Traffic camera in New Orleans giving speeding tickets to parked cars

Started by wanderer2575, April 11, 2018, 09:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

This sounds like it came straight from Illinois, but here's a story reporting that speeding citations are being issued in New Orleans for vehicles that actually are parked near traffic cameras.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/04/11/traffic-camera-in-new-orleans-giving-speeding-tickets-to-parked-cars.html

freebrickproductions

Well, when you factor in the speed of the Earth's rotation, even parked cars are technically going at least 1,000 MPH... :pan:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

adventurernumber1

That's ridiculous. That guy should be refunded all the money he ever had to wrongly pay for doing nothing (those tickets probably really added up in $ over the years).

I would say to definitely try parking somewhere other than there, but still, that's insane. This guy should get all his money back (he never sped, and he was parked legally, and I saw no indications that anything wrong was actually being done), along with everyone else who was ever wrongly fined.

If you get speeding tickets for driving at a grand speed of...0 MPH...I wonder what the punishment is when you actually largely exceed the actual speed limit on a road?  :rolleyes:  :no:  :banghead:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 08:40:29 PM
That's ridiculous. That guy should be refunded all the money he ever had to wrongly pay for doing nothing (those tickets probably really added up in $ over the years).

He gets the tickets dismissed by the local magistrate. His loss is mostly productivity hours.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2018, 12:21:15 AM

He gets the tickets dismissed by the local magistrate. His loss is mostly productivity hours.

Oh okay, I must have read the article wrong, then. I had seen something that said something like that only one ticket had been refunded, but I must have jumped to conclusions right there without figuring anything else out, and the truth evaded my mind. Well, at least there was justice in actuality. Losing productivity hours would be annoying as well, but at least this incident isn't actually putting a dent in the guy's wallet, thankfully.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jeffandnicole

You can tell this is the slow, easy going south.  If this was the northeast, the news would've been all over this after the very first ticket.

SP Cook

All traffic enforcement is, of course. illigitimate, whether done in conformance with the Constitution by an actual person, or unconstitutionally by a machine. 

However, since we now KNOW that the machine is inaccurate, it must be destroyed, and the "vendor" who made it fined sufficient to deter it from making another.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SP Cook on April 16, 2018, 09:20:35 AM
All traffic enforcement is, of course. illigitimate, whether done in conformance with the Constitution by an actual person, or unconstitutionally by a machine.

There is no "of course" about it. It bothers me sometimes that you really believe your opinion on the issue is the final word.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jasonh300

I can only imagine the police officer who manually reviewed these tickets...

Hmmm.  This guy drove by the same camera at a high rate of speed 60 times today, in the parking lane, half up on the curb, and the driver must be a midget because I can't even see him over the steering wheel.  And right in front of the house where the vehicle is registered.
Nope, nothing unusual there.  Issue citations!

kkt

What an interesting point of view.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: kkt on April 16, 2018, 06:07:44 PM

What an interesting point of view.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2795/car-wars

Road Hog

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2018, 12:21:15 AM

At least in NOLA it sounds like there is a system in place for redress. In Texas the red light camera fines are administrative; there is no court. Whether the ticket is bogus or not, there's no mechanism in place to dispute the fine. You either must pay the fine, or refuse to and hope the city doesn't call the credit bureau. (Many cities have discontinued the cameras.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.