone who drove to and from Vegas always took what we called the back way: Hwy 62 to  29 Palms, then Amboy Road, National Trails Highway (SB County 66), Interstate 40, and US-95 into the city. It's a much more traveled route these days, but as little as a decade ago it could be a mind-numbingly boring drive for the sole purpose of avoiding I-15 traffic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: djsekani on January 10, 2019, 12:02:08 PM

164/Nipton Road isn't the worst option if your car is in good shape. When I used to live in Palm Springs, everyone who drove to and from Vegas always took what we called the back way: Hwy 62 to  29 Palms, then Amboy Road, National Trails Highway (SB County 66), Interstate 40, and US-95 into the city. It's a much more traveled route these days, but as little as a decade ago it could be a mind-numbingly boring drive for the sole purpose of avoiding I-15 traffic.

It's not too bad if you want some remote terrain and some cool places to see like Kelso or the Kelso Dunes.  I used Nipton Road and Kelbaker Road a lot back in my Arizona days to short cut up to Death Valley National Park. 

Kniwt

National Trails Highway (SB County 66)

Unfortunately, the long-term closure of 66 east of Amboy is still in effect due to the 2014 and 2017 floods:
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/50/transportation/Temporary%20Road%20Closure%20121918.2.pdf?ver=2018-12-19-113107-167

It's still open to Kelbaker Road, but from there you have to move up to I-40 -- or go through Kelso, where you can either go to I-15 at Cima Road or over to Nipton.

sparker

If you're located considerably farther east in Coachella Valley (La Quinta, Indio, etc.) an alternate way to Vegas was east on I-10, north on CA 177 then east on CA 62, and finally north on US 95 via Needles up to LV.  This avoided backtracking through Yucca Valley, which in itself can be a bit of a slog.  Not much scenery on this route either, but it tended to get one to NV quickly & easily.

djsekani

Quote from: Kniwt on January 10, 2019, 12:27:00 PM

Unfortunately, the long-term closure of 66 east of Amboy is still in effect due to the 2014 and 2017 floods:
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/Portals/50/transportation/Temporary%20Road%20Closure%20121918.2.pdf?ver=2018-12-19-113107-167

It's still open to Kelbaker Road, but from there you have to move up to I-40 -- or go through Kelso, where you can either go to I-15 at Cima Road or over to Nipton.

Wow. Last time I drove this route was in Spring of 2015, when we actually did detour onto I-40 between 66 and Kelbaker Road so my wife could make a phone call (the interstate always has better cell service). Didn't even know about the closure.

Kniwt

Quote from: sparker on January 10, 2019, 12:31:50 PM
north on US 95 via Needles up to LV.

Having just driven that section of 95 again yesterday, I can't find enough evil words to say about the California section. The truck traffic (and the RVs-towing-giant-SUVs at 44mph traffic) continues to increase, and the backups and resulting high-speed passers make for a white-knuckle experience, especially when passing one yourself.

It's an interesting road only to see a stretch of basically unimproved 1930s-era highway engineering trying to carry 21st-century traffic.

On the Nevada side, however, the reconstruction between the state line and Searchlight is now complete, and the road is nice, smooth, and fast.

sparker

Quote from: Kniwt on January 10, 2019, 12:46:45 PM
Quote from: sparker on January 10, 2019, 12:31:50 PM
north on US 95 via Needles up to LV.

Having just driven that section of 95 again yesterday, I can't find enough evil words to say about the California section. The truck traffic (and the RVs-towing-giant-SUVs at 44mph traffic) continues to increase, and the backups and resulting high-speed passers make for a white-knuckle experience, especially when passing one yourself.

It's an interesting road only to see a stretch of basically unimproved 1930s-era highway engineering trying to carry 21st-century traffic.

On the Nevada side, however, the reconstruction between the state line and Searchlight is now complete, and the road is nice, smooth, and fast.

For some reason, CA surface highways (both US and state) that cross state lines tend to contain at least a significant length of original 1920's-30's alignment that hasn't been altered except for the occasional repave job; US 97 between Macdoel and Dorris a bit south of the OR state line is a prime example; used by lumber and agricultural trucks that barely fit into the lanes, it's one of the more harrowing but well-trafficked segments of highway in the state.  CA 127 in the desert is another "oldie", but with considerably lighter traffic.  Regardless of Caltrans district, surface routes well away from populated areas and on the "margins" tend not to draw upgrade $$; since US 95 is more of a truck "alternate" to and from Vegas and not a direct connector from there to anything significant that can't utilize a different corridor (I'm guessing there's not a hell of a lot of Yuma-Vegas traffic!), there's not a lot of pressure on CA to do anything about the status or condition of the highway.   And remember that NV has less road mileage to maintain -- and that much of US 95 in the southern tip of the state was improved when Laughlin/Bullhead became a prime recreational destination.   In short, CA has little incentive to pour money into a road that in reality has little in-state benefit.     

rte66man

Quote from: Kniwt on January 10, 2019, 12:27:00 PM

Any news on when/if they plan on fixing the damage?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

Quote from: AndyMax25 on January 04, 2019, 01:22:55 AM

Our good friends who have been living in Mexico until recently told us that, last year, they crossed the border northbound into McAllen (TX) with three bags of pecans.  At first I thought they meant little grocery store bags, but no:  more like four-foot-tall bags, the kind you'd fill up at harvest time.  The customs agent at the border asked if they had any fruits or vegetables.  "Just a whole bunch of pecans!" was our friend's response, pointing to back of the SUV.  The agent didn't even bat an eye and waved them through.   :thumbsup:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.