News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: index on February 23, 2018, 02:54:38 PM
Quote from: LM117 on February 23, 2018, 12:23:50 PM
Jacksonville is wanting a piece of the interstate pie, but they don't know which slice they want.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20180218/jacksonville-could-see-interstate-access-soon

I could definitely see an I-42 extension to Jacksonville.

...except that I-42 is going to Morehead City, not Jacksonville.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

orulz

I think US 17's manifest destiny is to become an interstate, at least between Myrtle Beach and Norfolk. The way that coastal areas are developing makes it when, not if.

LM117

Quote from: BrianP on February 23, 2018, 03:15:37 PM
I couldn't figure out why they didn't mention I-42.  All but two of the routes mentioned would be a I-42 3di.  The state is committed enough to I-42 to bank on it. 

If one of the I-42 routes were chosen could Jacksonville steal I-42 since it's more than twice as big as New Bern?  I doubt it since the point of I-42 seems to be to reach Cherry Point and the port of Beaufort.  But I thought it would be fun to ask.

US-70 between I-40 in Garner and Morehead City was made a Congressionally designated future interstate and High Priority Corridor by the FAST Act that Obama signed in 2015.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/Planning/national_highway_system/high_priority_corridors/hpcor.cfm#l82

Because AASHTO assigned the I-42 number to US-70, I-42's routing can only be changed by Congress and there's absolutely zero chance of that happening, nor would there be any support for it in eastern NC (except perhaps Jacksonville). The importance of US-70 warrants a single interstate number anyway.

LM117

Quote from: orulz on February 23, 2018, 03:27:04 PM
I think US 17's manifest destiny is to become an interstate, at least between Myrtle Beach and Norfolk. The way that coastal areas are developing makes it when, not if.

NCDOT wants to eventually make US-17 a freeway throughout the whole state, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

That being said, I think NCDOT should focus on I-42 and I-795 first. Of all the future interstates that's been officially designated so far, those two corridors are the most important in eastern NC right now, IMO.

froggie

^^ The Legislation just means the corridor needs to be an Interstate.  It doesn't specify that it needs to be the same number along the entire corridor.  Theoretically, I-42 could be routed to Jacksonville as long as the segment of US 70 being bypassed by 42 has another Interstate designation.

That said, I agree with your last sentence in that US 70 is important enough to where it should retain a single Interstate number.

orulz

NCDOT has posted a visualization video of the Complete 540 project.

youtu.be/TU3UVwAtc5Y

Most of this is pretty conventional stuff. Dat 5-way interchange, tho.... It can be seen at 4:30 in the video. They are literally one ramp away from having a roundabout with a diameter of 3/4 mile. Basically a giant circular collector/distributor handling some of the less busy movements.

Bobby5280

Quote from: LM117That being said, I think NCDOT should focus on I-42 and I-795 first. Of all the future interstates that's been officially designated so far, those two corridors are the most important in eastern NC right now, IMO.

Actually, I think US-74/76 coming out of Wilmington should be upgraded to Interstate standards from I-140 to Whiteville. For all the emphasis North Carolina's I-87 effort would give to an out of state port one would think they might want to direct more business at the port in Wilmington. I think it's ridiculous both I-73 and I-74 are planned to go into the Myrtle Beach metro. I think I-74 would be better directed to Wilmington. It would certainly be far easier to upgrade the existing US-74/76 divided highway to Interstate standards rather than build all the new terrain mileage needed to get the road into the Myrtle Beach area.

Before all the I-73/I-74 stuff got started I thought I-20 should be extended East from Florence, SC over to Wilmington.

wdcrft63

Jacksonville is wanting a piece of the interstate pie, but they don't know which slice they want.

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20180218/jacksonville-could-see-interstate-access-soon

I could definitely see an I-42 extension to Jacksonville. An auxiliary of I-42 to Jacksonville (probably I-142) would also be neat, I don't think NC has any I-1xx's besides 140. Of course this isn't possible until I-42 is actually done, which is probably why they're not considering it. Why wait for a whole 2DI to be done?
The obvious way to connect Jacksonville to the Interstate system is by upgrading US 17 to a freeway between Jacksonville and New Bern, something likely to happen anyway. The approach to New Bern is already a freeway connecting to US 70/Future I-42, and a current project is extending this freeway through Jones County. NCDOT has been building freeways all across the state for many years; it's only in the last few years that City Councils and Chambers of Commerce have become seized with the desire to put Interstate shields on those freeways.

sparker

At the risk of edging into the Fictional realm (although with NC that line is certainly blurred!), after an E-W US 74-based corridor between I-26 and Rockingham is fully planned and incorporated into the state's Interstate network (which more than one poster deems inevitable), my guesstimation is that the next project to be tackled will be the "Interstatization" of US 17 from at least Wilmington north to Williamston/I-87 (and probably south of there into SC, piggybacking on the I-74 concept).  What it would be designated is anyone's guess, but the prospect of serving Jacksonville and Camp Lejeune would likely be a deciding factor (along with the fact that much of it has already seen improvement albeit on a piecemeal basis).  Probably 25-40 years out at best, but likely already on someone's radar with NC circles.   

jcarte29

Given the I-42 project Clayton-Morehead City (understanding it has a lot of work to do), the best chance Jville has would be a spur of it. As someone who lived in Jville area for 8 years, and traveled those roads extensively, a connection from New Bern is already under construction.

US 17 from Wilmington up is no where near standard, and nothing on the books will expedite that.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

LM117

Quote from: Bobby5280 on February 23, 2018, 05:08:45 PM
Quote from: LM117That being said, I think NCDOT should focus on I-42 and I-795 first. Of all the future interstates that's been officially designated so far, those two corridors are the most important in eastern NC right now, IMO.

Actually, I think US-74/76 coming out of Wilmington should be upgraded to Interstate standards from I-140 to Whiteville. For all the emphasis North Carolina's I-87 effort would give to an out of state port one would think they might want to direct more business at the port in Wilmington. I think it's ridiculous both I-73 and I-74 are planned to go into the Myrtle Beach metro. I think I-74 would be better directed to Wilmington. It would certainly be far easier to upgrade the existing US-74/76 divided highway to Interstate standards rather than build all the new terrain mileage needed to get the road into the Myrtle Beach area.

Wilmington is pushing hard for it and I agree that I-74 should go to Wilmington.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20171030/officials-want-to-see-i-140-get-second-interstate-shield

QuoteBefore all the I-73/I-74 stuff got started I thought I-20 should be extended East from Florence, SC over to Wilmington.

Back in the early 2000's, NC governor Mike Easley wanted I-20 extended to Wilmington but SC refused. All talk of it dropped since then, but I think NCDOT still shows an I-20 extension on their maps so they seem to be keeping the pipe dream alive.

LM117

Quote from: jcarte29 on February 23, 2018, 10:37:59 PMUS 17 from Wilmington up is no where near standard, and nothing on the books will expedite that.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US17HampsteadBypass/

Mapmikey

Quote from: LM117 on February 24, 2018, 02:14:00 AM

Back in the early 2000's, NC governor Mike Easley wanted I-20 extended to Wilmington but SC refused. All talk of it dropped since then, but I think NCDOT still shows an I-20 extension on their maps so they seem to be keeping the pipe dream alive.

So slap I-20 shields on I-95 and a US 74 freeway to Wilmington.  Then you could also have I-20 run to Jacksonville.

SC refuses (as it has for decades) to extend I-20 directly to Wilmington because they get nothing out of it.  SC would want to run it close to Myrtle Beach which makes it less desirable for Wilmington given that I-95 to US 74 to Wilmington is only 10-15 miles longer than US 76 directly (presumed I-20 corridor).  And since they are trying to get I-73 built, extending I-20 to Myrtle Beach doesn't even make that much sense anymore either.

Revive 755

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 24, 2018, 11:01:32 AM
And since they are trying to get I-73 built, extending I-20 to Myrtle Beach doesn't even make that much sense anymore either.

SC could at least extend I-20 to end at I-73.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 24, 2018, 11:37:50 AM
And since they are trying to get I-73 built, extending I-20 to Myrtle Beach doesn't even make that much sense anymore either.

This already exists - I-95, which runs more E-W from Florence to North Carolina.  I-20 would have to bypass Florence...around the north side it would just use I-95 and I-73 is supposed to cross 95 a little north of SC 38. 

If I-20 were to bypass Florence around the south it would be considerably longer than just using 95 to 73 and also have to traverse a large swamp (Pee Dee River).

jwolfer

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 24, 2018, 11:37:50 AM

If South Carolina had money they would probably complete SC22 to Florence.. if it were built to interstate standards and they applied to have it designated and it were complete it would probably be approved.

Myrtle Beach should be hooked into interstate system better. But SC did not invest.. and Wilmington to Charlotte ( and out to i26) should be an interstate but NOT 74. I like 28. i74 makes no sense in NC it will never be completed by WV, or OH.. much of it is with 73

NC is actually planning and building roads so much more likely to be more along NC wishes.

Z981

WashuOtaku

Wilmington is pushing hard for it and I agree that I-74 should go to Wilmington.

If Wilmington wants to make it happen, then they need to lobby the Federal Government to change I-74's routing, otherwise it's not going to happen.  Wilmington cannot just add I-74 shields, NCDOT isn't going to reroute the freeway to them and South Carolina will not stand for it.

Notice the fact that nobody has talked about it since Easley left office. I doubt NCDOT is even thinking about it.  Dreams come and go, so just accept it and move on.

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 25, 2018, 02:01:13 PM

If Wilmington wants to make it happen, then they need to lobby the Federal Government to change I-74's routing, otherwise it's not going to happen.  Wilmington cannot just add I-74 shields, NCDOT isn't going to reroute the freeway to them and South Carolina will not stand for it.

Notice the fact that nobody has talked about it since Easley left office. I doubt NCDOT is even thinking about it.  Dreams come and go, so just accept it and move on.
(1) The idea of extending I-20 is ancient history; no one in any position of responsibility is thinking about it now.

(2) I-74 is never going to Myrtle Beach. The route exists of some NCDOT maps, but there is zero interest in building it. NCDOT is cooperating with SC on an extension of SC 31 to connect with US 17, but neither state is calling this an I-74 project.

(3) I-74, under some name or other, will eventually go to the Wilmington. The gap between the current end of Future I-74 east of Whiteville and I-140 at Leland is about 32 miles. The first 14 miles (from east of Whiteville to east of Bolton) is already on new location and only needs to have a few at-grade intersections upgraded. The remaining 18 miles probably require a new route. Look for NCDOT to begin planning this route within the next few years.

index

Quote from: LM117 on February 23, 2018, 03:23:45 PM

I could definitely see an I-42 extension to Jacksonville.

...except that I-42 is going to Morehead City, not Jacksonville.

I had thought that Jacksonville was more south of Morehead City.. In my head when I wrote that post my brain just told me it was on the south side of the Albemarle-Pamlico Peninsula.

Even then, albeit being silly, it could just pull an I-64 Hampton Roads area and then go to Jacksonville.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

bob7374

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 25, 2018, 02:01:13 PM

SCDOT signed an agreement with NCDOT in the 2005 whereby NCDOT got to move their proposed route for I-73 further east in exchange for their financing the extension of the Carolina Bays Parkway northward to US 17 in NC which could either be I-74 or an I-74 spur route. Therefore changing the I-74 route to end in Wilmington should not be a big deal to SC, if they end up with another route to Myrtle Beach, though, as pointed out, it would need federal approval.

wdcrft63

Following public hearings, NCDOT has selected designs for the reconstruction of three interchanges on the older section of I-40 in the Morganton area (Burke County). The three exits (#100, 107, and 111) are all old, tight-ramped diamonds. They'll still be diamonds, but with new bridges over the freeway and, in most cases, roundabouts at the ends of the ramps. Maps are available here:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14897

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2018, 09:44:34 AM
Following public hearings, NCDOT has selected designs for the reconstruction of three interchanges on the older section of I-40 in the Morganton area (Burke County). The three exits (#100, 107, and 111) are all old, tight-ramped diamonds. They'll still be diamonds, but with new bridges over the freeway and, in most cases, roundabouts at the ends of the ramps. Maps are available here:

Fantastic news.  Those bridges and ramps needed to be replaced.

bob7374

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 01, 2018, 12:24:09 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 01, 2018, 09:44:34 AM

Fantastic news.  Those bridges and ramps needed to be replaced.

With the other project of making exit 103 an SPUI with Burkemont going 6 lanes, it looks like Morganton will be construction ground zero for many years.  Exit 104 and 105 are rebuilt but the Old NC 18 overpass needs replaced before any thoughts of making I-40 into 6 lanes can happen.  There has been no talk of upgrades to exit 106, and frankly, if it were not for the businesses at the exit, the exit could just go away.  I do find it hard to believe anyone local would have suggested roundabouts.  Lots of industrial at exit 100, lots of semi's.

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on March 05, 2018, 06:17:01 PM
Progress report on the Greenville SW Bypass Project:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14921

In other Greenville-related news, here's an update on the 10th Street Connector project:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14919

QuoteThe N.C. Department of Transportation has been hard at work converting 10th Street in Greenville into a four-lane divided road with a landscaped median that directly links Memorial Drive to 10th Street at Evans Street.

Once completed by summer, 2019, the 10th Street Connector will provide a vital connection between Vidant Medical Center and East Carolina University (and Uptown Greenville Central Business District).

The 1.4 mile long connector is expected to reduce traffic congestion and create greater connectivity with the construction of a bridge over the CSX Rail Road.

Recent activity on the 10th Street Connector includes the grading and paving of 9th Street, utility and drainage work on Evans Street, new lanes on Farmville Boulevard to tie into Memorial Street.

DOT will soon be shifting traffic to new lanes on Farmville Blvd, so work on existing lanes can take place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.