News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cleveland Opportunity Corridor

Started by ysuindy, June 02, 2014, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

silverback1065

so with this be SR 490 when finished?

thenetwork

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 08, 2018, 10:54:53 PM
so with this be SR 490 when finished?

Actually, the plan is to extend the eastern terminus of SR-10 at the corner of Ontario and Carnegie (more or less home plate at Jacob....er Progressive Field) onto I-77 South to the I-490 interchange then heading onto the OP.  I assume I-490 would "officially" end at I-77 then and SR-10 replaces what was I-490 east of I-77 and (my guess) would then terminate at Chester Ave./US-322.

silverback1065

I feel like it should be routed onto 90 where 10 and 90 cross, then follow it all the way to 77 via 490 and continuing east up the op

Buck87

I was in Cleveland today and took these pics...

From Quincy Ave looking north:

From Quincy Ave looking south:

From 93rd St looking east

From 93rd St looking west

VS988

Hot Rod Hootenanny

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D12/Deputy%20Director/News/Pages/Opportunity-Corridor-I-490-planned-closure-between-East-55th-Street-and-I-77.aspx

CLEVELAND (Tuesday, December 4, 2018) - Starting May 29, 2019 construction crews working on Section 3 of the Opportunity Corridor Project (OC3) will be closing I-490 between East 55th Street and I-77 for approximately two years. Traffic will be detoured via Woodland or Carnegie avenues to access East 55th Street. Specific detours are as follows:

I-77 northbound detour to East 55th Street northbound:
Exit at East 22nd Street/East 14th Street
Keep left onto East 14th Street
Keep right onto East 18th Street
Turn right on Carnegie Avenue to East 55th Street
I-77 northbound detour to East 55th Street southbound:

Exit at Woodland Avenue/East 30th Street
Keep right onto Woodland Avenue to East 55th Street
I-77 southbound detour to East 55th Street:

Exit at Woodland Avenue/East 30th Street
Keep left onto Woodland Avenue to East 55th Street
East 55th Street detour to I-490 westbound:
West on Woodland Ave to East 30th Street
Keep left and merge onto Orange Avenue
Keep right, merge onto I-77 southbound

Prior to the I-490 closure, temporary pavement will be installed to allow northbound and southbound traffic to continue on East 55th Street between approximately Bower and Francis avenues. Commuters should follow detour signage visible along the construction areas and are urged to use caution in the work zones.

Work during this two-year closure will include:
Demolition of existing buildings, bridges and tree removal
Reconstruction of the existing streets and intersections along the new boulevard
Major underground work including sanitary sewers, waterlines, drainage and utility services
Construction of new bridges and retaining walls
The OC3 design-build project will ultimately connect I-490/I-77 to E. 93rd Street, where Section 2 leaves off. OC3 construction highlights will include two new pedestrian bridges, four new bridges located over the boulevard, six signalized intersections, new water mains, new major sanitary and storm sewers, along with tree lawns, sidewalks and a shared-use path.

"ODOT and the city of Cleveland are excited to see the benefits outside of transportation the Opportunity Corridor project will bring and have already brought this part of Cleveland. This effort opens the potential for new economic development, new jobs and a new identify for the community,"  said ODOT District 12 Deputy Director Myron Pakush.

To date, the Opportunity Corridor project milestones include the completion of Section 1 with the widening of the existing East 105th Street between Quebec and Chester avenues. Section 2 opened to traffic late-November 2018 and features a new roadway between East 93rd Street and Quebec Avenue including the new East 105th Street Bridge that passes over Norfolk Southern Railroad and the newly expanded Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority station platform.

Kokosing Construction Company, Inc. was awarded the design-build contract on the third and final section of the Opportunity Corridor with a bid amount of $150,858,250.

The purpose of the Opportunity Corridor Project is to improve transportation and economic development in the historically underserved part of Cleveland known as the "Forgotten Triangle"  located within the City of Cleveland, between I-490/I-77 and University Circle. The three-mile boulevard will provide improved access to and through the communities of Slavic Village, Central, Kinsman, Buckeye-Shaker, and Fairfax. The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) District 12 is leading the project in partnership with the City of Cleveland.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

In other words, I-490 will be officially truncated to I-77 at that time.  The shortest interstate in Cleveland gets even shorter.

Buck87

I drove the part that's now open between Quincy and E. 93rd yesterday, which was a rather quick drive. It just ends at 93rd, with no construction activity going on there currently. Though at the E. 55th/I-490 I could see what looked like demo and land clearing underway on the the east side of the intersection.   

silverback1065

Quote from: Buck87 on April 11, 2019, 10:46:28 PM
I drove the part that's now open between Quincy and E. 93rd yesterday, which was a rather quick drive. It just ends at 93rd, with no construction activity going on there currently. Though at the E. 55th/I-490 I could see what looked like demo and land clearing underway on the the east side of the intersection.   

What is the name of this new road?

The Ghostbuster

Just for shits and giggles, I'd name the entire Opportunity Corridor the Lebron James Opportunity Corridor.

Buck87

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 11, 2019, 11:22:12 PM
What is the name of this new road?

Ah, sorry, I didn't look to see what they had on the sign blade.

sandwalk

Hopefully a better name is chosen for this road.  Right now, it's just "Opportunity Corridor."

https://twitter.com/NickCastele/status/1068216911467560961

mgk920

Any marketing major worth his or her salt could come up with a good campaign based on something as simple as 'OH 490' (which, IMHO, this road should be called).

Mike

Buck87

Ohio does not do state route numbers that are already taken by an Interstate or US Route

PurdueBill

This is an example of a perfect place to do so, just like New York does for non-Interstate-grade extensions of Interstates.  Makes a lot of sense vs. changing numbers.
OH 420 could just as well be OH 280 for continuity, for another example. 

mgk920

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 14, 2019, 06:15:40 PM
This is an example of a perfect place to do so, just like New York does for non-Interstate-grade extensions of Interstates.  Makes a lot of sense vs. changing numbers.
OH 420 could just as well be OH 280 for continuity, for another example.

Ditto I-794/WI 794 here in Wisconsin.

Mike

seicer

This will be signed as Ohio Route 10 once it is complete.

The Ghostbuster

I'm assuming this means OH 10 will get on Interstate 90 at Exit 167B, and be co-designated with 90 (and 490) to Interstate 77. Will existing OH 10 along the surface streets be turned back to local control?

thenetwork

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 15, 2019, 03:04:16 PM
I'm assuming this means OH 10 will get on Interstate 90 at Exit 167B, and be co-designated with 90 (and 490) to Interstate 77. Will existing OH 10 along the surface streets be turned back to local control?

I believe that SR-10 will remain on Lorain Avenue, over the Hope Bridge to its current terminus with Ontario St.  From there, SR-10 will enter the start of I-77 South (Either via Ontario and Orange or via E. 9th St.) and exit at I-490.

Although by taking SR-10 off surface streets at I-90 and West Blvd. and multiplexing with I-90 and I-490 to E. 55th St. would certainly simplify using SR-10 cross-town for drivers.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

If you all would just go back to page 1 for this thread, you'll see the same people making the same arguments 2 & 5 years ago.  :pan:  :ded:

PurdueBill

Literally verbatim in some cases.  :P  But to be fair, this damned road just drags on and on and on.....

And seriously, while Ohio doesn't use numbers for state and Interstate/US routes, why not?  It makes sense here.  Making OH 10 run all over the place is silly.  Who would actually follow OH 10 as it will eventually run?

zzcarp

As a former Clevelander who used to travel from the southwest side to University Circle often, the SR 10 designation seems odd (even if its ending at Carnegie/Ontario always seemed a tad awkward and undersigned as well). My proposal would be to reroute US 322 from University Circle to terminate at I-77/I-490 and reroute US 20 onto current US 322/Chester Blvd to rejoin Euclid at University Circle. The reworking of 20's current route on Euclid from Public Square to University Circle with the bus rapid transit really ended Euclid's utility to serve a US route. This would rectify that by putting 20 on the fastest route to University Circle from Public Square while giving the Opportunity Corridor a US route number that befits its status as the new fastest route to University Circle.
So many miles and so many roads

silverback1065

322 shouldn't exist west of us 20

FightingIrish

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 20, 2019, 10:18:52 AM
Cleveland likes to have all the routes terminate at Public Square. Except for the major through routes like 2, 6, and 20.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 20, 2019, 10:18:52 AM

And I-74 shouldn't exist south of I-70.
US 24 shouldn't exist south of US 30.
Find something better to complain about.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.