News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Long time lurker, first time poster

Started by Nacho, May 18, 2018, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nacho

Figured I'd finally take the plunge and register.

Born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana, now living in Chicago, with stops in Wisconsin and Ohio along the way.

I can't say for sure where my interest in roads came from, but I think a lot of it was sparked by our family's annual trips to Maine. I enjoyed the sights, all the differences between states (as well as toll road/non-toll road differences), checking our progress in the atlas, etc.

Perhaps not surprisingly given my background, I tend to be especially interested in the highways of the Midwest. Perhaps surprisingly, I actually don't like driving much. I do enjoy road trips for the most part, but on a day to day basis I'd rather walk or take transit most of the time. Go figure.

kphoger

Welcome.

Chicago is an excellent city for transit, so I don't blame you.  I didn't own a car most of the time I lived there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Nacho

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2018, 03:56:18 PM
Welcome.

Chicago is an excellent city for transit, so I don't blame you.  I didn't own a car most of the time I lived there.

Lots of things within walking distance + good transit + it being a pain to get anywhere in the city with a car = it mostly just sits in the garage. When we moved here from Ohio I went from filling the tank slightly more often than once a week (due to a dreadful commute) to basically only filling up when we go out of town.

adventurernumber1

Welcome from the state of Georgia!  :wave:

I love the roads in the Midwest as well. Thankfully, I have had the opportunity to go both to Chicago and St. Louis, and I really enjoyed both trips.

I'll see you around on the forum!  :nod:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

Quote from: Nacho on May 18, 2018, 04:14:36 PM
Lots of things within walking distance + good transit + it being a pain to get anywhere in the city with a car

+ the price of a parking garage
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

adwerkema

Welcome from across the lake! Glad another Midwesterner is among us :)

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Kulerage

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jon daly

Quote from: Nacho on May 18, 2018, 03:53:22 PM
Figured I'd finally take the plunge and register.

Born and raised in Bloomington, Indiana, now living in Chicago, with stops in Wisconsin and Ohio along the way.

I can't say for sure where my interest in roads came from, but I think a lot of it was sparked by our family's annual trips to Maine. I enjoyed the sights, all the differences between states (as well as toll road/non-toll road differences), checking our progress in the atlas, etc.

Perhaps not surprisingly given my background, I tend to be especially interested in the highways of the Midwest. Perhaps surprisingly, I actually don't like driving much. I do enjoy road trips for the most part, but on a day to day basis I'd rather walk or take transit most of the time. Go figure.

Welcome. When I was about 7, our family took a daytrip from Connecticut to Howe Caverns in NY. I was following along with the atlas and thought that my dad was not taking the optimal route, so I was pitching a fit in the backseat. Even then, I thought that I was a great navigator.

Rothman

Welcome.  Spent my early years in Bloomington, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

Welcome!  I've lived in the Chicagoland area pretty much all my life.  The somewhat peculiar winding of the flyover ramps at I-88 and I-355 got me thinking and wondering about roadways, and I've been into them ever since.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

slorydn1

Welcome to the site, from a former NW Suburbanite.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Nacho

Thanks for the greetings, everyone.

Quote from: 1 on May 18, 2018, 05:20:14 PM
Welcome from Massachusetts!

I've spent a fair amount of time in Massachusetts since I have a lot of family there. My family usually vacationed primarily in Maine but we'd also spend a few days visiting my grandma on Cape Cod. I remember being particularly fascinated with the way old routes would be signed with a suffix: 6A and the like, in contrast to the usual practice in Indiana of simply giving the road a name like "Old SR 37."

Quote from: Rothman on May 20, 2018, 12:00:31 PM
Welcome.  Spent my early years in Bloomington, too.

It was a great place to grow up, and every time I go back it feels a bit like I never left.

Hurricane Rex

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.