AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass  (Read 97919 times)

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass
« on: July 09, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »

With construction of the Hinkley Bypass nearing completion (it's expected to open sometime late this year), I was poking around the Caltrans District 8 website and found that the Kramer Junction Bypass project is ready to list in FY2016/17.  This project will construct a 4-lane expressway that will connect the 4-lane freeway east of Boron to the 4-lane expressway between Kramer Junction and Hinkley and include an interchange at US 395.  This will close the last 2-lane conventional highway portion of CA-58 between Bakersfield and Barstow.

A map showing all ready-to-list project in District 8 is available here...
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=280565fdc5854b6e93f3e8d9e8f0936d&extent=-119.2153,32.7378,-113.0465,35.8547
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:39:48 PM by roadfro »
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

• Last Login: May 25, 2019, 08:53:06 PM
Re: CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:26:32 PM »

I have been to watching this expressway bypass of California state route 58 too from the Kern County/San Bernardino County line to east of Kramer Jct. at the interchange of what is being constructed at U.S. 395 too.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

coatimundi

• Last Login: April 17, 2020, 12:42:35 AM
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »

This is over 3 months ahead of schedule for the originally proposed RTL date. I guess the design finished quickly.

Which routing alternative did they go with?

ACSCmapcollector

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »

What does RTL mean?

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

myosh_tino

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:28:48 PM »

Ready To List
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

LM117

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 03:36:52 PM
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »

Too bad the non-freeway segments of CA-58 isn't being built to interstate standards. Given the truck traffic on CA-58 and it's use as a bypass of Los Angeles for traffic headed to the SF Bay area and points north from the Southeast and vice versa, extending I-40 from Barstow to I-5 near Bakersfield seems like a no-brainer to me. :hmm:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ACSCmapcollector

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »

I am more thinking off that some of that traffic would enter the central California coast too, and the San Joaquin Valley also. For California state route 58, AASHTO just is not up to having the highway for an Interstate 40 extension as of now, but they have to change their minds.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »

I hope Caltrans is at least reserving sufficient right of way for a future conversion to interstate standards.

ACSCmapcollector

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 10:13:48 PM »

Me too.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 10:53:16 PM »

About friggin time, too bad it's not looking like it won't be well into 2017 when the Kramer Junction bypass will be finished.  That intersection with US 395 always has problems eastbound unless you get through ass early in the morning.

myosh_tino

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:50 AM »

About friggin time, too bad it's not looking like it won't be well into 2017 when the Kramer Junction bypass will be finished.

2017?  It will go out to bid sometime over the next 12 months so I wouldn't expect it to be completed before 2019 at the earliest.  The Hinkley Bypass is going to take about 2 1/2 years to build.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:55:04 AM »

About friggin time, too bad it's not looking like it won't be well into 2017 when the Kramer Junction bypass will be finished.

2017?  It will go out to bid sometime over the next 12 months so I wouldn't expect it to be completed before 2019 at the earliest.  The Hinkley Bypass is going to take about 2 1/2 years to build.

Guess that I misread what the map said.  My mistake, pretty good chance I won't be taking advantage by the time 2019 rolls around. 

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »

With the completion of (upgradeable) expressway (and the Boron freeway segment) along the High Desert portion of 58, perhaps conversion of the last portion of the route featuring at-grade intersections between Mojave and Bakersfield to a full freeway -- the 223 junction/Caliente Road segment -- could at long last find its way onto the Caltrans STIP!  I've driven that road more times than I can recall -- and I've personally witnessed some horrendous collisions at 58/223 over the last 49 years (drove 58 first in '67!). 

Perhaps some enterprising soul with a decent CAD program could, within this forum's "Redesigning Interchanges" Fictional subtopic, come up with a viable design to combine the two adjacent intersections at 223 and Caliente into a single facility (remember, this would be a Caltrans rural facility, so keep it simple, straightforward, and as cheap to construct as possible!).

You can surmise from the shield on my posts what I'd like to happen to the 58 corridor in my lifetime :nod:!           

LM117

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

For California state route 58, AASHTO just is not up to having the highway for an Interstate 40 extension as of now, but they have to change their minds.

An I-40 extension was last rejected in the 1960's, I believe. Bakersfield is a lot bigger than it was then and CA-58 also carries more traffic than it used to. If Caltrans were to apply again for an I-40 extension to I-5, I think it's very likely that AASHTO and FHWA will approve it now, as long as the remainder of the non-freeway segments are upgraded to interstate standards. If the remainder of the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield is built, I-40 could use that through the city. The section of the Westside Parkway that's already open appears to be interstate standard based from what I can tell using Google Streetview.

LM117

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

I hope Caltrans is at least reserving sufficient right of way for a future conversion to interstate standards.

I hope so too. It would be stupid of Caltrans if they don't reserve enough ROW.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

For California state route 58, AASHTO just is not up to having the highway for an Interstate 40 extension as of now, but they have to change their minds.

An I-40 extension was last rejected in the 1960's, I believe. Bakersfield is a lot bigger than it was then and CA-58 also carries more traffic than it used to. If Caltrans were to apply again for an I-40 extension to I-5, I think it's very likely that AASHTO and FHWA will approve it now, as long as the remainder of the non-freeway segments are upgraded to interstate standards. If the remainder of the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield is built, I-40 could use that through the city. The section of the Westside Parkway that's already open appears to be interstate standard based from what I can tell using Google Streetview.

Really it's probably going to take an Interstate quality design all the way to I-5 for something like an I-40 extension to get traction.  Given the recent tact of Caltrans there is probably a pretty decent chance that they wouldn't pursue the designation anyways.  Don't forget you still got the CA 15s and CA 210s of the world floating around there.  We're talking something that is still a long ways away from even being a slight possibility.  I'm just happy that Kramer Junction being bypassed is looking like a near future event.  I'm fairly certain I won't be in Bakersfield by 2019...but hey it will sure make things more interesting if I ever come for a visit.

coatimundi

• Last Login: April 17, 2020, 12:42:35 AM
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 03:08:31 PM »

Given the recent tact of Caltrans there is probably a pretty decent chance that they wouldn't pursue the designation anyways.

Exactly. There's no reason at all for Caltrans to pursue an interstate designation. It would, of course, be in Kern County's interest to get this, but Kern County tends to not have much clout in state politics, and I don't think they'd be enough to push Caltrans as a whole (as opposed to just District 6).
CA 58 still has a lot of work needed for it to be even freeway standards the whole way. And not just the unbuilt section and the Kramer Junction Bypass: there are several non-freeway sections between Bakersfield and Barstow. Even if those were built up, I'm fairly certain that a lot of the curves and grades in Tehachapi Pass are not up to interstate standards, not to mention the shoulders. Any work on Tehachapi Pass - which is, in my mind, a perfectly fine roadway as it is - would be extremely expensive.

As a line on a map, Interstate 40 makes sense, but I don't think it'll ever happen because of all of these factors.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 03:39:27 PM »

Given the recent tact of Caltrans there is probably a pretty decent chance that they wouldn't pursue the designation anyways.

Exactly. There's no reason at all for Caltrans to pursue an interstate designation. It would, of course, be in Kern County's interest to get this, but Kern County tends to not have much clout in state politics, and I don't think they'd be enough to push Caltrans as a whole (as opposed to just District 6).
CA 58 still has a lot of work needed for it to be even freeway standards the whole way. And not just the unbuilt section and the Kramer Junction Bypass: there are several non-freeway sections between Bakersfield and Barstow. Even if those were built up, I'm fairly certain that a lot of the curves and grades in Tehachapi Pass are not up to interstate standards, not to mention the shoulders. Any work on Tehachapi Pass - which is, in my mind, a perfectly fine roadway as it is - would be extremely expensive.

As a line on a map, Interstate 40 makes sense, but I don't think it'll ever happen because of all of these factors.

Not to mention that some of the downhill/uphill grades probably exceed Interstate standards at times between Tehacpi and Bakersfield.  Get rid of Kramer Junction and you have a perfectly adequate roadway, the at grade intersections on the current expressway aren't nearly the problem that they are on 58 as opposed to US 101.  The Interstate design standards are great and all but they aren't always necessary.  I see similar conversations with CA 99.  It would cost a fortune just to get those shoulders and outdated exits done on that road that it isn't worth the effort. 

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »

Like with the CA 99 corridor, any push for Interstate status for CA 58 will have to come from political forces in the affected regions; there is little possibility that Caltrans itself would initiate such an action.  Local political action was responsible for the last three Interstate conversions (110 in '81, 710 in '84, and 880 in '86); in each case, a congressman from the area (the late Glenn Anderson, D-Gardena, in the case of the first two) was on point for the necessary AASHTO/FHWA vetting.  Part of the problem is that the actual construction involved in Interstate upgrades is considered within Caltrans to be just another drain on their resources -- and that the budgeting process that is involved in apportioning funds to each district would be substantially disrupted by "piling on" such an outlay in addition to the requirements of the STIP under which they are operating.  Unless an improvement to Interstate standards on one of the corridors in question is actually contained within the currently effective STIP, even considering 5 to 15-year windows for upgrades to any is thought of as an "off-book" project.  It's not like it was with the pre-'73 Division of Highways; Caltrans is an omnibus tranportation/transit agency with as much $$ volume going to localized (mostly urban/suburban) programmed projects -- just examine any of the last three or four STIP's on a line-item level!  Long-distance corridor work, unless severely substandard facilities are involved (like 99 between 198 and the Fresno area), is undertaken if and only if there is sufficient funding available -- which, given the more recent bias toward street/transit issues in denser locales, is not always a given. 

In short, Interstate conversion isn't cheap -- and Caltrans' priorities are presently focused on localized issues; they won't run point on such long-distance upgrades.  If either CA 58 or 99 is to gain Interstate status -- despite being warranted by commercial traffic stats -- it will come from outside.  Since the 99 corridor is already listed (via an addendum to the HPC 54 description) as a future Interstate, the only legislative action required for signage would be for a member of Congress to pick a number and tack it onto the existing legislative description; the existence of the state plan to expand 99 would likely serve as a de facto "25-year-window" for facility compliance.  Arranging for the same treatment for 58 would require an entirely new corridor designation (Barstow to Buttonwillow); the process would be similar if not identical to the language added to the yearly federal funding bill that eventually resulted in I-42 in NC.  Again, that would have to come from a congressional source with sufficient clout to steer it through the committee process.  In the case of either corridor, it's likely that Caltrans would approach either "mandate from above" with their usual shrug of the shoulders; they'd likely spread any upgrade projects over as many STIP terms as they could, and carry on as before, with work progressing at a marginally faster rate than before.         

Inyomono395

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 08:31:46 PM
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »

Any updates on the Hinkley bypass? Is the project nearing completion? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

myosh_tino

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 09:06:17 PM »

Any updates on the Hinkley bypass? Is the project nearing completion? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I'll know more in about 2 1/2 weeks when I make my annual trip to Las Vegas.  I don't know if pictures are possible as I'll be driving alone.  I think the project is slated to be finished in early 2017.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »

I'll know more in about 2 1/2 weeks when I make my annual trip to Las Vegas.  I don't know if pictures are possible as I'll be driving alone.  I think the project is slated to be finished in early 2017.

Funny, I just realized that I'll literally be heading directly out of the way on the way to Nevada, Utah, and Arizona then back.  I'll be taking CA 190, CA 127, and Stateline out then CA 62, CA 18, and CA 138 back in.  It's almost like I'm going out of my way to avoid CA 58 and I-15....guess I'll have to check the road myself sometime near New Years.  :rolleyes:

myosh_tino

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »

Ran across an article from the L.A. Times dated March 9, 2016 regarding the transportation funding crisis facing the state of California.  It's reported that the $155 million Kramer Junction Bypass is one of the projects that could either be delayed or cancelled due to this funding crisis...

In San Bernardino County, the biggest of five projects at risk for cutback or elimination is the Kramer Junction four-lane expressway, with $155,095,000 potentially on the chopping block

This might explain why this project hasn't gone out to bid.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

Ran across an article from the L.A. Times dated March 9, 2016 regarding the transportation funding crisis facing the state of California.  It's reported that the $155 million Kramer Junction Bypass is one of the projects that could either be delayed or cancelled due to this funding crisis...

In San Bernardino County, the biggest of five projects at risk for cutback or elimination is the Kramer Junction four-lane expressway, with $155,095,000 potentially on the chopping block

This might explain why this project hasn't gone out to bid.

Great and I was hoping to actually not get stuck at the railroad tracks at Boron at some point in the next ten years.  Might have to put that little dream to bed for good since I'll probably long moved on whenever it gets built at that this rate.  :-D

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:02:06 PM
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 04:32:44 PM »

Hopefully this bypass will be built eventually. Will the CA-58/US 395 junction have an interchange? I think it would be foolish to have the two highways meet at-grade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.