News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Defunct restaurant chains and retailers

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 05, 2016, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenExpwy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2018, 07:57:29 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 30, 2018, 10:37:03 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 30, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
Why is Boston Market still around?

Why wouldn't they be? While I don't personally go there, there's nothing wrong with them.

They were a bit on the fence in the 1990's, especially when they expanded from Boston Chicken to Boston Market, but actually rebounded nicely and serve a quality product.  They probably were a little bit ahead of their time when fast food was still the go-to takeout food, but when the fast-casual type restaurants started infiltrating the market, such as Chipotles and Panara Breads, Boston Market fell right into line with them.

As I recall, it was the dazzling, red-hot growth chain of the late 1980s / early '90s, because it made rotisserie chicken a Big Thing. Then in the late '90s every supermarket in the United States added an in-store rotisserie, which sucked the life out of Boston Market.

abefroman329

Quote from: GenExpwy on January 01, 2019, 02:51:36 AM

Why wouldn't they be? While I don't personally go there, there's nothing wrong with them.

They were a bit on the fence in the 1990's, especially when they expanded from Boston Chicken to Boston Market, but actually rebounded nicely and serve a quality product.  They probably were a little bit ahead of their time when fast food was still the go-to takeout food, but when the fast-casual type restaurants started infiltrating the market, such as Chipotles and Panara Breads, Boston Market fell right into line with them.

As I recall, it was the dazzling, red-hot growth chain of the late 1980s / early '90s, because it made rotisserie chicken a Big Thing. Then in the late '90s every supermarket in the United States added an in-store rotisserie, which sucked the life out of Boston Market.
Hey, at least they found a way to survive, as compared to Kenny Rogers Roasters.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 07:15:49 AM

As I recall, it was the dazzling, red-hot growth chain of the late 1980s / early ’90s, because it made rotisserie chicken a Big Thing. Then in the late ’90s every supermarket in the United States added an in-store rotisserie, which sucked the life out of Boston Market.
Hey, at least they found a way to survive, as compared to Kenny Rogers Roasters.

Roasters was pretty good but it disappeared in just a few years when I lived in Florida.

Boston Market is decent fast-casual; sometimes I don't want to wait long for food when I'm eating alone, and it's a reliable lunch spot. I tend to notice it up in the Northeast but rarely elsewhere. They have no locations near my home and they always stock a bottle of Huy Fong sriracha, so there's two reasons for me to stop when I'm on the road.

SectorZ

They filed for Chapter 11 20 years ago and have hung on despite near complete irrelevance. I've never heard someone in my life ever even utter the name, and to this day I've never been in one despite its formation being a mere 20 miles from me. I swear like Mattress Firm it's a front or something.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
My GF really likes Boston Market's meatloaf, so I pick up take-out from them about once every 4-6 weeks (would likely be more often except there's one near the hospital where she works, so she regularly gets her "fix" at lunch or dinner, depending on her shift).  Actually, IMO, that's the best thing on the menu; their chicken is a bit bland to me.  I think that the chain persists simply because it supplies "standard American" food for those wanting to stick with familiar fare -- or maybe simply as part of a "rotation" through various cuisines.   

abefroman329

Quote from: sparker on January 08, 2019, 03:49:06 AM
^^^^^^^^
My GF really likes Boston Market's meatloaf, so I pick up take-out from them about once every 4-6 weeks (would likely be more often except there's one near the hospital where she works, so she regularly gets her "fix" at lunch or dinner, depending on her shift).  Actually, IMO, that's the best thing on the menu; their chicken is a bit bland to me.  I think that the chain persists simply because it supplies "standard American" food for those wanting to stick with familiar fare -- or maybe simply as part of a "rotation" through various cuisines.   
When I would get food from there, it was always a meatloaf sandwich and a side of macaroni and cheese.

sparker

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 08, 2019, 09:38:43 AM
Quote from: sparker on January 08, 2019, 03:49:06 AM
^^^^^^^^
When I would get food from there, it was always a meatloaf sandwich and a side of macaroni and cheese.

Wow -- you're prescient!  That's her basic lunch fare at Boston Market (nobody refers to it by its initials for obvious reasons!).  Add to that an iced tea and you've got the basic package!

US71

In Arkansas news today, Minute Man is planning a return.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/minute_man_to_minute_men_a_legendary_arkansas_restaurant_franchise_plans_a_comeback/prweb16024479.htm

"Remember, when you're hungry, it only takes a Minute Man."
I'll have the Hickory Burger with no cheese, fries, and a radar pie. And a Coke.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 11:00:54 PM

https://www.prweb.com/releases/minute_man_to_minute_men_a_legendary_arkansas_restaurant_franchise_plans_a_comeback/prweb16024479.htm

I'll have the Hickory Burger with no cheese, fries, and a radar pie. And a Coke.

Radar pie? (queues that Golden Earring song)

Flint1979

Quote from: SectorZ on January 06, 2019, 02:16:39 PM

They filed for Chapter 11 20 years ago and have hung on despite near complete irrelevance. I've never heard someone in my life ever even utter the name, and to this day I've never been in one despite its formation being a mere 20 miles from me. I swear like Mattress Firm it's a front or something.
There use to be one in Bay City, MI several years ago but it's been closed for several years too. I don't think I've ever ate at a Boston Market.

jeffandnicole

Apparently Deptford, NJ is home to the one and only remaining Don Pablos!  They were down to 5 a few months ago, and it appears the other 4 closed.  Their headquarters remains in Texas, per their website.

Why is Deptford the only remaining one?  Absolutely no idea.  It's not especially busy other than during normal busy times for all restuarants, and there isn't an unusual ethnic population that would normally frequent that one.  There's very few Mexican restaurants in the area, unless you want to consider Taco Bell down the road (ironically, next to a Boston Market as we've also discussed recently).  Their other 4 restaurants which they closed were in Texas, somewhat near their headquarters!

So, I don't really foresee the Deptford location remaining around very long, but it's interesting nonetheless.  It appears their parent company is Food Management Partners http://www.foodmps.com/our-divisions/ , which has a vast portfolio of restaurants, although many of them have had closures recently.

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 16, 2019, 11:33:15 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 16, 2019, 11:00:54 PM

Radar pie? (queues that Golden Earring song)

One of the first restaurants to feature microwave pies

bing101

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 01, 2019, 07:15:49 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Rogers_Roasters

https://www.berjaya.com/inquiry.php

https://www.berjaya.com/food-beverage.php

As of 2019 an investment group called Berjaya of Malaysia owns the name Kenny Rogers Roasters even though they no longer exist in the USA.

D-Dey65

Anyone still seeing Toys 'R' Us signs around? Because I am.

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 24, 2019, 12:27:07 AM

Yes.

To add to the defunct (or soon to be) list: Charlotte Russe (closing), Crazy 8/Gymboree (closing), Rogers Jewelers (closing)

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on March 25, 2019, 09:40:12 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 24, 2019, 12:27:07 AM

Yes.

To add to the defunct (or soon to be) list: Charlotte Russe (closing), Crazy 8/Gymboree (closing), Rogers Jewelers (closing)

And the soon to be defunct ShopKo.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

Longstanding discount grocery chain Shoppers Food Warehouse here in the DC area will be closing their stores sometime this year after their parent company decided to leave the grocery business. I think they're the third- or fourth-largest grocery store chain in the DC area (Giant still far and away the leader, I think Safeway is second).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2019, 11:07:09 AM
Longstanding discount grocery chain Shoppers Food Warehouse here in the DC area will be closing their stores sometime this year after their parent company decided to leave the grocery business. I think they're the third- or fourth-largest grocery store chain in the DC area (Giant still far and away the leader, I think Safeway is second).
I would think they were also facing stiff competition from Aldi and Lidl.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 25, 2019, 11:10:29 AM

I don't know how stiff the competition is. There have been more Aldi stores opening, but geographically they don't seem to overlap most of the Shoppers locations, at least not the ones with which I'm familiar.

I went to an Aldi once (the one in Springfield when it first opened). Don't feel much need to go there again.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2019, 11:13:58 AM

I don't know how stiff the competition is. There have been more Aldi stores opening, but geographically they don't seem to overlap most of the Shoppers locations, at least not the ones with which I'm familiar.

I went to an Aldi once (the one in Springfield when it first opened). Don't feel much need to go there again.
I think I prefer Aldi to SFW, even though you can't necessarily get all of the groceries you need at Aldi.

There's a very SFW-esque chain here called Food4Less, although they're owned by Kroger.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 25, 2019, 11:13:58 AM

Aldi and similar grocery stores seem to have no middle ground. People either swear by it or go once and never again.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

My family does half our shopping at Aldi and half at the local Kroger iteration, depending on the grocery item.  There are plenty of items we actually prefer from Aldi, not to mention the savings.

As for not being able to get everything you need there, that's very true for our family, which is why we do half our shopping at another store.  But we're good friends with a family who makes a point to not cook with anything they can't get at Aldi.  All it takes is some creativity, I guess.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

formulanone

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 04, 2019, 12:33:51 AM
Noticed this in Fresno: Circuit City became Furniture City.  Slight reduction in technology.

On that note, changes in technology have rendered some types of furniture obsolete, or changed radically. Desks do not need to be as large as before, large cabinets for televisions and living rooms have fallen out of vogue, and telephone stands are a thing of the past. Of course, you can still re-purpose these things or press them into service for another method of holding and presenting all your stuff.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on April 04, 2019, 07:42:32 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 04, 2019, 12:33:51 AM
Noticed this in Fresno: Circuit City became Furniture City.  Slight reduction in technology.

On that note, changes in technology have rendered some types of furniture obsolete, or changed radically. Desks do not need to be as large as before, large cabinets for televisions and living rooms have fallen out of vogue, and telephone stands are a thing of the past. Of course, you can still re-purpose these things or press them into service for another method of holding and presenting all your stuff.

On the other hand, many pieces of furniture have quite a bit of modern technology in them.  Many recliners are electric, with both foot rests and head tilting features.  USB ports are common, and some integrate outlets into storage areas.  One nice couch I saw recently has massaging capabilities and chilled cup holders as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.