AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass  (Read 97920 times)

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
Re: CA-58 Kramer Junction Bypass
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

Seeing how there's been very little new news about the Kramer Junction Bypass project, I revisited the Ready-To-List map on the District 8 website and was disappointed to see the Kramer Junction Bypass was removed from the map.

Knowing that funding became an issue in 2016, I checked the list of projects being funded by the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) and found that the funding for the Kramer Junction Bypass project (about $30.5 million) has been delayed to the 2019-2020 timeframe meaning it probably wouldn't open until 2024 at the earliest. :(

:banghead:

Interesting how the bypass can't get funded even with the road repair bill and gas tax increases that will occurring because of it. 

IIRC, this is not the first time that work on this segment of CA 58 has been delayed; this corridor, despite its ever-increasing role as the principal E-W commercial route to and from the San Joaquin Valley, seems to have become the "forgotten stepchild" of CA transportation policy, with the improvements being handed out one small piece at a time.  Even $30.5M seems somewhat low for the mileage involved (Boron to east of Kramer); from what I've seen from current and past STIPs, that amount would cover the 58/395 diamond interchange and maybe the segment west to the current Boron freeway, but little else.  I'd assume that the easement purchase was completed some time ago, and that preliminary grubbing took place in the interim -- and that those funds are for grading, paving and structures only.  If anyone can supply some construction details for the cited project, that would be greatly appreciated -- if only to determine the extent of the project itself! 

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

Interesting how the bypass can't get funded even with the road repair bill and gas tax increases that will occurring because of it.

Keep in mind the STIP information I got dates back to 2016 which predates the bill recently signed to help with transportation projects and road repair.  It's entirely possible funding for the project could be freed up by as early as next year.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jeffe

• Last Login: December 10, 2023, 02:19:19 AM
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47:48 AM »

Keep in mind the STIP information I got dates back to 2016 which predates the bill recently signed to help with transportation projects and road repair.  It's entirely possible funding for the project could be freed up by as early as next year.

According to the "12 MONTH LOOK-AHEAD BY DISTRICT AND ADVERTISE AS OF July 3, 2017" the Kramer Junction project will be advertised on 1 September 2017:

Project IDDistrictEA5COUNTYROUTEWork DescriptionBKPMAHPMRoadway Capital EstimateBridge Capital  EstimateProposed Advertise Date
0800000616 08 34770SBD058 CONSTRUCT 4‐LANE DIVIDED EXPWY; 
SR58/US395 IC & RR OH BR.
012.9$143,041,000$29,589,000 09/01/2017

sparker

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2017, 04:10:05 PM »

According to the "12 MONTH LOOK-AHEAD BY DISTRICT AND ADVERTISE AS OF July 3, 2017" the Kramer Junction project will be advertised on 1 September 2017:

Project IDDistrictEA5COUNTYROUTEWork DescriptionBKPMAHPMRoadway Capital EstimateBridge Capital  EstimateProposed Advertise Date
0800000616 08 34770SBD058 CONSTRUCT 4‐LANE DIVIDED EXPWY;
SR58/US395 IC & RR OH BR.

$143M for the road and $29.6M for the structures:  seems about right for this segment, seeing as it includes a set of bridges over the BNSF tracks east of Kramer in addition to the 395 interchange.   It also sounds like the $30.5M figure cited previously related to the structure expense, since modified to the current quoted amount.   Let's hope it lets on the listed schedule!

myosh_tino

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »

Project IDDistrictEA5COUNTYROUTEWork DescriptionBKPMAHPMRoadway Capital EstimateBridge Capital  EstimateProposed Advertise Date

Excellent find!  It should appear on the Caltrans website on August 21st (Caltrans lists advertised projects 2 weeks in advance although actual plans will not be released until it's officially advertised).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:18:26 PM by myosh_tino »
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

• Last Login: May 25, 2019, 08:53:06 PM
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »

Excellent find!  It should appear on the Caltrans website on August 21st (Caltrans lists advertised projects 2 weeks in advance although actual plans will not be released until the officially advertised).

Also on the new 2018 Rand McNally Road Atlas, it doesn't show from Barstow, CA to Hinkley, CA as a four lane divided highway, and freeway at Barstow, CA.

sparker

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »

Also on the new 2018 Rand McNally Road Atlas, it doesn't show from Barstow, CA to Hinkley, CA as a four lane divided highway, and freeway at Barstow, CA.

The easternmost freeway portion of CA 58 extending across the Mojave River and ending (originally) at the east end of Hinkley has never been shown on the RmcN atlases, even though (a) it wouldn't be difficult to do so; it contains more mileage than a simple "stub" and (b) the damn thing's been open for 20 years now!  The only cartographic depiction of it as a freeway is on the intrastate regional AAA maps.  Seems to be that with at least McNally, the attention span regarding CA 58 is a bit short -- although the "official" start of the Kramer project on the heels of the Hinkley bypass may -- hopefully -- indicate something of a "sea change" regarding progress along this corridor; we can only wait and hope!

Inyomono395

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 08:31:46 PM

GoneBoating

• Last Login: January 09, 2024, 01:26:18 PM
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »

That they postponed the project due to seasonally high rail traffic does indicate that the project should be been done decades ago...

sparker

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2017, 12:54:10 AM »

http://www.tehachapinews.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-a-construction-update-on-highway/article_405b602c-d555-11e7-9d3d-03001e362fbd.html

Hope there is some truth to this article.
Hopefully the start date is correct because this is long overdue
That they postponed the project due to seasonally high rail traffic does indicate that the project should be been done decades ago...

Since the only portion of the project affected by BNSF rail movements would be the bridge over the tracks east of Kramer, there's no reason that preliminary activities on the remainder of the project could not commence once the project had been let.  My guess is that Caltrans wanted the contract to commence after the start of the calendar year for budgetary purposes (i.e., not showing up on the 2017 books for whatever reason); the BNSF excuse was simply for public consumption.  That being said, the last few times I've been through Stockton over the last several months I did notice much more activity re container trains on the BNSF line that terminates at the container port in Richmond -- the same line through Kramer Corners.  Given the near-capacity activity at the ports of L.A. and Long Beach, it wouldn't be surprising to find that more container ships are porting in the Bay Area rather than down south. 

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:45 AM
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

I can't seem to find a map showing the final alignment and schematics of the Kramer Junction Bypass. I know they're planning a Interstate style exit for US-395, but would like to know how much more of it will be up to freeway standards. If they're building it to basic 4-lane expressway standards hopefully they're reserving enough ROW to bring it up to full Interstate quality sometime in the future.

The Hinkley Bypass looks pretty close to Interstate quality, except for the somewhat narrow inner shoulders and the at grade intersection with Wagner Road on the West end of that bypass. Once the Kramer Junction Bypass is complete it would seem relatively easy to slowly eliminate the remaining at grade intersections along CA-58 between Mojave and Hinkley.

sparker

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »

I can't seem to find a map showing the final alignment and schematics of the Kramer Junction Bypass. I know they're planning a Interstate style exit for US-395, but would like to know how much more of it will be up to freeway standards. If they're building it to basic 4-lane expressway standards hopefully they're reserving enough ROW to bring it up to full Interstate quality sometime in the future.

The Hinkley Bypass looks pretty close to Interstate quality, except for the somewhat narrow inner shoulders and the at grade intersection with Wagner Road on the West end of that bypass. Once the Kramer Junction Bypass is complete it would seem relatively easy to slowly eliminate the remaining at grade intersections along CA-58 between Mojave and Hinkley.

Pretty much all freeway mileage east of the California City Blvd. intersection (west of Boron) all the way to I-15 is construction that occurred over the previous 25-30 years; typically, it's Interstate-grade geometry (if not fully shouldered), even on the expressway sections with grade crossings; this segment would be relatively easy to upgrade when & if that would be programmed.  The segment from the end of the Boron freeway section west to the Mojave Bypass is one of the older divided segments on CA 58, featuring asphalt pavement; the EB lanes are the older of the carriageways, aligned atop the facility as built in the mid-50's -- the very original alignment largely along the BNSF rail line was replaced with the newer 2-lane facility slightly to the north in the mid-50's.  The later facility was twinned in the '70's when the Boron freeway was constructed to the east.  While it currently functions adequately as an expressway, should an upgrade be sought shoulder widening (inner & outer) and possibly some geometric changes (along with a couple of interchanges and additional grade separations) will almost certainly be needed on that segment (about 10 miles long) before it could pass Interstate muster.     

Inyomono395

sparker

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2017, 01:45:10 AM »

http://www.desertnews.com/news/article_fea9d16e-89ae-11e7-b3e1-5f014c5ed591.html?mode=image&photo=0

Now that's interesting -- I always had heard that CA 58 would cross US 395 on an overpass with a standard diamond interchange; these plans depict a EB folded diamond with CA 58 remaining at grade and US 395 on an overpass (I wonder if this is the result of kickback from whoever owns the property west of 395 and south of the planned 58 alignment).  In any case, I'm just relieved that something is finally getting underway here!

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »

Hm.  Doesn't look like they reserved enough right of way to upgrade to a full interchange in the future.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:45 AM
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

Are you talking about a freeway to freeway interchange? If so I think chances are slim to none US-395 would be upgraded into a freeway through there. It's difficult enough as it is to get CA-58 upgraded to Interstate quality (even though the corridor badly needs it).

I've seen that image of the CA-58 exit at US-395 before. I just haven't seen how the overall bypass plan looks, such as the crucial new overpass over the rail line 2.6 miles West of Kramer Junction. Will the interchange with US-395 be the only new freeway style exit along CA-58? How are they going to handle highway access for the few houses and other buildings at Boron Airstrip (just East of where the current Boron freeway segment ends)? It looks like there's enough space for frontage roads, but it's not clear if any frontage roads will be built. There's another 10 miles of non-freeway 4-lane road between North Edwards and Mojave.

sparker

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

Are you talking about a freeway to freeway interchange? If so I think chances are slim to none US-395 would be upgraded into a freeway through there. It's difficult enough as it is to get CA-58 upgraded to Interstate quality (even though the corridor badly needs it).

I've seen that image of the CA-58 exit at US-395 before. I just haven't seen how the overall bypass plan looks, such as the crucial new overpass over the rail line 2.6 miles West of Kramer Junction. Will the interchange with US-395 be the only new freeway style exit along CA-58? How are they going to handle highway access for the few houses and other buildings at Boron Airstrip (just East of where the current Boron freeway segment ends)? It looks like there's enough space for frontage roads, but it's not clear if any frontage roads will be built. There's another 10 miles of non-freeway 4-lane road between North Edwards and Mojave.

Actually, the RR crossing will be east of US 395 and Kramer; as the expressway/freeway will be situated north of the RR tracks (which parallel existing CA 58 on the north side of the road through Kramer -- hence the at-grade RR crossing west of Kramer to access the Boron bypass freeway), it has to cross the tracks to get to the existing expressway between Kramer and Hinkley. 

IIRC (and cahwyguy might be able to chime in on this) there is an existing adopted freeway alignment for US 395, but it doesn't go directly down the existing highway but a bit either east or west of Kramer; that would require a completely new interchange if a N-S freeway were to be built.  Between I-15 and CA 58 US 395 has quite a bit of traffic, with trucks predominating -- but a large portion of them turn west on CA 58 toward Bakersfield -- it seems that at least to some savvy truckers, US 395 and CA 58 are forming an effective L.A. metro bypass of sorts. 

myosh_tino

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »

A couple of interesting points...

http://www.tehachapinews.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-a-construction-update-on-highway/article_405b602c-d555-11e7-9d3d-03001e362fbd.html

Hope there is some truth to this article.
Hopefully the start date is correct because this is long overdue

I was unaware that a contract was awarded for this project as I never saw it advertised on the Caltrans website unlike the Hinkley Bypass project.  If someone knows the project number (starts with "08-") and/or plans, can you please post a link.  I would really appreciate it.

Now that's interesting -- I always had heard that CA 58 would cross US 395 on an overpass with a standard diamond interchange; these plans depict a EB folded diamond with CA 58 remaining at grade and US 395 on an overpass (I wonder if this is the result of kickback from whoever owns the property west of 395 and south of the planned 58 alignment).  In any case, I'm just relieved that something is finally getting underway here!

From everything that I have seen, all of the proposed alignments that took the bypass north of the existing highway at Kramer Junction featured that folded diamond design and that none of the proposals took 395 over 58.

It's difficult enough as it is to get CA-58 upgraded to Interstate quality (even though the corridor badly needs it).

If by "Interstate quality" you mean eliminating the at-grade intersections, your comment makes sense but if you're talking about the general design of the highway, that's another story.  For the most part, the only significant difference, design-wise, between "Expressway" and "Freeway" in California is limiting access to the highway (i.e. interchanges vs intersections).

In the case of the Hinkley Bypass, it's all freeway except for about a 1/2 mile segment at the western end where Wagner Rd intersects 58.  Because of that intersection, the term "Expressway" was used in the project description rather than "Freeway".

The same will probably be the case with the Kramer Junction Bypass with all of it being freeway until it joins the existing expressway.

I've seen that image of the CA-58 exit at US-395 before. I just haven't seen how the overall bypass plan looks, such as the crucial new overpass over the rail line 2.6 miles West of Kramer Junction.

I believe the selected alignment is to the north of the existing highway.  That would mean the bypass would cross the railroad about 2 miles east of Kramer Junction.

Will the interchange with US-395 be the only new freeway style exit along CA-58? How are they going to handle highway access for the few houses and other buildings at Boron Airstrip (just East of where the current Boron freeway segment ends)?

As far as I know, the only interchange planned is with US 395.  I could see an at-grade intersection at the east end of the bypass providing access to the old highway.  As for the Boron Airstrip, access to that would be via Boron Avenue, Twenty Mule Team Road and the old highway.

For what it's worth, here's a crude drawing of what I believe is the proposed alignment...

sparker

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

As far as I know, the only interchange planned is with US 395.  I could see an at-grade intersection at the east end of the bypass providing access to the old highway.  As for the Boron Airstrip, access to that would be via Boron Avenue, Twenty Mule Team Road and the old highway.

For what it's worth, here's a crude drawing of what I believe is the proposed alignment...

That drawing is pretty much what I've seen before re the actual alignment; it's likely they'll "hook" the existing 58 alignment south of the RR tracks around to intersect with the new expressway at the east end of the overpass bridge, which is at or near the present west end of the 4-lane expressway. 

Once this project is completed, most of the safety and efficiency issues of the CA 58 corridor will have been dealt with; as much as I, along with a number of others, would like to see a I-40 extension along this corridor, that won't likely happen without persevering political influence exertion from entities that would benefit from such a designation and upgrade -- Bakersfield being the most likely candidate to supply such activity.  What will likely happen -- at least once the Westside extension reaches I-5 -- is that the most obvious remaining issues, like the CA 223 and California City Blvd. intersections, will be addressed as stand-alone projects; "filling in" the gaps will likely come in time, with Interstate status being dicussed and/or formally proposed when most of the route is full freeway and the "gaps" are seen as problems rather than merely corridor features.  That being said -- if truck traffic increases significantly, then the corridor might find itself in a spotlight that could be conducive to a comprehensive program of upgrades.                                                                                                                                                                                                 

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:29 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »

CalTrans seems to be giving low priority to elevating state routes to Interstate status, like CA 210 in the San Bernadino area and CA 15 in San Diego, even when they have already been upgraded to freeways.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sparker

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

CalTrans seems to be giving low priority to elevating state routes to Interstate status, like CA 210 in the San Bernadino area and CA 15 in San Diego, even when they have already been upgraded to freeways.

While Caltrans' reluctance to change much of anything regarding route designation & signage is legendary, the issues accompanying the two routes cited are very specific to the situations:  the issue with chargeability of the N-S section of former I-210 now signed as CA 57 has yet to be resolved (apparently FHWA still considers that I-210 and won't as of yet support signage of the non-chargeable section as I-210; and Caltrans hasn't pressed the issue).  And substandard features remain on CA 15 between I-5 and I-805;  programmed projects to address those haven't yet been let.  OTOH, Caltrans jumped on the conversion of I-110, I-710, and I-880 with little or no reluctance -- so their overall record is a mixed bag -- although I'll admit they're a little casual these days regarding anything Interstate.

Inyomono395

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »

Has anyone passed through Kramer Junction since the new year? Just curious if any kind of construction has started yet.

rschen7754

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 06:28:53 PM
    • http://www.rschen7754.com
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »

Inyomono395

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »

Any progress on the project since the groundbreaking ceremony?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.