News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

City/town names that are ambiguous in your area

Started by hotdogPi, January 13, 2019, 10:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: michravera on September 02, 2019, 03:10:20 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 13, 2019, 10:43:45 AM
Ambiguous enough that any mention will require the state name (or other region) to avoid being asked "which one".

Note that in most cases, this is extremely local to where you live.

Here, there are a few that are ambiguous, plus two that would be if I moved a few miles.
Concord (MA vs. NH)
Hudson (also MA vs. NH)
Birmingham (AL vs. UK)
Rochester (NH vs. NY; MN is not a contender)
Washington (the state itself vs. the country's capital)
Amherst (MA vs. NH)

Where I live, Salem without a state name refers to Salem, NH, but moving ≈5 miles south or southeast (the number 5 is a guess) would make it ambiguous enough, with the other option being Salem, MA. I frequently go places where Salem, MA is the default meaning.

Newton without a state name refers to Newton, MA, even though Newton, NH is much closer. My guess is that going north into New Hampshire will result in Newton, NH being the default meaning as soon as you cross the state border; to find an area where it is ambiguous, I would have to go into Haverhill, MA (which is adjacent to Newton, NH).

Others that might seem ambiguous where I live, but are not:
* Portland refers to ME, not OR. People will talk about the other Portland, but they'll almost always apply the state name.
* Dover refers to DE, not MA or NH. Crossing the state border probably changes this to NH without any region of ambiguity, but there has to be a region of ambiguity somewhere for MA vs. DE.
* Springfield refers to MA, which makes sense since the three major ones are somewhat similar in population, and the one in Massachusetts is much closer than the other two.
* Franklin refers to MA, not NH.
* Brookline: Same as Newton; the one in New Hampshire is closer, but the one in Massachusetts is always meant.
* Groton: MA, even though CT is larger.
* Kingston: Could be 4-way (NH, MA, NY, Jamaica), but "Kingston" by itself refers to NH here.
* Burlington: MA, not VT.
* Bedford: MA, not NH; probably changes immediately upon crossing the state border.
* Rutland: VT, not MA.
* Greenland: Refers to the dependency of Denmark, despite the one in New Hampshire being within 30 miles.

Haven't encountered Milford enough to know (if it was ambiguous, it would be MA vs. NH). Same with Augusta (ME vs. GA) and Orange (MA vs. CA).

In California, there are at least two or three cities or towns that sound like Arcata, Arcadia, or similar. There are two with the same exact name one on the North Coast and one in the LA area.

The term "The Valley" usually refers to "San Fernando" south of Santa Barbara, but to "The Great Central Valley" (often Fresno, Bakersfield, or Tracy, Stockton, Sacramento, Chico, or Redding, depending upon what part of the coast) north of there.

San Marcos refers both to a suburb of San Diego and a pass near Santa Barbara.

"Grapevine" is a small town at the extreme south end of the San Joaquin Valley, but is often used to refer to the entire grade on the Valley side of Tejon Pass (and sometimes to the entire section of freeway between Grapevine and Santa Clarita.

In a similar vein, within CA there are two Brentwoods, a town along CA-4 in Nor Cal, and a neighborhood in West Los Angeles, famous for being where OJ Simpson lived.

There are also two Richmonds, both in the Bay Area.  One in the east bay, a town north of Oakland, and the second was a neighborhood on the west side of San Francisco.  Given how close these two are, it can sometimes be quite confusing.

thspfc

Fox Lake, WI and IL is the only one I can think of.

KEVIN_224

There are 26 places named Springfield in the United States. The most prominent ones are Massachusetts, Illinois and Missouri. I-91 passes through Springfield, MA and Springfield, VT. The Vermont town won the right to premiere the Simpsons movie when it came out.

Besides Portland, ME and OR, there's also a Portland, CT. It's on the other side of the Connecticut River (and the Arrigoni Bridge) from Middletown.

Besides Hartford, CT, you also have one in VT and ME. VT's Hartford is "hidden" some because it contains the more prominent village of White River Junction.

Brandon

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 02, 2019, 02:57:45 PM
There are 26 places named Springfield in the United States. The most prominent ones are Massachusetts, Illinois and Missouri. I-91 passes through Springfield, MA and Springfield, VT. The Vermont town won the right to premiere the Simpsons movie when it came out.

Besides Portland, ME and OR, there's also a Portland, CT. It's on the other side of the Connecticut River (and the Arrigoni Bridge) from Middletown.

There's also a Portland, Michigan, along I-96 between Lansing and Grand Rapids.

QuoteBesides Hartford, CT, you also have one in VT and ME. VT's Hartford is "hidden" some because it contains the more prominent village of White River Junction.

Not to forget Hartford, Michigan, along I-94, and Hartford, Illinois, between I-270 and Alton.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on September 02, 2019, 09:22:50 PM

QuoteBesides Hartford, CT, you also have one in VT and ME. VT's Hartford is "hidden" some because it contains the more prominent village of White River Junction.

Not to forget Hartford, Michigan, along I-94, and Hartford, Illinois, between I-270 and Alton.
and Hartford WI, at hwy 60 and hwy 83 west of I-41

nexus73

North Bend.  Oregon, Washington and Nebraska have one.  Then add in Bend and people thinking that North Bend refers to that city.

Port Orford.  There is only one.  However in Washington, there is a Port Orchard.  That name has more familiarity than Port Orford does.

Brookings.  One in Oregon and another in South Dakota.

Lakeside.  There has to be a ton of them!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rothman

Which is not a municipality in New York?

Owego
Otego
Osego
Otsego
Oswego
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Besides Hartford, CT, you also have one in VT and ME. VT's Hartford is "hidden" some because it contains the more prominent village of White River Junction.

There's also a Portland, PA along the Delaware River, on the PA side of the Columbia-Portland toll bridge that connects PA 611 (and used to carry US 611) with I-80 and NJ 94. 

Milford, MA and NH were mentioned, but there is also a larger Milford, CT; the home of Subway, former home of Bic's US headquarters, and the Dan Patrick Show.

Also with Orange, lest us forget Orange, CT: the home of Pez Candy (and right next to Milford)

Also discovered a New Britain, PA along US 202; the first borough as you enter Bucks County from Montgomery.  Much smaller than its CT counterpart.  Also learned of a Southington, OH from when Mike Tyson was released from prison.  Much smaller and lesser known than the CT one.

Then there's a few Bristols: Bristol, CT (the home of ESPN); Bristol, RI; a pair of Bristol Counties in MA and RI; and Bristol, PA (the Bristol referred to in the Bristol Stomp).

And then we have Berlin, and it's appropriate pronunciation.  In CT, NH, and NY, it's BER-lin; in NJ, the syllables are equal, so it's essentially like two words (Burr Lynn), and in Germany, it's ber-LIN

Portsmouth can also be.  For New Englanders, it's usually the city in NH; a control city for I-95 and I-495, and with a commercial airport.  There is also the smaller one in RI next to Newport.  For those in the Mid-Atlantic, it's part of Hampton Roads in VA. 

A few more: Scituate (MA vs RI); Tolland (CT vs MA); Litchfield (CT vs NH); Westbrook (CT vs ME; both connected by I-95)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

inkyatari

Yet, the Illinois Springfield is the only one close to a Shelbyville.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

TBKS1

Here's what immediately comes to mind for me...

Greenville, MS vs. Greenville, SC
Stuttgart, AR vs. Stuttgart, DE
Huntsville, AR vs. Huntsville, AL
Sheridan, AR vs. Sheridan, WY
Nashville, AR vs. Nashville, TN
Melbourne, AR vs. Melbourne, FL
Benton, AR vs. Bentonville, AR

As well as Norfork, AR vs Norfolk (UK and many states, but I'm sure that the one in Virginia comes to mind for almost everyone).
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

zzcarp

In Colorado, there is a front range city approximately 50 miles north of Denver called Loveland. About 60 miles west of Denver just before the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels there are Loveland Pass and Loveland Ski areas. There's no direct connection between the two.
So many miles and so many roads

US 89

Quote from: zzcarp on September 06, 2019, 05:45:34 PM
In Colorado, there is a front range city approximately 50 miles north of Denver called Loveland. About 60 miles west of Denver just before the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels there are Loveland Pass and Loveland Ski areas. There's no direct connection between the two.

Along that same line, Berthoud is a north Front Range city (actually pretty close to Loveland) that is similarly far away from the pass of the same name on US 40. There's also a Berthoud Falls fairly close to the pass.

TBKS1

Quote from: TBKS1 on September 06, 2019, 05:12:13 PM

Greenville, MS vs. Greenville, SC
Huntsville, AR vs. Huntsville, AL
Sheridan, AR vs. Sheridan, WY
Nashville, AR vs. Nashville, TN
Melbourne, AR vs. Melbourne, FL
Benton, AR vs. Bentonville, AR

As well as Norfork, AR vs Norfolk (UK and many states, but I'm sure that the one in Virginia comes to mind for almost everyone).

Didn't even think about this originally...

Fayetteville, AR vs. Fayetteville, NC

Not sure which one gets more recognition, guess that's up to what you believe.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

CNGL-Leudimin

DE as in .de (Deutschland, Germany)? Or there's a Stuttgart in Delaware I'm not aware of?

I'm pretty sure there is Madrid, IA/NY vs Madrid, Spain.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman65

Florida is pretty good about not being too redundant, but you have Edgewood, Englewood, and Edgewater all that can be confusing as the names are close.  Sometimes I mix up the city with location too!

We have both Seminole, the county near Orlando, and the city near St. Pete.  However that may not be what the OP is looking for due to one being not a city, and the fact Ohio and North Carolina both have city and counties that have the same names but no where near each other, so that may be more a common thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TBKS1

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 08, 2019, 09:11:35 AM

DE as in .de (Deutschland, Germany)? Or there's a Stuttgart in Delaware I'm not aware of?

I'm pretty sure there is Madrid, IA/NY vs Madrid, Spain.

Meant it as in Germany, not Delaware. Sorry if that was confusing.

TheHighwayMan3561

Virginia (MN) vs. Virginia (state). Twin Cities not so much an issue since they're more likely just to use the blanket Iron Range, but Duluth people usually have to differentiate between the two.

And yes, I was going to college an hour from Virginia, MN with a guy from Virginia, the state.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

royo6022

Daviess County, IN (pronounced day-VEES) and Daviess County, KY (pronounced Davis)

2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Beltway

Virginia City, Nevada and Virginia City, Montana
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

csw

Quote from: royo6022 on September 09, 2019, 08:29:41 AM
Daviess County, IN (pronounced day-VEES) and Daviess County, KY (pronounced Davis)
Another classic case of Hoosiers mispronuncicating things. (See: Versailles)

frankenroad

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 02, 2019, 12:59:45 AM

And a lot of people can't keep straight that the correct spelling of the island, the straits, and the bridge is Mackinac, but the correct spelling of the city is Mackinaw.

And they are ALL pronounced MACK-in-aw     It't like nails on a chalkboard to me when someone says "MACK-in-ack"
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

roadman65

Like in NY City, the street called Houston Street is pronounced How-ston as it was not named after Sam Houston, who Texas' largest city was named.  It was named after a man who spelled his name the same but used how instead of hew.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2019, 11:17:20 PM

Like in NY City, the street called Houston Street is pronounced How-ston as it was not named after Sam Houston, who Texas' largest city was named.  It was named after a man who spelled his name the same but used how instead of hew.
Actually the spelling should be HousTOUN, as that was the way he preferred it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 14, 2019, 04:59:46 PM
Quote from: csw on January 13, 2019, 11:40:05 PM
Nothing much comes to mind in Indiana. But I still don't know which is which of Sioux Falls and Sioux City. And I always mix up Great Falls, MT, with Grand Forks, ND. And Billings and Bozeman. I'd probably get it if I ever went to Montana.

Columbus OH and IN, both served by interstates from Indianapolis. 
St. Joseph Counties IN and MI, not far from each other.
Plainfield IL and IN (only ambiguous if you've spent a lot of time in both Chicago and Indy metro areas)

I forgot to mention Lake Counties in Illinois and Indiana, which both border Cook County, IL.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

clong

Birmingham was mentioned in the original post as one causing confusion. No one thinks you mean Birmingham, England for probably a 4 or 5 hour radius (at least) from Birmingham, AL unless you're having a discussion about soccer.

Same would be true about Huntsville. And the next most likely Huntsville would be Texas - known for conducting executions for those sentenced to the death penalty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.