AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: I-15/US 93 Garnet interchange to be rebuilt; 93 to be 4-laned  (Read 7683 times)

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
I-15/US 93 Garnet interchange to be rebuilt; 93 to be 4-laned
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »

https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/state-moving-ahead-with-a-57-8m-freeway-project-near-apex/

Ames Construction will widen a 5-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 93 from Interstate 15 to Apex Power Parkway in North Las Vegas, under a contract awarded Monday morning by the Nevada Department of Transportation’s board of directors.

Work is expected to start by March on the Garnet interchange, and completed by the end of 2018.

... NDOT officials said they are still pushing ahead with the project because U.S. 93 interchange at I-15 was built to substandard specifications and is prone to flooding. Additionally, the Garnet interchange is part of a major hauling route for truckers, and NDOT officials said they hope to see growth soon at the adjacent Apex complex.

Project website: https://www.nevadadot.com/projects-programs/road-projects/i-15-u-s-93-garnet-interchange-u-s-93-capacity-improvements

Sub-Urbanite

• Think critically

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:20:52 PM
Re: I-15/US 93 Garnet interchange to be rebuilt; 93 to be 4-laned
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »

Good. The stretch of 93 from I-15 to the Pahranagat Valley is treacherous. Two lanes, 70 mph, lots of dips and ravines making passing hard. Every bit chipped away as 2+2 is a win for safety.

Kniwt

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 01:50:15 AM »

Kick because the project is getting underway:
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/jan/02/58-million-freeway-enhancement-planned-for-nlv-nea/

And of note because there's going to be a rather unusual DDI as part of the project:
https://www.nevadadot.com/projects-programs/road-projects/i-15-u-s-93-garnet-interchange-u-s-93-capacity-improvements

Holy shit!  It's a DDI; no, it's a roundabout; no it's a reverse roundabout; uhhh....it's a reverse roundabout after a trip through a table vise with half a DDI tacked on.  Let's hope there's sufficient traffic out in that neck of the woods to warrant such a convoluted interchange!  :crazy:

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »

Holy shit!  It's a DDI; no, it's a roundabout; no it's a reverse roundabout; uhhh....it's a reverse roundabout after a trip through a table vise with half a DDI tacked on.  Let's hope there's sufficient traffic out in that neck of the woods to warrant such a convoluted interchange!  :crazy:

Not too much traffic out that way at the present moment, but expected to be in the future. They're four-laning the first few miles off of US 93 primarily because this area is expected to become part of the Apex Industrial Park. It's where the Faraday Future car production factory was supposed to locate. Despite the Faraday plant not happening now, the road improvements are moving forward. So it's a similar situation to Tesla locating in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Complex east of Reno that spurred NDOT to fast-track completion of SR 439 down to US 50.

The design certainly seems weird, but it's kind of an elegant solution that preserves existing frontage road access (and facilitates the frontage road that will be constructed along US 93 in the area) as well as access to whatever is on the northeast side of that interchange. Operationally, the single DDI crossover point is the only spot in the interchange where major movements might have to stop, so it looks decently efficient.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Kniwt

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:05:49 PM »

whatever is on the northeast side of that interchange.

Big honkin' landfill.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/07/mountains-garbage/
The biggest landfill in the U.S. is tucked away in a narrow valley in the Apex area an hour north of Las Vegas, just off Interstate 15 but not visible from the freeway. ... It does faintly stink, but not as bad as one might expect, considering it stores nearly 50 million tons of rotting trash. Another 9,000 tons or so rolls in every day.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:25:16 PM by Kniwt »

roadfro

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »

whatever is on the northeast side of that interchange.

Big honkin' landfill.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/dec/07/mountains-garbage/
The biggest landfill in the U.S. is tucked away in a narrow valley in the Apex area an hour north of Las Vegas, just off Interstate 15 but not visible from the freeway. ... It does faintly stink, but not as bad as one might expect, considering it stores nearly 50 million tons of rotting trash. Another 9,000 tons or so rolls in every day.

So that's where the Apex landfill is. I always thought it was further south (near the actual interchange called Apex).

In that case, the proposed design/access on the east side of the interchange makes even more sense, as it should result in slightly smoother access for all the garbage trucks going in and out.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »

NDOT posted an animation to their YouTube channel, which shows how traffic will flow through the interchange.

DJStephens

• Last Login: Today at 01:11:36 AM
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:02:45 PM »

Not too much traffic out that way at the present moment, but expected to be in the future. They're four-laning the first few miles off of US 93 primarily because this area is expected to become part of the Apex Industrial Park. It's where the Faraday Future car production factory was supposed to locate. Despite the Faraday plant not happening now, the road improvements are moving forward. So it's a similar situation to Tesla locating in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Complex east of Reno that spurred NDOT to fast-track completion of SR 439 down to US 50.

The design certainly seems weird, but it's kind of an elegant solution that preserves existing frontage road access (and facilitates the frontage road that will be constructed along US 93 in the area) as well as access to whatever is on the northeast side of that interchange. Operationally, the single DDI crossover point is the only spot in the interchange where major movements might have to stop, so it looks decently efficient.

By the aerial photo - it appears that interchange is nearly vacant around it.  Why not go full blown fully directional with flyovers, with ROW preservation for connection(s) to frontage?   This does involve connection of a US Federal route and an Interstate.   

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sparker

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »

By the aerial photo - it appears that interchange is nearly vacant around it.  Why not go full blown fully directional with flyovers, with ROW preservation for connection(s) to frontage?   This does involve connection of a US Federal route and an Interstate.   

Since the improvement of US 93 in the area is primarily for the benefit of local access rather than to the longer-distance highway heading north, revising the I-15/US 93 interchange to a full freeway-to-freeway facility probably wasn't even considered at this time; the unique interchange configuration along US 93 to the north connects to a local arterial (and the adjacent landfill) and is likely there to avoid potential congestion along both intersecting roads -- and for safety's sake, since there will be a lot of slow-moving trucks heading to and from the dump.  I wouldn't read too much into the US 93 upgrade just yet; what's happening is locally promulgated for local use; any long-distance benefits are simply along for the ride!

roadfro

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:29:23 AM »

Since the improvement of US 93 in the area is primarily for the benefit of local access rather than to the longer-distance highway heading north, revising the I-15/US 93 interchange to a full freeway-to-freeway facility probably wasn't even considered at this time; the unique interchange configuration along US 93 to the north connects to a local arterial (and the adjacent landfill) and is likely there to avoid potential congestion along both intersecting roads -- and for safety's sake, since there will be a lot of slow-moving trucks heading to and from the dump.  I wouldn't read too much into the US 93 upgrade just yet; what's happening is locally promulgated for local use; any long-distance benefits are simply along for the ride!

Flyover ramps were considered, along with a couple other options (I believe I saw this as a presentation file attached to agenda/minutes from an NDOT Board of Directors meeting a few months ago). However, this planned configuration should more than handle the expected volumes in the vicinity for the next several years–note that the 4-lane conversion of US 93 only extends a few miles, adjacent to the planned industrial park lands.

I'd rather NDOT do something somewhat innovative like this, rather than spend money on a flyover that won't get a considerable amount of use for a long while. There's other interchange work that NDOT needs to hold onto their money for... such as completing the full build-out of CC 215 beltway interchanges at US 95 and at northern I-15, addressing the I-515 viaduct, or rebuilding the Reno Spaghetti Bowl (which has entered the study phase).

sparker

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:53:49 PM »

...............rebuilding the Reno Spaghetti Bowl (which has entered the study phase).

So glad to see that NDOT is at least studying improvements for this interchange; it may have been fine in the '70's when it was built (when Reno was barely 100K population), but now that the area is growing, it's jammed up during commute times, particularly the loops.  We've got lots of friends scattered from Reno down to Minden, and during winter the visiting trips generally go through this interchange.  As far as I'm concerned, installing some higher-capacity flyovers and direct ramps can't come soon enough!

roadfro

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:40 AM »

...............rebuilding the Reno Spaghetti Bowl (which has entered the study phase).

So glad to see that NDOT is at least studying improvements for this interchange; it may have been fine in the '70's when it was built (when Reno was barely 100K population), but now that the area is growing, it's jammed up during commute times, particularly the loops.  We've got lots of friends scattered from Reno down to Minden, and during winter the visiting trips generally go through this interchange.  As far as I'm concerned, installing some higher-capacity flyovers and direct ramps can't come soon enough!

Realized this project hasn't really been brought up on this board, so started a new thread.

mcarling

• Last Login: January 13, 2024, 07:38:25 AM
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »

It seems from the NDOT animation that traffic from southbound US 93 to northbound I15 will have a stop sign and that traffic from northbound I15 to northbound US 93 will not have to stop.  That makes sense to me. I expect there is very little traffic from southbound US 93 to northbound I15.
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

Kniwt

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »

Although not much work has happened on I-15 yet, there's been considerable progress in grading the right of way for the US 93 expansion. Photo taken today.

roadfro

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »

New video about the interchange posted to NDOT's YouTube yesterday. It primarily illustrates how movements and turns are facilitated in all directions through the interchange (and confirms the DDI elements are stop controlled, not signalized)

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 02:08:42 PM »

New video about the interchange posted to NDOT's YouTube yesterday. It primarily illustrates how movements and turns are facilitated in all directions through the interchange (and confirms the DDI elements are stop controlled, not signalized)

I don't like the idea of leaving the DDI elements stop-controlled (especially the crossover in the upper left of the photo). Seems like that would cause a lot of accidents, since it's an unfamiliar design concept anyway.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »

I don't like the idea of leaving the DDI elements stop-controlled (especially the crossover in the upper left of the photo). Seems like that would cause a lot of accidents, since it's an unfamiliar design concept anyway.

I'm also concerned with the unregulated crosstraffic at the first intersection (Apex Crossing?) which looks to be a major accident waiting to happen. I wonder how long it will be before both are signaled.

sparker

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 04:36:37 PM »

I'm also concerned with the unregulated crosstraffic at the first intersection (Apex Crossing?) which looks to be a major accident waiting to happen. I wonder how long it will be before both are signaled.

Also, it's a bit strange to have the through movement of NB US 93 needing to stop at the north apex of the DDI rather than the SB 93/NB 15 movement, which would seem to be less vital than the through NB movement.  That LH channelization from SB 93 could easily be channeled/separated from the through SB lanes to effect a safe lane in which to stop.  The lack of signalization is likely due to cost-cutting; I'd guess that within a couple of years (shorter if there are multiple incidents) signals will be installed.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »

It's a SB stop, which makes sense so that traffic coming off the interstate doesn't queue back onto the ramp. That one I'm on board with. I would also call this an English interchange more than a DDI.

(edited to modify directionality, since the side I originally called NB really faces due east I had no idea whether it was truly north or south)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:30:45 PM by Alps »

sparker

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 01:37:57 AM »

NB stop makes sense so that traffic coming off the interstate doesn't queue back onto the ramp. That one I'm on board with. I would also call this an English interchange more than a DDI.

The way this illustration depicts the stop signs is indeed confusing; an initial look shows the sign aimed directly at traffic coming from NB I-15/US 93 on to the continuation of NB 93.  However, the signs as shown seem to be always on the right side of the affected lane(s), which would mean that, contrary to my original observation, the sign is actually on the lane coming from SB US 93 to both NB I-15 and the frontage road on the east side of that freeway -- and that the direct NB US 93 move is the nonstop direction through the DDI apex, which would essentially obviate any queueing onto the NB 15>NB 93 ramp.  Not the best example of illustration; the STOP octagon should be shown with the lettering at an approximately correct angle facing the oncoming SB 93 traffic intending to turn north on I-15 or continue on to the frontage road.  Took a bit of staring at the illustration/map -- and "defocusing" on the sign direction depicted but rather the placement.  Still think stop signs are a "stop-gap" (no pun intended) measure, and signals won't be too far off!     

roadfro

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

Keep in mind that the dominant movements at this interchange are essentially following US 93 (NB 15/93 > NB 93 and SB 93 > SB 15/93). These movements are free flowing.

The other dominant movement will likely be between Las Vegas and the Republic Services landfill. The northbound movement is a free flow, while the the southbound has one stop.

I'm not understanding which spot you're talking about. Every intersection or crossing has a stop or yield control.

NB stop makes sense so that traffic coming off the interstate doesn't queue back onto the ramp. That one I'm on board with. I would also call this an English interchange more than a DDI.

The way this illustration depicts the stop signs is indeed confusing; an initial look shows the sign aimed directly at traffic coming from NB I-15/US 93 on to the continuation of NB 93.  However, the signs as shown seem to be always on the right side of the affected lane(s), which would mean that, contrary to my original observation, the sign is actually on the lane coming from SB US 93 to both NB I-15 and the frontage road on the east side of that freeway -- and that the direct NB US 93 move is the nonstop direction through the DDI apex, which would essentially obviate any queueing onto the NB 15>NB 93 ramp.  Not the best example of illustration; the STOP octagon should be shown with the lettering at an approximately correct angle facing the oncoming SB 93 traffic intending to turn north on I-15 or continue on to the frontage road.  Took a bit of staring at the illustration/map -- and "defocusing" on the sign direction depicted but rather the placement.  Still think stop signs are a "stop-gap" (no pun intended) measure, and signals won't be too far off!     

Yeah, the stop/yield sign illustrations are a bit misleading, as it seems they are always oriented to face the "camera" as opposed to being oriented relative to the animated traffic that it would apply to. But note that the graphics depict each stop location with a stop line marked on the pavement. The video animation clearly shows how vehicles will stop or be free flow when you watch it, as well as the narration indicates where movements will stop or be free flow.

Keep in mind they're building this in anticipation of a potential industrial complex going in along US 93. Buildout of this center is still a ways off, and will be incrementally piecemeal–NDOT is attempting to get ahead of it. Current traffic counts (2016 data) along US 93 just north of the interchange is about 3000 AADT. So as to signals, I don't think signalization is incredibly imminent at the moment but I can potentially see the crossover needing signalization well down the line as the industrial complexes come on line.

sparker

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »

Yeah -- was in a bit of a hurry when I first looked at the DDI interchange picture; finally got around to the video presentation.  NDOT actually did a very thorough job with the video; covered just about every conceivable question (my aging eyes failed to notice that the west frontage road on I-15 was actually the extension of N. Las Vegas Blvd).  And I do concur that until such time as (a) the industrial parks expand significantly, and/or (b) traffic to & from US 93 increases substantially that the present situation, with stop signs deployed as pictured, is probably adequate.  But if traffic increases on US 93, it might be that signalization would simply be an intermediate "stopgap" measure; that grade separation (including the DDI "apex") might be considered as a long-term improvement.

roadfro

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

Update: This project was completed yesterday.

New interchange opens to traffic on I-15 in North Las Vegas, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 12/13/18
The 16-month, $63 million project officially concluded Thursday with officials touting the changes, which include a modified diverging diamond interchange at Interstate 15 and U.S. Highway 93 near North Las Vegas and the widening of a 5-mile stretch of U.S. 93.

The interchange was built using a design-build method that fast-tracked the process, surpassing expectations of even Nevada Department of Transportation director Rudy Malfabon.

One interesting thing on the article page is that the interchange rendering provided looks nothing like the part-DDI displayed in the video above and on the project website...I think the article photo is wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.