News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Arizona DOT advertised sign rehabilitation/replacement contracts

Started by J N Winkler, January 06, 2017, 12:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

As I write, ADOT has a couple of signing contracts under advertisement:

H870301C--I-40 from Crookton to former US 66 in Williams

T002201C--Small signs (locally maintained roadways) in Superior

(The project-specific URLs should continue to work for some time after bid opening, though ADOT started uploading letting plans to the Web only in 2016 and it is unclear whether they intend to maintain a permanent online archive like Caltrans, Illinois DOT, and several other peer state DOTs do.)

Rollback of Clearview appears fitful so far.  The Superior small-signs job uses FHWA exclusively (all of the designable signs are street name blades), but the I-40 one uses Clearview for most of the large sign panels, with FHWA series for bridge-mounted road name signs and for isolated examples of mainline and crossroad signs.  The guide-sign section of MOAS (which ADOT uses as a vehicle for conveying templates for designable signs) does reflect the new standard of mixed-case unmodified Series E for primary destination legend on freeway guide signs, but most of the relevant drawings have last-revised dates of December 2016.  I have fallen out of date with MOAS, so I do not know if the immediately superseded versions also had Series E.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DJStephens

Arizona DOT seems to be still utilizing all clearview on new installations - such as on the Loop 303 and I-10 widening west of Phoenix.  Slowly getting more used to it, although it still does not seem standardized.  There is a sign on I-8 westbound approaching Gila Bend, that is simply hideous, wish had a pic of it to post here.   

ztonyg

There are a few Series E signs that have gone up in Phoenix recently.

The last sign on N/B I-17 at Bethany Home Rd (with the down Exit Only arrow) is a new Series E sign.

The Exit 149 Sky Harbor 1/4 Mile sign on E/B I-10 is a newer Series E sign.

On E/B Loop 202 the Exit 7 Scottsdale Rd Rural Rd 1 mile sign and on W/B Loop 202 the Exit 5 To 143 South Sky Harbor Exit Only sign (both affixed to the Center Parkway overpass) are also newer Series E signs.

Pink Jazz

I know it took a while for logo signs to drop Clearview, with the switchover occurring sometime in the spring of last year (sometime around May).  Some logo signs may actually have a mixture of both Clearview and FHWA as service types are added to them, and even some newer installs may still have some service types in Clearview since ADOT probably kept a stock of plaques with the different service types for new installations without having to fabricate new ones every time a new logo sign goes up or when a service type is added to an existing sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.