AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)  (Read 146356 times)

TheStranger

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:40 AM
Re: Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 05:27:49 PM »

At the risk of dividing neighborhoods, more property acquisition will have to be undertaken first, and I see a long fight between residents and the city.

Same here.

I don't see how the city is going to plop a 6-lane freeway through an established neighborhood without a ton of legal challenges from the residents.  It's also going to impact a number of businesses located on the north side of California Ave including a medial center, office complexes and retail shops.

What's interesting is that this routing was chosen over a route through the rail yard that would have avoided most of the businesses (Alternative C) because of impacts the eastbound Route 58 ramp to 99 south would have had on Saunders Park:
http://dot.ca.gov/dist6/environmental/projects/centennial/docs/maps/final_alt_c_full_exhibit.pdf
http://dot.ca.gov/dist6/pressrelease/2012/ma_centennial_corridor_111512.pdf
Chris Sampang

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

Independent of considerations about choosing which properties would be taken by eminent domain, it would be best to fully utilize the existing interchange connecting 58 to 99 and to not have 58 utilizing 99's right of way to make the connection from the W Pkwy to existing 58.

Do any of the alternatives provide a direct connection from 58E to 99N (and 99S to 58 W)?  How do they propose people make this connection?  At the very least, there should be an off-ramp from 99S to Truxton (and an on-ramp to 99N).

Concrete Bob

• Roadgeek since 1966 - When Caltrans moved traffic

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:16:21 PM
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »

Under the chosen alternative, there won't be a EB 58 to NB 99 ramp or a SB 99 to WB 58 ramp added to the existing interchange due to projected traffic counts:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16140.0

And, if Caltrans added ramps at Truxton and 99 to accomdate the missing 58/99 ramps, I think the ramps would be too close to the off ramps at the Rosedale Highway/178 interchange. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:50:52 PM by Concrete Bob »

Henry

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »

Independent of considerations about choosing which properties would be taken by eminent domain, it would be best to fully utilize the existing interchange connecting 58 to 99 and to not have 58 utilizing 99's right of way to make the connection from the W Pkwy to existing 58.
Agreed on that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ACSCmapcollector

• Last Login: May 25, 2019, 08:53:06 PM

Cenntential Corridor for California State Route 58, Westside Parkway/Stockdale Hwy. ?

Does anyone know about the lawsuits and litigations of having the Cenntenial Corridor for California for the transfer of California State Route 58 to the Bakersfield-Barstow Highway?

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist6/environmental/projects/centennial/

http://www.bakersfieldcity.us/gov/depts/public_works/bakersfield_freeways/centennial_corridor.htm

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

coatimundi

• Last Login: April 17, 2020, 12:42:35 AM

The "Bakersfield-Barstow Highway" is already CA 58.
There is some pending legal action on the part of local Bakersfield residents who are in the path of the connector between the existing Westside Parkway and the existing end of CA 58. I believe the details of this are - again - in another, existing thread on this forum.

Centennial Corridor thread (started July 2016) merged with existing Westside Parkway thread. Threads renamed. –Roadfro
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:24:43 AM by roadfro »

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:17 PM »

I was looking at Bakersfield on OpenStreetMap and I noticed that a freeway connecting the Westside Parkway with the CA 58/ CA 99 interchange was shown as under construction. Any info on this? Is it actually under construction? I'd be surprised if it even was, since it goes straight through a residential area. The only conceivable way of it being built would be as a tunnel.

The last I heard, the route shown on the map was still in the planning stages, no construction has yet begun -- there remains some controversy about the plans.  AFAIK, if & when the route is fully approved, the properties in the path of the proposed freeway will be acquired by eminent domain; it will be a surface or raised facility.  If anyone local and/or with more info has any further updates on this, please chime in! 

Mod Note: This post split out from the general "California" thread. –Roadfro.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:48:22 AM by roadfro »

coatimundi

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2016, 09:30:56 PM »

I was looking at Bakersfield on OpenStreetMap and I noticed that a freeway connecting the Westside Parkway with the CA 58/ CA 99 interchange was shown as under construction. Any info on this? Is it actually under construction? I'd be surprised if it even was, since it goes straight through a residential area. The only conceivable way of it being built would be as a tunnel.

It's referred to as the Centennial Corridor: http://dot.ca.gov/dist6/environmental/projects/centennial/ & http://www.bakersfieldcity.us/gov/depts/public_works/bakersfield_freeways/centennial_corridor.htm

Others closer may know better, but I believe they're currently demolishing the homes that stand in its way, and that may take a while. But everything is approved and it has a very high chance of being built within the next couple of years.

compdude787

• Last Login: March 05, 2024, 09:47:57 PM
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »

Hmm, wow, cool. If it actually gets built on the proposed alignment, that would be pretty impressive.

coatimundi

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2016, 10:00:20 PM »

Hmm, wow, cool. If it actually gets built on the proposed alignment, that would be pretty impressive.

OpenStreetMap shows the project realigning the existing 58 WB to 99 SB ramp by going through an existing medical office building. I don't believe that part of it is happening. In fact, Caltrans changed one of the new ramp locations so that there would be less impact on that building.

coatimundi

« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2016, 04:23:36 PM »

I know the docs say that the 58 designation will be moved once the freeway opens, but I think it'll be interesting to see that transition. Obviously they're going to have to "green out" the 58 shield on the BGS for Rosedale Highway at the same time they take the cover off of the one for Westside Parkway. I mean, when was the last time there was a transition like that?

Personally I've been taking Westside Parkway out of Bakersfield since it opened. Rosedale Highway is just such a slog and the parkway doesn't really ever seem to have much traffic on it.

TheStranger

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:40 AM
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »

I know the docs say that the 58 designation will be moved once the freeway opens, but I think it'll be interesting to see that transition. Obviously they're going to have to "green out" the 58 shield on the BGS for Rosedale Highway at the same time they take the cover off of the one for Westside Parkway. I mean, when was the last time there was a transition like that?

Route 4 being moved off of the old surface routing in Brentwood to the long-planned bypass alignment south of Antioch might be a recent example of this.  (for a while, the new route was simply signed as "Bypass Route" while 4 was still on the older surface streets for a year or two)

I wonder how the US 101 move to the bypass in Willits is being handled too, in that vein.
Chris Sampang

sparker

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »

Personally I've been taking Westside Parkway out of Bakersfield since it opened. Rosedale Highway is just such a slog and the parkway doesn't really ever seem to have much traffic on it.

At least they'll have the CA 178 sign remaining on the Rosedale BGS; I don't see that highway being rerouted away from its present downtown alignment anytime soon (if someone has info to the contrary, please speak up). 

jrouse

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 08:42:28 PM
Westside Parkway & Centennial Corridor (CA 58 realignment, Bakersfield)
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2016, 12:40:40 AM »

I wonder how the US 101 move to the bypass in Willits is being handled too, in that vein.

Doubtful.  The reason why the Route 4 Bypass was signed the way that it was is because it was not a state highway when it was built; it was a local road that was eventually adopted into the state system.  The Willits Bypass was planned as a state highway from the beginning.  The old alignment of 101 through Willits will become part of CA-20 south of the point where it comes in from Fort Bragg, and the portion north of CA-20 is supposed to be relinquished to the city.

iPhone
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:43:28 AM by jrouse »

jeffe

• Last Login: December 10, 2023, 02:19:19 AM
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 02:05:43 AM »

Others closer may know better, but I believe they're currently demolishing the homes that stand in its way, and that may take a while. But everything is approved and it has a very high chance of being built within the next couple of years.

The shopping center where CA-58 currently ends in a T-intersection with South Real Road is currently being demolished:

Demolition started on Monday [28 November 2016] of a central Bakersfield shopping center in order to make room for the controversial Centennial Corridor Project.

The Wild West Shopping Center off of Stockdale Highway and Real Road is being demolished this week, and it should be completed by the end of the year, if not sooner.

Earlier this month, opponents of the Centennial Corridor project went to court to try and prevent demolition of homes which were acquired by the city and were in the way of the proposed route.

But Judge Kenneth Twissleman denied a preliminary injunction on any demolition.

The Centennial project would connect the Westside Parkway to the eastern end of Highway 58.
Source: http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/demolition-of-the-wild-west-shoping-center-continues-for-centennial-corridor-project

BakoCondors

• Last Login: February 05, 2023, 02:13:32 PM
    • www.bakocondors.com/
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »

I took a drive through that area today. The shopping center is gone, as are a large swath of homes and businesses between Stockdale Hwy and California Ave through the Westpark neighborhood that will make up the Corridor's footprint. There is also substantial work going on along the existing 58 freeway east of the 99, widening the 58's footprint and earth moving for the new ramps to connect the Corridor to Hwy 99. It was both exciting, from a roadgeek point of view, and humbling, from a human POV.

BakoCondors

• Last Login: February 05, 2023, 02:13:32 PM
    • www.bakocondors.com/
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »

At least they'll have the CA 178 sign remaining on the Rosedale BGS; I don't see that highway being rerouted away from its present downtown alignment anytime soon (if someone has info to the contrary, please speak up).

New signage went up on NB 99 last March that eliminated the 178 shield from the BGS at Rosedale/24th. CalTrans relinquished the portion of 178 between M Street and the 99 back in 2011, though there is still signage on both 23rd & 24th Streets linking to the 178 Crosstown Fwy.

sparker

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2017, 12:03:54 AM »

New signage went up on NB 99 last March that eliminated the 178 shield from the BGS at Rosedale/24th. CalTrans relinquished the portion of 178 between M Street and the 99 back in 2011, though there is still signage on both 23rd & 24th Streets linking to the 178 Crosstown Fwy.

So does that leave CA 178 hanging in downtown -- or is a reroute (perhaps along CA 204/Biz 99 north to CA 99) in the works?  I can't see Caltrans not indicating access to the 178 freeway from somewhere along either CA 99 or CA 58 -- and CA 204 is one of the more useless routes in the state system.  Again, more info, please! :confused:

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:57 AM »

Technically the part between 99 and the Kern River is still 178. And "the City of Bakersfield shall install and maintain within its jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 178". Fuck Caltrans.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »

As stated above there is still signage on 23rd and 24th.  The signage that is in place is actually quite good even with the one-way split in 178.  Things are still far better than on the surface route in regards to directing motorists than other urban areas that have reliquished state highways with signage continuation agreements....I'm looking your way San Jose with CA 130.

I'm going to disagree on 204 being completely useless.  That is a handy little connector to get from the 178 freeway up to 99 bypassing downtown if you are heading north especially....then again it might not be the worst thing ever if it was absorbed into 178. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:16:59 AM by Max Rockatansky »

sparker

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »

As stated above there is still signage on 23rd and 24th.  The signage that is in place is actually quite good even with the one-way split in 178.  Things are still far better than on the surface route in regards to directing motorists than other urban areas that have reliquished state highways with signage continuation agreements....I'm looking your way San Jose with CA 130.

Yeah, 130 signage has sucked for some time now.  The BGS's on US 101 indicating CA 130 on Alum Rock are still intact (although there never has been a similar indication from the I-680/Alum Rock interchange to the east).  It seems as if there is an ad hoc if unofficial policy within the City of San Jose to not expedite through traffic within city limits -- and state signage on city streets may be construed within planning circles as doing just that, so enforcement of post-relinquishment signage agreements isn't going to fall to the city -- and Caltrans certainly isn't going to go out of their way to post signage on roadways they don't maintain.  So the notion of signed continuous routes may be given lip service at best, but follow-through in the field doesn't seem to consistently exist.  And it's probable that San Jose isn't the only CA city to discourage pass-through traffic on surface facilities.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »

Yeah, 130 signage has sucked for some time now.  The BGS's on US 101 indicating CA 130 on Alum Rock are still intact (although there never has been a similar indication from the I-680/Alum Rock interchange to the east).  It seems as if there is an ad hoc if unofficial policy within the City of San Jose to not expedite through traffic within city limits -- and state signage on city streets may be construed within planning circles as doing just that, so enforcement of post-relinquishment signage agreements isn't going to fall to the city -- and Caltrans certainly isn't going to go out of their way to post signage on roadways they don't maintain.  So the notion of signed continuous routes may be given lip service at best, but follow-through in the field doesn't seem to consistently exist.  And it's probable that San Jose isn't the only CA city to discourage pass-through traffic on surface facilities.

Oh no doubt there is issues with many urban routes.  One that I used to encounter daily was CA 66 which was still somewhat signed albeit poorly up until a couple years back.  The Los Angeles area in general is pretty bad at surface route signage, relinquished or not just in general.  I guess it really just goes back to whatever DOT you're dealing with; be it Caltrans district or something more localized.  Hell Tulare County doesn't even seem to sign County Routes anymore and apparently never sent a memo to anyone that they are basically defunct. 

In regards to CA 130 it certainly seems that the route in general is a problem for the city.  Heading up Mount Hamilton Road there are signs warning you not to pretty much everything under the sun....especially "no parking x miles."  My assumption is that 130 has many a story to tell of locals getting out of control or tourists doing something stupid.  For what its worth though compared to other mountain routes in the state 130 is one of the more tame with the low elevation and mild grade....so score one for the skill level of the average driver? 

coatimundi

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 01:00:43 PM »

I took a drive through that area today. The shopping center is gone, as are a large swath of homes and businesses between Stockdale Hwy and California Ave through the Westpark neighborhood that will make up the Corridor's footprint. There is also substantial work going on along the existing 58 freeway east of the 99, widening the 58's footprint and earth moving for the new ramps to connect the Corridor to Hwy 99. It was both exciting, from a roadgeek point of view, and humbling, from a human POV.

These things are so often delayed, that I'm surprised they acted that quickly on it.

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »

They had the money in place, and when the finally got permission they acted fast before someone changed their mind again...

sparker

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »

These things are so often delayed, that I'm surprised they acted that quickly on it.
They had the money in place, and when the finally got permission they acted fast before someone changed their mind again...

Quick reflexes, so to speak, by the jurisdictions tasked with undertaking a project of this sort, will likely become an integral part of the developmental arsenal -- fend off the gadflies before they swarm again by simply having your job well under way (the old fait accompli methodology, updated to suit the times). 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.