AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: US 95/SR 157 Kyle Canyon Rd interchange (DDI) groundbreaking  (Read 2498 times)

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
US 95/SR 157 Kyle Canyon Rd interchange (DDI) groundbreaking
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »

Groundbreaking ceremony for the US 95/SR 157 Kyle Canyon Rd interchange and US 95 widening project happened on 2/1/2018

Construction starts on $78M project to improve stretch of US 95, Las Vegas Review-Journal 2/1/2018
Construction started Thursday on rebuilding the Kyle Canyon Road interchange at U.S. Highway 95 into a diverging diamond, which temporarily shifts traffic to the left side of the road with help from traffic signals, physical barriers and pavement markings.
(...)
By the time it opens in fall 2019, Kyle Canyon Road and U.S. 95 will be the third diverging diamond interchange in Southern Nevada and fourth in the state, Illia said.
(...)
A hawk was released during the news conference Thursday. It circled over construction vehicles working on the $78 million project, which also calls for widening U.S. 95 between Durango Drive and Kyle Canyon Road – largely considered the region’s gateway to Mount Charleston.

Note a slight error in the story: No interchange exists at US 95 & Kyle Canyon Rd. The junction is currently an at-grade intersection.

This project comprises Phases 2B and 5 of NDOT's US 95 Northwest Corridor improvements project, which has been underway for some time. (Phases 1, 2A and 4 have been complete for some time; Phase 3 is the Centennial Bowl, which is scheduled to advertise the next subphase soon.)

EDIT: Not mentioned in the article, but I believe the Phase 2B widening portion will also be constructing an HOV-only half exit at Elkhorn Road, which would more directly serve the RTC Centennial Hills Transit Center and Park & Ride facility.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:07:58 PM by roadfro »
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mark68

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 04:12:40 AM
    • My Travels over the years
Re: US 95/SR 157 Kyle Canyon Rd interchange (DDI) groundbreaking
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »

Of note in the article:

"Susan Klekar, Nevada’s division administrator for the Federal Highway Administration, said the widening project was vital to the region because sections of U.S. 95 will eventually have a dual designation with Interstate 11, which is under construction between Henderson and Boulder City.

Supporters envision I-11 as an eventual trade route between Mexico’s border to Canada by running through Arizona, Nevada and Idaho."

Apparently, I-11 will go at least as far as Reno/some point on I-80.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:58 PM »

Well now I know why there was a construction zone and no NV 157 to get a picture of last month.

splashflash

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:22:59 AM
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 02:05:42 AM »

It looks like this project will be wrapping up in a month.

https://news3lv.com/news/local/several-ramps-on-us-95-to-close-this-week-in-northwest-las-vegas

The project calls for expanding the highway from four to six lanes from Durango Drive to Kyle Canyon Road, constructing Elkhorn Road carpool access ramps and building a diverging diamond interchange at Kyle Canyon Road. The project is scheduled to finish June 20.

splashflash

splashflash

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.