Cutaway vs tunnel visors

Started by traffic light guy, January 04, 2018, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Cutaways look better on certain signal brands, such as Crouse-Hinds or Eagle, although they look hideous on older Durasigs (Especially 1st Gen). Tunnel is preferred on more modern signals, such as Econolite or McCain.

Brandon

I've seen both used in different areas.  You have Kentucky, which for some strange reason uses cutaways on the red and green signals, but tunnels on the yellows.  Then there's some I've seen in Illinois whereby the red will be a cutaway, but everything else is tunnel visor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Tunnel visors are used on 99% of signals in Western Washington. I'm not aware of any cities currently installing them. The only time I ever see them used is on limited visibility signals at intersections adjacent to railway tracks. No idea why.

In BC, it's a mix of tunnel and cutaway. Tunnel is more common now, but cutaway visors are still plentiful.

Personally, I like the appearance of cutaway visors.

US 89

UDOT has recently shifted from tunnel to cutaway visors. Generally, they prefer cutaway visors because it's less likely that snow will accumulate in front of the indications, but tunnels are still used in skewed intersections. See page 21 (pdf page 26) of UDOT's Signalized Intersection Design Guidelines (the PDF is pretty big, so it might take a while to load).

roadfro

Nevada prefers tunnel visors on traffic signals. In the snow-prone areas of the north, we use tunnel visors that have roughly the bottom fifth removed to reduce snow accumulation.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

steviep24

NYSDOT loves cutaway visors and rarely installs tunnel visors except for some skewed intersections.

In Rochester the county of Monroe uses a mix of both, mostly cutaway, but recent installations are tunnel. Seems to depend on the contractor installing them though.

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on January 04, 2018, 08:05:09 PM
You have Kentucky, which for some strange reason uses cutaways on the red and green signals, but tunnels on the yellows. 

I agree that this is crazy.  Never did figure out why that would be the preference.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dfnva

In Virginia, it depends on the regional VDOT office --

Northern Virginia: Cutaway visors almost exclusively
Richmond suburbs and surrounding counties: Tunnel visors almost exclusively
Most other parts of Virginia: Cutaway visors except Tunnel visors for protected turn signals

Pink Jazz

Quote from: dfnva on January 08, 2018, 02:54:24 PM
In Virginia, it depends on the regional VDOT office --

Northern Virginia: Cutaway visors almost exclusively
Richmond suburbs and surrounding counties: Tunnel visors almost exclusively
Most other parts of Virginia: Cutaway visors except Tunnel visors for protected turn signals

As for cities, in Hampton Roads most cities seem to use tunnel visors, with cutaway visors mostly found on older signals.

In Arizona, tunnel visors dominate, although I have seen cutaways on temporary span wire signals in Gilbert.

paulthemapguy

I've seen both used in different areas.  You have Kentucky, which for some strange reason uses cutaways on the red and green signals, but tunnels on the yellows.  Then there's some I've seen in Illinois whereby the red will be a cutaway, but everything else is tunnel visor.

This is something that District 3 started doing very recently.  I have no idea why.  Everywhere else in Illinois will have tunnel visors.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 19, 2018, 02:34:20 PM

This is something that District 3 started doing very recently.  I have no idea why.  Everywhere else in Illinois will have tunnel visors.

Every district here seems to do it's own damn thing at times.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.