News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridges In Washington Suffer Repeated Hits

Started by cpzilliacus, July 18, 2013, 04:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Transportation Nation (WNYC.ORG): Bridges In Washington Suffer Repeated Hits

QuoteThere are more than 200 bridges in Washington that could collapse if a key part fails. They're classified as being fracture-critical, just like the Interstate 5 span that plummeted into the Skagit River in May after it was hit by an oversized load. Out of those fracture-critical bridges, at least three others have been struck multiple times in the past five years. Experts say repeated bridge strikes can potentially cause catastrophic problems.

QuoteThe three fracture-critical bridges in the state that have been hit more than once are a US Highway 101 bridge, a state Route 4 bridge over the Elochoman River, and the Kummer Bridge along state Route 169.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEK Inc.

Washington tends to have a pretty bad reputation with its bridges.  Oregon is pretty bad too.  *cough*Sellwood*cough*

I remember that a semi hit one of the overpasses on SR-14 in Vancouver, but it's a pretty modern structure.  I think they had to replace the signs on it.
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.