News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Nebraska Member

Started by Jovet, December 01, 2015, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovet

Reading through this site has shown me how well done Nebraska's roads and signage truly is.  I had no idea I was so spoiled living here.
Joseph
[Jovet]

SD Mapman

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Jovet

Hi.  I spent a few years in South Dakota, a few years ago.
Joseph
[Jovet]

SignGeek101

Welcome from freeway free Winnipeg! I wish our roads and signs were as good as other jurisdictions, though it could be a lot worse.

Jovet

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 01, 2015, 01:54:44 PM
Welcome from freeway free Winnipeg! I wish our roads and signs were as good as other jurisdictions, though it could be a lot worse.
Thanks.  I should clarify... the roads in the city I live are generally pretty poor.  It was actually a significant factor in my resistance to move back here.  Except for its generally fantastic Interstate roadways, I'd give Nebraska's roads' quality a fair to medium quality average. 

But the signage and such, which has always been an interest of mine, is top of the line.  I'm definitely a fan of Nebraska's diagrammatic junction signage, for example.  It took me a while to realize that those signs are pretty unique to Nebraska, too.  I also happen to think Nebraska's state route markers are the neatest in the land, though maybe because some people on the coasts think there are still covered wagons out there.  I can only recall ever seeing one stupid or poorly-placed sign in my travels around the state.   From what I've seen on here, maybe they sent all of our bad signs to Oklahoma.

On a side note, another one of my hobbies is train simulation, and creating objects (such as road signs) is a fun past time for me.   I've spent a great deal of time studying Canadian signage practices for use in those games,  and I found studying Provincial route markers really interesting.  It was "fun" to redraw the wheat-bunch logo, for example.
Joseph
[Jovet]

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jbnati27

kkt

Jovet

Thanks, all.

So are the users with route shields as their avatars showing off their favorite route?  Because I almost used this one:

Joseph
[Jovet]

ModernDayWarrior

Welcome from southeast Missouri!

To (partially) answer your question on route shield avatars: I wouldn't consider MO-21 my absolute "favorite" route, but it's probably one of them. It's also a route I have lived on or near for most of my life, so it's likely the most "important" route to me in some sense, which is why I picked it.

corco

Mine represents the nearest highway to my current home.

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Jovet

Hmmm. 
Well, I live closest to NE-64, I-680, and US-6, in that order.
NE-2 is one of my favorite highways. 
I've always lived somewhere close to US-75 throughout my life.  Grew up a mile from it, though it was US-73 back in the day.  Am currently about 7 miles from it.
Joseph
[Jovet]

Alex

Welcome to the board! Was just in Omaha back in June visiting a long time friend and contributor to the web site here. Was staying just off Nebraska 133 near I-680.

Rephotographed a lot of the freeways there, but the construction at I-80/680 threw a partial wrench into my shots.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Alabama!
Probably my favorite route is either AL 2 (unsigned state-route that runs along US 72) or I-565.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jovet

Quote from: Alex on December 02, 2015, 09:03:27 AM
Welcome to the board! Was just in Omaha back in June visiting a long time friend and contributor to the web site here. Was staying just off Nebraska 133 near I-680.
Rephotographed a lot of the freeways there, but the construction at I-80/680 threw a partial wrench into my shots.
Thanks a lot.  Funny you should mention 133.  It's the "main artery" that connects Omaha to my hometown of Blair, and is surely one of the busiest state highways.  It's finally been getting upgraded to a 4-lane divided highway.  Probably 20-30 years too late, in my estimation.  So, I'm very familiar with that area, and am not far from I-680 myself...just a bit further southwest.

The I-80/680 construction kind-of surprised me as I don't really keep up with project planning.  But since it took 10-12 years to do that interchange only ≈10 years ago, you would think it'd be good to go for a couple decades.  Nobody I know seems to really know what's going on with the lane routings and closed feeders there, either.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 02, 2015, 09:24:59 AM
Welcome from Alabama!
Thanks.  I remember seeing a few pretty unique traffic lights in Alliance, NE when I was younger.  I've never seen any design of 4-way traffic signal head before or since.
Joseph
[Jovet]

jbnati27

Quote from: Jovet on December 01, 2015, 05:03:06 PM
Thanks, all.

So are the users with route shields as their avatars showing off their favorite route?  Because I almost used this one:

I wouldn't necessarily say Ohio 28 is my favorite route, it's just one I'm on frequently. It depends on what day you ask me, but some of my favorites are US19, US27, NC9, I-40, I-77, US76, and US74.

mvak36

Quote from: Jovet on December 01, 2015, 12:14:57 PM
Reading through this site has shown me how well done Nebraska's roads and signage truly is.  I had no idea I was so spoiled living here.

Welcome from Kansas (Nebraska native  :))
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Jardine

Welcome, I'm just a ways east over the border.

Wish 133 rebuild was done, didn't think I would miss it as much as I am.  After it's 4 lane all the way to Blair, however, I suspect there will tremendous development on both sides of it, and the traffic congestion will actually be worse in a few years.  All that flat land along the high road will be subdivided, and every mile along 133 there will be a strip mall or a Walgreens.

:-o

Jovet

Quote from: Jardine on December 06, 2015, 05:27:45 PM
Wish 133 rebuild was done, didn't think I would miss it as much as I am.  After it's 4 lane all the way to Blair, however, I suspect there will tremendous development on both sides of it, and the traffic congestion will actually be worse in a few years.  All that flat land along the high road will be subdivided, and every mile along 133 there will be a strip mall or a Walgreens.

Thanks!  Now I'm curious just how far away you are on yonder.  Especially if you run up 133 with any regularity, as it seems. 

I'm not sure I agree about the instant highway-side development prospects... the same has certainly been said for I-80 between Omaha and Lincoln, and it hasn't happened.  I hope the congestion prospect doesn't materialize, because the highway has already been nearly unbearable during rush hours for years.  Having a chance to actually pass a slow driver is a welcome improvement!  I wish it were done, too...especially since last I looked, the NDOR website says it's completed!  LOL  Looks like their page on the "new" site is completely gone now.  The old site now says still under construction.  Go figure....

On a completely un-related note...  I have yet to discover the secret to marking the entire forum (all forums, sub-forums, and topics) as "Read".  Sub-forums and such seem to have links for this, but the entire forum as a whole does not, that I can find.  Help?
Joseph
[Jovet]

DandyDan

Welcome from Papillion.  Nice to know there are others here, at least while I am here.  (I might be moving to northern Iowa sometime next year.).
P.S. My highway choice is just the local US route I feel like having up at the moment.  It's probably my favorite US route within Nebraska.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Jovet

Quote from: DandyDan on December 14, 2015, 07:44:21 AM
Welcome from Papillion.  Nice to know there are others here, at least while I am here.
Howdy neighbor. ;) 
275 is a pretty nice highway!  I'm waiting for it to become I580. haha
Joseph
[Jovet]

paulthemapguy

Welcome from Illinois!  I'm not from Vermont, but I'm using a Vermont shield because I just took a trip there.  My next trip is to Washington and I'll probably change it again once I get back XD
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Jardine

Regarding your train interest, I don't know if they have it yet, but I heard the UP Museum in Council Bluffs is getting a new locomotive simulator.  The old one was actually pretty neat, despite the older technology, I'm sure a new one would be spectacular.

noelbotevera

Welcome from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania! I forgot to post here, lol.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.