News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Does google maps just toss out data problem reports or what? I've reported several streets near me multiple times for incorrect one-way information that would be easy to verify on satellite imagery or street view and nothing ever gets changed. Who reviews this stuff?

ipeters61

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on January 10, 2019, 04:45:59 PM
Does google maps just toss out data problem reports or what? I've reported several streets near me multiple times for incorrect one-way information that would be easy to verify on satellite imagery or street view and nothing ever gets changed. Who reviews this stuff?
I had them rename one of the streets in Dover without issue but then they didn't fix the street that I actually live on when I reported that.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

I've had pretty good luck with them accepting my suggestions with roads, but they aren't having one of my point of interest suggestions. A Love's truck stop in Fife, WA has been demolished, and is being rebuilt. To not confuse anyone, I reported the truck stop as closed. But Google continues to show it as open. I'm not sure what their policy is on "temporarily closed" POI's, but it continues to be shown as operating on Google Maps.

Roadsguy

Sometimes my reports get accepted, other times they get ignored and I get no indication of any decision. Most recently, they drew the Sellersville Bypass on PA 309 as a freeway after years of it not being shown as such.

What's really annoying now is that it seems to no longer be possible to select several segments. They always had a weird arbitrary cap on the number of segments you could select (which is annoying in denser places since they break up the roads into many segments), but now it's the entire road or just one segment.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

DandyDan

So how is Google Maps can accurately change over MN 110 to MN 62, but they can't change over the oodles of old Iowa highways which are now county roads?
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: DandyDan on January 23, 2019, 03:54:10 PM
So how is Google Maps can accurately change over MN 110 to MN 62, but they can't change over the oodles of old Iowa highways which are now county roads?

One's a much higher profile change? I dunno, but I kind of like being able to see the old Iowa highways still labeled. Helps me see where they were.

ipeters61

Not a complaint, but it looks like Google has changed how they denote municipal boundaries.  They're starting to dim out the surrounding areas, anything closer than zoom level 16 will cause the dimming to fade, anything closer than 17 will cause the boundaries to fade.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on January 24, 2019, 06:18:01 PM
Not a complaint, but it looks like Google has changed how they denote municipal boundaries.  They're starting to dim out the surrounding areas, anything closer than zoom level 16 will cause the dimming to fade, anything closer than 17 will cause the boundaries to fade.

It works on mobile now, too, so definitely an improvement.

Meanwhile, they still haven't updated the northernmost segment of I-73 finished in NC (along US 220) after several months. They also find rather creative ways to mess up when implementing suggestions I make to mark major roads in yellow.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

doorknob60

I like this change for the most part, except for cities with large land area, it starts dimming it way too soon so it's hard to see the exactly where the boundary is at times. For an extreme example try Chesapeake, VA. But any larger city will have the same problem. Portland was pretty bad, even Boise bothered me. But for small and medium sized cities, it works out much better (for example Meridian, ID is fine).

Ben114

I do know that they don't have boundaries for Machester-by-thd-Sea, Mass., but the town's ZIP code, 01944, does have boundaries.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Ben114 on January 25, 2019, 04:50:12 PM
I do know that they don't have boundaries for Machester-by-thd-Sea, Mass., but the town's ZIP code, 01944, does have boundaries.

1. Towns, as they exist in New England, probably don't register in Google Maps as proper incorporated places. Same goes for townships in the Midwest.
2. Zip codes often have little to do with actual incorporated boundaries.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 25, 2019, 10:16:00 PM

1. Towns, as they exist in New England, probably don't register in Google Maps as proper incorporated places. Same goes for townships in the Midwest.

Other towns work just fine.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

Whether a municipality works or not seems to be somewhat random.  Greece, NY is notable for actually having boundaries that are wrong, only covering a small portion of the town.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on January 26, 2019, 10:06:20 PM
Whether a municipality works or not seems to be somewhat random.  Greece, NY is notable for actually having boundaries that are wrong, only covering a small portion of the town.

This, maybe?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

vdeane

Possibly.  That is roughly the center of where the border is.  The border Google has looks like what a Village of Greece would look like, if it had a central village like Pittsford, Penfield, and Webster do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MNHighwayMan

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of city boundaries are also out of date. I know Des Moines is, for example: the area on the south side, between Easter Lake and US-65 was annexed in 2009.

US71

I was looking for some old bridges in Oklahoma today and Google maps showed one continuous road as opposed to 3 separate sections. They may have connected at one time, but not for many years .
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

polarscribe

Two entire ranger districts of the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest don't show up in green – the Whitman and La Grande districts. Compare https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5974292,-117.6645387,8.83z to the same area in Bing, Apple Maps, MapQuest, literally anyone else. I've attempted to report the issue numerous times but gotten nowhere.

Eth

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 26, 2019, 10:32:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of city boundaries are also out of date. I know Des Moines is, for example: the area on the south side, between Easter Lake and US-65 was annexed in 2009.

Likewise, it doesn't include Atlanta's annexation of Emory University (somewhat more excusable, as it was just last year). Then again, OSM doesn't have that one either.

US 89

Hell, there are two county line changes in the past few years in Utah that Google doesn't have: a slight change in the Davis/Salt Lake border east of I-15, and a realignment of the Juab/Millard border off a ridgeline onto the nearest section line. OSM has the Davis/Salt Lake change, but not the Juab/Millard one.

jp the roadgeek

I have sent about 20 requests to Google Maps to change the route markings for CT 31 north of US 44, and it continues to be rejected.  It is marked correctly south of 44 with the ovular state shield.  But along and north of the concurrency, it is marked as a county route (small square shield).  Despite telling them to look at GSV and see that the shields are exactly the same on both stretches of the road, and the fact that CT does not have county routes, they refuse to make the change.  I've got them to correct the name of a street in my town, but they can't do anything for a numbered route? :angry:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ipeters61

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 17, 2019, 01:29:20 AM
I have sent about 20 requests to Google Maps to change the route markings for CT 31 north of US 44, and it continues to be rejected.  It is marked correctly south of 44 with the ovular state shield.  But along and north of the concurrency, it is marked as a county route (small square shield).  Despite telling them to look at GSV and see that the shields are exactly the same on both stretches of the road, and the fact that CT does not have county routes, they refuse to make the change.  I've got them to correct the name of a street in my town, but they can't do anything for a numbered route? :angry:
There's the same problem with portions of DE-15, I believe, where it's marked as a county road.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Flint1979

Well looking at the maps and traveling in a certain area things sometimes don't add up the way you think. I was looking at Google Maps in Midland County, Michigan. Looking at Gordonville Road you would think that it went all the way through between Meridian Road and Coleman Road according to Google Maps that is. However between Castor Road and Almando Road the road doesn't exist. I don't really want to take a drive out there this time of the year since it's a dirt road and we have several inches of snow on the ground but I don't think Gordonville even goes east of Almando until it picks up again at Castor. That area is very wooded so it's hard to tell and I haven't been back that way in years.

Rothman

I actually just notified them of all sorts of imaginary roads near the new Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument in Maine.  A five-year old probably got the vector set out there together, scribbling with crayon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quote from: bm7 on December 27, 2018, 06:33:28 PM
The user-submitted 360 images are starting to really irritate me. It seems that when going into street view, Google Maps prioritizes them over normal street view imagery which means it often takes multiple attempts to get into street view in areas where people have submitted pictures. Or even worse, when people tried to make their own 'street view' with their awful phone camera, which means entire roads are overlapping with user images.
This has been driving me crazy for probably years now.

And as for the more-current discussion about municipal boundaries, they still don't have anything about Fox Crossing, WI (incorporated in 2016 from the former Menasha Twp) anywhere.

Edit: That would be kind of a grave dig, wouldn't it?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.