News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Kroger to sell it's C-Store business

Started by US71, February 05, 2018, 11:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Kroger is selling their convenience store business to a UK -based company.  It was rumored that Casey's General Store was looking to acquire them, but I guess they decided not to.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Milwaukee, WY

Isn't Casey's part of Hy-Vee?

iPhone

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on February 05, 2018, 05:27:09 PM
Isn't Casey's part of Hy-Vee?

No.

Edit: To expand on that, no, they're two completely separate companies. Casey's is based in Ankeny and Hy-Vee is based in West Des Moines. Hy-Vee actually has its own convenience store chain, although each one is pretty much always coupled together with a supermarket location.

hbelkins

Where does Kroger have a C-store operation?

In these parts, there are Kroger Fuel stations adjacent to supermarkets. They use the same logo as Turkey Hill. I haven't seen any standalone Kroger C-stores.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2018, 11:16:18 AM

In these parts, there are Kroger Fuel stations adjacent to supermarkets. They use the same logo as Turkey Hill. I haven't seen any standalone Kroger C-stores.

Loaf n Jug
Kwik Shop
Tom Thumb
Turkey Hill  (though Turkey Hill branded products are not included)

Those attached to supermarkets are not included in the deal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

A lot of grocery chains used to have gas station/ C-Store chains but they all seem to be selling them off...

Publix and Winn Dixie did for a while

I always thought Murphy USA was part of Walmart. But I met a guy who works for Murphy USA.. he told me they are separate and Murphy USA is beginning to have stand alone locations not with a Walmart

Z981

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I haven't seen any standalone Kroger C-stores.

We all drived by one when we looped around Stratford (US 23/Oh 315) during the C-Bus Roadmeet back in the fall.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thenetwork

I have seen several.  When I was in Columbus last week for a funeral, there was a stand-alone Kroger Fuel / Turkey Hill C-Store at US-23 and OH-315.  The Kroger was a bit further north on (and on the opposite side of) US-23.

J N Winkler

Quote from: US71 on February 06, 2018, 11:28:35 AM
Loaf n Jug
Kwik Shop
Tom Thumb
Turkey Hill  (though Turkey Hill branded products are not included)

Those attached to supermarkets are not included in the deal.

I am wondering what will happen in terms of honoring Kroger fuel points, though I am not worrying about it overmuch since none of these brands offer Top Tier gasoline, which I try to stick with on lengthy roadtrips--fuel points generally get used up on the 24-year-old daily driver that already burns oil at a rate of 1500 mpq and so doesn't really benefit from the guarantee of detergency levels.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

thenetwork

I also saw yesterday on a Blue services sign that they replaced the City Market (Kroger) logo that had that multi-colored "shape" with a simple City Market-logoed GAS sign.

I also remember a simple facelift occurring at the other CM gas station a couple weeks back -- to rid itself of that "shape" again, I would assume.

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 11, 2018, 02:14:58 PM
I am wondering what will happen in terms of honoring Kroger fuel points, though I am not worrying about it overmuch since none of these brands offer Top Tier gasoline, which I try to stick with on lengthy roadtrips--fuel points generally get used up on the 24-year-old daily driver that already burns oil at a rate of 1500 mpq and so doesn't really benefit from the guarantee of detergency levels.

The local Kroger affiliates here in Colorado (City Market & King Sooper) also allow one to use one's points at most Shell-branded stations, albeit only 10 cents off/gal. at a time.  Luckily, one Shell station by my house is within a few pennies of the lowest price in town, so even though I can only get a dime off the price, Top-Tiered Shell usually becomes the cheapest fuel in town for me!!

SP Cook

According to their annual report:

KWIK Stop (IA, KS, NE, TN, MS)
Loaf 'n Jug (CO, MT, NE, ND, SD, WY)
Tom Thumb (AL, FL)
Turkey Hill (PA, OH, IN)

As to the Kroger fuel centers, these are not being sold.  As to "stand alone" I guess it depends on what you mean.  For example there is a Kroger Fuel Center at the corner of Pennsylvania and Lee in Charleston, WV (and thus right off I-64) while the actual Kroger is located on at 500 Delaware (between Lee and Roane, and Delaware and Maryland, 6 blocks away (and in Charleston's worst neighborhood). 

Kroger's acquisition of Fred Meyer has left it with several mall-based  jewelry store brands, which have a different footprint from the grocery stores (doing business in the northeast, for example).  I would think these are up for sale too.

Buck87

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 08, 2018, 08:30:05 PM

We all drived by one when we looped around Stratford (US 23/Oh 315) during the C-Bus Roadmeet back in the fall.

Quote from: thenetwork on February 09, 2018, 11:37:10 AM

I have seen several.  When I was in Columbus last week for a funeral, there was a stand-alone Kroger Fuel / Turkey Hill C-Store at US-23 and OH-315.  The Kroger was a bit further north on (and on the opposite side of) US-23.

The one you guys are talking about is kinda interesting from a roadgeek perspective too. Has its own turn lane off of 23 north that is kind of like a little exit ramp right into the back part of the parking lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2580339,-83.064529,3a,60y,1.53h,82.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seyfeQIK6HHh03DNZfoAGCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've stopped there a couple times.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Buck87 on February 15, 2018, 04:43:06 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 08, 2018, 08:30:05 PM

Quote from: thenetwork on February 09, 2018, 11:37:10 AM

The one you guys are talking about is kinda interesting from a roadgeek perspective too. Has its own turn lane off of 23 north that is kind of like a little exit ramp right into the back part of the parking lot:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2580339,-83.064529,3a,60y,1.53h,82.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seyfeQIK6HHh03DNZfoAGCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've stopped there a couple times.

Krogers/Turkey Hill wasn't happy with ODOT/City of Delaware when they finally got around to rearranging the US 23/Oh 315-Stratford Rd intersection. Krogers was worried about a loss of business with the lack of (direct) access from SB US 23 to Stratford Rd NB.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.