Does your state tilt BGSs?

Started by Mergingtraffic, February 22, 2018, 06:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

How much does your state tilt BGS signs over the highways?  Is there a standard degree?

note the sign here in Baltimore is direct on the pic but since it's tilted downward the gantry looks like its tipping over.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadfro

I have not seen a tilted sign in Nevada.

I imagine with advances is reflective sheeting, this wouldn't be much of a thing anymore. Better sheeting can increase the reflectivity and readability from the road level.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman

Massachusetts standard for overhead BGS panels is to tilt the top of the panel five degrees outward - see https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2017/10/24/StdDwgsSignsSupports1990.pdf  Page 32
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

Oklahoma generally does not.

Kansas does, and I've always liked that. It makes sense to tilt the sign forward a bit so that it actually faces the people who will be looking at it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

In Britain the norm for ground-mounted signs is a 5° turn away from traffic on tangent, and perpendicular mounting (0° turn) on curves.  I don't know that there is a standard as such for overhead signs, but I think they are usually mounted vertically.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jbnv

This gantry in Baton Rouge has an older sign that is not tilted and a newer sign that is tilted.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Bitmapped

PennDOT used to, but newer installations seem to have gotten away from this.

Ian

MaineDOT generally tilts the top side of their guide signs outward. The Maine Turnpike Authority's overheads, however, usually have no tilt.

I remember seeing older guide signs down in Rhode Island some years ago that had an outward tilt from the bottom of the sign panels. I've also seen this done over the Canadian border in New Brunswick. Anyone know if there is (was) any advantage to tilting the panels from the bottom vs. the top?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on February 23, 2018, 10:30:44 AMMassachusetts standard for overhead BGS panels is to tilt the top of the panel five degrees outward
I'm assuming that standard has been around for quite a while. 

Overhead sign installations along I-95/MA 128 from I-90/Mass Pike to MA 9 did the opposite tilt (the bottom of the panel was tilted outward, i.e. an upward-tilt).  These panels were erected during the early 70s (prior to 128 being designated as I-95).  Given that all the overhead signs along that stretch had such; I have to wonder if the details on the plans were inadvertently mirrored.

One "survivor" BGS from the early 70s featuring the upward-tilt installation.

Interestingly, when the panels were replaced (but not the gantries) during the mid-90s (with ones featuring button-copy I-95 & 90 shields); most of the newer BGS' featured the same upward tilt.

In RI, some 80s vintage overhead BGS' along I-95 in the Providence area featured the same upward tilt as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.