News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Can ODOT make up its mind? I-5 exit signage between Wilsonville-Salem

Started by sp_redelectric, May 18, 2012, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

ODOT embarked on a new signage replacement project in which most of the signs between Portland and Salem shed their long known exit names (the nearby communities) in favor of the road names.

For example:  The very well known "Aurora/Donald Exit" became "Aurora/Ehlen Road".  "Wilsonville" became "Wilsonville Road", "Tualatin/Sherwood" became "Nyberg Street/Tualatin-Sherwood Road", "Lake Oswego" became "Lower Boones Ferry Road", etc.

After the expense of the new signs, ODOT decided to take down the Aurora/Ehlen Road sign, and go back to Aurora/Donald.  (No, it isn't a green-out patch like WSDOT and CalTrans.  Maybe ODOT was able to re-do the sign, but I didn't see any evidence of such - usually you have the paint fade from the old lettering show through.)  On the off-ramp there are also new signs for Donald (which were strangely omitted with the new signs - ODOT apparently felt that since Donald didn't exist on the state highway system that it didn't need any directional signs.)

:pan:

OCGuy81

Have they resigned the interchange of I-5 and 205 near Wilsonville yet?  My last trip up to Oregon, it looked like they were replacing some of the older signage on NB-5 approaching the 205.   your post reminded me of this.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 18, 2012, 09:44:04 AM
Have they resigned the interchange of I-5 and 205 near Wilsonville yet?

Oh, yes they have.  The signs for I-205 (NB) now have only the control city of Oregon City (no more Seattle or The Dalles); the only sign referencing I-84, The Dalles or Seattle is the highway diagram sign.  SB, the control cities are West Linn and Oregon City.

nexus73

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is....LOL!  That's the ODOT way.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Scott5114

The problem with the Aurora/Ehlen Road sign likely stems from the fact that the MUTCD frowns upon mixing locations and street names on one sign panel. Probably someone designed the signing project without remembering this stipulation and then ODOT changed it back when they realized what happened.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheStranger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 20, 2012, 12:13:22 AM
The problem with the Aurora/Ehlen Road sign likely stems from the fact that the MUTCD frowns upon mixing locations and street names on one sign panel.

When did this take effect in the MUTCD?  (I know in California, there are plenty of old examples of street name + location signs, though newer ones do generally just mention either street or destination.)
Chris Sampang

NE2

It's a silly rule, since it encourages using an illegible shield for a named highway rather than writing out the name in text.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OCGuy81

Thanks sp!  That's great that those were replaced.  badly needed!

IIRC, they actually have OR 551 signed from the 5 now too, correct?  Seems like ODOT is maybe trying to, dare I say, do a better job of signage finally?

roadfro

Quote from: TheStranger on May 20, 2012, 12:51:25 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 20, 2012, 12:13:22 AM
The problem with the Aurora/Ehlen Road sign likely stems from the fact that the MUTCD frowns upon mixing locations and street names on one sign panel.

When did this take effect in the MUTCD?  (I know in California, there are plenty of old examples of street name + location signs, though newer ones do generally just mention either street or destination.)

This is currently a guidance statement in 2009 MUTCD section 2E.10: "A city name and street name on the same sign should be avoided."

This guidance was present in section 2E.09 in the 2003, Millennium, 1988 and 1978 editions. The statement was in section 2E-8 in the 1971 MUTCD. I couldn't find it in the 1961 edition.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bickendan

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 20, 2012, 09:49:23 PM
Thanks sp!  That's great that those were replaced.  badly needed!

IIRC, they actually have OR 551 signed from the 5 now too, correct?  Seems like ODOT is maybe trying to, dare I say, do a better job of signage finally?
OR 551 is now signed on the exit BGS on I-5 south now. And we Oregonians call it 'I-5', not 'the 5' ;) (I'd prefer if it were known by its name, the Baldock, but that's just me...)

myosh_tino

Quote from: Bickendan on May 23, 2012, 09:16:06 AM
And we Oregonians call it 'I-5', not 'the 5' ;)
Please forgive OCGuy81.  He lives in So-Cal.  :bigass:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Scott5114

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 23, 2012, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on May 23, 2012, 09:16:06 AM
And we Oregonians call it 'I-5', not 'the 5' ;)
Please forgive OCGuy81.  He lives in So-Cal.  :bigass:

Reminds me of an older guy I used to work with who was from So-Cal. One time he was discussing the location of some car dealership or something and commented that it was on "the 240". I couldn't resist saying "The 240?" "Yes, the 240. The guy offered me..." and he just went on. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

OCGuy81

QuoteOR 551 is now signed on the exit BGS on I-5 south now. And we Oregonians call it 'I-5', not 'the 5' (I'd prefer if it were known by its name, the Baldock, but that's just me...)

Ha ha ha.  Hard habit to break, and I'm sure one that pegs me as being from southern California.  My wife and I are looking at vacation properties up in Bend.  I guess I'll have to try and blend in and not call it "the 97"  :-P

nexus73

It's funny how we have different ways of calling a road, highway, expressway or freeway.  I always called the SoCal freeways by their names (Foothill, San Bernardino, Golden State, Pomona, etc.).  Does anyone do that anymore or am I just out of the loop these days?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

OCGuy81

QuoteIt's funny how we have different ways of calling a road, highway, expressway or freeway.  I always called the SoCal freeways by their names (Foothill, San Bernardino, Golden State, Pomona, etc.).  Does anyone do that anymore or am I just out of the loop these days?

My father-in-law uses a few of the actual names.  Riverside (usually preceded by an f bomb) and Hollywood are the two that stand out the most.  he kind of mixes and matches. Some he'll use the names, but then talk about the 55 or the 15.

Bickendan

Some are easier to refer to by name, others by number, because they have multiple names.
Let's see if I can run this down...
CA 1 - Oxnard Freeway, PCH, Cabrillo Highway
CA 2 - [Hollywood], Glendale, Angeles Crest (Highway)
I-5 - Montgomery, San Diego (which splits off at I-405), Santa Ana (which splits off at US 101), Golden State (which splits off at CA 99), West Side..., Pacific Highway
I-10 - Santa Monica/Rosa Parks, Ramona/San Bernardino (which splits off at I-215?), Redlands
CA 14 - Antelope Valley, Midland Trail
CA/I-15 - Wabash, Escondido (which splits off at I-215), Corona (follows the CA 71 corridor), Ontario, Barstow
CA 18 - Rim of the World Dr
CA 22 - Garden Grove
I-40 - Needles
CA 55 - Costa Mesa
CA 57 - Orange
CA 60 - Pomona, Moreno Valley
CA 71 - Corona Expressway (corridor from I-15)
CA 73 - San Joaquin Hills, MacArthur
CA 90 - Marina, Imperial Highway
CA 91 - Redondo Beach, Artesia, Riverside (which splits off at I-215)
CA 99 - Golden State (from I-5)
US 101 - Santa Ana (from I-5), Hollywood (which splits off at CA 170), Ventura (from CA 134), El Camino Real, Redwood Highway (which splits off at US 199)
I-105 - Century/Anderson(?)
I-/CA 110 - Harbor, Pasadena/Arroyo Seco
CA 118 - Simi Valley/Ronald Reagan
CA 133 - Laguna
CA 134 - Ventura (which splits off at US 101)
I-/CA 210 - Foothill
I-215 - Escondido (from I-15), Moreno Valley (with CA 60), Riverside (from CA 91), San Bernardino (from I-10?, which splits at CA 259?), Barstow (which splits off at I-15)
CA 241 - Foothills Transportation Corridor
CA 269 - Eastern Transportation Corridor
I-405 - San Diego (from I-5)
I-605 - San Gabriel River
I-710 - Long Beach
I-805 - Jacob Dekema
I-905 - Otay Mesa
I don't know the San Diego freeway names outside the few already mentioned.

Portland:
I-5 - Pacific Highway, Baldock, Eastbank, Minnesota
OR 6 - Wilson River Hwy
OR 8 - Gales Creek Rd (county), Tualatin Valley Hwy, Canyon Rd (which merges onto US 26)
OR 10 - Farmington Rd, Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, Capitol Hwy, Barbur Blvd, Naito Pkwy/Front Ave
WA 14 - Lewis and Clark Frwy, Evergreen Hwy
OR 18 - Salmon River Hwy, Three Mile Ln
US 26 - Sunset Hwy, Canyon Rd (merges from OR 8), Mt Hood Hwy (which splits at OR 35)
US 30 - Lower Columbia River Hwy, St Helens Rd, Yeon Ave, {Stadium Frwy, Eastbank Frwy, Banfield Expressway}, Historic Columbia River Hwy, {Columbia River Hwy, Old Oregon Trail}
US 30 Byp - Portland Hwy (Lombard St, Killingsworth St, Sandy Blvd)
OR 35 - Mt Hood Hwy (from US 26)
OR 43 - Pacific Hwy (Willamette Dr, State St, Macadam Ave)
OR 58 - Willamette Hwy (I think this one's actually signed...)
I-84 - Banfield Expressway, Columbia River Hwy (which splits off at US 730), Old Oregon Trail
OR 99 - Rogue Valley Hwy, Pacific Hwy, various others
OR 99W - Pacific Hwy West/Herbert Hoover Hwy, Barbur Blvd, Front Ave, Interstate Ave (former)
OR 99E - Tangent Hwy, Pacific Hwy East, McGloughlin Blvd, MLK Jr Blvd/Grand Ave
OR 210 - Scholls Ferry Rd
OR 211 - Woodburn-Estacada Hwy, Eagle Creek Hwy
OR 212 - Clackamas Hwy
OR 213 - Silverton Rd, Cascade Hwy, Trail's End Hwy, East Portland Frwy, 82nd Ave
OR 214 - Silver Creek Falls Hwy
OR 224 - Milwaukie Expressway, Clackamas Hwy

OCGuy81

QuoteI don't know the San Diego freeway names outside the few already mentioned.

I don't think I've ever been in San Diego and heard the freeway name really used, just numbers.  Still, here is a short list to supplement yours.

I-8: Mission Valley Freeway
I-15: Avacado Hwy (I've never heard this one used, and question how accurate Google Maps is on it)
CA-52: San Clemente Canyon Fwy
CA-54: S Bay Fwy
CA-56: Ted Williams Fwy
CA-78: Ronald Packard Pkwy
CA-67: San Vicente Fwy
CA-94: MLK Jr Fwy
CA-163: Cabrillo Fwy

Bickendan

IIRC, I think I've seen the Thomas Guide use Avacado Hwy for I-15. I'll check that when I get home should I remember to do so.

The one I'm fairly sure is malarky is I-5's north of Red Bluff to Oregon: Google naming I-5 the Cascade Wonderland Hwy. Uh... wtf...

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Bickendan on May 25, 2012, 05:58:07 AM
OR 99W - Pacific Hwy West/Herbert Hoover Hwy, Barbur Blvd, Front Ave, Interstate Ave (former)

I don't think I've heard ANYONE refer to 99W as "Herbert Hoover Highway"...yes I know it's technically known as such north of Newberg and there are the marker signs, but it's just "Ninety-Nine-West" unless you're in Tigard - then it's "Pacific Highway West".

As a sidenote to my original post, it looks like only the northbound sign were replaced (and only the advance sign).  Southbound remains "Aurora/Ehlen Road" but ODOT has added a secondary sign for Donald, and added Donald signs on the off-ramp.

TheStranger

Quote from: Bickendan on May 25, 2012, 05:58:07 AM
Some are easier to refer to by name, others by number, because they have multiple names.
Let's see if I can run this down...
US 101 - Santa Ana (from I-5), Hollywood (which splits off at CA 170), Ventura (from CA 134), El Camino Real, Redwood Highway (which splits off at US 199)

After the "El Camino Real" segment...

- I think the El Camino name officially splits off from US 101 for good in Gilroy, with El Camino Real following the old US 101 (Business 101/Monterey Street in Gilroy, Monterey Road/Route 82 northwards to San Francisco).

- "South Valley Freeway" between Monterey Street in Gilroy and Route 82/Blossom Hill Road in San Jose, where the old Bayshore/Monterey Road Y interchange was until 1982.  Not sure this name is in common usage.

- Bayshore Freeway between Route 82 and the I-80 junction (also signed briefly as the "James Lick Freeway" for the San Francisco portion)

- Central Freeway between I-80 and Van Ness Avenue (Central Freeway continues west to Octavia Boulevard, used to carry 101 north to Golden Gate Avenue & Franklin Street).

- Van Ness Avenue/Mission Street, Lombard Street, Richardson Avenue

- Doyle Drive (soon to be Presidio Parkway) from Richardson Avenue to the Golden Gate Bridge.  (Doyle Drive continued east of US 101 to Marina Boulevard, prior to the current reconstruction project)

Then the Redwood Highway segment starts, at the north end of the bridge.
Chris Sampang

OCGuy81

QuoteThe one I'm fairly sure is malarky is I-5's north of Red Bluff to Oregon: Google naming I-5 the Cascade Wonderland Hwy. Uh... wtf...

I just saw that recently and had the same reaction.  Driving to Oregon, we stopped in Redding for the night and the hotel had some local attractions/tourist info, which I always enjoy looking through.

Sure enough, a map to Lake Shasta Caverns mentioned I-5 as the Cascade Wonderland Hwy :hmmm:

Bickendan

According to cahighways.org, "Historically, the portion of [Route 5] from Red Bluff to the Oregon state line was called the 'Cascade Wonderland Highway'."

Interesting.

Sd_fan2119

I have noticed these strange exit changes...to be honest I liked the old exit names better, made it easier with simply Wilsonville, N. Wilsonville, and Tualatin...glad they went back to the original Aurora/Donald exit, although I believe Newberg should also be marked on the exit sign since it's the closest route to Newberg coming from I-5 S (I believe 12 miles from the exit). On another note, I was driving on US-26 east last night and was astounded with the amount of US-26 E shield markers between North Plains and Beaverton. On the stretch from Exit 55 (Mountaindale) to 185th Ave. (I believe Exit 64) I think I counted about 5 or 6 shield markers...

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Sd_fan2119 on July 15, 2012, 05:23:11 PMI was driving on US-26 east last night and was astounded with the amount of US-26 E shield markers between North Plains and Beaverton. On the stretch from Exit 55 (Mountaindale) to 185th Ave. (I believe Exit 64) I think I counted about 5 or 6 shield markers...

However, between Portland and Gresham when you actually need the route markers posted at regular intervals, they are missing.  At least ODOT stopped telling motorists coming off I-205 at Powell that Division is U.S. 26 eastbound.

Sd_fan2119

I was traveling I-5 NB from Salem the other day and believe I noticed another change...the NB Woodburn Exit (271) is now labeled "OR-214, Woodburn, Molalla". I could be wrong but I don't remember Molalla being marked on this sign, especially because 214 doesn't run through Molalla (only 211 and 213). Either way, the constant exit changes are getting kind of ridiculous. I'm pretty sure every exit from Woodburn (271) to Lake Oswego/Boones Ferry (290) has been changed at least once in the past 5 or so years, except for the I-205 exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.