Exits that could be/should be done away with

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, December 14, 2023, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

(Mods, if this isn't the right place for this thread, feel free to move it elsewhere)

With all the talk on adding exits on roadways near us, I'll toss the opposite at you: What exits on freeways/interstates in your area could be done away with? For my neck of the woods, several comes to mind on I-40 between Asheville and Statesville (not every wide-spot-in-the-road needs an exit, and they damn sure don't need multiples in some cases)........off the top of my head, exits 73, 75, 94, 96, 98, 106, 107, 111, 118, 121, 133, 138, 141 and 144 could probably all go along 40 and nothing of major significance would be lost
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Big John

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

I've mentioned this before, but I think there's a pretty strong case for removing NY 590's Exit 6 for Blossom Rd, located just north of the infamous Can of Worms interchange. It notably provides access to NY 590 NB from the East Ave Wegmans area, but otherwise doesn't serve much purpose aside from redundancy to Exit 7. That latter feature is important at peak times, especially during morning rush hour when it's an alternate to I-590 SB that avoids the notoriously congested SB stretch from Exit 7 to Exit 5, but it doesn't provide access to I-490, which defeats much of the purpose. The second-biggest problem with it is the NB weave, which notoriously backs traffic up onto I-490 WB. An auxiliary lane extended to Exit 7 instead of exiting at Exit 6 would be a huge improvement - though to be fair, this could probably be done with or without Exit 6 being there.

OldDominion75

I-85 doesn't really need exit 226 or 229 in Warren County, North Carolina. I-95 could do without exit 17 and exit 24 in southern Virginia.

Henry

I noticed that State Street in Chicago has an onramp to NB I-55 and an offramp from SB I-55. This isn't needed IMO, because it's near the Interstate's literal end at Lake Shore Drive!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

DandyDan

Exit 116 on I-35 in Iowa just north of Ames could be removed. It doesn't connect to anything including US 69 three miles to the west.

Exit 2 on I-35 in Minnesota could be easily eliminated. It defaults into a gravel road a mile west of the interchange. It heads east and north into Glenville, which has Exit 5 for its NB exit.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ted$8roadFan

A number of exits on I-95/Connecticut Turnpike should be removed or redesigned.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on December 14, 2023, 05:46:22 PM
(Mods, if this isn't the right place for this thread, feel free to move it elsewhere)

With all the talk on adding exits on roadways near us, I'll toss the opposite at you: What exits on freeways/interstates in your area could be done away with? For my neck of the woods, several comes to mind on I-40 between Asheville and Statesville (not every wide-spot-in-the-road needs an exit, and they damn sure don't need multiples in some cases)........off the top of my head, exits 73, 75, 94, 96, 98, 106, 107, 111, 118, 121, 133, 138, 141 and 144 could probably all go along 40 and nothing of major significance would be lost

I can agree with most of these, except for 73, since it allows for access to Old Fort to and from the east. If anything, I'd get rid of 72, since it has a similar AADT but only partial access. I'd also keep 94 mostly for connectivity reasons. But past that, yeah, they put in exits for some really little roads in that stretch.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

mgk920

The northeasternmost interchange on US 151 in Waupun, WI (WI 26 street access in the city) strikes me as being a total waste of time and money to build and maintain and, IMHO, should be removed and re-engineered into a straight across street crossing.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on December 16, 2023, 05:51:39 AM
Exit 2 on I-35 in Minnesota could be easily eliminated. It defaults into a gravel road a mile west of the interchange. It heads east and north into Glenville, which has Exit 5 for its NB exit.

Exit 47 on I-90 (a half-diamond with Nobles CSAH 3) seems similarly if not even more pointless. The orientation of the ramps don't even make sense to me. If they were WB exit/EB entrance, sure, you couild avoid backtracking through Worthington to get to CSAH 3 and I would get having that half-diamond a little more, but...
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Virginia just eliminated part of an interchange, the two ramps between I-395 and Boundary Channel Drive near the Pentagon on the south side of said interchange. They built a roundabout on Boundary Channel Drive and all traffic now uses the two ramps on the north side of the interchange. Part of the reason for this was that mapping software was telling people to enter the highway and then immediately cut across all four lanes of traffic to the left-side exit for US-1 in an exceptionally short amount of road. If you search @Statter911 on Twitter, you'll find videos of this sort of thing.

In terms of an interchange that could probably be removed with no major effects, the Eisenhower Avenue Connector interchange on the Beltway in Virginia is one. It was built to spur development in the Eisenhower Avenue corridor, but it didn't really do that to any great effect (there is a big vacant office building that the TSA tried to move to until someone protested the contract because the building was bigger than the TSA was authorized to rent). I use that interchange occasionally to go to the glass recycling place on Eisenhower if the traffic light on Van Dorn Street is red when I approach the Beltway, but for the most part it doesn't seem like an essential interchange in any way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 17, 2023, 04:50:39 AM

Exit 47 on I-90 (a half-diamond with Nobles CSAH 3) seems similarly if not even more pointless. The orientation of the ramps don't even make sense to me. If they were WB exit/EB entrance, sure, you couild avoid backtracking through Worthington to get to CSAH 3 and I would get having that half-diamond a little more, but...
Superficially, I agree with you on that. However, I am inclined to believe that exit exists as a byproduct of the weigh station west of there. I suspect they make MN 60 traffic use that weigh station whenever it is operational. Once they are done, they turn around at that exit to go back to MN 60. At least that's my theory about that exit.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: DandyDan on December 18, 2023, 07:33:46 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 17, 2023, 04:50:39 AM

Superficially, I agree with you on that. However, I am inclined to believe that exit exists as a byproduct of the weigh station west of there. I suspect they make MN 60 traffic use that weigh station whenever it is operational. Once they are done, they turn around at that exit to go back to MN 60. At least that's my theory about that exit.

They doi force I-90 truck traffic to continue to the weigh station when open (a fairly common practice in MN at least that I can't say for sure about other states). That probably makes the most sense to have the turnaround or for trucks to just go north on County 3 to TH 60 if they're going east on that route.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JCinSummerfield

GaryV

MikieTimT

kphoger

Whenever I see this thread pop up, I think:  All of them!  On-ramps only!  bwahahahaha  :evilgrin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

The I-295 & US 130 overlap in Gloucester County, NJ has many that could be removed or consolidated with other interchanges. It was a preexisting expressway for US 130 originally before becoming an interstate so it has the old US 130 character still.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ran4sh

I don't remember who first said this, but about a decade ago I read a suggestion somewhere, for the on-ramp from Edgewood Av to I-75/85 SB to be closed (the one that corresponds to Exit 248B NB). That was about 1 to 1.5 decades ago and it's still a valid suggestion today. Edgewood onramp traffic weaves with exiting traffic to both M. King Dr (SB exit 248A) and I-20 (SB exit 247), which causes traffic to slow down on that part of I-75/85 for most of the day.

From Edgewood, traffic can easily turn NB on Piedmont Av, then right on Ellis St, then right onto I-75/85 SB. Or, NB on Boulevard, then left on Lewis Freedom Pkwy, then take the ramp onto I-75/85 SB.

Another suggestion is that in Athens GA on SR 10 Loop, access to Old Hull Road could be removed from the interchange with US 29.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Flint1979

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on December 19, 2023, 12:27:50 PM
Exit 342 off I-75 in Michigan.
I dunno but I always go straight when I'm on the Mackinac  Bridge.

Crown Victoria

Exit 15 off I-78 in PA (Grimes) could easily be eliminated. It's a RIRO interchange with township roads with no immediate access across I-78 and no tractor trailers allowed. What little traffic uses this exit could easily use Exit 13 (PA 501, Bethel) or Exit 16 (Midway).

Flint1979

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 23, 2023, 01:03:15 PM
Exit 15 off I-78 in PA (Grimes) could easily be eliminated. It's a RIRO interchange with township roads with no immediate access across I-78 and no tractor trailers allowed. What little traffic uses this exit could easily use Exit 13 (PA 501, Bethel) or Exit 16 (Midway).
I hate exits like that.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 26, 2023, 10:04:16 AM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 23, 2023, 01:03:15 PM
I hate exits like that.

They should really connect the two RIRO with an overpass while eliminating the ramps.

However, my trip to Colorado in 2001 revealed plenty of those interchanges on I-25 from Trinidad to Denver.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikeTheActuary

Half to two-thirds of the exits on I-95 in Connecticut.

In fairness, the phenomenon of everyone agreeing that there are too many exits, but not wanting *their* exits closed, plus limited capacity on surface streets along the corridor, is an understandable reason why this has not and probably will not ever happen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.