News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: plain on January 30, 2018, 05:16:12 PM
About the new rest area.. this is the first one I've heard about being constructed in the median in a very long time. Matter of fact the last one I know was the ones on I-85 in between those double crossovers southwest of Thomasville, but that's different because that section of highway was newly constructed plus no left hand exits necessary. I'm actually surprised the feds let NCDOT get by with this new one. I thought they frown upon new left hand exits on interstates now or something

I believe this is the location here, with construction nearly complete --
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9006256,-80.8586975,574m/data=!3m1!1e3
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TimQuiQui

Travelling that stretch of 77 often I was rather surprised when I saw the left hand exit and entrances start to go in, but 77 empties out fast as soon as you hit 40 going north. That stretch from 40 to 421 has to be one of the least driven miles of interstate in the state and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon so it doesn't bother me safetywise. One of those cases where the benefits seem to clearly outweigh the risks IMO.

fillup420

It seems as though the interstate was planned and built to have a rest area in that spot. The median has always been very wide there.

LM117

NCOT has awarded a contract to make improvements to US-17 Business between Hertford and Winfall, which includes replacing the Perquimans River bridge. However, construction won't begin until summer 2019.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14817

In other news, another contract has been awarded to build a pedestrian tunnel under Trinity Road in Raleigh, linking the parking lots at Carter-Finley Stadium and the state fairgrounds.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14820
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ARMOURERERIC

I had the opportunity to drive through the NE outskirts of Shelby today.  Wanted to note significant construction activity around the NC 150/ NC 180 Intersection for the US 74 Shelby bypass.  Work is for the bridge over NC 150 and a nearby parrell creek to the west.

cowboy_wilhelm

I found a GIS file on NCDOT's website showing future Interstate designations. I guess most of these are already known, but I thought I'd throw it on a map for a good visualization.

sparker

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on February 09, 2018, 05:04:01 PM
I found a GIS file on NCDOT's website showing future Interstate designations. I guess most of these are already known, but I thought I'd throw it on a map for a good visualization.

Interesting that this doesn't show the portion of I-87 west of I-95; that should have been there on any earlier versions of this as I-495 in any case, so it's likely just a cartographic error.   

rickmastfan67

Quote from: sparker on February 09, 2018, 05:14:54 PM

Interesting that this doesn't show the portion of I-87 west of I-95; that should have been there on any earlier versions of this as I-495 in any case, so it's likely just a cartographic error.   

They do partially show it.  Just the segment between I-587 & I-95 is missing.

They are also missing I-840 too (except for what had already been opened prior to mid 2017).

Roadsguy

Sure makes it obvious how incredibly dumb the planned end of I-74 is...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jwolfer

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 09, 2018, 10:37:18 PM
Sure makes it obvious how incredibly dumb the planned end of I-74 is...
I agree... 74 is way out of place... It will never be linked to the Western 74. There is a long multiple with 73... Another number for 74 in Southeast NC should be given. .. I say 28 and then go to Charlotte and i26

Z981

LM117

I-74 wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for that crooked ass turn to South Carolina. Anybody coming from Rockingham and points west or north would use I-73 to go to Myrtle Beach.

Another thing that stands out in that map is that it confirms what many of us suspected about I-285. It was originally supposed to end at I-40 just south of Winston-Salem, but once it was decided that I-74 become part of the W-S Northern Beltway, there were suspicions that I-285 would be extended north of I-40 through downtown W-S to the beltway.

Of all the future interstates, I-795 and I-42 are the most important right now, IMO. They're both major trucking corridors connected to ports, serve as hurricane evacuation routes, as well as carrying tourist traffic and neither corridor has to rely on cooperation from states like Virginia that have zero interest in new interstates or South Carolina, who wants the feds to pay for everything...

dfilpus

Other errors in map:
The Winston-Salem North Beltway is not shown at all. Future I-74 should be routed over the Beltway on the east side and Future I-274 on the west side.
The northernmost segment of Future I-26 should be shown as Existing I-26.

jwolfer

Quote from: LM117 on February 10, 2018, 05:53:06 AM
I-74 wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for that crooked ass turn to South Carolina. Anybody coming from Rockingham and points west or north would use I-73 to go to Myrtle Beach.

Another thing that stands out in that map is that it confirms what many of us suspected about I-285. It was originally supposed to end at I-40 just south of Winston-Salem, but once it was decided that I-74 become part of the W-S Northern Beltway, there were suspicions that I-285 would be extended north of I-40 through downtown W-S to the beltway.

Of all the future interstates, I-795 and I-42 are the most important right now, IMO. They're both major trucking corridors connected to ports, serve as hurricane evacuation routes, as well as carrying tourist traffic and neither corridor has to rely on cooperation from states like Virginia that have zero interest in new interstates or South Carolina, who wants the feds to pay for everything...
42 is at least more or less direct route.. 87 is circuitous

Z981

Roadsguy

The map also doesn't show Future I-295 around Fayetteville; it just shows Business 95. It doesn't show all of I-140 either.

EDIT: Aren't they also planning on an I-885 for the East End Connector in Durham?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

Quote from: Roadsguy on February 10, 2018, 11:31:10 AMEDIT: Aren't they also planning on an I-885 for the East End Connector in Durham?

Yes, but NCDOT hasn't submitted a request to AASHTO or FHWA yet. However, I would be shocked if the request gets denied.

LM117

Speed enforcement will be picking up in Cleveland, Harnett, Johnston, Sampson, and Randolph counties until June.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14835

Also, the Alligator River bridge on US-64 will be closed for a week in March for renovation work.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14831

wdcrft63

This is the signage, as of May 2017, at the WB I-40/85 split east of Greensboro. Too early for I-785 to be mentioned, but that's not my question. My question is, why does the sign over the I-85 lanes say "to NORTH I-73" instead of "to South I-73" or, better, simply "TO I-73"?

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 10, 2018, 06:57:22 PM
This is the signage, as of May 2017, at the WB I-40/85 split east of Greensboro. Too early for I-785 to be mentioned, but that's not my question. My question is, why does the sign over the I-85 lanes say "to NORTH I-73" instead of "to South I-73" or, better, simply "TO I-73"?
Forgot the link: https://goo.gl/maps/xm7iD6FKam42

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 10, 2018, 06:58:20 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 10, 2018, 06:57:22 PM
Forgot the link: https://goo.gl/maps/xm7iD6FKam42

No idea. It had to be either: an error by NCDOT, or they put it up there to "show" if you want to bypass Greensboro by using the Loop, going south on I-85 and then north on I-73 makes sense, however the directions for all thru traffic to bypass Greensboro were very horrible back then (before they upgraded the signages).

Mppheel

I read on this forum that when the Greensboro loop is finished and properly signed that Green 85 will disappear.  That makes sense  coming from the east. When approaching the  from the south on I-85, will Green 85 disappear from the Lexington area to Death Valley also?  I'm assuming so. Couldn't Green 85 be made a 3di traveling from the south from where I-85 joins the Loop to I-40 at Death Valley?  I assume it's up to interstate standards... Could be 685?
It may be a bit of Interstate overkill for the Triad though.

Strider

Quote from: Mppheel on February 12, 2018, 08:00:50 PM
I read on this forum that when the Greensboro loop is finished and properly signed that Green 85 will disappear.  That makes sense  coming from the east. When approaching the  from the south on I-85, will Green 85 disappear from the Lexington area to Death Valley also?  I'm assuming so. Couldn't Green 85 be made a 3di traveling from the south from where I-85 joins the Loop to I-40 at Death Valley?  I assume it's up to interstate standards... Could be 685?
It may be a bit of Interstate overkill for the Triad though.

No, they will only remove the Green 85 routing through Greensboro (making it only US 29/70 going towards I-40 merge). The one that goes through High Point, Thomasville and Lexington (also along US 29/70) will remain Green 85... unless they changed their mind because the southernmost routing of Green 85 that multiplex with US 29/70/52 will be renamed I-285 in the future, so who knows.

wriddle082

Quote from: dfilpus on February 10, 2018, 10:00:38 AM

Other errors in map:
The Winston-Salem North Beltway is not shown at all. Future I-74 should be routed over the Beltway on the east side and Future I-274 on the west side.
The northernmost segment of Future I-26 should be shown as Existing I-26.

They also forgot the future interstate designation for US 74 from I-26 at Columbus to I-85 at Kings Mountain.  Was that supposed to be 885 or 226?  Or has that one even been approved by the feds yet, or given a number?

Jmiles32

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 12, 2018, 09:06:49 PM
They also forgot the future interstate designation for US 74 from I-26 at Columbus to I-85 at Kings Mountain.  Was that supposed to be 885 or 226?  Or has that one even been approved by the feds yet, or given a number?

Surprisingly NCDOT hasn't applied the corridor to AASHTO for a future interstate designation yet. However, when this does inevitably happen, it will likely be an I-x26.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sparker

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 12, 2018, 09:24:35 PM

Surprisingly NCDOT hasn't applied the corridor to AASHTO for a future interstate designation yet. However, when this does inevitably happen, it will likely be an I-x26.

I still think NCDOT, as per their recent practice, will "shoot for the moon" here and go for a 2di in conjunction with the Charlotte-Rockingham efforts (aka the "Monroe Bypass" tolled facility).  And if they ask for an odd number, someone needs to go to Raleigh and kick some collective ass!

LM117

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 12, 2018, 09:24:35 PM

I agree. They're probably waiting until the Shelby Bypass is complete.

Also, it will definitely not be I-885. NCDOT is saving that number for NC-147/East End Connector in Durham.

As for I-685, this is speculation on my part, but I strongly suspect NCDOT is saving that number for US-1 between I-540 and I-85 in Henderson. There are long-term plans to upgrade that stretch to a freeway, though it's only funded as far as Wake Forest. The idea of giving north Raleigh a northerly interstate connection to I-85 would be too much for them to pass up, IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.