News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite "Driving" Songs

Started by tchafe1978, December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wphiii

Four pages and no "Running on Empty?" Man, that's the very first song I thought of.

freebrickproductions

Ignore this post.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pete from Boston

From the original post:

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM
What are some of your favorite "Driving" songs, that is, songs that specifically mention driving.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 02, 2016, 04:38:23 PM
From the original post:

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 12, 2011, 11:59:14 PM
What are some of your favorite "Driving" songs, that is, songs that specifically mention driving.

Oh. Lol. Been a while since I read this thread.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheHighwayMan3561

McCartney "Back Seat of My Car"

Does "Roundabout" by Yes count?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

That good ol' Southern song called "Country Road".

Henry

The Beach Boys would be offended that you did not include these five songs in the mix:

• I Get Around
  • GTO
  • Little Deuce Coupe
  • Kokomo
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on February 03, 2016, 10:19:36 AM
The Beach Boys would be offended that you did not include these five songs in the mix:

• I Get Around
  • GTO
  • Little Deuce Coupe
  • Kokomo

There's no driving in "Kokomo"!

No love for one of my favorite driving songs, "Little Honda"?

SidS1045

Five pages and no one mentioned the most obvious from the Beatles' catalog:  Drive My Car?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

The Nature Boy

"Drive" by Alan Jackson, anyone?

Pete from Boston

Cracker's "I Ride My Bike" is a terrific road song (and yes, the second line of the refrain is "I drive my car to take me back to you").

Henry

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 03, 2016, 10:40:44 AM

• I Get Around
  • GTO
  • Little Deuce Coupe
  • Kokomo

One can expect it to be, seeing that they sing "We'll get there fast, and then we'll take it slow".

Back to the subject: How about Sister Christian by Night Ranger?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Henry on February 04, 2016, 10:15:43 AM

• I Get Around
  • GTO
  • Little Deuce Coupe
  • Kokomo

One can expect it to be, seeing that they sing "We'll get there fast, and then we'll take it slow".

To be fair, the Kokomo in the song is a fictional island off the Florida Keys. You can't really "drive" to it.

wolfiefrick

Here's a playlist full of 'em. If you have Apple Music you should be able to view this and listen to any of the songs.

millennium beats
Use the search function and listen to either "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, "Walk in the Park" by Beach House, or "All I Know" by Washed Out (the latter is one of my absolute favorites). I generally shuffle this entire playlist when working on redesigns for road signs over on Redesign this!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 04, 2016, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: Henry on February 04, 2016, 10:15:43 AM

• I Get Around
  • GTO
  • Little Deuce Coupe
  • Kokomo

To be fair, the Kokomo in the song is a fictional island off the Florida Keys. You can't really "drive" to it.

I always wondered why they chose the name of a hapless small rust-belt city.  Presumably it just sounded good, but it just evokes so much... unemployment, rather than paradise.

Quote from: wolfiefrick on February 04, 2016, 11:44:04 AM
Here's a playlist full of 'em. If you have Apple Music you should be able to view this and listen to any of the songs.

millennium beats
Use the search function and listen to either "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, "Walk in the Park" by Beach House, or "All I Know" by Washed Out (the latter is one of my absolute favorites). I generally shuffle this entire playlist when working on redesigns for road signs over on Redesign this!

It's not my thread, and really, none of this matters, but have we jettisoned the topic of the thread (songs that mention driving)?

paulthemapguy

No mention of "I-95," by Fountains of Wayne?  It's kind of soft for me to consider it a "driving song," but its chorus goes, "It's a nine-hour drive from me to you down on I-95"

And from the makers of "Stacy's Mom," no less.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

7/8

One song I haven't seen posted yet is "Ventura Highway" by America

QuoteVentura Highway in the sunshine
Where the days are longer
The nights are stronger than moonshine
You're gonna go I know
'Cause the free wind is blowin' through your hair
And the days surround your daylight there

Seasons crying no despair
Alligator lizards in the air, in the air

The bolded lines remind me of driving on two-lane roads with the windows down. :) I've been doing that a lot lately for the "take-it-yourself route number challenge".

I had no idea what the "alligator lizards in the air" line meant into I recently looked it up. Apparently it's a reference to clouds.

sparker

OK -- one song everyone seems to have overlooked (or, more likely, never heard):  "Hey Frederick", from the Jefferson Airplane "Volunteers" album (1969).  Written/sung by Grace Slick, it showcases her laser-like vocals at their best -- not to mention one of Jorma Kaukonen's tastiest guitar riffs -- and even backed up with a guest appearance by the late great Nicky Hopkins on piano.  Never was on a single -- or "best of" compilation -- but it really holds up!  Subject was a comparison of street racing to "speed/meth" addiction. 

paulthemapguy

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 27, 2011, 05:24:36 AM
Part 3 N-S

Pink Floyd (9) - Time, Hey You,, Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb
REM (4) - End Of The World, The Great Beyond
Smash Mouth (2) - Waste, Walking On The Sun

Omg I'm not the only one who loves "Waste" by Smash Mouth.  Also, "Fallen Horses" is wonderful.
I picked out these other songs from your list that I also love.

Other bands I like to use for roadtrip music include Barenaked Ladies, Supertramp, and Fountains of Wayne.  FoW has lots of travel themes in their music.  Recent additions to my roadtrip CD collection include Arctic Monkeys and Bleachers.  There's a band called Hey Ocean that's absolutely magical for nature-themed and water-themed adventures.  And I always love The Format and Ben Folds.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

KG909

The Game - El Chapo Good while driving in Mexico
SchoolboyQ - Hands on the Wheel
Future / The Weeknd - Low Life
Max P - GANG
Chief Keef - Love Sosa
Rich Chigga - Dat $tick
$UICIDEBOY$ - DEAD BATTERIES
Danger Incorporated - Diamonds
Three Six Mafia - Stay Fly
Stone Temple Pilots - Creep
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
311 - Down
Big Sean - Toyota Music
D.R.A.M. - Broccoli (Earrape version)
$UICIDEBOY$ - MAGAZINE
$UICIDEBOY$ - RUNNIN THRU THE 7TH WITH MY WOADIES
Beck - Loser
Big Country - In a Big Country
Chief Keef - Superheroes ft A$AP Rocky
Yung Lean - Kyoto
Yung Lean - Yoshi City
[Iforgotlol] - Sweet Caroline
~Fuccboi

Hurricane Rex

Reviving as a song has dropped recently that I can't stop listening to, especially when driving: Where are we going (Blood of the dead remix) by Kevin Sherwood.

Music video:

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on December 22, 2011, 07:03:24 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on December 22, 2011, 01:05:32 AM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 13, 2011, 08:13:28 PM
"Convoy" is perfect if you're a trucker. ;)
Actually? NO!! Drivers I've spoken with over the years despise this idiotic film!

The film's idiotic.  The song is a bit fun.
And the version of the song in the film is totally different than the original song, which BTW became a Top 40 hit.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

D-Dey65

There are actually a few songs by The Shins that I think are good for driving, primarily from the albums "Oh Inverted World," and "Chutes Too Narrow," even though none of them are about driving. Practically every song on "Chutes Too Narrow" except "Those to Come" is good for the road. From "Oh Inverted World," "Weird Divide" and "Your Algebra" aren't as good for a road trip. But most songs range from decent enough to above average.

And I don't know why, but "Pressed in a Book" was really good for driving up I-95 through parts of South Carolina.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.