News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BGS's on Surface Streets

Started by webny99, March 07, 2018, 02:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm looking for examples of overhead (or even ground-mounted) BGS's on surface streets.
Your examples of BGS's on surface streets don't have to be at freeway junctions - they can be anywhere.

EDIT: In fact, I'd prefer they weren't at freeway junctions, since not only are they very common, we now have this thread for that discussion.

Max Rockatansky

There is one on CA 184 northbound at the Edison Highway east of Bakersfield directing traffic to Lake Isabella. 

hotdogPi

Very common.

Flagstaff, AZ: Route 66, I-17, I-40 by <name removed>, on Flickr

EDIT: https → http so that the image shows again, although it isn't quite showing it at the same angle as before
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

gonealookin

In addition to the ones at all the freeway interchanges in Carson City, there's this one downtown, a few blocks north of the State Capitol, at what used to be the north junction of US 50 and US 395.

Edit:  Another Nevada example, in Fallon.

US71

Miami, OK

Fayetteville, AR

Neosho, MO

Natchez, MS
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 07, 2018, 02:33:36 PM
MA 16 & 28 in Medford
Although these BGS' are fairly new; this intersection has used BGS' since the 1980s

Same location with the original BGS'
The BGSes at Wellington Circle were originally installed in 1972.  The replacement panels recently installed were mounted to the existing 1972 supports (ugh!).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on March 07, 2018, 02:54:50 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 07, 2018, 02:33:36 PMSame location with the 80s-vintage BGS'
The BGSes at Wellington Circle were originally installed in 1972.  The replacement panels recently installed were mounted to the existing 1972 supports (ugh!).
Those BGS panels in above-GSV link look way too new to be of 1972 vintage.  The shade of green used on those panels look too pale to be 70s vintage... not to mention the panels being more reflective.   I remember when the ones from the 80s were erected but I do not remember the original 70s vintage ones which would've used either button-copy lettering or beige lettering and route shields per the era.

This one just east of the intersection (& now since gone) is from the 70s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

Quote from: webny99 on March 07, 2018, 02:23:04 PM
I'm looking for examples of overhead (or even ground-mounted) BGS's on surface streets.

Ohio does this quite frequently. I'm a major advocate of this practice, and I wish NY would start doing it. The state's current method of just posting shields is not substantial enough. Having BGS's like that (even if they were ground-mounted) would be a major improvement to guiding motorists.

With that said, your examples of BGS's on surface streets don't have to be at freeway junctions - they can be anywhere.

Extremely common in Florida. You can expect to see them at pretty much any freeway junction — sometimes ground-mounted, sometimes overhead. Some major surface highway junctions have them too.

On the other hand, I can't think of one in Georgia off the top of my head. Well, I suppose US 29/78 is technically a surface road where the Stone Mountain Freeway branches off from it, so I guess this counts:

EDIT: Oh duh, how could I forget this one on West Peachtree Street?

jakeroot

"Sign salads" are very rare in Washington (if not non-existent). Virtually all junctions between two or more state routes have guide signs (alongside many non-state route junctions). For example, here's a very rural T-junction with a guide sign. Most states might just sign this with roadside shields and arrows, but Washington uses guide signs for this purpose instead. For the most part, the only ground-mounted shields are reassurance shields, and "TO" signs (sometimes these have a green background). But state route junctions are always signed with guide signs. I believe this practice is different than neighboring Oregon and Idaho.

Here's some examples of state route junctions in Washington, three rural and and an urban example...

US 89

At least in Utah, there are way too many examples of this to even try counting. Here are just a few:

North Salt Lake, UT:

Salt Lake City, UT:

Farmington, NM:

Craig, CO:

West Valley City, UT:

sharkyfour

I used to see them at pretty much every freeway interchange in CT, though I've noticed as intersections get re-done for whatever reason, the BGSs go away in favor of shield signs.  Some examples of interchanges that have lost BGSs on the surface streets are I-84 East exit 63 (Route 30/83/Tolland Tpke where the bridge on the ramp was replaced and the ramp widened) and I-84 exit 68, where CT-195 was widened to 4 lanes.

Rothman

See US 9 at NY 2 and NY 7 at NY 5.  We do have them in places in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Voyager75

US 43 South in downtown Demopolis, AL. This had a vintage button copy sign until a few years ago if I remember correctly.

US 31 North in Bay Minette, AL

iPhone

silverback1065

pan around downtown indy, INDOT loves them down there

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2018, 07:11:35 PM
See US 9 at NY 2 and NY 7 at NY 5.  We do have them in places in NY.

NY 96 has several, too. But they're certainly not the default. I can't think of any rural interchange that has ground-mounted green signs referencing the route and control city, as is the standard in other states.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 07, 2018, 03:37:56 PM
"Sign salads" are very rare in Washington (if not non-existent). Virtually all junctions between two or more state routes have guide signs (alongside many non-state route junctions). For example, here's a very rural T-junction with a guide sign. Most states might just sign this with roadside shields and arrows, but Washington uses guide signs for this purpose instead. For the most part, the only ground-mounted shields are reassurance shields, and "TO" signs (sometimes these have a green background). But state route junctions are always signed with guide signs.

I did not even know this was a thing. I'm extremely impressed at how good-looking those are, and the fact that they are easy to read, convey the message very accurately, and even include the "control city", eliminating the need for separate signage of those.

Without question, this should be a nationwide standard. Do any other states sign state route junctions like this?

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2018, 08:02:48 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/DoqFqPUQhes
https://goo.gl/maps/DzhPYZ3Be6Q2

To qualify, those should replace the shields posted at the intersection itself. The first example lacks an arrow, and the second lacks a control city.

Point stands that this is done very sparingly in NY, and should be done more often. The motoring public would be better served if standalone shields were completely eliminated from freeway junctions in favor of the BGS's used elsewhere.

MNHighwayMan

The ones on "I-70" in Breezewood.  :bigass:

TheCatalyst31

Madison has a bit of an odd one of these:

The "exit only" signage is probably to keep traffic turning off Broom Street from getting in the wrong lane, since the intersections are right next to each other, but it's not something I've seen at intersecting surface streets very often. What's more, US 151 turns right at that intersection, but that sign is pushed off to the side instead of being on the main BGS.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on March 07, 2018, 11:04:15 PM
Madison has a bit of an odd one of these:

I'm not sure I've ever seen analog variation of the "lane closed" symbol. Guess they don't want anyone thinking that's a lane, and driving into the island!

Quote from: webny99 on March 07, 2018, 08:09:28 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 07, 2018, 03:37:56 PM
"Sign salads" are very rare in Washington (if not non-existent). Virtually all junctions between two or more state routes have guide signs (alongside many non-state route junctions). For example, here's a very rural T-junction with a guide sign. Most states might just sign this with roadside shields and arrows, but Washington uses guide signs for this purpose instead. For the most part, the only ground-mounted shields are reassurance shields, and "TO" signs (sometimes these have a green background). But state route junctions are always signed with guide signs.

I did not even know this was a thing. I'm extremely impressed at how good-looking those are, and the fact that they are easy to read, convey the message very accurately, and even include the "control city", eliminating the need for separate signage of those.

Without question, this should be a nationwide standard. Do any other states sign state route junctions like this?

To the best of my knowledge, this has been standard WSDOT practice since at least the 70s. It is probably more expensive, but undoubtedly preferable to standard salads. Much harder to miss a turn-off using guide signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.