News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: quickshade on November 21, 2015, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: I-39 on November 21, 2015, 10:24:55 AM
There indeed have been some delays, this tribune article states why.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-tollway-jane-addams-contracts-met-20150819-story.html

Since this reconstruction/widening is a LOT more extensive than what they did on I-88 and I-294, I'm sure there was a bigger possibility delays could come up. I anticipate when they rebuild the Central Tri-State, it will face challenges that could delay it too.

Could you paste the story, pay wall.

Hmm, that's odd, I can get to it through Google, but i'll post it anyway. This was published on August 19th.

Unanticipated extra work and contract changes because of delays on the massive Jane Addams reconstruction project will cost the Illinois Tollway more than $19.5 million, officials said Wednesday.

The additional costs represent only a small percentage of the anticipated $840 million being spent on the Addams in 2015 alone and do not threaten to bust the project's budget, but paying them will help ensure the work stays on schedule, Illinois State Toll Highway Authority board members were told.

The Addams rebuilding is the most extensive highway project underway in the Chicago area, involving hundreds of workers and a half-dozen of the biggest contractors, including the Walsh, Plote and Lorig construction companies.

"We're spending $6 million to $8 million a day out there," Tollway Chief Engineer Paul Kovacs said. "It's a huge amount of money, but we're operating within the $2.5 billion I-90 rebuilding and widening project budget."

The Tollway is in the midst of reconstructing the 25-mile stretch of the Addams from the Elgin Toll Plaza to the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) and widening it from six to eight lanes. The work is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2016.

The rebuilding of the 37-mile stretch from Elgin west to Rockford and widening from four to six lanes were completed last year.

The Tollway board awarded about $190 million worth of Addams construction and engineering contracts in February. On Wednesday, the board's Finance Committee approved 13 extra work and change orders to those contracts.

The extra labor and additional materials called for in the change orders are needed to offset initial delays that caused a "ripple effect" on the Addams work, Kovacs said.

Those delays were primarily due to setbacks in acquiring permits from the Army Corps of Engineers and utility companies like Nicor Gas, relocating utility lines at construction sites and the weather, Kovacs said.

Another difficulty came during relocation of a 16.5-mile water pipeline owned by the Northwest Suburban Municipal Joint Action Water Agency. The pipeline is adjacent to the tollway. The Tollway is footing the upfront cost, estimated at $73 million, but is being repaid by the water agency.

The extra work orders will put construction crews on duty for longer hours and on weekends to ensure the project stays on schedule, Kovacs said.

The change orders generally reflected the need for additional materials, such as extra asphalt for temporary ramps, Kovacs said.

"We place a high priority on getting the work done as quickly as we can," Kovacs said. "This is my best plan for keeping our promise for getting the work done by the end of 2016."

If the project were to extend beyond next year, costs would escalate even higher, motorists would be inconvenienced longer and toll revenue would be lost, he said.

To ensure that extra work and change orders are justified, the Tollway has a special committee to review them. Contract changes totaling more than $200,000, such as those requested Wednesday, must be approved by the Tollway board.

Newly named Tollway Executive Director Greg Bedalov, meanwhile, reported that the agency is experiencing its best summer travel season on record, recording the 10 busiest days in Tollway history and averaging nearly 2.8 million weekday toll transactions.

One day, July 24, was the agency's busiest-ever, with 2.9 million toll transactions, Bedalov said.

The growth in traffic, Bedalov said, was likely because of the region's continuing economic expansion, higher employment, lower fuel prices and improvements that have been made to the Tollway system in the past decade.

quickshade

So I would imagine based on the snow today and the fact that they are behind that most area's won't be switched over to the new outside lanes until late spring, and it will be a hurry to finish the whole project by end of next year.  Interested to see what they try to complete over the winter and how the project proceeds in the spring.

dave069

If the winter stays relatively mild maybe it can provide an opportunity for them to catch up on the work. There have been a few shifts east of Elmhurst Road where at least one lane of traffic is on the new pavement. Its their winter configuration I guess. I sure hope they use the relatively mild weather as an opportunity to catch up to schedule. More time under construction would really suck. 

JamesT456

I can confirm that from Tohuy Ave on east to I-294 all 3 lanes east and west are on the new pavement. That was changed over last week. I use 90 from Lee St. towards 294 almost Daily. I will check this afternoon to see if it goes all the way to Elmhurst Rd.
James T.
Driving up & down the Roads most days on the Interstates.

quickshade

I believe the only section left is between 53 and roselle road. There is still some major pavement work to be done so I wouldn't be surprised if the switch didn't happen until spring time in that section.

JamesT456

All three lanes of 90 is on the new pavement going in both directions from 294 to just west of the Elmhurst Road Exit. It goes back to the old pavement a little west of Elmhurst Road.
James T.
Driving up & down the Roads most days on the Interstates.

bahnburner

From a car spotting group on facebook:

"New dynamic messaging signs are up on I-90"

This seemingly completed section is obviously west of Elgin, which I haven't been to yet. Looks decent.

By the way, anyone know if variable speed limits are coming for sure?

quickshade

The Elgin to Rockford section is going to 70, they said sometime during the spring but I would not be shocked if they waited until fall when major construction is wrapped up on 90. I would venture to guess they will monitor Elgin to Chicago next year and see if we get an increase sometime in 2018 for that section.

nwi_navigator_1181

I keep forgetting that I-90 now merges into I-39 instead of the other way around in Rockford. I am just wondering; do they drop a lane before the Cherry Valley Interchange, or do they keep it at three lanes and gradually dropping them as they get closer to State Street?
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

mrose

They still use that extra thick striping.

Never change, Illinois..... never change.

Brandon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 20, 2016, 11:26:40 PM
I keep forgetting that I-90 now merges into I-39 instead of the other way around in Rockford. I am just wondering; do they drop a lane before the Cherry Valley Interchange, or do they keep it at three lanes and gradually dropping them as they get closer to State Street?

The right lane becomes an exit only lane at the Cherry Valley Interchange.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Quote from: mrose on January 21, 2016, 02:30:59 AM

Not IDOT, ISTHA.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mrose

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 21, 2016, 07:01:42 PM

Not IDOT, ISTHA.

That's right, because I only ever saw it on the tollways.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mrose on January 21, 2016, 07:30:28 PM

Not IDOT, ISTHA.

New Jersey Turnpike also.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 21, 2016, 08:39:04 PM
Quote from: mrose on January 21, 2016, 07:30:28 PM

Not IDOT, ISTHA.

New Jersey Turnpike also.

Indiana Toll Road as well.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

JREwing78

Quote from: Brandon on January 21, 2016, 06:27:06 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on January 20, 2016, 11:26:40 PM

The right lane becomes an exit only lane at the Cherry Valley Interchange.

The middle lane of I-90 is then forced to merge left about a half mile after WBD I-90 merges with NBD I-39. So ultimately, 3 lanes of WBD I-90 transition down to 1 lane, but it's done over quite a long distance and normally poses no operational issues. On the next redo, however, I would advise ISTHA extend that lane to the Bus US-20 exit.

quickshade

Seems like everything is moving ahead with the mild winter we have had so far. Center lanes are already torn up in parts for sewer/electric work and the old Fox River Bridge is almost complete gone except for a few footings and pillars left to come down.

If weather continues like this they may have grading work mostly complete by end of spring. I would imagine by mid spring all the beams will be in place on the new bridge and concrete paving could begin. Interesting to see if they can make up the bit of lost time from the delays last year. Maybe even finish major construction ahead of schedule  :-D

I-39

Does anyone know why they are putting a (partial) interchange at Meacham Road? I never understood that. I feel it's too close to the I-90/IL-53/I-290 system interchange.

Also, do you think the Meacham Road bridge is being built to accommodate future improvements at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange? I feel like they didn't widen the bridge enough for potential auxiliary lanes.

Brandon

Quote from: I-39 on February 29, 2016, 01:39:46 PM
Does anyone know why they are putting a (partial) interchange at Meacham Road? I never understood that. I feel it's too close to the I-90/IL-53/I-290 system interchange.

Also, do you think the Meacham Road bridge is being built to accommodate future improvements at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange? I feel like they didn't widen the bridge enough for potential auxiliary lanes.

Access to the Woodfield area from I-90 to/from the west.  Currently, between IL-59 and IL-53/I-290, there are no exit/entry ramps in that direction.  Barrington Road is being turned into a full interchange, and the half-interchange at Meacham Road is also meant to help with that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Because Schaumburg wanted it.  With all the redevelopment planned for the Motorala campus the new ramps should provide some relief for Algonquin Road.

At least for the exit the spacing won't be much of a problem since the C-D roadway that receives the movements from I-290 and IL 53 will just be extended past Meacham before merging with mainline I-90.

Quote from: I-39 on February 29, 2016, 01:39:46 PMAlso, do you think the Meacham Road bridge is being built to accommodate future improvements at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange? I feel like they didn't widen the bridge enough for potential auxiliary lanes.

It appears any improvements to the I-90/I-290/IL 53 interchange are so far out that ISTHA does not see the need to even consider what might be required as part of a future redo of the cloverleaf. especially since they are completely replacing the pavement for all of the existing ramps.

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2016, 02:12:48 PM

Access to the Woodfield area from I-90 to/from the west.  Currently, between IL-59 and IL-53/I-290, there are no exit/entry ramps in that direction.  Barrington Road is being turned into a full interchange, and the half-interchange at Meacham Road is also meant to help with that.

roselle road too.

quickshade

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 29, 2016, 07:51:38 PM

Because Schaumburg wanted it.  With all the redevelopment planned for the Motorala campus the new ramps should provide some relief for Algonquin Road.

At least for the exit the spacing won't be much of a problem since the C-D roadway that receives the movements from I-290 and IL 53 will just be extended past Meacham before merging with mainline I-90.

Quote from: I-39 on February 29, 2016, 01:39:46 PMAlso, do you think the Meacham Road bridge is being built to accommodate future improvements at the I-90/I-290/IL-53 system interchange? I feel like they didn't widen the bridge enough for potential auxiliary lanes.

It appears any improvements to the I-90/I-290/IL 53 interchange are so far out that ISTHA does not see the need to even consider what might be required as part of a future redo of the cloverleaf. especially since they are completely replacing the pavement for all of the existing ramps.

I'll have to check the ramps out next time I swing by, if they are blacktop in certain sections I would not be surprised. Cheap, easy to remove and almost 100% recyclable.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: quickshade on March 01, 2016, 11:45:27 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on February 29, 2016, 07:51:38 PM

I'll have to check the ramps out next time I swing by, if they are blacktop in certain sections I would not be surprised. Cheap, easy to remove and almost 100% recyclable.

They are, in fact, being rebuilt with concrete on all except two of them. The exceptions are IL 53 South to I-90 West (I think due to lack of space), and I believe I-90 East to I-290 East/IL 53 South (someone please double check this for me). Either way, this leads me to believe that the tollway doesn't expect to be changing this configuration anytime soon. Likely, this is a result of a lack of cooperation/funding from IDOT. Just look how long it took and is still taking just to get an interchange between I-57 and I-294 built.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 01, 2016, 07:03:24 PM

roselle road too.

Dusting off this thread, but what is going on with the Roselle Road interchange? It looks like the tollway currently is only putting a stub in for where the westbound on-ramp is supposed to go. Also, a I see what appears to be a newly installed fence where the ramp would be at. Is there something going on with this, or is this portion of the interchange on hold? I know a large business relocated there because of the interchange expansion, so I'd imagine they would be very irritated if it turns out that they do not intend to complete the interchange immediately.

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on June 10, 2016, 12:43:27 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 01, 2016, 07:03:24 PM

roselle road too.

Dusting off this thread, but what is going on with the Roselle Road interchange? It looks like the tollway currently is only putting a stub in for where the westbound on-ramp is supposed to go. Also, a I see what appears to be a newly installed fence where the ramp would be at. Is there something going on with this, or is this portion of the interchange on hold? I know a large business relocated there because of the interchange expansion, so I'd imagine they would be very irritated if it turns out that they do not intend to complete the interchange immediately.
http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/5db8bfd5-87e9-453a-87c8-26a83429acd6
It seems the on ramp will be further down on west central road according to this spec sheet. I haven't looked into this but will next week when I have a chance.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.