AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Headlines About California Highways in October 2017  (Read 2159 times)

cahwyguy

• California Highway Guy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:53:08 PM
    • California Highways
Headlines About California Highways in October 2017
« on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:42 PM »

Here is the link to my blog post about October California headlines. I've also included the links to Max's posts on the Surewhynot blog as I see them (hey, they come across my RSS feed, and that counts). I've also remodeled my blog, so hopefully you like the new look.

http://cahighways.org/wordpress/?p=13553

Ready, set, comment.
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:55:49 PM
Re: Headlines About California Highways in October 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:44:38 AM »

Hmmmm. More and more anti Freeway sentiments.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »

It was nice to see Pfeiffer Canyon back open even the bridge design is a little bland.  That project was really rushed and it only was delayed for a short time over the original early October opening projection.  I just wish that I had time to go all the way down to Gorda when I saw the new bridge a week after opening.

The Muir Woods-Stinson Beach section of 1 kind of vexes me.  The Panoramic Highway always seemed like was the better aligned roadway up in the hills than the coastal route ever was.  Really it wasn't much of a detour back in February, I would speculate Panoramic was actually the faster route.

I didn't know Great Highway was in that much trouble from erosion.  Makes me glad that I actually got some pictures this year before some of those closures start to take effect.  Too bad, it was part of my route that I took to get into downtown without having to use a major route like I-280 or US 101.

Interesting that there is actually an effort to preserve the Piedras Blancas Motel.  I thought for sure the site was doomed with the realignment inland for 1.  Recently when I drove by there was a SLO County Sheriff Car parked there to deter vandals from approaching the buildings. 

In regards to my own road blogs, I'm debating whether or not to try to do the rest of the 2017 travels or not.  If I end up actually doing so, it will obviously include a ton of California Highways of all varieties.  I'm finding that it is much easier to gather my thoughts more or less in the moment than it is in retrospect.  So I'll see, I imagine the typical winter boredom will set in and I'll get motivated to do it.

TheStranger

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:40 AM
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

I didn't know Great Highway was in that much trouble from erosion.  Makes me glad that I actually got some pictures this year before some of those closures start to take effect.  Too bad, it was part of my route that I took to get into downtown without having to use a major route like I-280 or US 101.

I've driven that southern portion of Great Highway at least once a week for most of the last few months and the sand intrusion onto the roadway (which has already been narrowed to 2 lanes, rather than the 4 it had for years) is evident more often than before.  I'll be sad to see that stretch go, though it isn't as scenic as the remaining portion from Sloat to Point Lobos.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »

I've driven that southern portion of Great Highway at least once a week for most of the last few months and the sand intrusion onto the roadway (which has already been narrowed to 2 lanes, rather than the 4 it had for years) is evident more often than before.  I'll be sad to see that stretch go, though it isn't as scenic as the remaining portion from Sloat to Point Lobos.

I guess the concrete barriers aren't working like intended?  The last time I went through was back in February after all the winter rains had largely stopped:

IMG_4098 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

I would imagine all that rain water did a decent job keeping the sand away for a time.  Pretty much all other times I've been the southbound lanes south from Sloat it had at least some sand on them. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.