AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Mount Diablo Scenic Roads  (Read 1568 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:10 PM
    • Gribblenation
Mount Diablo Scenic Roads
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:18:13 PM »

The second part of the weekend trip was up Mount Diablo which is a 3,800 foot summit in the northern Diablo Range.  The roads ascending Mount Diablo are pretty nice and kind of have a mini Pikes Peak Highway feel:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskx3GYQB

I started out from South Gate Road, ascended Summit Road to Mount Diablo, and went back down on North Gate Road.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
Re: Mount Diablo Scenic Roads
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:03:25 AM »

Always handy when a park brochure gives clear and concise information on when roads were built.  In the case of Mount Diablo the South Gate, North Gate, and Summit Road all date back to 1874 Stage Routes:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2017/11/november-bay-trip-part-2-mount-diablo.html

Really a cool series of roadways but really having grades under 7% that far back was a hell of a feat.  I really like the open vistas on all three roads with almost no obstructions to block the view.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 10:52:19 PM
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

Used to live on the eastern edge of Concord.  At least back then (late 1990s), the change from suburbia to very rural was dramatic as you headed out of Clayton towards Mount Diablo.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »

Used to live on the eastern edge of Concord.  At least back then (late 1990s), the change from suburbia to very rural was dramatic as you headed out of Clayton towards Mount Diablo.

I'm sure if it wasn't gobbled up for State Park land it would just be a haven for wealthy home owners wanting a bedroom view of San Francisco Bay.  Those grades are way too good not really attract people to come to the area.  There was plenty of entry level cyclists making the attempt up Summit Road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.