AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Carson City Freeway progress, Summer 2014 w/Summer 2016 update  (Read 25783 times)

gonealookin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:41:16 PM

Phase 2B-2 of the Carson City Freeway project was completed earlier this summer.  That phase consisted of grading, drainage improvements and construction of the Snyder Avenue overcrossing in the area just east of the south junction of US 395 and US 50.

Here's a view of the project area.  The cars at lower right are coming down US 50 from Lake Tahoe and joining US 395 at that signal.

(Edit:  Image posted on Photobucket deleted)

Standing in the future median, more or less, and looking east toward the Snyder Avenue bridge.

Looking west from near the bridge, you can see the mound which will become the approach to the overcrossing of US 395 and the adjacent off-ramp.  That overcrossing will be constructed in Phase 2B-4.  At the completion of Phase 2B-3, all traffic will be diverted off the freeway to that off-ramp, and drivers heading up to Lake Tahoe will still have to pass through a signal to get to the Spooner Grade portion of US 50.

The facing of the bridge has a Native American motif as a nod to the Stewart Indian Community which is just to the southeast.  Apparently "USEWE? WAT'A" is an approximation of "Snyder Avenue" in the Washo language.

Nothing has happened for three years or so on the segment more to the northeast, paralleling South Edmonds Drive.  The bridges and drainage facilities over there were constructed a few years ago.  That section of the freeway, which runs through a semirural residential area, will run below grade.  There were some pretty decent mudflows off that nearby hill to the east in a recent severe thunderstorm; I hope their drainage work can handle those events.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:01:04 PM by gonealookin »

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
Re: Carson City Freeway progress, Summer 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »

What year will all of I-580 be completed? 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

gonealookin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »

The remaining construction work is supposed to start roughly spring of 2015 with opening of the freeway expected in early 2017.  That doesn't include construction of the SPUI at the south junction of US 50 and US 395, which has been broken off into a separate phase...and once the roadway is open and traffic is bypassing the streets of Carson City, I don't know where the SPUI will rank on the list of funding priorities.  So the freeway will just end at a four-way grade level intersection for some indefinite period.

Right now the I-580 signage ends at the junction of US 50 East (so no signage between there and the present south end of the freeway at Fairview Drive).  Upon completion of this next segment, the I-580 signage will be extended along the entire route to that junction at the bottom of Spooner Grade.  As for the future...Douglas County would love to see US 395 upgraded to full freeway all the way down to Minden, another 15 miles or so.  Optimistically, that's probably a project for the 2025-2030 time frame.

nexus73

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »

Thanks for the reply Gone!  It would be sweet to see all of 395/I-580 be freeway/expressway from California to Reno some day.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »

Gonealookin, thanks for posting these pics. I haven't been down that way for a while and haven't read any updates on the progress. I am glad they split the final 2B phase into several subphases in order to keep the overall project moving forward...with the way NDOT had been pushing phase 2B back before splitting into subprojects, I'm not sure they would have ever built this. Even with the final bridge connection to US 50 west missing, the essential bypass function will be completed with the next construction phase (2B-3).

Haven't heard much chatter about extending freeway down US 395 south of Carson City. Although at one point, I recall a mention of a potential flyover ramp at Spooner Junction (US 50/395 southern intersection) for traffic staying on US 395 south that would bypass the signal at the SPUI (although this would have been constructed much later after completion of the bypass). This concept would seem to support potential southern freeway expansion, but there would be some obstacles in dealing with access to all the commercial properties that are adjacent to US 395 just to the south of Carson City line. Beyond that, US 395 is divided highway most the way into Minden and could easily support freeway conversion if traffic volumes warranted. Freeway beyond Minden/Gardnerville into California is pretty unlikely though, as it is currently two lane and has some challenging terrain that would make widening difficult.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »

Public meeting tonight (Sept. 17) on the next phase of this project, which will complete the freeway to the south 50/395 junction but only at a signalized intersection for now.

Here's the Nevada DOT info packet (pdf), with drawings, timelines, etc.:
http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Public_Involvement/Meetings/Documents/CCFreewayPhase2B_3_PublicInfoMeeting_9_12_2014.pdf

gonealookin

Re: Carson City Freeway progress, 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »

The apparent winning bid for construction of the remaining 4-mile stretch of freeway to Spooner Junction at the south end of Carson City (Project Phase 2B-3) is $42 million.  Construction should start in June with opening of the freeway slated for roughly spring of 2017.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/15903585-113/carson-city-freeway-bids-back-for-final-phase

The construction of the interchange at that south junction of US 50 and US 395 "is expected to advertise for construction in the mid to late 2020's", according to Nevada DOT's web page on the project...so talk about being pushed on to the back burner.

nexus73

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »

Thanks for the update Gone!  Bummer on the decade-plus wait to put the final piece in place though.

Rick

roadfro

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »

At least the full bypass route will be done in a couple years though. The final piece (scheduled for the distant future) is just converting the southern US 50/395 intersection from what will be an intersection in the current project into a SPUI.

Having a temporary intersection at the south end is a small price to pay for having a freeway grade facility that removes about 6-7 signals from the current surface street temporary alignment. This phase will shave even more time off of the Reno—South Lake Tahoe drive through Carson City, which is most important in the grand scheme of through-traffic movement and allows Carson City to start making other improvements to Carson Street in downtown.

It's worth noting that if Carson City hadn't agreed to take over most of the former NDOT state routes in the city and help raise revenue through a city gas tax increase, the little interim projects in Phase 2B (utility/drainage work, the few bridges previously built along the alignment, etc.) probably wouldn't have kept moving forward and we'd probably be even further out from having this project get done.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

gonealookin

Re: Carson City Freeway progress, Summer 2014 w/Summer 2016 update
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »

I'll update this old post to keep my construction photos in one thread.  Work is progressing nicely and it looks like an opening in the first part of 2017 is reasonable.  Here are a few of my July 2016 pictures:

The first two show the area of the south junction of US 50 and US 395.  You can see that there will be a direct ramp from northbound US 395, merging onto the freeway near the Snyder Avenue overpass, so traffic coming from Minden/Carson Valley won't have to go all the way to the signal at the end of the freeway.

This is at the southeast corner of the project where the freeway makes its 90-degree turn to complete its route around Carson City.  The next few photos give you an idea how much dirt had to be moved to put the roadway below grade on the east side of town; that seemed to take forever.

The major area of work this week appeared to be at the north end, where they are still adding riprap on the section south of Fairview Drive.  This shot is fairly distant, from the Koontz Lane overpass, and doesn't depict very well how busy the work around there is.

Here's a recent blog entry (not mine) which has more photos:

http://aroundcarson.com/2016/06/09/carson_city_freeway_construction-6/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:57:32 PM by gonealookin »

roadfro

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:11:09 AM »

Thanks for posting these pic updates! I haven't had a chance to go down to Carson lately to see the progress.

The first two show the area of the south junction of US 50 and US 395.  You can see that there will be a direct ramp from northbound US 395, merging onto the freeway near the Snyder Avenue overpass, so traffic coming from Minden/Carson Valley won't have to go all the way to the signal at the end of the freeway.

From previous construction drawings I've seen, this ramp is part of the final configuration for the planned SPUI interchange that will be constructed in future Phase 2B-4. This direct NB US 395 > I-580 North ramp will be separate from the SB Carson St > I-580 North ramp that will be put in with the SPUI.

gonealookin

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:41:32 PM »

The first layers of asphalt are going down now, but there are still soundwalls and, especially, the realignment of the south junction of 50 and 395 at the end of the freeway, needing to be completed.  The latest article in the Carson City newspaper implies opening of this final 4-mile stretch of I-580 in late spring or early summer of 2017.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/23671414-113/carson-city-freeway-project-crosses-halfway-point#

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 05:33:35 AM »

Question to those in the know:  Given the growth of the Gardnerville/Minden area south of Carson City along US 395, are there any NV DOT plans -- even long-range in nature -- for any new-alignment facility (freeway and/or expressway) connecting Carson City and I-580 with the areas to the south (as opposed to incremental "improvements" of the existing facility)?  And if so, where would be the connection point to the currently under-construction route?  Obviously the deployment of the planned SPUI at the 50/395 junction -- which positions US 50 as the principal through route -- is intended to facilitate a stream of traffic from Lake Tahoe to Carson City and on to Reno (the main "recreational" regional corridor) with southward US 395 points as effectively "secondary" destinations/traffic generators.  Essentially what I'm asking is if NV DOT intends the emphasis on the recreational corridor to be a permanent regional priority or if the growth to the south will prompt similar planning efforts to serve that area as well -- or even if they have projected a level of growth that would be sufficient to warrant enhanced facilities.   

gonealookin

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »

The most recent major study on improvements to the US 395 corridor from Carson City down to Minden and Gardnerville was done in 2007.  Go to this page and download the "2007 US 395 Southern Sierra Corridor Study" which is a 90-page PDF.

https://www.nevadadot.com/Content.aspx?id=1377

The most direct answer to sparker's question is on pages 54-59 of the PDF (pages 40-45 of the document).  Generally it anticipates a possible need by 2030 for US 395 to be upgraded to full freeway on down to the northern end of Minden, and there would be a direct freeway-to-freeway connection from what's being built now to that new US 395 freeway.  This is why I don't think the final phase of the current Carson City Bypass Freeway project, construction of the SPUI at the end of the freeway, will ever be built (its status right now is "indefinitely delayed").  I believe that will remain as an at-grade signalized intersection until such time as the southbound US 395 freeway upgrade is seriously considered for construction, at which time that will be redesigned as an interchange connecting the US 395 through freeway with US 50 leading up to Tahoe and South Carson Street heading back north into Carson City; i.e. I think it will eventually look like "Figure 5.5 U.S. 395 Scenario B".

Note that the alternatives also include an east-side bypass of the Carson Valley, connecting to the now under construction freeway at the southeast corner of Carson City near the State Prison and at its south end to US 395 just south of Gardnerville.  There is no anticipation of any improvements to US 395 from Gardnerville to the CA state line except for maybe some added truck lanes.  Both the US 395 freeway upgrade and the east-side bypass are also shown in Douglas County's General Plan documents.

That NDOT study is nearly 10 years old and predated the Great Recession, but we're seeing a resumption of growth in the Minden/Gardnerville area so I think the general concept will eventually be implemented with timing depending mostly on funding.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:52:52 PM by gonealookin »

sparker

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »

Note that the alternatives also include an east-side bypass of the Carson Valley, connecting to the now under construction freeway at the southeast corner of Carson City near the State Prison and at its south end to US 395 just south of Gardnerville.  There is no anticipation of any improvements to US 395 from Gardnerville to the CA state line except for maybe some added truck lanes.  Both the US 395 freeway upgrade and the east-side bypass are also shown in Douglas County's General Plan documents.

That NDOT study is nearly 10 years old and predated the Great Recession, but we're seeing a resumption of growth in the Minden/Gardnerville area so I think the general concept will eventually be implemented with timing depending mostly on funding.
Thanks for the research and the document cite!  It makes sense that facility improvements plans would, for the time being, only extend down to the Gardnerville area; a sizeable portion of US 395 traffic diverges onto NV/CA 88 in order to reach central CA without having to slog through Tahoe and US 50 traffic.  It's been my experience that US 395 traffic south of Gardnerville is relatively sparse (although with a seemingly high proportion of trucks). 

gonealookin

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 11:46:01 PM »

To update status of this project:

Major realignment work of the intersection of US 50/US 395/South Carson Street at the end of the freeway has been underway for a while and will continue into May.

This article indicates that the freeway will open "in late summer".  That matches up with everything I have read on the project recently.  Earlier reports had the freeway opening in late spring or early summer, but I guess there have been some delays including those due to the unusually wet winter.

The gantries and overhead BGS at that south end of the freeway went up a couple weeks ago.  Some of the signs are visible, some are covered up, depending on whether they relate to the freeway or the current three-way intersection configuration.  The exposed signs just have US 50 and US 395 shields and do not have I-580 shields since the I-580 designation currently ends at US 50 East (East William Street) a few miles north; they leave a blank space for those shields to be added when the freeway opens.

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »

It makes sense that facility improvements plans would, for the time being, only extend down to the Gardnerville area; a sizeable portion of US 395 traffic diverges onto NV/CA 88 in order to reach central CA without having to slog through Tahoe and US 50 traffic.  It's been my experience that US 395 traffic south of Gardnerville is relatively sparse (although with a seemingly high proportion of trucks).

But gawd, is it slow through Minden and Gardnerville.

sparker

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

It makes sense that facility improvements plans would, for the time being, only extend down to the Gardnerville area; a sizeable portion of US 395 traffic diverges onto NV/CA 88 in order to reach central CA without having to slog through Tahoe and US 50 traffic.  It's been my experience that US 395 traffic south of Gardnerville is relatively sparse (although with a seemingly high proportion of trucks).

But gawd, is it slow through Minden and Gardnerville.

It's likely that the only solution would be a bypass of not only Minden and Gardnerville but also of Dresslerville, which has grown to be almost as large as the other two towns.  Where to site such a facility is the question; it would have to be well east or west of existing US 395 to avoid the various housing tracts that have popped up in the past decade or so due to the area's attractiveness to retirees (relatively cheap housing, reasonably clean air, and a climate that, while a bit chilly in wintertime, still is rather benign).  Could be around the west side and paralleling 88 for a while before turning east back to 395 -- but speculation beyond these generalities is a subject for the fictional realm.   

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »

A few photos, taken today. I wasn't planning on this, so apologies for the crappy phonecam.

Westbound approaching the 50/395 junction:

Northbound from the Clearview overpass:

This is where I really needed a real camera. Off in the distance, that's an actual 580 shield along with 395 and 50.

Looking east from the Snyder overpass:

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:28:48 AM by Kniwt »

gonealookin

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

That left arrow on the 50 West sign in the bottom picture bugs me.  There will be a second one added when the intersection is complete because there will be two left turn lanes there (only one for now).  However, it will be 90-degree left turn, whereas that arrow seems to imply a gentler turn as you would have if it were an SPUI.

roadfro

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:05 AM »

That left arrow on the 50 West sign in the bottom picture bugs me.  There will be a second one added when the intersection is complete because there will be two left turn lanes there (only one for now).  However, it will be 90-degree left turn, whereas that arrow seems to imply a gentler turn as you would have if it were an SPUI.

The gantry looks identical to what was in the preliminary Phase 2B plans that were posted on an older version of the Carson City Freeway website, except for several of the arrows being missing/covered. Recall that the original plan was to build a SPUI at the S. Carson St junction instead of the interim intersection that is being constructed now (with plans to convert to SPUI later on when funds become available much later on). So it's possible that this sign structure and arrows are from the original plans and are being installed permanently. (Note also that the I-580 shield isn't placed on the rightmost sign–those plans also show this sign without the I-580 shield but designed to add one later.)

gonealookin

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

We have a tentative opening date (range) for the final stretch of I-580.   :clap:

Crews are putting the final polish on the last stretch of freeway that will complete the Carson Bypass.

Tentative plans are to open for a run-walk and bike tour for area residents July 22. The final stretch won't open to traffic until the first week of August. But once it does, Carson City, after decades of dreaming, will have a freeway bypass all the way from the northern edge of Eagle Valley to Spooner Junction.

roadfro

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »

NDOT Press Release confirming the July 22 fun run/walk/bike event.

The Nevada Department of Transportation is inviting community members to take part in a free fun walk, run and ride celebrating the upcoming opening of the last leg of the Interstate 580 Carson City Freeway.

The new section of freeway is scheduled to open in August. Before it opens to vehicle traffic, community members are invited to walk, bicycle or run the new roadway Saturday, July 22 between 9 a.m. and noon. A brief welcome ceremony featuring NDOT, federal and local representatives will take place at 9 a.m., but participants can arrive any time between 9 and 11:30 a.m. for a self-paced walk, bike or run of the new freeway. ...

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:39 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »

Looks like I'll miss the walk/bike event by a week since I'll be in the area on the 29th.  That would have been cool to run (legally) a brand new freeway. 

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »

Looks like I'll miss the walk/bike event by a week since I'll be in the area on the 29th.  That would have been cool to run (legally) a brand new freeway.

And flaroads is going to miss it by a week as well. He inquired about it and the event includes the entire length of the new section, meaning you could "clinch" it all on foot or bike.

Been working on some needed Nevada page updates on the site, and read that NDOT plans to open the last section of I-580 to traffic during the first week of August.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.