News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rolling 4-Sided Stop Sign Buoy in Middle of Intersection

Started by Brian556, February 14, 2019, 02:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Oklahoma likes to use 4-sided stop signs in the middle of the intersection for signal outages. These are typically stored on the corner. Their construction can range from a metal pole cemented into a tire, to a yellow attenuator barrel with stop signs bolted to the sides.

This one, however, is just weird. It is a metal stand that resembled a buoy, but with casters. They do, however, get props for using the barricade light with the correct lens color and shape.

The other odd thing about this is that there is no signal at the intersection where it is placed. It is supplementing side mounted stop signs. They probably should have hung an overhead flasher over the intersection instead of doing this. I do think this intersection could have had a 4-way signal in the past.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7004012,-95.6381961,3a,15.1y,151.72h,77.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sx9V0RI7EWRgfiUAYHVUVrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

Scott5114

If you scroll around, it looks like it replaced a more permanent planter-like setup. Weird!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 14, 2019, 08:18:08 AM
If you scroll around, it looks like it replaced a more permanent planter-like setup. Weird!

Crashworthiness concerns maybe?

Brian556

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on February 14, 2019, 10:03:58 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 14, 2019, 08:18:08 AM

Crashworthiness concerns maybe?

Its weird that they don't worry about that in OK

Roadsguy

Checking the various Street View dates shows four different iterations of that stop sign mount. The roller isn't even current. May 2018 Street View from the other streets shows a newer permanent setup, so that rolling thing is gone.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brian556 on February 14, 2019, 02:10:04 AM
Oklahoma likes to use 4-sided stop signs in the middle of the intersection for signal outages. These are typically stored on the corner. Their construction can range from a metal pole cemented into a tire, to a yellow attenuator barrel with stop signs bolted to the sides.

This one, however, is just weird. It is a metal stand that resembled a buoy, but with casters. They do, however, get props for using the barricade light with the correct lens color and shape.

The other odd thing about this is that there is no signal at the intersection where it is placed. It is supplementing side mounted stop signs. They probably should have hung an overhead flasher over the intersection instead of doing this. I do think this intersection could have had a 4-way signal in the past.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7004012,-95.6381961,3a,15.1y,151.72h,77.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sx9V0RI7EWRgfiUAYHVUVrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
If you change the date on the GSV it's always there and has different construction too.

US 89

How have I been through this exact intersection and not remembered this?

At any rate, the cart seems to have been a temporary thing. But still, sticking what's literally a four-way stop sign in the middle of the intersection is something you don't normally see.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.