News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I'll quote it again for reinforcement:

Quote from: Super Mateo on June 23, 2018, 03:57:15 PM
Really, though, people from Chicagoland only recognize two areas in Illinois:  Chicagoland and Downstate.  ANYTHING that isn't Chicagoland is considered Downstate and vice versa.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

One interesting development in the 2050 plan was that McHenry county wanted the extension of 53 to US 12. They never had before. I wondered if like the Sandwich Plano wall Mc Henry felt that western part will remain rural and development is done and the road would be a huge benefit.In the NYT map Chicago looks well defined though despite its downstate nature it is continually built up to Soumonauk.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on December 04, 2018, 03:27:36 PM
The 4th lane is open on the Kennedy eastbound as work now moves to the westbound lanes. Overnight closures will still be needed for final tasks.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/About-IDOT/News/Construction-Releases/2018/Dec/12.4.18%20Inbound%20Kennedy%20lane.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0GuDKD6pt-YuQMgU-8VfBJtmAvAo37VjXBrvWHnz_2hL9ybJDiQ1ArsSY

I'll be driving through there this weekend, so we'll see how much it actually ends up helping. With how much IDOT spent, hopefully it wasn't a waste of time and dollars. Anyone driven through there so far and have any feedback?

ET21

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 04, 2018, 04:10:02 PM
The 4th lane is open on the Kennedy eastbound as work now moves to the westbound lanes. Overnight closures will still be needed for final tasks.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/About-IDOT/News/Construction-Releases/2018/Dec/12.4.18%20Inbound%20Kennedy%20lane.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0GuDKD6pt-YuQMgU-8VfBJtmAvAo37VjXBrvWHnz_2hL9ybJDiQ1ArsSY

I'll be driving through there this weekend, so we'll see how much it actually ends up helping. With how much IDOT spent, hopefully it wasn't a waste of time and dollars. Anyone driven through there so far and have any feedback?

Just did this morning, and I think this might have been due to AM rush hour. The bottleneck shifted to just before Canfield and continued through to about Austin before opening up. That might honestly be because of usual traffic and a snow burst we had. Otherwise it was wide open through Cumberland. 190 still needs some work done with final striping.

Would need to do that route for a week to see if it stays consistent, but at least through Cumberland, it was way better than before.

Clinched:

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on December 05, 2018, 08:17:47 AM

Just did this morning, and I think this might have been due to AM rush hour. The bottleneck shifted to just before Canfield and continued through to about Austin before opening up. That might honestly be because of usual traffic and a snow burst we had. Otherwise it was wide open through Cumberland. 190 still needs some work done with final striping.

Would need to do that route for a week to see if it stays consistent, but at least through Cumberland, it was way better than before.

That's good news to hear. I figured that there might be a bottleneck a bit further East, but I don't know that it's possible to completely eliminate traffic issues. Glad to at least hear that it's an improvement.

ET21

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 05, 2018, 12:14:30 PM
Quote from: ET21 on December 05, 2018, 08:17:47 AM

That's good news to hear. I figured that there might be a bottleneck a bit further East, but I don't know that it's possible to completely eliminate traffic issues. Glad to at least hear that it's an improvement.

I've been watching Google Maps all day, and after that initial jam, it's been green since 9am from 190 to about Lawrence. Just maybe....  :hmmm: :bigass:

Clinched:

Pritzger infrastructure transition team headed by QC Cong. Cheri Bustos. named today.

ChiMilNet

For those who haven't heard, the Circle... err... Jane Burne Interchange is now expected to take 3 more years than originally planned (to now be complete in 2022). Frankly, as a Chicago resident, this is ridiculous, and just shows the very poor lack of collaboration and planning on the part of IDOT with this one. The link to the entire article is below, but I thought I would post a few tidbits that really stood out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-jane-byrne-interchange-construction-delay-20181213-story.html

If the Illinois Department of Transportation meets that new deadline, the interchange will have been under reconstruction for eight years with at least a year of planning and designing before that. (Cranky motorists will argue that finishing in 2022 actually would make this a 10-construction-seasons project; IDOT itself has cited the Morgan Street bridge rebuild begun in September 2013 as "part of the overall Circle Interchange project."  But that's piling on.)

Two world wars were fought and won in less time. Rows of skyscrapers went up in less time. The transformation of Navy Pier, less time. New Comiskey Park, less time. Dan Ryan reconstruction, less time. Millennium Park, less time. The Deep Tunnel Project – oh, wait. That engineering feat began in the mid-1970s and isn't expected to be completed until 2029. Somebody, go pick on them.

I mean, 8-9 years?! That's insane and inexcusable!

We realize the Jane Byrne project – the Circle Interchange, aka "The Spaghetti Bowl,"  was renamed for the late mayor in 2014 – is about as complicated as they come. IDOT officials made a decision early on to keep lanes of traffic moving. That means the construction gets done more slowly and, so far, mostly on the bridges stretching across the expressways. That might explain why motorists don't often see work crews on the ground – often a ghost town of disheveled cement and barricades. Even the bridge work has been undertaken mostly at night to ameliorate traffic jams. IDOT also pleads that, to deal with deteriorating infrastructure, the agency unexpectedly had to reroute workers to Lake Shore Drive and Interstate 55 ramp projects.

They couldn't allocate a few more workers? It sounds like a cop out to me here at least!

However, I'm curious to hear other thoughts, and I am somewhat surprised this hasn't made it to the forum yet.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

eje657west

When I was checking out the new I-57 interchange at Bourbonnais, Exit 318, located in IDOT's Region 2, District 3, I was checking out the sign panels installed at the intersection.  When I was looking at the back of the signs, I noticed 2 stickers on the backs of the signs.  One of them shows me the specifications of the signs, while another sticker says:

"1-17"
"IHS"
"IDOT"

I live in the area of IDOT Region 1, District 1.  The prime contractors of a major road project in my district use subcontractors to furnish and install the sign panels on the road.  Could the new sign panels for the I-57 Bourbonnais Parkway interchange be made and installed in-house by IDOT from Springfield??? I doubt they were, but according to the stickers on the back of the signs they probably were, which is very unusual.

NOTE: I don't know how to insert pictures on the blog post, so I'll probably post links from my DropBox of the back of these signs.

ET21

I'm blessed I rarely need to use the Circle

Clinched:

abefroman329

Quote from: ET21 on December 17, 2018, 08:57:50 AM
The reconstruction of the I-55/LSD interchange was a much, much bigger thorn in my side, since the route between our home and almost any point east or south is LSD south to I-55 south.

Downstate Corridor Protection.  I saw there was a meeting about corridor protection for US 20 Freeway. I wondered if it was coming back to life. Instead I found out it was the opposite.  Should they drop it. They will decide early 2019. I know there was corridor protection on IL 13 127 and now they ate planning a roundabout instead if a bypass. Anyone know? Also there was one for IL 336. I know land has actually been purchased for US 67 and US 50 has mostly 4 lane ROW. Anyone know?

ChiMilNet

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 17, 2018, 09:35:13 AM
Quote from: ET21 on December 17, 2018, 08:57:50 AM
The reconstruction of the I-55/LSD interchange was a much, much bigger thorn in my side, since the route between our home and almost any point east or south is LSD south to I-55 south.

Both are/were a pain in their own right. I am not discounting the need for the 55/LSD interchange reconstruction, and it has been a much needed improvement that needed to get done. However, taking away resources from the Circle is just not smart, considering how that interchange is one of the most congested in the nation. Overall, I reiterate, poor planning on IDOT's part, and the issue extends beyond the interchange as there are backups that end up being several miles in some instances (Kennedy Expressway inbound is just one prime example).

ChiMilNet

Quote from: 3467 on December 17, 2018, 06:14:06 PM
Downstate Corridor Protection.  I saw there was a meeting about corridor protection for US 20 Freeway. I wondered if it was coming back to life. Instead I found out it was the opposite.  Should they drop it. They will decide early 2019. I know there was corridor protection on IL 13 127 and now they ate planning a roundabout instead if a bypass. Anyone know? Also there was one for IL 336. I know land has actually been purchased for US 67 and US 50 has mostly 4 lane ROW. Anyone know?

For US 20, there probably is little to no chance that ever gets converted to a full freeway in our lifetimes. I figure the only hope for that might be if the Tollway ever considered the project, and they honestly have much bigger and potential higher traffic priorities for the foreseeable future (IL 53 Extension, for instance). That said, if they already have the corridor (or even parts of it protected), then keep it that way. The Galena bypass would still be helpful, and they should also bypass some of the towns along the route such as Elizabeth, even with 2 lane facilities would help. I can't comment as much on those other corridors, but I would say that IDOT really needs to focus on fixing what exists now (I-80 across the entire state, and gradually widening/modernizing I-55 throughout the state, for instance).

Revive 755

ET21

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 17, 2018, 10:02:46 PM
^ I would hope they would at least keep a corridor for an interim upgraded two lane facility. 

Even in this one Streetview shot, the amount of traffic on the two lane section of US 20 is noticeable, along with the substandard cross section.

Ahh the mounds between Stockton and Woodbine... Fun section when it's very foggy and you can't see the dips of the road

Clinched:

Henry

Even as a native of Chicago who currently lives in Seattle, I like to keep up with the latest roads projects going on back home. That being said, the Circle Interchange reconstruction is already one big pain in the ass, with this latest delay. I hope ID(I)OT gets their act together, but I doubt that they ever will.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 17, 2018, 06:36:34 PM
Quote from: 3467 on December 17, 2018, 06:14:06 PM

For US 20, there probably is little to no chance that ever gets converted to a full freeway in our lifetimes. I figure the only hope for that might be if the Tollway ever considered the project, and they honestly have much bigger and potential higher traffic priorities for the foreseeable future (IL 53 Extension, for instance). That said, if they already have the corridor (or even parts of it protected), then keep it that way. The Galena bypass would still be helpful, and they should also bypass some of the towns along the route such as Elizabeth, even with 2 lane facilities would help. I can't comment as much on those other corridors, but I would say that IDOT really needs to focus on fixing what exists now (I-80 across the entire state, and gradually widening/modernizing I-55 throughout the state, for instance).

That protection s/b maintained.

US-20 is a solid E/W regional arterial.  I have driven it from Sioux City all the way to Elgin many times.

I remember when MINDOT had I-90 down to a creep to for a resurface project from Luverne to Albert Lea.  US-30/I-88 was too far south, so I gave US 20 in Iowa to Illinois a shot way back when. Great road, especially after they got the I-35 to Waterloo section done.

All that is left is Galena to Freeport and a new bridge at Dubuque. And that bridge at Dubuque is an oldie.

I use this route to bypass the busy/congested I-90/94 Minnesota and Wisconsin route to from Chicago area by taking I-29 at Sioux Falls and taking US-20 across. Can't tell you how many times I have been caught in major backups around Madison or Rockford

IDOT should not abandon this route.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on December 23, 2018, 06:09:26 PM

US-20 is a solid E/W regional arterial.  I have driven it from Sioux City all the way to Elgin many times.

I remember when MINDOT had I-90 down to a creep to for a resurface project from Luverne to Albert Lea.  US-30/I-88 was too far south, so I gave US 20 in Iowa to Illinois a shot way back when. Great road, especially after they got the I-35 to Waterloo section done.

All that is left is Galena to Freeport and a new bridge at Dubuque. And that bridge at Dubuque is an oldie.

I use this route to bypass the busy/congested I-90/94 Minnesota and Wisconsin route to from Chicago area by taking I-29 at Sioux Falls and taking US-20 across. Can't tell you how many times I have been caught in major backups around Madison or Rockford

There is some push for an interim safety improvement of US 20 between Freeport and Galena, but outside of a massive infusion of infrastructure funds, a 4 lane freeway is probably still off in the future. There has been some talk of twinning the Julien Dubuque bridge (which was built during WW II) with a new structure and then rehabbing the old one; it would be an Iowa DOT project since the bridge is their responsibility although IDOT would also contribute to the cost. There have been a few recent fatal crashes on the bridge, prompting local concern for action, but with the I-74 and I-80 bridges now on IowaDOT and IDOT's plate, not looking like a rehab is coming for several years.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/A-keystone-in-the-Key-City-reviewing-safety-on-the-Julien-Dubuque-Bridge-502035281.html

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 25, 2018, 11:17:03 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on December 23, 2018, 06:09:26 PM

There is some push for an interim safety improvement of US 20 between Freeport and Galena, but outside of a massive infusion of infrastructure funds, a 4 lane freeway is probably still off in the future. There has been some talk of twinning the Julien Dubuque bridge (which was built during WW II) with a new structure and then rehabbing the old one; it would be an Iowa DOT project since the bridge is their responsibility although IDOT would also contribute to the cost. There have been a few recent fatal crashes on the bridge, prompting local concern for action, but with the I-74 and I-80 bridges now on IowaDOT and IDOT's plate, not looking like a rehab is coming for several years.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/A-keystone-in-the-Key-City-reviewing-safety-on-the-Julien-Dubuque-Bridge-502035281.html

I did some research and it appears IDOT owns some land off US-20 along the Mississippi River to support a crossing just above Nine Mile Island.

I checked on the Iowa side and there were some proposals to connect US-20 east of Peosta with US-151 at the Dubuque Regional Airport. 

While I haven't seen anything official, logic would assume that any US-20 crossing at Nine Mile Island would also connect with the US-151/Future US-20 junction at the airport. 

Iowa has been focused on the NE/SE Arterial in Dubuque which eventually will bypass the town from the north and south and will probably become US-52 when finished to Key West.

But I have seen backups at the Julien Dubuque on the Iowa side, mostly trucks trying to reach Illinois.

If they ever decide to create a new river crossing, I assume it will cost as much or more than the Musial-Veterans in St Louis, or the Lewis & Clark Bridge in Louisville as they used the same design template.

mgk920

Would such a proposal also eliminate those &%@#$! stop and go lights on US 151 in downtown Dubuque?

:hmmm:

Mike

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on December 27, 2018, 11:22:30 AM
Would such a proposal also eliminate those &%@#$! stop and go lights on US 151 in downtown Dubuque?

:hmmm:

Mike
Probably not.  'sides.  Those are nothing compared to the string of lights along Dodge St (US 20) west of downtown.  Their poor synchronization makes parking lots at their points quite often.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rick Powell

Quote from: eje657west on December 16, 2018, 08:47:09 PM
When I was checking out the new I-57 interchange at Bourbonnais, Exit 318, located in IDOT's Region 2, District 3, I was checking out the sign panels installed at the intersection.  When I was looking at the back of the signs, I noticed 2 stickers on the backs of the signs.  One of them shows me the specifications of the signs, while another sticker says:

"1-17"
"IHS"
"IDOT"

I live in the area of IDOT Region 1, District 1.  The prime contractors of a major road project in my district use subcontractors to furnish and install the sign panels on the road.  Could the new sign panels for the I-57 Bourbonnais Parkway interchange be made and installed in-house by IDOT from Springfield??? I doubt they were, but according to the stickers on the back of the signs they probably were, which is very unusual.

NOTE: I don't know how to insert pictures on the blog post, so I'll probably post links from my DropBox of the back of these signs.

There is a sign shop in back of the Ottawa District 3 maintenance yard, and they are capable of making interstate-style BGS's but the practice for new construction projects has usually been for contractors to get supplier-made signs and install them. IDOT usually uses their sign shop to replace worn or damaged signs as part of routine maintenance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.