News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

My favorite road people

Started by texaskdog, January 09, 2019, 01:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 10, 2019, 11:59:05 AM
There are naturally certain people (roadgeeks - but of course this applies to everything) who have been particularly influential and inspirational to me, but I agree with the above sentiment that listing such would be at a disadvantage to all who are not listed. I do not aim to pick favorites and hurt those who are not picked - so I will simply say that the roadgeek community as a whole has been truly very special to me.
There's nothing inherently wrong with making lists in this thread, I am just explaining why I feel I personally cannot do it.

Well put!

For interest, I reviewed the list of forum members. I believe I have interacted at some point with all of the top 25 forum users (except for agentsteel), and most of the top 50.
Most interaction has been good, some especially helpful, some... ahem... interesting. But it just wouldn't be right to pick and choose. And besides, roadgeekery encompasses much more than just the forum. For example, some people attend many road meets but don't post much here. So making lists of forum users also seems a bit... narrow-minded, I guess.

Not to mention, roadgeeks aren't really known for handing out compliments.
Personally, I don't like giving or receiving compliments. Flattery is for the birds!  :-D

Roadgeekteen

Oscar is on that enjoy because of how much he's traveled.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Jmiles32

Not gonna pick favorites either. However, I definitely do enjoy discussions with both fellow Virginians and folks around my age.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Flint1979

I don't think I really have any favorites and don't really dislike anyone either.

index

No favorites here - as long as you're not an arse, which, I don't think anyone here truly really is, then you're good as far as I see it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

corco

hotdogPi

Quote from: index on January 11, 2019, 11:50:21 AM
as long as you're not an arse, which, I don't think anyone here truly really is

But everyone has one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: corco on January 11, 2019, 11:56:43 AM
I hate everybody here

Yeah, I noticed I haven't been seeing as much of you in the last year or two...   :eyebrow:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2019, 02:06:47 PM
I hate everybody here
Yeah, I noticed I haven't been seeing as much of you in the last year or two...   :eyebrow:

You must not log in to chat much.  :-P

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2019, 09:07:04 PM
I hate everybody here

I've never logged in to chat.
"Chat" takes me back to the days of mIRC and ICQ.

* kphoger wonders if if webny99 knows anything about those programs.

And this makes me think...
AARoads should enable the good ol' /slap command.
/whois with me?

ps . . . I think my favorite part about ICQ was that it had the option of showing the other person's message keystroke-by-keystroke as they were typing it.  It was fun to see them type, erase, edit, etc.  But it was brutal to use it with people who were very slow at typing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2019, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2019, 09:07:04 PM
I hate everybody here

I've never logged in to chat.
"Chat" takes me back to the days of mIRC and ICQ.

And this makes me think...
AARoads should enable the good ol' /slap command.
/whois with me?

ps . . . I think my favorite part about ICQ was that it had the option of showing the other person's message keystroke-by-keystroke as they were typing it.  It was fun to see them type, erase, edit, etc.  But it was brutal to use it with people who were very slow at typing.
I'm not welcome in the chat anymore.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 09:40:29 PM

There is a story behind this and I'm now dying to hear it. :popcorn:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2019, 10:55:24 PM

Ask a frequent chat user or an admin. They might tell you. TLDR, I acted imature.

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 10, 2019, 11:32:02 AM
What possibly useful purpose could this thread serve? I don't think stroking peoples' egos is particularly useful.
Disagree. I made Henry's top 10 list. :D

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2019, 09:33:12 PM

Can't say I do.  :hmmm:

Sounds super-cool, almost like being able to read minds! I wouldn't want other people watching me compose a long post though!  :D

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 11:05:43 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2019, 10:55:24 PM
Ask a frequent chat user or an admin. They might tell you. TLDR, I acted imature.

I don't think I'm welcome in chat, either.

I logged in once. I got such a good reaction that I did it again a few times. I had some good laughs reading through the chat, but I never actually joined the conversation.

Roadgeek2500

I have learned so much from Steve Anderson, Steve Alpert, and Jeff Kitsko that without them, i would have zero interest in in highways and the fascinating history behind them. So special thanks to them.
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

hbelkins

I've never really been a fan of chatrooms in general. I think I logged in to the old IRC chatroom a couple of times, but it was always at odd times when no one else was there.

I really don't have the time to just log on and kill time chatting. I usually have other things going on that take precedence. Online chat is really just not something I've ever been into. I prefer messages that can be read and responded to at leisure.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

IRC is not really something you purposefully log into and out of solely when you want to chat. It's more like something you log into and then idle for however long, piping up when you feel like it or when something interesting scrolls past.

froggie

^ Yep.  That's pretty much how the old "roadgeek chat" on IRC ran...

Bickendan

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2019, 04:15:05 PM
And yet you still popped on here to see if your name was listed.  :thumbsup:
Guilty as charged!
And, as we love to say over at WordForge, "Another list I didn't make :weep:" :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.