News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Stereotypes in your area

Started by webny99, May 06, 2018, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The Lexington judgmental map is pretty much spot-on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: Takumi on May 06, 2018, 11:11:27 PMThat's where I got the "Brooklyn with confederate statues"  phrase from! :-D

The description of Danville is spot on.

I also stumbled across this Waze screenshot that someone posted on Reddit:

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

Quote from: Henry on May 07, 2018, 09:49:05 AM
Chicago has at least two of them:

North Side--Rich white people, luxury apartments and condominiums
South and West Sides--Poor black people, where the slums are

In Los Angeles:

Hollywood, Beverly Hills and northern suburbs (including Pasadena)--Wealthy white well-to-do residents
South Central and surrounding suburbs like Compton, Inglewood and Long Beach--Poorer black residents, most of who become gangsters
Elsewhere--All Mexicans, Latinas and Asians

Quote from: bing101 on May 06, 2018, 07:08:53 PM
San Francisco area "Techies are snobs who caused income inequality"
Also applies to Seattle, where Microsoft, Nintendo and Boeing are headquartered.

South San Francisco, where Biotech run the city also Venture Capitalists are rich snobs are true in San Jose, Santa Clara, Menlo Park, Cupertino and Mountain View.

Solano County, Yolo County and Sacramento County the place the rest of California likes to scapegoat when it comes to certain issues like water deals and bankruptcy and the reason the rest of California always talk about splitting the state in different parts. But also Yolo County and Solano County has been talked about as alternate hubs for Biotech for some time though.

Also Redding area in the persistent debate over Jefferson.

bing101

Sacramento and Solano counties the epicenter for the long running conspiracy theory that a Serial Killer was a cop as in the Golden State Killer and Zodiac Killer if you are outside these areas.

If you lived in Solano County in the 1960's there was a long running Conspiracy that the Zodiac Killer was a Vallejo Police officer or a San Francisco Police officer.

In Sacramento if you lived there in the 1970's there was the long running conspiracy that the Golden state Killer was an Auburn cop and that part was confirmed.

abefroman329

Quote from: bing101 on May 07, 2018, 02:37:09 PMYolo County

I bet the residents have a real carpe diem outlook on life  :-D

ftballfan

For where I live now:
Ann Arbor: Tree huggers and hippies
Ypsilanti: Young people that can't afford Ann Arbor rent
Saline: The 1%
Dundee: Cabela's
Livingston County: Suburban sprawl and Jesusland

For where I grew up:
Manistee: Part industrial wasteland, part redneck, part ghetto, part condos nobody wants, part Victorian downtown
Onekama: Doctors who moved there to get their kids out of Manistee schools
Wellston: Rednecks that send their kids to Manistee schools
Irons: The South will rise again
Baldwin: Blacks and rednecks co-existing
Arcadia: Only known for the golf course that the 1% fly in to play at
Scottville: Drive Your Tractor to School Day

SectorZ

Personal stereotype -

Being a cyclist in eastern Massachusetts means I am commie fodder for anyone with a Trump bumper sticker on their diesel pickup.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 07, 2018, 02:51:59 PM
Quote from: bing101 on May 07, 2018, 02:37:09 PMYolo County

I bet the residents have a real carpe diem outlook on life  :-D

In real Life Yolo County is where People who got rejected from UC Berkeley and UCLA go to and they they enter UC Davis after spending time at community college.

In real Life UC Davis is where the Biotech Nerds go to when they realize that they can't afford South San Francisco's high costs.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on May 08, 2018, 10:42:02 AM
Personal stereotype -

Being a cyclist in eastern Massachusetts means I am commie fodder for anyone with a Trump bumper sticker on their diesel pickup.
They have those in eastern MA?  I suppose Republicans do come out of the western hills to buy their milk every now and then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

The People's Republic of Ann Arbor.

Hazel-tucky (Hazel Park)

bugo

Arkansas: inbreeders (partially true), rednecks (completely true), bad Interstates (not as true as it once was), bad state highways (very true), fried chicken (very true), Bill Clinton (true).

Oklahoma: flat (only part of the state is flat), wastelands (the state is very diverse geographically), toll roads (true), bad signage (partially true), bad roads (partially true), Native Americans (partially true), rednecks (true), pickup trucks (true), rodeos (true), earthquakes caused by fracking-related wastewater injection (very true), tornadoes (extremely true).

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on May 08, 2018, 06:07:40 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 08, 2018, 10:42:02 AM
Personal stereotype -

They have those in eastern MA?  I suppose Republicans do come out of the western hills to buy their milk every now and then.

Essex County and Middlesex County:

Ashby, Townsend, Pepperell, Tyngsborough, Billerica, Tewksbury, Dracut, Groveland, Salisbury, Rowley, Middleton, Lynnfield, and Saugus all voted for Trump.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

In Los Angeles:

Hollywood, Beverly Hills and northern suburbs (including Pasadena)--Wealthy white well-to-do residents
South Central and surrounding suburbs like Compton, Inglewood and Long Beach--Poorer black residents, most of who become gangsters

Also applies to Seattle, where Microsoft, Nintendo and Boeing are headquartered.
There are parts of the Northside of Chicago that are pretty rough. Generally anything along the Red Line north of Wrigley Field isn't the best area (Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park). The area around the Wilson and Lawrence Red Line stops aren't the greatest and around the Howard stop bordering Evanston there are some rougher areas of Rogers Park right there.

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on May 07, 2018, 04:24:02 PM
For where I live now:
Ann Arbor: Tree huggers and hippies
Ypsilanti: Young people that can't afford Ann Arbor rent
Saline: The 1%
Dundee: Cabela's
Livingston County: Suburban sprawl and Jesusland

For where I grew up:
Manistee: Part industrial wasteland, part redneck, part ghetto, part condos nobody wants, part Victorian downtown
Onekama: Doctors who moved there to get their kids out of Manistee schools
Wellston: Rednecks that send their kids to Manistee schools
Irons: The South will rise again
Baldwin: Blacks and rednecks co-existing
Arcadia: Only known for the golf course that the 1% fly in to play at
Scottville: Drive Your Tractor to School Day
Baldwin has always struck me as an odd area mainly because Lake County is the poorest county in Michigan and it seems like being in that part of the state it wouldn't be like that. I'm always interested in seeing what people say about Saginaw, it's like a mini Detroit.

Flint1979

Saginaw: A mini Detroit. There use to be a thing between the east and west sides (the Saginaw River divides the city between east and west) but it doesn't seem as much anymore due to the west side becoming just like the east side in many areas.
Flint: Another mini Detroit and about 40 miles closer to Detroit than Saginaw.
Midland: A safe community for the most part.

Max Rockatansky

A general one in Michigan (at least from when I lived there) was that anyone owned a lawn was hyper picky about it.  God forbid you make the mistake of stepping on someone's property line or otherwise molest the grass somehow with your presence.

Interestingly an older Michigan stereotype seems to be dying, the classic middle class smoker.  When I was growing up almost everyone smoked at school, work, in the house, car and even when you had dinner out on the town.  It was interesting to see almost nobody under the age of 30 smoking this past year.  Even more odd I saw people jogging/biking all over Metro Detroit and talking about all the great things to do outdoors.  Considering I left back in 2001 it felt like I had landed on some alternate dimension/reality where Michigan didn't become a rust belt state.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 09, 2018, 11:18:13 PM

In Los Angeles:

There are parts of the Northside of Chicago that are pretty rough. Generally anything along the Red Line north of Wrigley Field isn't the best area (Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park). The area around the Wilson and Lawrence Red Line stops aren't the greatest and around the Howard stop bordering Evanston there are some rougher areas of Rogers Park right there.

What odd statements these are.

ET21

Quote from: Henry on May 08, 2018, 10:51:15 AM
Here's a more detailed look at all three:
Chicago: http://judgmentalmaps.com/image/43010771109
Los Angeles: http://judgmentalmaps.com/image/78473663186
Seattle: http://judgmentalmaps.com/image/157571876790

I love how the top one, the "No shades of white walk out at night" is literally plastered over 95th (which is also my hometown). I'm proof that is a bad stereotype  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2018, 12:04:41 AM
Interestingly an older Michigan stereotype seems to be dying, the classic middle class smoker.  When I was growing up almost everyone smoked at school, work, in the house, car and even when you had dinner out on the town.  It was interesting to see almost nobody under the age of 30 smoking this past year.

I'd make the case that that's happening everywhere, not just in Michigan. It's becoming increasingly rare to see people smoking in public (although that's not necessarily an indication that fewer people are smoking).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on May 10, 2018, 09:49:32 AM
Interestingly an older Michigan stereotype seems to be dying, the classic middle class smoker.  When I was growing up almost everyone smoked at school, work, in the house, car and even when you had dinner out on the town.  It was interesting to see almost nobody under the age of 30 smoking this past year.

I'd make the case that that's happening everywhere, not just in Michigan. It's becoming increasingly rare to see people smoking in public (although that's not necessarily an indication that fewer people are smoking).

Yes, but the difference between people actually pursuing healthy lifestyles now versus virtually nobody when I was growing up was the real shocker.  My brother and I used to make jokes about how unhealthy people in Michigan were in addition to how much they smoked.  It was fairly amusing to watch a Red Wings game in Phoenix due to almost everyone outside in intermission was wearing red and holding a smoke.  IRC Detroit at the turn of the century was even rated the most obese city in the country. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2018, 09:53:56 AM

Yes, but the difference between people actually pursuing healthy lifestyles now versus virtually nobody when I was growing up was the real shocker.  My brother and I used to make jokes about how unhealthy people in Michigan were in addition to how much they smoked.  It was fairly amusing to watch a Red Wings game in Phoenix due to almost everyone outside in intermission was wearing red and holding a smoke.  IRC Detroit at the turn of the century was even rated the most obese city in the country.

Well, quitting smoking DOES slow down your metabolism...

cjk374

When I was a senior in high school (1992), I went to Washington, DC for National Young Leaders Conference. We learned how Congress passed/failed bills.

There were 360+ high school kids from across the country. When the kids in my group found out I was from Louisiana, the crazy questions started to fly:

1. Do you live in a swamp? Is your house on stilts? Apparently everyone thought that once you crossed the Louisiana state line, everything was swamps, gators, & raised houses.

Speaking of gators...

2. Do you have a pet alligator? I kid you not...I had the largest audience of straight-faced kids staring me down when that question was asked.

3. How do you say the word "onion"? In order to understand this one, you need to youtube the name "Justin Wilson".

4. Are you a Cajun? I guess the world thinks that all Louisianians are Cajun. We ain't. In fact, most cajuns think that everybody living north of I-10 are yankees!

There were 13 other students from Louisiana at this conference I attended. I met & talked with most of them the week I was there. They were all asked the same questions!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 10, 2018, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 10, 2018, 09:53:56 AM

Well, quitting smoking DOES slow down your metabolism...

Might have been that 1980s lifestyle in the Mid-West catching up with a lot of folks.  There wasn't much attention to things like personal health really until the 1990s.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on May 12, 2018, 04:46:15 PM
When I was a senior in high school (1992), I went to Washington, DC for National Young Leaders Conference. We learned how Congress passed/failed bills.

There were 360+ high school kids from across the country. When the kids in my group found out I was from Louisiana, the crazy questions started to fly:

Don't lie. I saw your pet gators during the LA meet. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.