News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cuomo Signs

Started by machias, October 21, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: jakeroot on October 01, 2018, 11:01:06 PM
Path through history...is that a reference to the train downstate?

Nope. It's just general history stuff.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

seicer

It hinged more on the listing of the app and website on a highway sign, and the use of a script font.

kalvado

Quote from: formulanone on October 01, 2018, 10:26:20 PM
PRONOUN IMPORTANT INTERNAL ORGAN STATE ABBREVIATION eat our cheese

They're a bit unsightly (why not just one blue sign per major city?) but I really don't see the big deal. There's already websites for road construction, traffic, toll information, and other travel things. It's no more unsightly than a billboard, which is even larger.

There's almost nothing to visually distract you along most of the Thruway, anyhow.

When the signs did come up, my main complaint was that it was done VERY inefficiently. Replacement due to bad colors, crews doing installation on weekends, extreme rush.
And to add insult to injury - I did check out the app at some point. As useless as it gets. Maybe it improved, but my humble opinion is that entire thing was not aimed at promoting tourism or anything like that. Single person ego, thats it. 

formulanone

Quote from: kalvado on October 02, 2018, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 01, 2018, 10:26:20 PM
PRONOUN IMPORTANT INTERNAL ORGAN STATE ABBREVIATION eat our cheese

They're a bit unsightly (why not just one blue sign per major city?) but I really don't see the big deal. There's already websites for road construction, traffic, toll information, and other travel things. It's no more unsightly than a billboard, which is even larger.

There's almost nothing to visually distract you along most of the Thruway, anyhow.

When the signs did come up, my main complaint was that it was done VERY inefficiently. Replacement due to bad colors, crews doing installation on weekends, extreme rush.
And to add insult to injury - I did check out the app at some point. As useless as it gets. Maybe it improved, but my humble opinion is that entire thing was not aimed at promoting tourism or anything like that. Single person ego, thats it. 

I didn't realize there were that many of them until I'd spent a week between Buffalo and Utica. I can understand mounting a few by some of New York's most-travelled borders, and then rest go up over time or as re-signing projects warrant. Just seems weird that some sudden major effort went into something like this, rather than a gradual introduction.

Seemed like a good idea, just like the blue services / hotels / attractions signs, but taken to excess.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on October 02, 2018, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 01, 2018, 11:01:06 PM
Path through history...is that a reference to the train downstate?

Or the Erie Canal? Not sure.

I believe it's just the general idea of taking a trip through/to the state's various historic sites and attractions.

On another note, I was a bit surprised to actually see some of these signs deployed at a NYC subway station (42nd St—Bryant Park, I believe).

Jim

The Cuomo signs on the Thruway eastbound between 25A and 25 were being modified/removed this morning when I drove past.

The first picture is the new version of the big sign.  The second is the crew that was just finishing taking up the last of the sequence of smaller signs that followed.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman

Quote from: Jim on November 09, 2018, 10:08:07 AM
The Cuomo signs on the Thruway eastbound between 25A and 25 were being modified/removed this morning when I drove past.

The first picture is the new version of the big sign.  The second is the crew that was just finishing taking up the last of the sequence of smaller signs that followed.

Still a pointless sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2018, 10:27:23 AM
Still a pointless sign.
Even more pointless than before. Previous ones relayed "download 'I love NY' app" - which makes some sense, even if blatnatly incompliant with regulations..

vdeane

The new version seems like a larger, graphical version of what our neighbors to the north post, albeit without the phone number.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Somehow they made it look worse.

Good job.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on November 09, 2018, 01:00:27 PM
The new version seems like a larger, graphical version of what our neighbors to the north post, albeit without the phone number.
Problem is that you need to provide an easy way to look up information (web address and phone are half way there, driver cannot write down those anyway) and still meet FHWA standards. Without such info signs quickly become totally meaningless. Or it has to be The Destination, so that no further information is required to look it up. Niagara Falls Region. Anything to add?
If there is such an urge to relay tourist info to those passing by, then it should be done where people have a minute to digest it - and hopefully look it up.

Buffaboy

That's what visitors centers are for.

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kalvado

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 09, 2018, 03:21:32 PM
That's what visitors centers are for.
Visitor centers are for those who is already on lookup for attractions. Signs are for passers by.
On the other hand, I doubt many long haul trips can be suddenly modified to go to an apple farm just 20 miles off the highway...

roadman

Quote from: kalvado on November 09, 2018, 01:16:54 PM

If there is such an urge to relay tourist info to those passing by, then it should be done where people have a minute to digest it - and hopefully look it up.

All the other states seem to manage to accomplish this fine with standard brown and blue HCR/Attractions signs.  You don't need all that extraneous special branding that NY State did with the Cuomo signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

All the other states seem to manage to accomplish this fine with standard brown and blue HCR/Attractions signs.  You don't need all that extraneous special branding that NY State did with the Cuomo signs.
You don't need it, but it's better. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeek Adam

Whatever. I wasn't a fan of the signs, but I would rather not waste more money taking them all down.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

seicer

I mean, we are federally mandated to, unless we give up more money to the Feds.

kalvado

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 14, 2018, 07:56:28 PM
Whatever. I wasn't a fan of the signs, but I would rather not waste more money taking them all down.
Signs are being modified - and I doubt that is much lower cost than taking them down. I mean, you still have to dispatch a truck, provide safety area for crews to work, provide lift to reach the signs, pay for patches to be applied...

roadman

Quote from: Rothman on November 14, 2018, 03:32:08 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 09, 2018, 11:27:26 PM

You don't need it, but it's better. :D
With respect, the special branding is simply extraneous information.  Does a driver really need to know that a restaurant is part of a special "Taste NY" branding?

kalvado

Quote from: roadman on November 15, 2018, 10:30:34 AM
With respect, the special branding is simply extraneous information.  Does a driver really need to know that a restaurant is part of a special "Taste NY" branding?
Absolutely, a regular driver can eat just one lunch in non-branded restaurant - but should be able to consume at least 3 in Taste NY ones!

vdeane

Well, the purpose of Taste NY isn't to feed travelers - it's to spread awareness of local small businesses by selling their products.  I've heard of at least one business that saw a TON of online orders from new locations they never got orders from before after they started selling in Taste NY.

(personal opinion)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mccojm

Here's a fix on Long Island... looks like garbage with the wrong color "bandaid"  stuck on the sign. *not my photo, found on fb tonight*

iPhone
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

kalvado

Quote from: Mccojm on November 15, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
Here's a fix on Long Island... looks like garbage with the wrong color "bandaid"  stuck on the sign. *not my photo, found on fb tonight*

iPhone
Given the history of these signs, expect an emergency rework order next week. Since Cuomo will be on the road doing roadside assistance tomorrow next to the sign, he would likely see that in evening news.

seicer

I always found the idea of region-specific signs to be particularly useful on parkways and scenic roads. But Interstate 86, which connects many scenic regions like the Finger Lakes and the Catskills? It has utility, traffic, and visibility. While perhaps the implementation wasn't on point and left a lot to be desired, I can see rebranded region-specific signs being implemented in the style of state-line signs. "Welcome to the Catskill Mountains" in a script font, with a scenic backdrop, would be an awesome gateway. There is precedence - National Forest gateway signs on interstates are/were in a script font.

I do have a problem with the attraction signs in general - they are illegible, much some other service signs. Take for example this aviation attractions sign. It's divided into three invisible columns, and the attractions themselves are not legible at 65 MPH. These would be better at the rebranded regional welcome centers that New York has implemented.

D-Dey65

Quote from: empirestate on October 08, 2018, 11:16:36 AM
I believe it's just the general idea of taking a trip through/to the state's various historic sites and attractions.

On another note, I was a bit surprised to actually see some of these signs deployed at a NYC subway station (42nd St—Bryant Park, I believe).
I can't imagine why, since there's enough history within the vicinity. That's not really the only subway station in the city where you'll find such signs:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grand_Concourse_HD_Path_Through_History_@_167th_Street-Jerome.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flushing-Main_Street;_IRT_Flushing;_Path_Through_History.jpg

New link:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/state-says-i-love-ny-signs-have-been-removed-by-deadline/ar-BBPWUFA?ocid=spartandhp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.