AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: CA 75  (Read 3649 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 07:44:44 AM
    • Gribblenation
CA 75
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

Did a recent throwback road blog on CA 75 which of course includes all the typical map research I normally do.  I know CA 75 wasn't one of the original Signed State Routes but I do see it on a 1938 State Highway Map.  Unfortunately my map references prior to 1938 don't show state highway numbers, does anyone know when 75 first became a signed route?

The 1938 Map in question is linked on said road blog:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/11/throwback-thursday-california-state.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:11:45 AM by Max Rockatansky »

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
Re: CA 75 Mystery
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:39:03 PM »

Checking back on old San Diego insert maps, a 1936 edition doesn't show SSR 75 as signed (but it does show the U.S. highways + SSR 94) , whereas the 1940 edition does.  So your estimation of 1938 is likely correct.  The 1940 map also showed an extension of US 80 to Point Loma as well after multiplexing with US 101 through downtown San Diego.   

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
CA 75
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:11:25 AM »

I went back and heavily revised my previous CA 75 blog after unexpectedly revisiting it this year.  I added much more information regarding recent route relinquishment in Imperial Beach pertaining to CA 75 and similar prospects in Coronado.  Really in terms of scenic value CA 75 is highly underrated in my opinion.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2017/11/throwback-thursday-california-state.html

My new photo set for CA 75 can be found below:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUcmERY

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
Re: CA 75
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »

Posted another update to the blog regarding the post-1964 extension of CA 75 east over the unbuilt LRN 281.  Interestingly it doesn't look like CA 75 ever actually had a constructed segment east of I-5 before CA 117 was designated in 1976.  CA 117 was legislatively renumbered to CA 905 in 1985 but it doesn't appear replacing the former on State Highway Maps until 1988.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:00:00 PM »

I'm surprised the USN allowed the Coronado Bridge to be built. The Navy's presence in Norfolk is why the Hampton Roads region has so many tunnels. (So a destroyed bridge doesn't block access to/from the harbor.) I found it interesting that you mention efforts to retoll the bridge to build a tunnel. This is the first I had heard of that.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »

I'm surprised the USN allowed the Coronado Bridge to be built. The Navy's presence in Norfolk is why the Hampton Roads region has so many tunnels. (So a destroyed bridge doesn't block access to/from the harbor.) I found it interesting that you mention efforts to retoll the bridge to build a tunnel. This is the first I had heard of that.

The way I’m to understand it Caltrans is trying to get a tunnel built directly to the  Air Station and essentially relinquish all of 75 sans the Coronado Bridge.  From a traffic count perspective the tunnel makes sense given so many cars clog up CA 75 and CA 282 in the City of Coronado.  Having 20,000 plus cars on those surface roads certainly isn’t doing anyone any favors.  Interestingly San Diego Bay is very shallow, it kind makes me curious how deep a tunnel would have to be since so many Naval ships pass by. 

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 06:38:08 PM »

Max, do you know why the bridge has a concrete divider on it that almost covers a white dashed line?  I see two lanes in one direction and three the other.  My guess is that the bridge was originally a 6-lane affair and that due to wrecks, one direction lost one lane so the concrete divider could be installed.

Boy was it a cloudy day when you took those photos but even so, the beauty of Coronado shows through.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »

Max, do you know why the bridge has a concrete divider on it that almost covers a white dashed line?  I see two lanes in one direction and three the other.  My guess is that the bridge was originally a 6-lane affair and that due to wrecks, one direction lost one lane so the concrete divider could be installed.

Boy was it a cloudy day when you took those photos but even so, the beauty of Coronado shows through.

Rick

It’s actually a moveable barrier that gets switched during rush hour.  In the morning there are three lanes of traffic heading south while at night it is moved to three lanes northbound.  I believe (and I’m not 100% certain if remember correct) that the bridge originally had just four travel lanes.

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »

^^^
That matches my recollection growing up.

nexus73

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:35:30 AM »

Rick

It’s actually a moveable barrier that gets switched during rush hour.  In the morning there are three lanes of traffic heading south while at night it is moved to three lanes northbound.  I believe (and I’m not 100% certain if remember correct) that the bridge originally had just four travel lanes.

How do these barriers move?  In the pix they look pretty dang heavy and rather stationary.  Are there signs saying "Caution; Barriers May Be Moving" or somesuch message? 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:09:46 AM »

Rick

How do these barriers move?  In the pix they look pretty dang heavy and rather stationary.  Are there signs saying "Caution; Barriers May Be Moving" or somesuch message? 

Rick

The bridge has a zipper machine:

nexus73

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »

Rick

Rick

Amazing to think just one truck can haul all that!  Thanks for the video Max.

Rick

SoCal Kid

• Last Login: August 11, 2020, 05:41:27 PM
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »

Rick

Rick

Zipper machines! Man this looks so cool lol, didnt know that was a thing
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »

Rick

Rick

Zipper machines! Man this looks so cool lol, didnt know that was a thing

I did capture the Coronado Bridge Zipper sitting idle on the northbound trip:

https://flic.kr/p/2eo8WVn

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »

Zippers are great to allow for reversing a high speed road.  I know they exist in many places. 

I wish they'd go on the golden gate bridge, it be nice to have more than cones to separate traffic.  But I don't think there's enough room.

Nexus 5X

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »

Zippers are great to allow for reversing a high speed road.  I know they exist in many places. 

I wish they'd go on the golden gate bridge, it be nice to have more than cones to separate traffic.  But I don't think there's enough room.

Nexus 5X

The Golden Gate has had one for a couple years.  I took a couple pics when I ran the bridge in 2017. 

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »

Nexus 5X

The Golden Gate has had one for a couple years.  I took a couple pics when I ran the bridge in 2017.
Good to know.  Thanks for the update.

Nexus 5X

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.