News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Future of College Looks Like the Future of Retail

Started by bing101, April 22, 2018, 10:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

SP Cook

A person attending a traditional residential college during the traditional college years learns more during non-class hours than in class.

Can you learn most anything on-line?  Sure.  Can traditional colleges blend some of what on-line programs do?  Sure.   Are most traditional colleges, state and so-called private (still grossly subsidized by taxpayers), grossly bloated with non-productive people who "teach" ridiculous political invective and half-baked conspiracy theories as fact? Certainly.   But a traditional brick and mortar college graduate is still the best choice for any job.

Rothman

Half-baked conspiracy theories...I missed out on that class.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on April 23, 2018, 12:25:26 PM
A person attending a traditional residential college during the traditional college years learns more during non-class hours than in class.

I agree, and even when I got my MBA in my late 30s, I got a lot more out of classes I took in person than classes I took online.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2018, 12:30:48 PM

I even majored in Ridiculous Political Invective and didn't hear any half-baked conspiracy theories.  Not from my professors, anyway.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 23, 2018, 05:24:25 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 23, 2018, 12:30:48 PM

I even majored in Ridiculous Political Invective and didn't hear any half-baked conspiracy theories.  Not from my professors, anyway.

That's because we got brainwashed and don't know any better.  :poke:

Rarely was I subjected to much in the way of opinion from the front of the class, perhaps because it was mostly community college, but it's really tricky to politicize the basic courses, math, science, and computing courses without getting way off-topic. Could I have learned a lot of it online? Yes.

I heard more opinions in high school, but sometimes the lesson is that you're going to hear things you don't agree with. On a constant basis? No, because most folks can be professional.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on April 23, 2018, 05:37:40 PM
it's really tricky to politicize the basic courses, math, science, and computing courses without getting way off-topic.

Ha - as part of my MBA program, I had a Behavioral Finance prof who would spend four hours every Saturday railing against public sector unions.  If you're enough of a blowhard, you'll find a way.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 24, 2018, 09:03:29 AM
it's really tricky to politicize the basic courses, math, science, and computing courses without getting way off-topic.

Ha - as part of my MBA program, I had a Behavioral Finance prof who would spend four hours every Saturday railing against public sector unions.  If you're enough of a blowhard, you'll find a way.

I'd hardly call an MBA "basic", compared to a BA and AA (which can be found in a plastic bubble after spending a few quarters and twisting that chrome dial enough times).

hotdogPi

In my two Honors seminars, both were Democrats. The first one was explicit, even telling us not to vote for Trump, while the second one also teaches Intro to American Politics and makes it explicit in that class, but wasn't as explicit in my Honors class, which was about work and jobs. The first Honors seminar had nothing to do with politics.

Microeconomics had a Republican that seemed to want the market to work as efficiently as possible; this would mean no minimum wage (he made this explicit) and less government intervention. The Macroeconomics professor seemed to be a Democrat.

Calculus III had a Trump supporter, but this wasn't mentioned in the class, not even once. (It was mentioned when I was in his office during office hours.)

I don't know the political orientation of any of my other 14 professors so far.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on April 24, 2018, 09:18:58 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 24, 2018, 09:03:29 AM

I'd hardly call an MBA "basic", compared to a BA and AA (which can be found in a plastic bubble after spending a few quarters and twisting that chrome dial enough times).

Sorry, I missed the "basic" designation.  I was just pointing out that a prof found a way to get on a political soapbox in a math class.

abefroman329

Oh, I also had a Chem 101 prof who loved to talk about how "OJ killed his wife" (this was in 2001, so it was a little more timely than it would have been now), though I think that was just him expressing his disgust at the defense team's ability to create reasonable doubt over DNA testing.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on April 24, 2018, 09:29:25 AM
In my two Honors seminars, both were Democrats. The first one was explicit, even telling us not to vote for Trump, while the second one also teaches Intro to American Politics and makes it explicit in that class, but wasn't as explicit in my Honors class, which was about work and jobs. The first Honors seminar had nothing to do with politics.

Microeconomics had a Republican that seemed to want the market to work as efficiently as possible; this would mean no minimum wage (he made this explicit) and less government intervention. The Macroeconomics professor seemed to be a Democrat.

Calculus III had a Trump supporter, but this wasn't mentioned in the class, not even once. (It was mentioned when I was in his office during office hours.)

I don't know the political orientation of any of my other 14 professors so far.

I was a poli sci major, and there were 4 tenured profs in the dept.  Each represented a spot on the political spectrum (social liberal/economic liberal, social conservative/economic conservative, social liberal/economic conservative, and social conservative/economic liberal).  The social liberal/economic liberal and social conservative/economic conservative were both the most vocal, but equally vocal.  It was as close to fair and balanced as you could get.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 24, 2018, 09:41:13 AM
Oh, I also had a Chem 101 prof who loved to talk about how "OJ killed his wife" (this was in 2001, so it was a little more timely than it would have been now), though I think that was just him expressing his disgust at the defense team's ability to create reasonable doubt over DNA testing.
Drink apple juice because OJ will kill you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ce929wax

Quote from: 1 on April 24, 2018, 09:29:25 AMMicroeconomics had a Republican that seemed to want the market to work as efficiently as possible; this would mean no minimum wage (he made this explicit) and less government intervention.

Sounds more like a libertarian to me, but I could be wrong.

Rothman

Pfft.  Libertarians are just confused conservatives.  They spew rhetoric about free markets and minimalist government...and then more than one of my libertarian friends were considering voting for Bernie Sanders this past election!

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Another option for reducing the cost of higher education I've heard proposed is having colleges and universities eliminate residence halls and dining facilities.  I have political opinions about that too, but leaving those aside, I'm not sure if that would actually lead to cost savings, as I'm not sure if the actual cost of room and board is subsidized by tuition or other revenues.

SP Cook

Two things on that.  I think that college dorm and meal facilities exist to protect students from the slumlords that would develop in their absence.  At least in my state, it is a break even proposition. 

The other part i will say is to repeat what I said above.  You learn more during non-class hours than in class.  If you treat college as just the 13th-16th grades, just commuting in from home and taking no part in the life of the college, you do not get that. 

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on April 25, 2018, 11:30:39 AMI think that college dorm and meal facilities exist to protect students from the slumlords that would develop in their absence.

I agree, that's my opinion that I thought might be excessively political.

kkt

Quote from: SP Cook on April 25, 2018, 11:30:39 AM
Two things on that.  I think that college dorm and meal facilities exist to protect students from the slumlords that would develop in their absence.  At least in my state, it is a break even proposition. 

Yes, in most colleges the tuition does not subsidize the dorms (if anything, the dorms subsidize the rest of the college).  The benefit of dorms is providing a place for students to get to know other students, and have a gentler introduction to living independently of their parents than just renting an apartment.

The other part i will say is to repeat what I said above.  You learn more during non-class hours than in class.  If you treat college as just the 13th-16th grades, just commuting in from home and taking no part in the life of the college, you do not get that. 

I strongly agree.

Scott5114

I'm not really sure what you're supposed to be learning outside of class. You can theoretically learn social skills, but as someone who wasn't very sociable at the time and from another state, I just hung out in my dorm room on the computer, same as I would have done anyway, so I don't really consider it a good teacher of that.

I guess it can be a way to force you to learn shopping and other household management skills, but that should really be something parents should be teaching long before a student is required to use those skills. (My mom took me grocery shopping during the summer when I was about eight, handed me a calculator, and told me to add up the prices of everything as we put it in the cart. It was a very simple but concrete lesson on budgeting.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

I also learned:

- how to wait in line
- not trust that anyone knows how to work a computer in the 1990s
- how to deal with high school-educated idiots at the front lines of Administration
- waste time moving around campus because mistakes get made
- that textbooks are the best/worst examples of cost depreciation
- that you can't pick your roommates
- student government is as wasteful, inept, and 99% as useless as real government
- you can wait until the last minute because everyone literally does
- university cops have nothing to do, so they create issues
- how to understand different accents (although watching a lot of non-Americans and Winston Cup drivers talk about their racing activities helped a lot)
- how to share notes and meetup to "study"
- that dating is far easier than it was in high school
- opening a dorm window is a punishment in Dante's 7th Circle of Hell
- nobody cares about prior achievements
- how to drink (and not drink)
- how to fill a bong
- how to pretend that bong doesn't exist
- how to repair a bong that possibly didn't exist
- other life lessons (for example, loan someone $10, album, or book if you never want to see them again)

You could learn these kinds of things in another sphere of influence or large workplace, but that was just a few examples.

kkt

- if you're charming, you get get your RA to agree that your kitty is an ambulatory houseplant.

Hurricane Rex

IMO, for my major (meteorology) you need a campus for certain classes.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on April 25, 2018, 08:35:56 PM
- if you're charming, you get get your RA to agree that your kitty is an ambulatory houseplant.

Or a new species of tankless fish.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.