News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Southwest Florida

Started by FLRoads, October 23, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLRoads

Figured I would start a thread for my home area of Southwest Florida and post any road news related articles here for those interested in that part of the state.

The eastern section of Estero Parkway officially opened to traffic this morning with a ribbon cutting ceremony. The last section of the east-west arterial included a bridge over Interstate 75, the first such overpass constructed along the section of interstate between Tampa and Naples since the 1980's. With this route now open, it should help alleviate traffic on the parallel arterials of Corkscrew Road (to the south) and Alico Road (to the north).

http://www.news-press.com/article/20091023/NEWS0108/91023009/1075

FLRoads

The expansion project (known as IROX) going on along Interstate 75 between the Golden Gate Parkway interchange (Exit 105) and Florida 884 (Colonial Boulevard - Exit 136) in Fort Myers will be completed by April 2010, authorities say, with some portions opening up to six lanes of traffic by the holidays. The project was originally suppose to continue northward to the Florida 80 interchange (Palm Beach Boulevard - Exit 138), but the trimmed budgets shortened the project. Stimulus funds however have been allocated for the remaining section and construction could start next year.

florida

30 miles of BGSs to replace because they won't retrofit them to go on overheads.  :-(

I thought I-75 was already 6-laned from Naples to Fort Myers.
So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

No, it was only four-laned until this project. Given the tremendous growth in the area though, it should have been upgraded in the 1990's. Traffic even then between Fort Myers and Naples was terrible at best. A 30-minute commute would sometimes take at least an hour, given on the conditions (i.e. traffic congestion, accident, etc.) 

jdb1234

Saw on FDOT that they are finally widening the SR 951 bridge to Marco Island.  I was under the impression that it was going to be a toll bridge.

FLRoads

Quote from: jdb1234 on February 08, 2010, 08:03:19 PM
Saw on FDOT that they are finally widening the SR 951 bridge to Marco Island.  I was under the impression that it was going to be a toll bridge.

Just sent off an email to find out the answer, though I think it will not be. Once I have a positive answer I will post it here!

FLRoads

Found out today that indeed the SR 951 bridge to Marco Island will not be tolled once the second span is completed.

florida

It's surprising the state didn't widen it before they turned it over.
So many roads...so little time.

FLRoads

Yeah I am a little surprised by that as well. I am also surprised it has taken this long to even get the second span. I would have thought that there would have been a second span built to aid in hurricane evacuations many years ago.

jdb1234

Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 14, 2010, 12:15:01 AM
Yeah I am a little surprised by that as well. I am also surprised it has taken this long to even get the second span. I would have thought that there would have been a second span built to aid in hurricane evacuations many years ago.

Same here, the bridge has been a bottleneck for several years now.  When I was down there during the summer of '08 there was talk of the new span being a toll project.  I am familiar with Marco Island, my grandparents have lived there for many years.

Alex

About a month old (the road opened on October 21), but we took a ride on this today.

Long-awaited Metro Parkway Extension to open Sunday

QuoteThe new six-lane roadway from Ben C. Pratt/Six Mile Cypress Parkway to U.S. 41 has been a work in progress for the past three years, breaking ground in August of 2009. Trouble with a contractor caused a several-months delay in 2011.

Originally, the $30 million road extension was scheduled to be completed by February this year. Original contractor Posen Construction was fired in May 2011 for violations of its contract, including failing to meet construction deadlines and delaying its payment of subcontractors.

Work resumed last October after the hiring of contractor C.W. Roberts.

QuoteThe three-mile-long extension will, for the first few months at least, be a nonstop, 45-mph limit roadway with only one access point, at Briarcliff Road.

Cella said a traffic study will be made early in 2013 to determine if a light is needed at Briarcliff.

==
There are no signs posted for SR 739 southbound after Six Mile Cypress Parkway, but there are three shields northbound on the same stretch. Metro Parkway carries six overall lanes except for four from the Alico Road underpass to U.S. 41. There is no access from U.S. 41 south to SR 739 north.

The third northbound shield.

For some reason or another, the traffic light at SR 739 and Six Mile Cypress Parkway was in flash mode today. Made for a dicey scenario when crossing since the busier east-west road was the one set with the red, stop cycle.

Alex

Potential conversion of I-75 - Exit 213 from a standard diamond to a DDI.

Manatee officials push University Parkway interchange expansion

QuoteOfficials Monday sought a shorter timeline for the widening and reconstruction of the University Parkway interchange at Interstate 75, as they wait to hear whether the region will win the right to host the World Rowing Championship in 2017.

The project would span 3.5 miles north of Fruitville Road to north of University Parkway...

QuoteLast spring, engineers recommended a "diverging diamond" structure for the interchange, but no money was available for its construction.

"We're going to do the ultimate interchange for University Parkway," FDOT project engineer Kevin Ingle told the MPO at the time.

brickbuilder711

Construction pics on SR 951 - SR 84 concurrency between Davis Rd (84 west) and I-75 (84 east)

Looks like FDOT is fancying triple lefts in this area, adding them at multiple points in this area.

Eastbound @ Intersection

Turning left - I was riding shotgun so I was able to shoot looking south. Note the completed onramp.

NB @ I-75

realjd

Has SWFL always used horizontal signals? It seems like CFL and NEFL are the few holdouts with vertical signals.

FLRoads

Quote from: realjd on July 31, 2013, 03:54:11 PM
Has SWFL always used horizontal signals? It seems like CFL and NEFL are the few holdouts with vertical signals.

Its always been a mix of vertical and horizontal signals. There was a long period where they were all vertical, at least until 2004. From that point forward more got horizontal, a likely result of the loss of a lot of signals from the hurricanes. They are more prevalent in Lee and Collier counties than they are in Charlotte, Sarasota, and Manatee.

FLRoads

A Draft EIS has been approved by the Coast Guard for a new bridge crossing Manatee River east of I-75 and Bradenton. The proposed alignment will link Upper Manatee River Road with Fort Hamer Road and provide a connection between Florida 64 and U.S. 301 near Parrish. Information on the study can be found at the Fort Hamer Bridge website and at the U.S. Coast Guard website.

Originally planned as a four-lane roadway for the entire stretch, plans have been scaled back to just a two-lane road connecting U.S. 301 with Florida 64. A Final EIS must be approved before moving forth with Right-of-Way acquisition and construction.

xcellntbuy

I see the new traffic signals also have the safety yellow-outlined back plates that have been popping up in Broward County over the past few years. 

roadman65

Quote from: xcellntbuy on August 09, 2013, 09:36:51 AM
I see the new traffic signals also have the safety yellow-outlined back plates that have been popping up in Broward County over the past few years. 
They're popping up in Orange County as well.  I was wondering about them and the purpose for them.  It kind of reminds me of Ontario that uses complete yellow back plates.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoadsGuy

I believe it is the latest MUTCD that is requiring all traffic signals to have the reflective border as I have been seeing various county and city DOTs along with the state installing it on new signal or improved installions. 

And in Southwest FL it is just Collier County with its dark green pole masts that are all horizontal as Lee County uses almost always wire span and Cape Coral always uses unpainted masts both all vertical.
---
Gene Janczynskyi
in Cape Coral, FL

Big John

^^ The 2009 MUTCD had introduced the reflective yellow border as an option.  It is currently not required.

Alex

University Parkway interchange improvements unlikely before rowing championships

QuoteIt looks more and more likely Manatee residents will have to wait until after a possible World Rowing Championship to see improvements to the interchange linking University Parkway and Interstate 75.

The heavily congested interchange is expected to see more cars thanks to the regional draw of Mall at University Town Center coming online in October 2014 and a possible World Rowing Championship in 2017 -- if the region wins the bid Monday.
QuoteThe I-75 project is in the preliminary engineering phase, which is expected to be finished in April 2016, and right-of-way acquisitions and construction remain unfunded. Construction costs were estimated at $49 million by FDOT.

Alex

State Road 64 construction delayed as businesses are impacted

QuoteWet weather has delayed the completion of construction along State Road 64 in east Bradenton.

The Florida Department of Transportation project begins west of Carlton Arms Boulevard and extends to the west of Interstate 75. It includes the widening of the road from four lanes to six as well as resurfacing it.

Construction was scheduled to be completed by the end of August. However, an addition of 16 holidays and 55 weather days to the construction contract has pushed back the estimated completion to late October or early November, according to FDOT spokeswoman Trudy Gerena.

Alex

Traffic concerns grow over University Parkway interchange in Manatee-Sarasota

It won't be ready in time for the opening of the adjacent University Town Center luxury mall in October 2014, and probably not even in time for the start of the 2017 World Rowing Championships coming to the still-under-construction rowing facility at Nathan Benderson Park, both of which are expected to bring thousands of additional cars to the area.

But Manatee and Sarasota officials are already expressing their concerns over the interchange, an estimated $49 million Florida Department of Transportation project that still doesn't have funding for construction and that would also require additional roadway improvements paid for by the local governments.

In a study released in May, FDOT acknowledged that when finished, the interchange will have a much higher capacity than adjoining roadways, with University Parkway being widened from six lanes to 10. The speed limit would be reduced from 45 mph to 35 mph, creating a potential bottleneck if the nearby intersections can't handle the backup

Alex

Surveys: People favor repairing Cortez Bridge over replacement

QuoteThe issue at a ManaSota-88 meeting Wednesday was whether the bridge, which was built to last 50 years, should be rehabilitated or replaced by either another low-level drawbridge, or a mid-level drawbridge like the one over Treasure Island or a high-level fixed bridge like Ringling Bridge in Sarasota.

Three Florida Department of Transportation officials told 10 concerned citizens in attendance the Cortez Bridge should be safe for another 10 years but a decision must be been made its future.

QuoteReed also shared results of public surveys on the Cortez Bridge taken at two venues. A total of 168 bridge surveys were returned from the Cortez Commercial Fishing Festival Feb. 16-17 with 55 percent voting for rehabilitation over replacement, Reed said. Another 36 percent voted for

replacement over rehabilitation and, of those, 34 percent voted for a high-level fixed bridge, 33 percent voted for a low-level drawbridge and 24 percent voted for a mid-level drawbridge.

At a public kickoff meeting April 30, 848 surveys were returned and rehabilitation was preferred again, 51 percent to 43 percent, Reed said.

Alex

FDOT lists $18.5M in improvements for East Manatee

QuoteFor 2014-15, FDOT has allocated funds for the following projects:

- $960,000 to add lanes at the I-75 and University Parkway interchange

- $100,000 for improvements at the I-75/State Road 64 interchange

- $960,000 to add lanes at the I-75/State Road 70 interchange

- $433,763 for intersection improvement at SR 64 and 66th Street Court East

- $666,421 for intersection improvement on SR 70 from Sixth Street East to Ninth Street East

- $286,016 for intersection improvement at U.S. 301 and 25th Drive East.

QuoteFDOT has also set aside $430,000 to add lanes at the interchange of I-75 and U.S. 301, a project slated for 2016-17. Nearly $12 million has also been set aside for resurfacing on stretches of SR 70.

Raising Sunshine Skyway Bridge could accommodate jumbo cruise ships

QuoteRaising the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, or building a new port west of it to accommodate cruise ships too large to fit under it now are among the possibilities addressed in a "pre-feasibility" study of Tampa Bay ports.

The $151,488 study of ports in Manatee County, St. Petersburg and Tampa will be finished by the end of the year, according to Robin Stublen, spokesman for the Florida Department of Transportation.

Quote"A majority of the new cruise ships being constructed today and in the future will not fit under the Skyway Bridge," Stublin emailed to the Herald. "Given the economic impact from the cruise business on the region, the (FDOT) wants to look into possibilities for mitigating possible future negative impacts on the loss of this cruise business in the region, including whether constructing a new terminal outside of the Skyway Bridge, or perhaps even raising the bridge, should be considered."

Bridges have been raised to accommodate ships, but it is a costly and time-consuming process. The road bed of Bayonne Bridge in New York, for instance, is being raised 63 feet to 215 feet in a $743.3 million project started several years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.