News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How traffic lights are portrayed on cartoons vs. real life

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Ever noticed how on cartoons, traffic lights are never paid attention to detail, they're usually drawn as a single faced signal hanging from a pole. In real life they're much more complicated, with arrows, different types of poles, backplates, etc. I'v never even seen a signal with arrows on tv. But yet, cars look very realistic, down to the brand and model. Anyone else notice how traffic lights look very generic in cartoons.

jeffandnicole

I always thought almost nothing in cartoons were portrayed to look like the real thing.

lepidopteran

Also, notice how often in cartoons the signals are only 2-section, where the yellow light is AWOL?  (See also The Law of Conservation of Detail on tvtropes.org , time sink warning included)  There also seems to be a lot of Acme-type signals with semaphores and bells, though that might have been the norm when said toons were produced.

Ever notice how the standard drawn symbol (or so it seems) for a traffic signal is a 4-way unit with cutaway visors, even though they are quite rare today?

I think there was a green arrow in the movie "American Graffiti", where someone is cruising at night and is chatting with
another motorist while stopped at a red signal.  He almost runs the light when a green turning arrow comes on but the through movement is still red.  (I might be mixing it up with a different movie.)

D-Dey65

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 04, 2018, 09:50:49 PM
Also, notice how often in cartoons the signals are only 2-section, where the yellow light is AWOL?  (See also The Law of Conservation of Detail on tvtropes.org , time sink warning included)  There also seems to be a lot of Acme-type signals with semaphores and bells, though that might have been the norm when said toons were produced.
It was.

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 04, 2018, 09:50:49 PM
Ever notice how the standard drawn symbol (or so it seems) for a traffic signal is a 4-way unit with cutaway visors, even though they are quite rare today?
See the previous reply.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.