News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic light chassis colors? (Yellow, black, etc)

Started by Dustin DeWinn, November 29, 2017, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin DeWinn

I apologize but couldn't find much info on this either in the MUTCD or online.

Why are the cases (chassis) on traffic lights predominantly yellow? I don't mean the bulb, but the case that hangs from the mast arm is either yellow, sometimes black, sometimes yellow with a black mount, and I'm sure I've seen other colors. My question is why? Is there a safety or functional reason for them to be those colors when the lights themselves are the predominant signal?

Scott5114

It's just the preference of the agency installing the signal, as far as I know. Yellow and black are the most common, but I've heard of installs using green or even blue signal heads.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cbeach40

Depends on the look you're going for. Yellow has increased visibility in and of itself. Black will provide greater contrast with the light and with the backboard. Colours such as green, blue, black (with a black backboard) are sometimes done as part of the overall street aesthetics.
and waterrrrrrr!

M3019C LPS20

Safety yellow, which is the common color for traffic signals, promotes ideal visibility, as mentioned above. It has been a favorable color for years, as many vehicular units in the old days were typically black and green. It can be pointed out that years later, many of them were repainted yellow to reflect new municipality standards and perferences, as traffic control changed with time. If you ever come across a vintage traffic signal that is yellow, there is sometimes a likely chance the original factory color will be visible within the inside of the housing. A rather neat way to tell what is original and what is not. The brush strokes, too, are good clues.

Backpanels aid in visibility of traffic signals. They usually are in use at intersections where the area blends in seemingly with everything else.

I agree with cbeach40 that miscellaneous traffic signal colors sometimes involve road aesthetics. I sometimes will see black traffic signals used in wooded regions, for example. The hardware and traffic signal controller cabinet would match as well.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on November 29, 2017, 07:03:46 PM
Safety yellow, which is the common color for traffic signals, promotes ideal visibility, as mentioned above. It has been a favorable color for years, as many vehicular units in the old days were typically black and green. It can be pointed out that years later, many of them were repainted yellow to reflect new municipality standards and perferences, as traffic control changed with time. If you ever come across a vintage traffic signal that is yellow, there is sometimes a likely chance the original factory color will be visible within the inside of the housing. A rather neat way to tell what is original and what is not. The brush strokes, too, are good clues.

Backpanels aid in visibility of traffic signals. They usually are in use at intersections where the area blends in seemingly with everything else.

I agree with cbeach40 that miscellaneous traffic signal colors sometimes involve road aesthetics. I sometimes will see black traffic signals used in wooded regions, for example. The hardware and traffic signal controller cabinet would match as well.

While this is true in NJ, many states primarly use black housings.

roadman

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on November 29, 2017, 07:03:46 PM

Since all references to recommended signal housing colors were deleted from the MUTCD (IMO, a HUGE blunder on the NCUTCD's part), most municipalities in the Boston area have been going to black housings - many on those hideously overbuilt ornamental poles -for aesthetic reasons.  It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between signal housing colors and crash rates.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

In Washington State, the vast majority of traffic lights have black housings, usually with a black backplate. Two agencies currently use yellow housings: Renton (who also paints the backside of the backplate yellow), and King County (the county that Seattle resides in). Tukwila used yellow housings for a while, as did Federal Way , but both have transitioned to the pretty-well-standard-in-this-state black-on-black with yellow retroreflective borders.

British Columbia is a bit more interesting. Signal housings historically were always black with black backplates. Signals mounted on the side lacked backplates, but were still black. At some point, and I don't really know when (I'm pretty sure it was the late 80s or early 90s), the backplate was changed to yellow (and all black backplates have disappeared from BC as far as I know). Most jurisdictions continue to use black housings with yellow backplates, but some places have transitioned from black housings to yellow housings. The most notable of these is the City of Vancouver, Coquitlam, both of which have been using yellow housings for some time now. The occasional yellow-on-yellow signal pops up randomly, but most new signals are black with yellow backplates. Some signals on Vancouver Island have yellow housings with yellow backplates overhead, but black housings with no backplates for those on poles or masts. MOT-installed signals having black housings, with yellow backplates used only for overhead signals.

BC also has, on a very limited basis, painted the signal housings, along with the mast arm and pedestrian head, very unusual colors, such as blue (below) or red:

traffic light guy

Not all yellow signals are "yellow". A lot of the older signals in my area fade to brown

jakeroot

Quote from: traffic light guy on November 30, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
Not all yellow signals are "yellow". A lot of the older signals in my area fade to brown

There's not any signals in my area that are old enough for me to have seen this first hand, but do to they fade to brown, or just a really dirty yellow?

I'm not sure what color the housings are before being painted, but fading from yellow to brown seems odd.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2017, 08:08:23 PM

There's not any signals in my area that are old enough for me to have seen this first hand, but do to they fade to brown, or just a really dirty yellow?

I'm not sure what color the housings are before being painted, but fading from yellow to brown seems odd.
Yellow Singer (yes, the same Singer that made sewing machines) signals seem to have faded from yellow to brown. The old photos I've seen of them show yellow signals while the same signals today are a brown color.

Quote from: jakeroot on November 30, 2017, 03:59:41 PM
In Washington State, the vast majority of traffic lights have black housings, usually with a black backplate. Two agencies currently use yellow housings: Renton (who also paints the backside of the backplate yellow), and King County (the county that Seattle resides in). Tukwila used yellow housings for a while, as did Federal Way , but both have transitioned to the pretty-well-standard-in-this-state black-on-black with yellow retroreflective borders.

British Columbia is a bit more interesting. Signal housings historically were always black with black backplates. Signals mounted on the side lacked backplates, but were still black. At some point, and I don't really know when (I'm pretty sure it was the late 80s or early 90s), the backplate was changed to yellow (and all black backplates have disappeared from BC as far as I know). Most jurisdictions continue to use black housings with yellow backplates, but some places have transitioned from black housings to yellow housings. The most notable of these is Coquitlam, which has been using yellow housings for some time now. The occasional yellow-on-yellow signal pops up randomly, but most new signals are black with yellow backplates. Some signals on Vancouver Island have yellow housings with yellow backplates overhead, but black housings with no backplates for those on poles or masts. MOT-installed signals having black housings, with yellow backplates used only for overhead signals.

BC also has, on a very limited basis, painted the signal housings, along with the mast arm and pedestrian head, very unusual colors, such as blue (below) or red:

Chinatown in Vancouver, BC has a few red signals in use still, with a nice bright red color on them:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2803207,-123.0998276,3a,15y,276.1h,95.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqwe-ESz5eUrEkFfdY7hIYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2804043,-123.0996604,3a,15y,62.26h,94.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scxGU8ZolKMdE2WvfgRMZbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2804043,-123.0996604,3a,15y,152.56h,93.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scxGU8ZolKMdE2WvfgRMZbA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 01, 2017, 02:00:25 AM

https://i.imgur.com/s0YhmmM.png

Chinatown in Vancouver, BC has a few red signals in use still, with a nice bright red color on them:

The only reason I didn't provide a street view link to the Chinatown signals was because, just about every time I go through there, one of the red housings gets replaced with a black or yellow housing, and I wasn't able to find a street view example where all the signals were painted red. AFAICT, Langford still installs blue and red signals (although on a very limited basis). I'm not sure why Translink/City of Vancouver won't install any more red signals. I think they look really cool.

cbeach40

An additional situation is where the backs of the signals and backplates are grey in order to reduce the visibility of those so the signals that face approaching traffic stand out more.
https://goo.gl/maps/yqCZWhQWMuH2
and waterrrrrrr!

jakeroot

Quote from: cbeach40 on December 01, 2017, 08:44:21 AM
An additional situation is where the backs of the signals and backplates are grey in order to reduce the visibility of those so the signals that face approaching traffic stand out more.
https://goo.gl/maps/yqCZWhQWMuH2

Ha! Seemingly the opposite approach of Renton, WA, who insist on painting the entire backside of traffic lights yellow, despite the fact that the front of the lights are all black (except for the housing):

https://goo.gl/JjZW2R

plain

Because of the fact most cities in Virginia maintain their own streets, you can find multiple colors of housing somewhere around the state (Norfolk alone has at least four different colors on its streets). Outside of these cities, VDOT maintained roads almost always use yellow housings with black backplates, though lately for new signals and updated older ones they've been using the backplates with the yellow reflective strips. Red housings used to be installed at fire stations (again on VDOT roads) but I don't think that's the case anymore, though there are many older ones left... really all they did was took yellow ones and painted them red. It's really obvious if the signal is very old.
Newark born, Richmond bred

US 89

In Utah, UDOT usually uses yellow signals with black backplates. On the newer installs, the backplates will have a yellow reflective strip around them. UDOT maintains every signal on a state highway (and I almost wonder if they do more, since I can think of a few signals that use UDOT-spec street blades and signals even though they aren’t on a state highway).

On non-state highways, cities use a wide variety. Salt Lake City uses black signals and black backplates (if backplates are used, which they typically are on all mast arm signals).

roadfro

In Nevada, signal housings have used a darker color as long as I can remember. I have never seen a yellow signal head in Nevada, aside from possibly a couple of signal heads on temporary signal trailers.

Many older signals seem to be a dark hunter green housing color with black backplates. Newer signals tend to be a black housing with black backplates (with some newer signals now including the yellow retroreflective border on the front of the backplate).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

freebrickproductions

ALDOT used to use yellow, but sometime within the past few years, they swapped over to black (however, the region Montgomery is in appears to still use yellow).

Huntsville's colors have bounced around a bunch, going from Yellow to Black to Yellow and Black (Black doors and visors and Yellow bodies) back to Black then back to Yellow with new signals being Black again.

TDOT appears to still use yellow on their signals, and I believe a few states in the northeast (like Maine) use black doors but yellow bodies and visors.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

dfnva

Quote from: plain on December 01, 2017, 05:50:01 PM
Because of the fact most cities in Virginia maintain their own streets, you can find multiple colors of housing somewhere around the state (Norfolk alone has at least four different colors on its streets). Outside of these cities, VDOT maintained roads almost always use yellow housings with black backplates, though lately for new signals and updated older ones they've been using the backplates with the yellow reflective strips. Red housings used to be installed at fire stations (again on VDOT roads) but I don't think that's the case anymore, though there are many older ones left... really all they did was took yellow ones and painted them red. It's really obvious if the signal is very old.

I like Ohio's color scheme for signals and backplates: Yellow-reflective border backplates with black-painted signals. They increase visibility at all times of the day and, quite frankly, they look sharp.

I have hope that Virginia's VDOT is going to switch to this color scheme:

https://goo.gl/maps/CKVHLCMJTJx

These signals are on a VDOT-maintained road (SR-648/Edsall Rd in Fairfax County) but it may be a contractor goof due to the apparent emergency conditions that these signals were installed last summer (replacing others that were knocked down in an accident).

I've not seen any other signals with this color scheme installed other than in Fairfax City (not VDOT installed).

Mccojm

From what I observed on Long Island, NY

NYS controlled roads use dark housing (Dark green/ blackish), new signal get black with reflective yellow tape back plate. old signal either no back plate or just black back plate.
Dark w/ black & ref. yellow tape back plate: https://goo.gl/maps/EmrbDdjTXaz E/B NY347 Smithtown Bypass @ NY111 Wheeler Rd - Hauppauge, NY
Dark without back plate: https://goo.gl/maps/oBo4rLQDNpJ2  W/B NY27A Montauk Highway @ NY111 Islip Ave - Islip, NY

Town of Islip and Brookhaven controlled County/ Town roads use yellow housing.  New signals use black with reflective yellow tape back plate, old signals have no back plate.
Yellow w/ black & ref. Yellow tape back plate: https://goo.gl/maps/uLphe6yiGww S/B NY111 @ CR50 Union Blvd - Islip, NY
Yellow without back plate: https://goo.gl/maps/X67ZYenQi162 E/B CR50 Union Blvd @ Brentwood Rd - Bay Shore, NY
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

plain

Quote from: dfnva on December 27, 2017, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: plain on December 01, 2017, 05:50:01 PM

I like Ohio's color scheme for signals and backplates: Yellow-reflective border backplates with black-painted signals. They increase visibility at all times of the day and, quite frankly, they look sharp.

I have hope that Virginia's VDOT is going to switch to this color scheme:

https://goo.gl/maps/CKVHLCMJTJx

These signals are on a VDOT-maintained road (SR-648/Edsall Rd in Fairfax County) but it may be a contractor goof due to the apparent emergency conditions that these signals were installed last summer (replacing others that were knocked down in an accident).

I've not seen any other signals with this color scheme installed other than in Fairfax City (not VDOT installed).

I like the ODOT signals, I saw a few back in June during my last visit to Cleveland. As far as VDOT switching over to that,  I would love to see that too but I wouldn't hold my breath on it though. I'm also thinking that one install is due to the contractor.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Quote from: Mccojm on December 28, 2017, 01:56:42 PM

NYS controlled roads use dark housing (Dark green/ blackish), new signal get reflective yellow back plate. old signal either no back plate or just black back plate.

Not to be pedantic, but American backplates are all black, and certainly not reflective. The only reflective bit is the yellow strip around the edge of the backplate. On the other hand, Canada uses all-yellow blackplates (not everywhere though) with a yellow retroreflective border. We pulled the idea of a yellow border from them, IIRC.

Mccojm

Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2017, 02:55:23 PM

NYS controlled roads use dark housing (Dark green/ blackish), new signal get reflective yellow back plate. old signal either no back plate or just black back plate.

Not to be pedantic, but American backplates are all black, and certainly not reflective. The only reflective bit is the yellow strip around the edge of the backplate. On the other hand, Canada uses all-yellow blackplates (not everywhere though) with a yellow retroreflective border. We pulled the idea of a yellow border from them, IIRC.

You are correct, they are black with reflective yellow tape, assuming made of same material sign panels use. I will correct it in my post. This is where my lack of experience gets me as well as in the field, I don't get too detailed and I've had my EIC rip me a new one for using wrong terms or descriptions. My bad
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

jakeroot

Quote from: Mccojm on December 28, 2017, 03:06:42 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2017, 02:55:23 PM

You are correct, they are black with reflective yellow tape, assuming made of same material sign panels use. I will correct it in my post. This is where my lack of experience gets me as well as in the field, I don't get too detailed and I've had my EIC rip me a new one for using wrong terms or descriptions. My bad

No worries. You'll learn all sorts of things over time. You're far from the first person to make this mistake.

For what it's worth, there are some American cities that paint the backside of the backplates all yellow, in addition to the already-yellow signal housings. Note this image from Renton, WA:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Maybe an under-lying primer? Like that of what bridge girders are coated with.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jakeroot

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on December 28, 2017, 05:44:41 PM

Maybe an under-lying primer? Like that of what bridge girders are coated with.

That could very well be the case.

According to freebrickproductions, it was common for Singer signals to fade from yellow to brown:

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 01, 2017, 02:00:25 AM

Yellow Singer (yes, the same Singer that made sewing machines) signals seem to have faded from yellow to brown. The old photos I've seen of them show yellow signals while the same signals today are a brown color.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.