AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: CA 22  (Read 2224 times)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
CA 22
« on: January 29, 2018, 10:35:04 PM »

I understand from years-old posts that the CA 22 freeway could have been extended west to I-710. Finding out more about that would be cool. However, I'm starting off this thread with a question about what was actually built - namely the west stub extending off the 405. (This post was sparked by the news that the 405 is about to add two lanes in this area, and seeing just how wide that would make it - 10 lanes each way at the 22 concurrency!) So check this out:

https://goo.gl/maps/cY6etd4ArUC2

The concrete appears to be aligned with 22 EB going onto what's now the WB bridge, and 22 WB on a never-built bridge to the north. Historic Aerials shows it was built that way. So what exactly is 22 EB following, if not its intended bridge? Just, wot's... uh, the deal?

emory

• Last Login: August 20, 2020, 12:40:23 AM
Re: CA 22
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:22:30 AM »

This interchange was built to accommodate the final southern leg of Interstate 605, which was never built, and would've extended it to CA 1.

DTComposer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:06:38 PM
Re: CA 22
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »

You can see several vestiges of this in the street and property lines: in your link, Nassau Drive (on the right side of the photo) curves as it does to accommodate where I-605 would come in just above it (which is why Leisure World didn't develop that part of their property).

I don't know for sure, but I assume the concrete alignment means a new bridge for WB CA-22 would have been built between the existing bridge and College Park Drive, and EB CA-22 shifted north onto the current WB bridge. The existing EB CA-22 bridge would have been modified/removed to accommodate the ramp from EB CA-22 to SB I-605 (or CA-240 as it was on the books).

If you move west from this image, the freeway extension would have left 7th Street and curved southwest along Parima Street (6th Street was built on this curve to accommodate the freeway); Parima Street and Lausinda Avenue (as well as the developments to the west) were built after the freeway plans were abandoned.

The extension would have met Pacific Coast Highway at Colorado Street (you can see the property line between Storybrook Villas and the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin curves to allow for a ramp (again, that church was not built until after the freeway was shelved)). It would have then followed/paralleled Colorado Street to Appian Way, where it would turn northwest and follow the old Pacific Electric right-of-way to somewhere between 10th Street and Anaheim Street, and would move within this corridor until it reached I-710 around Anaheim Street (somewhere there is a Thomas Bros. map that shows a precise corridor for this). It then continued west across Wilmington and Harbor City to until the Five Points intersection (Anaheim Street/Gaffey Street/Vermont Avenue/Palos Verdes Drive).

This extension would have been CA-1 (CA-22 would have still ended in east Long Beach) and was known as the Crosstown Freeway and was originally part of the larger plan to make CA-1 a freeway from Santa Monica to Dana Point. Other sections of the freeway plan were dropped throughout the 1960s and '70s, and this "orphaned" section was finally dropped in 1978.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.