News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 16, 2018, 11:30:35 PM
Bertucci's is in trouble, filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy today, and closing some locations immediately, including the one in my town.  Reports say winding down business may happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bertuccis-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-pizza-chain-may-close-restaurants/ar-AAvWakP?OCID=ansmsnnews11

That's a shame. Can't say I've eaten at one since moving away from DC, though.

ThatRandomOshawott

abefroman329

Yep, which means that the Carson Pirie Scott chain is also going under.  I don't think I helped by not shopping there in decades, though.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned in the Kmart thread, but the last remaining Sears store in the city of Chicago is closing.

roadman65

Whatever happened to Morrisons and Piccadili Cafeteria's?  They both were big down south in the 90's with the former being in existence since the 60's I believe.

Also Davis Brothers also had a cafeteria set up.  They had one in Orlando on I Drive while the rest of the chain was mostly in Tennessee and also there were some in Kentucky.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2018, 04:28:42 PM
Whatever happened to Morrisons and Piccadili Cafeteria's?  They both were big down south in the 90's with the former being in existence since the 60's I believe.

I went to a Morrison's once around 1997–when a charter bus made a lunch stop around Annapolis. The following year (1998), Morrison's, which was suffering due to the declining popularity of cafeterias in general, was acquired by its chief competitor, Piccadilly.

Since then, Piccadilly has continued to close locations due to declining sales and profitability–both of its own brand and of the Morrison's locations that it had acquired–and both chains are down to a total of 41 locations (down from 273 locations total in 1998). Apparently one Morrison's branded location is still open: Springdale Plaza in Mobile.

hbelkins

My mind was jogged yesterday about a former fast-food chain called Scottie's. I'm 95 percent sure that was the spelling vs. Scotty's. Anyway, this was sort of a poor man's White Castle before Krystal came to this area. They served small hamburgers and the prevailing price, as I remember was 22 cents. There was a location near me in Irvine, Ky., and I also remember one in downtown Danville, near Centre College, back in the mid-1970s.

There was a popular rumor back in the day that the burgers were actually made of dog food and that someone had found a bunch of empty dog food cans in the garbage at one of their locations.

I understand there may be two or three of these left in Tennessee, but the spelling may vary. It may be Scotty's instead of Scottie's. If anyone has run across one of these places, please post the location. A short day trip may be in order.

(Crossposted in the "regional fast food chains" thread.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

inkyatari

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2018, 12:17:38 PM
My mind was jogged yesterday about a former fast-food chain called Scottie's. I'm 95 percent sure that was the spelling vs. Scotty's. Anyway, this was sort of a poor man's White Castle before Krystal came to this area. They served small hamburgers and the prevailing price, as I remember was 22 cents. There was a location near me in Irvine, Ky., and I also remember one in downtown Danville, near Centre College, back in the mid-1970s.

There was a popular rumor back in the day that the burgers were actually made of dog food and that someone had found a bunch of empty dog food cans in the garbage at one of their locations.

I understand there may be two or three of these left in Tennessee, but the spelling may vary. It may be Scotty's instead of Scottie's. If anyone has run across one of these places, please post the location. A short day trip may be in order.

This the place?

Caryville, TN

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2999416,-84.2209283,3a,75y,226.44h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3JN7EBnGOvqcYaCU8PJuBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hbelkins

EDIT: The one in Danville wasn't a Scottie's, but an Ollie's Trolley -- another now-defunct regional chain.

hbelkins

Quote from: inkyatari on May 30, 2018, 12:36:22 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2018, 12:17:38 PM

This the place?

Caryville, TN

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2999416,-84.2209283,3a,75y,226.44h,83.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3JN7EBnGOvqcYaCU8PJuBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not sure. The restaurants I remember were in prefab-type buildings with yellow and orange panels on the walls. The one in Tennessee appears to be a more permanent structure.

This is how the one in Irvine looks now.

https://goo.gl/maps/GpTbqUB8a3t

roadman65

Amoco was one and now I heard the name BP will become defunct as on AA Roads FB page it shared an article about BP being rebranded back to Amoco.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

I hope that they bring back the logo below.

Big John

abefroman329

briantroutman

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2018, 03:53:12 PM
Amoco was one and now I heard the name BP will become defunct as on AA Roads FB page it shared an article about BP being rebranded back to Amoco.

From what I read, the BP brand isn't going away by any means. From BP's official press release:

Quote...the Amoco brand will be available to BP marketers as a complementary retail offering in cities where there could be additional growth opportunities. It also will help resolve local, competitive station conflicts in markets where there may already be one or more BP stations in close proximity.

So I read this as follows: Let's say you own a BP station in Camden and someone else owns a franchise in Cherry Hill. And you'd like to open a BP station in Cherry Hill, but the guy who already owns the BP franchise in Cherry Hill has a contract stating that he has exclusive rights to operate stations under the BP trademark in Cherry Hill. So to get around this limitation, BP sells you the right to open an Amoco-branded station in Cherry Hill–still selling the same BP fuel. Basically, it's a loophole that makes their new contract with you technically consistent with their old contract their with the other guy, even if it is a violation of it in spirit.

jon daly

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jon daly on May 30, 2018, 04:28:24 PM
Boo to that logo.

It looks almost exactly like the old one. What's wrong with it?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jon daly

The color scheme. Plus, as abe points out, it looks too Deeply Horizon.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on May 30, 2018, 04:35:23 PM
The color scheme.

Yeah, it's a little too 1970s.  The colors remind me of the old Continental Airlines logo.

roadman65

I cant think of its name but in Bucks County, PA there was a store called Clover (not the defunct Strawbridge and Clover) but a small five and dime that used the name clover.  There was one at the former end of the Trenton Freeway near Morrisville where US 1 Business now ends at its parent since the Oxford Valley Bypass was extended.

I believe some existed in NJ (primarily way South Jersey) but cannot be sure.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 30, 2018, 04:29:25 PM

This old vs. new Amoco logo is a good object lesson in how details matter. In this case, yes, they basically started out with the old logo and kept adding gratuitous swooshes and gradients until they got to a point where some guy in a suit said "Yeah...that looks "˜now'" .

For what it's worth, the audience (mostly professional graphic designers) over at Under Consideration gave this logo redesign a decisive thumbs down: 58% rating it as "Bad" , 29% as a mediocre "Fine" , and only 13% as "Great" , which is about as low as ratings on that site ever get.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2018, 04:54:56 PM
I cant think of its name but in Bucks County, PA there was a store called Clover (not the defunct Strawbridge and Clover)...

Did you mean Strawbridge and Clothier?

roadman65

Quote from: briantroutman on May 30, 2018, 05:03:49 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 30, 2018, 04:29:25 PM

This old vs. new Amoco logo is a good object lesson in how details matter. In this case, yes, they basically started out with the old logo and kept adding gratuitous swooshes and gradients until they got to a point where some guy in a suit said “Yeah...that looks ‘now’”.

For what it’s worth, the audience (mostly professional graphic designers) over at Under Consideration gave this logo redesign a decisive thumbs down: 58% rating it as “Bad”, 29% as a mediocre “Fine”, and only 13% as “Great”, which is about as low as ratings on that site ever get.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 30, 2018, 04:54:56 PM
I cant think of its name but in Bucks County, PA there was a store called Clover (not the defunct Strawbridge and Clover)...

Did you mean Strawbridge and Clothier?

No it was called Clover.  Not the famous one you mention here, it was like a Kmart or Caldor (if you are from the North Jersey or SE New York you would have known that one) and it usually was in a typical outdoor strip.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

This old vs. new Amoco logo is a good object lesson in how details matter. In this case, yes, they basically started out with the old logo and kept adding gratuitous swooshes and gradients until they got to a point where some guy in a suit said "Yeah...that looks "˜now'" .

For what it's worth, the audience (mostly professional graphic designers) over at Under Consideration gave this logo redesign a decisive thumbs down: 58% rating it as "Bad" , 29% as a mediocre "Fine" , and only 13% as "Great" , which is about as low as ratings on that site ever get.

Yeah, what he said. At the risk of digressing even further, I don't like Pepsi (or soda generally, like malls these are childish things that I've mainly discarded) but I applaud them for bringing back the old logo.

jon daly

I forgot that Amoco descended from Standard and that their logo has a similar oval shape to the old Esso oval.

Brandon

Quote from: jon daly on May 31, 2018, 12:45:25 PM
I forgot that Amoco descended from Standard and that their logo has a similar oval shape to the old Esso oval.

Actually, Amoco is Standard Oil Of Indiana and has little to so with Standard Oil of New Jersey (Esso/Exxon) after 1911.

Indiana Standard history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco  https://web.archive.org/web/19980212074422/http://www.amoco.com/what_we_do/ss/library/t_and_o.html
1961-70 Logo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco#/media/File:1961%E2%80%931970_Standard_Oil_of_Indiana_logo.jpg
Maintaining the trademark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoco#/media/File:Bpstandarddurand.jpg
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Amoco in NJ was called American brand before the late 70's.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.