News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Likes the forum, way, way too much rank change idea

Started by Hurricane Rex, January 15, 2019, 10:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:17:05 PM
I actually think Time Spent Online should be the measure. How we know if you really do "like the forum way, way, too much" is how often you're actually on the forum, not how many times you've posted.

I believe that puts me in second place.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

vdeane

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 09:08:10 PM
NE2 has been here for a while, his posts per day is smaller than many users here. Also, how was agentsteel53 unique? I've always wondered how he posted so much without getting into NE2 territory?
Both have been around for a long time, but both have also held that rank for a long time (years, and most of the forum's history in the case of agentsteel53 if not both of them).  I think it was as recently as a year ago that it was just them and possibly HB in that ranking.

I actually think Time Spent Online should be the measure. How we know if you really do "like the forum way, way, too much" is how often you're actually on the forum, not how many times you've posted.
Not a perfect measure either, since it's very affected by how one checks the forum.  Someone who's method involves constantly refreshing recent posts will have a large time spent online, while someone who's method involves one or two batch checks of everything since last login (with occasional boredom checks while not logged in) will have a shorter time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on January 16, 2019, 10:01:29 PM
NE2 has been here for a while, his posts per day is smaller than many users here. Also, how was agentsteel53 unique? I've always wondered how he posted so much without getting into NE2 territory?
Both have been around for a long time, but both have also held that rank for a long time (years, and most of the forum's history in the case of agentsteel53 if not both of them).  I think it was as recently as a year ago that it was just them and possibly HB in that ranking.

Not a perfect measure either, since it's very affected by how one checks the forum.  Someone who's method involves constantly refreshing recent posts will have a large time spent online, while someone who's method involves one or two batch checks of everything since last login (with occasional boredom checks while not logged in) will have a shorter time.
Alps came before HB. When I first learned about this forum, it was just Alps, NE2 and agentsteel. During my first stint, HB got it. Several others have gotten it since with Brandon being the most recent. You're next probably, with Jakeroot and Jeffandnicole coming afterwards.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 10:06:13 PM

Alps came before HB. When I first learned about this forum, it was just Alps, NE2 and agentsteel. During my first stint, HB got it. Several others have gotten it since with Brandon being the most recent. You're next probably, with Jakeroot and Jeffandnicole coming afterwards.
1995hoo is probably next. (vdeane has more posts but isn't posting quite as rapidly).

1995hoo

How does time spent online work if someone just leaves the forum running? Does it account for downtime? I usually leave the forum open in browser tabs on my iPhone and iPad regardless of whether I look at it (so, for example, a few weeks ago when we were driving to Florida I had that tab open but, for obvious reasons, didn't look at it all day while I was driving). It seems like that sort of thing could easily skew it.

Quote from: 1 on January 16, 2019, 10:12:42 PM
1995hoo is probably next. (vdeane has more posts but isn't posting quite as rapidly).

Not that it matters much, but I think vdeane will probably get there first. My posting was up in the past few weeks but will almost certainly drop off on weekdays for the next month or two because things are getting busier at work. When things are slow it's not a problem for me to post during the workday, but that's not the case when things get busier.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Last I read, it counts downtime up to 15 minutes, after that it counts as a separate visit.  But if one wanted to rack up time spent online, an automated script to refresh the homepage every 10 minutes or so would do it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: renegade on January 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
OP, did you get this idea from me (below), or come up with it of your own accord?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 10:05:37 AM
10 posts a day average for a week? Only I would get that. I do agree that there should be something over 10,000 though, as now 7 members have it. I remember when only 3 had it. Maybe a "roadgeek gold" like I suggested.

Stay in school, kids! 
Good, because I'm in school. :bigass: (17 credits and a 400 level in my first year of college isn't the smartest idea.

And I kept up with this idea webny. I haven't seen your suggestion yet.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 17, 2019, 03:37:02 AM
Quote from: renegade on January 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
OP, did you get this idea from me (below), or come up with it of your own accord?

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 16, 2019, 10:05:37 AM
10 posts a day average for a week? Only I would get that. I do agree that there should be something over 10,000 though, as now 7 members have it. I remember when only 3 had it. Maybe a "roadgeek gold" like I suggested.

Stay in school, kids! 
Good, because I'm in school. :bigass: (17 credits and a 400 level in my first year of college isn't the smartest idea.

What is a 400 level?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2019, 08:03:27 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 17, 2019, 03:37:02 AM

What is a 400 level?

Probably a senior year class. At my school, classes are 4-digit numbers with the first digit indicating year, so a 4xxx class, called 4000 level, is a senior level class. 400 level is probably the same with a slightly different system.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2019, 07:13:50 PM
"top contributor"

I don't think someone should be called a top contributor just for hanging out and chatting on a forum.  To me, a contributor is one who writes articles and that kind of thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on January 17, 2019, 01:36:13 PM
"top contributor"

I don't think someone should be called a top contributor just for hanging out and chatting on a forum.  To me, a contributor is one who writes articles and that kind of thing.
AAroads already has a site contributor flair.

hbelkins

"top contributor"

I took that terminology from TripAdvisor, which awards that rank after you've submitted a certain number of reviews.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2019, 02:42:21 PM
"top contributor"

I took that terminology from TripAdvisor, which awards that rank after you've submitted a certain number of reviews.
Reviews are the contributions on TripAdvisor. That's the whole point.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2019, 02:45:04 PM
"top contributor"

And posts are contributions on the forum.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

kphoger

↓  This is what I was referring to  ↓

Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2017, 12:30:26 PM
DOT Employee and Site Contributor are separate from these ranks.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2017, 06:51:17 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2017, 03:49:31 PM
How do you get site contributer?

By contributing to the site.

(In ways such as creating those little graphics, etc.)

In my opinion, "site contributor" should remain a separate label, not earned by simply posting a bunch of stuff in forum threads.  Posting stuff like "wut" and "yawn" and "this" (and Lord knows I've done that myself plenty) is not the same as making a contribution.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 17, 2019, 04:26:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2019, 02:45:04 PM
"top contributor"

Perhaps I worded that poorly. On this forum you could post the weather or a low effort comment for +1 which isn't really contributing, but on TripAdvisor the only point of it is writing reviews.

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2019, 04:31:30 PM

That's questionable, sometimes.
This whole topic should be worth negative post points.

Scott5114

Also, how was agentsteel53 unique? I've always wondered how he posted so much without getting into NE2 territory?

He basically went on a full-time roadtrip around the country for years in between jobs (if you can dig up his old LiveJournal there's a ton of stuff there to read) and when he got sick of that, he started visiting other countries. (Rereading the six Norway posts on his blog were kind of what touched off my Trafikkalfabetet project.) When you have that much travel experience, you have a lot to write about. Plus, he was an admin for the first few years of the forum, so he had a lot to say about that too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 18, 2019, 04:43:19 AM
He basically went on a full-time roadtrip around the country for years in between jobs...

Wow, I always wondered how he'd known and seen so much in a relatively short space of time! Not many folks can hit up 3000+ counties by the age of 30.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on January 18, 2019, 12:43:23 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 17, 2019, 04:31:30 PM

That's questionable, sometimes.
This whole topic should be worth negative post points.
This is contributingish, it's giving suggestions to the mods.

froggie

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: froggie on January 18, 2019, 08:40:54 AM
^ You realize Alps is one of the mods, right?
I do realize it. I'm not telling him what to do, I'm just giving my 2 cents. He can do whatever he wants to do.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 18, 2019, 09:35:34 AM
I do realize it. I'm not telling him what to do, I'm just giving my 2 cents. He can do whatever he wants to do.

Except become extreme dictator of the world, that is impossible.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 18, 2019, 11:58:26 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 18, 2019, 09:35:34 AM

Except become extreme dictator of the world, that is impossible.

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.