Some idiocy courtesy of Facebook, or I-44 misconceptions

Started by bugo, April 06, 2018, 02:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Here is a screenshot of a conversation I had on Facebook in a Tulsa group about I-44/Skelly Drive. Let's count the fake facts:

"There was a Skelly Drive before it was a freeway" - Skelly Drive, also known as I-44/OK 66, has always been a freeway other than some at-grades that once existed near its western end.

"You need to do more research than just reading maps maps" - In other words, this old man's obviously faulty memory is correct and dozens of maps, some produced by the State of Oklahoma, are incorrect.

"I-44 was not done until 1964" - I-44 in Tulsa was complete by 1958. It is true that the H.E. Bailey Turnpike southwest of Oklahoma City opened in 1964 but that highway wasn't a part of I-44 until 1982. I don't know where he got the idea that I-44 in Tulsa wasn't finished until 1964.

"There were no freeways in Tulsa in 1959" - I posted a Tulsa map from the OSHC (ODOT's predecessor) proving that I-44/Skelly Drive was complete through Tulsa in 1959.

"They were Interstates but they were not freeways" - No comment from me is necessary.

He also claimed that I-44 is not Skelly Drive, even though I provided several maps proving that is incorrect as well as an excerpt from an ODOT document.

This geezer Eldon Edwards believes because he is old enough to remember the 1950s (even though he obviously doesn't remember it correctly) then his "facts" trump mine. I can back up everything I say with hard data. He cannot.

How do these morons figure out how to use Facebook?

J N Winkler

Facebook tracks its users across the Web with a "magic pixel" and uses the information thus collected to pimp group possibilities to them, so Facebook groups attract a lot of n00bs.  I've already seen one version of the "turnpike cannot be a freeway because it is not free to drive on" argument (might have been in Freewayjim).  Months ago I had to set a Facebook comment thread on ignore after someone intervened to share what I considered to be dangerous advice--on a downhill grade, "Don't slow down because that causes the truckers to have crashes."

It is to the point where I would actually like a filter for posts that are set to be world-visible, not just to clear my feed of this Romper Room nonsense but also to avoid the temptation to intervene in the fights that develop among strangers in world-visible comment threads.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Facebook is garbage as a platform for any sort of informed discussion. It is the web home of the General Public–and anyone that's worked a job that deals with consumer-oriented customer service knows what the General Public is like.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Also, and I'm sure the Eldon guy isn't going to know or care, but don't give him an out when one really doesn't exist.  I-78 is over 60 miles long in NJ.  4 BLOCKS of it isn't true freeway.  Even the I-70 Breezewood section is longer.  So if he were to come up with those examples himself, let him.  But to state I-78 in NJ isn't a freeway isn't true either, because it is (except for that minor 4 block segment).

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

signalman

Off topic, but I was just in a pissing match with some nimrod on Facebook in regards to leaving NJ without paying a toll (not counting land crossings to NY).  This woman insisted that it was impossible to not pay a toll to cross a river.  I pointed out several free crossings of the Delaware.  She conceded on that but then started up, "but, you would have to use the Parkway or NJ Turnpike to get there and those have tolls!"  Again, I countered that those bridges can be accessed toll free and simultaneously covered my ass by admitting that they may not be the fastest or most efficient.  She continued to attempt to argue with me.  I just dropped it.  It's not worth one's time to argue with an idiot.

hotdogPi

Quote from: signalman on April 20, 2018, 11:04:54 AM
Off topic, but I was just in a pissing match with some nimrod on Facebook in regards to leaving NJ without paying a toll (not counting land crossings to NY).  This woman insisted that it was impossible to not pay a toll to cross a river.  I pointed out several free crossings of the Delaware.  She conceded on that but then started up, "but, you would have to use the Parkway or NJ Turnpike to get there and those have tolls!"  Again, I countered that those bridges can be accessed toll free and simultaneously covered my ass by admitting that they may not be the fastest or most efficient.  She continued to attempt to argue with me.  I just dropped it.  It's not worth one's time to argue with an idiot.

Why would the Garden State Parkway be used to go to Pennsylvania?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

signalman

I assume she was referring to coming up from South Jersey, but I'm not sure.  Like I said, she was an idiot and decided it wasn't worth pressing the issue.

renegade

Quote from: cjk374 on April 09, 2018, 07:08:22 AMAnd people wonder why I don't do Facebook.  :-/  :eyebrow:
Same here.  I have a friend who tells me frequently that I "need"  to be on fakebook.  I told him he needs to go buy a dictionary so he can look up the definition of "need."
I just don't have any valid reason to be there, because not all my exes live in Texas.    :bigass:

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.